Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Master Fan

HHGTTG Appreciation #1 - Let the Babel Commence

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

One Thursday lunchtime the Earth is unexpectedly demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass. For Arthur Dent, who has only just had his house demolished that morning, this seems already to be more than he can cope with. Sadly, however, the weekend has only just begun, and the galaxy is a very strange and startling place.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons is a curious time to have a cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his curious comrades in arms as they hurtle through space powered by pure improbability - and desperately in search of a place to eat.

Life, The Universe and Everything

The unhappy inhabitants of the planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads - so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the killer robots of Krikkit and their goals of annihilation...

So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish

Left at the end of LIFE, THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING with the address for God's Final Message To His Creation, Arthur Dent let this crucial information slip his mind.

Mostly Harmless

It's easy to become disheartened when your planet has been demolished for an unnecessary hyperspacial express route, the woman you love has vanished in a misunderstanding about the nature of space/time, the spaceship in which you are travelling crashed in flames on a remote and Bob-fearing planet, and all you have to fall back on are a few sandwich-making skills.

The above snipped from douglasadams.com

You can now buy them on CD as read by Douglas Adams, I know what I'll be getting next with my pin money.

Favorite character has to be Marvin and I seem to do great impersonations of him at parties (well I think it's pretty good). Next would be Zaphod.

Favorite book out of the series is Mostly Harmless.

I love the radio plays best of all but the TV series was pretty darn good too.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited Miss Cranky-Pants ]
Old 01-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Master Fan

This is one of the best trilogies that isn't out there. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] My favorite would be The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I liked Ford Prefect. There's something about his attitude that I really, really like. And Zaphod's ego would have to come second.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

My favorite character is of course Zaphod five million points for style with Ford coming in a close second. I must admit I haven't read Mostly Harmless...I'm still on page 823 of Battlefield Earth! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2003, 12:51 AM
jjt
Master Fan

Some quotes for ya ...

"`...You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them had you? I mean like actually telling anyone or anything.'
`But the plans were on display...'
`On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.'
`That's the display department.'
`With a torch.'
`Ah, well the lights had probably gone.'
`So had the stairs.'
`But look you found the notice didn't you?'
`Yes,' said Arthur, `yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard".'"
[img]smilies/goof.gif[/img]

==========================
"`Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.'
`Very deep,' said Arthur, `you should send that in to the "Reader's Digest". They've got a page for people like you.'"
===========================

"`You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasently like being drunk.'
`What's so unpleasent about being drunk?'
`You ask a glass of water.'"

:lol"
===============================================
Old 01-17-2003, 06:15 AM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Thanks for those quotes.

I remember years ago (mid 80's) playing an Amiga game based on the books and getting very frustrated.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:33 PM
jjt
Master Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Yeah wasn't that game frustrating!!! I think it's still around. I don't think I ever got out of the bedroom before the dozers got me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2003, 05:04 AM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] 1st time I played I got bulldozered!

BBC News

Quote:
Science fiction writer Douglas Adams's unfinished final novel is to be published next year, according to reports.
A Salmon of Doubt - the sixth episode of Adams's Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series - will hit book shops next May on the anniversary of the writer's death, reported the Sunday Telegraph.

The publication will reportedly be edited but remain unfinished following its recovery from files on the novelist's computer.

Adams died suddenly in May in Santa Barbara, California, following a heart attack. He was 49.

A Salmon of Doubt is said to have been found by his widow Jane Belson and his personal assistant Sophie Astin.

Adams is believed to have been working on the novel for almost 11 years.

His agent Ed Victor told the Sunday Telegraph: "We have pored over Douglas's hard drive. There were so many different versions of the novel.

"He would take it and then revise it repeatedly so there were many files.

"As soon as he wrote anything he would say, 'Oh, God that's terrible'. He was a very, very self-critical author and so had a lot of trouble writing. He was a perfectionist."

A Salmon of Doubt will reportedly be published as part of a collection of Adams's final writing, much of it previously unseen.

The collection is said to include magazine and newspaper articles, lectures, writings from his website and his work with BBC Radio 4.

It will also include the screenplay of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Adams became a household name when he wrote novels based on his BBC Radio 4 series, which were in turn made into a BBC TV series.

His other novels included the best-selling titles The Restaurant at the End of the Universe Life, The Universe and Everything, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish and Mostly Harmless.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I got 'Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' from the library yesterday, but I haven't started it yet.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Master Fan

Gah, the infamous HHGTTG Infocom text adventure ... I played that back when it came out for the Apple IIe. I got stuck without the babel fish in the Vogon ship for months, until some kind person lent me the clue book for it. You had to do like 7 different things to stop those annoying little cleaning robots from taking it!

I used to have large sections of the books and radio plays committed to memory ... "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm" etc. etc. I love the way DNA played with language in his writing.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Master Fan

BBC 7

BBC7 are transmitting the original radio programmes every day at 6-6.30 pm and repeated at midnight.

You can listen to it on Real Player if you don't already get BBC 7 on digital.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Total Fan

I'm a huge Arthur Fan. I mean, he tried to teach cave men scarabble [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Well Ford would say there not cave men but yeah, cavemen. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

My brother gave me his copy (hardcover copy of the entire trilogy) after he saw me literily drooling over a copy at Chapters last year. He didn't think I'd get it. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Brothers.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:42 PM
M3
Master Fan

I stole my brothers Trilogy copy and lent it to a friend. I THINK she gave it back. He's very upset about it so I try not to mention anything about it [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

I also bought it for a guy I was in love with. I doubt he ever read it, though he would have loved it, it was very his humor. He didn't love me back. Ah well.

I understand this was also a TV show in the UK? Color me envious. I'm still pissed that PBS no longer shows Red Dwarf [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] And my digital cable company must screw around with what shows they purchase for our BBC-America channel, because I have yet to see dinnerladies, which I used to watch religiously on another cable providers BBC-A channel. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Now I have to go to the library and find this book again. Damn you all [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Don't wanna be an American idiot. One nation controlled by the media.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by bizkitprinzess:
<STRONG>(hardcover copy of the entire trilogy) .</STRONG>

It got extended to 5 books ... from Douglas Adams.com

Quote:
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

One Thursday lunchtime the Earth is unexpectedly demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass. For Arthur Dent, who has only just had his house demolished that morning, this seems already to be more than he can cope with. Sadly, however, the weekend has only just begun, and the galaxy is a very strange and startling place.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons is a curious time to have a cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his curious comrades in arms as they hurtle through space powered by pure improbability - and desperately in search of a place to eat.

Life, The Universe and Everything
The unhappy inhabitants of the planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads - so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the killer robots of Krikkit and their goals of annihilation...

So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish
Left at the end of LIFE, THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING with the address for God's Final Message To His Creation, Arthur Dent let this crucial information slip his mind.

Mostly Harmless
It's easy to become disheartened when your planet has been demolished for an unnecessary hyperspacial express route, the woman you love has vanished in a misunderstanding about the nature of space/time, the spaceship in which you are travelling crashed in flames on a remote and Bob-fearing planet, and all you have to fall back on are a few sandwich-making skills.
[ 03-25-2003: Message edited C h r i s ]
Old 11-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Master Fan

Too cool!

Quote:
New radio Hitch-Hiker's

Production is under way on the Tertiary Phase of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with episodes due to begin airing on Radio 4 in spring 2004.

As we reported in September, independent company Above the Title have the rights to adapt Douglas Adams' novels for radio. It's now become clear that three of the Hitchhikers' novels are indeed getting their first radio adaptation.

A six-part adaptation of Life, the Universe and Everything will be up first in the spring. This will be followed towards the end of 2004 by an eight-week serialisation combining So Long and Thanks for All the Fish with Mostly Harmless.

The news comes just weeks after confirmation that the planned movie version of the original Hitchhiker's is finally emerging from mothballs.

As Hitchhiker's expert archivist (and Douglas Adams biographer) MJ Simpson says, "People have been talking for years about a feature film or a new radio series, but for both to be announced within a month of each other is, to coin a phrase, infinitely improbable."

On the production front, the great news is that the series will be written and directed by the massively experienced Dirk Maggs - Adams' own choice, as Simpson points out. Maggs' vast output includes previous radio serials featuring Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and Judge Dredd, plus several Agatha Christie serials via Above the Title.

The Hitchhiker's production is set to re-unite six members of the original cast: Simon Jones, Geoffrey McGivern, Mark Wing-Davey, Susan Sheridan, Stephen Moore and announcer John Marsh. Those joining them will include William Franklyn as the voice of the Book and Richard Griffiths as Slartibartfast. The late Douglas Adams himself will appear as Agrajag (a cameo he favoured playing) thanks to recordings made for Dove Audio's unabridged book readings.

As Simpson says, this is marvellous news. "Every sci-fi fan wants their old show to be reborn. Fans of Doctor Who have a new series to look forward to, and Thunderbirds fans have a feature film – but Hitchhiker’s Guide fans have both."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/cult/.../04/7768.shtml
Old 12-16-2003, 10:40 AM
Loyal Fan

*Reads above post* May I just say "wow?" New Dr. Who episodes, an HHGTTG movie, radio series, and the next book... *is now in a happy dream-like state* [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Do not presume that because I'm pro-gay rights, that I'm not a Christian.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread