Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2016, 06:14 AM
New Fan

Getting into Sci-fi/Fantasy

Hello everyone. I'm new here, this will be my first thread. I wanted to start a nice discussion while doing some introduction as well. Here it goes...

I'm an avid fan of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Funny thing is that I didn't start by reading it, I started by watching it. Scii-fi I both read and watched pretty much at the same time (mostly Star Trek). For Fantasy, It was purely watching it, and it started earlier than the sci-fi. My mother tells me that I drove her nuts with watching Wizard of Oz (1939) over and over and over on tape. Mary Poppins also (I guess that's semi-fantasy) I graduated to I Dream of Jeanie and Bewitched when they began to re-run that on Nick-at-nite. Anything with magic and dragons and...well just about anything fantasy, drew my attention. But, it was all just fluff until I watched the Hallmark production of Merlin and fell in love with epic fantasy, then came 10th Kingdom, and then came LoTR. I will admit, I watched the movies before I ever read the books. Now, I love it all. Not much for horror in any form. But, it if is epic fantasy, high fantasy, urban fantasy, YA fantasy, I'm a fan.

What about you? How did you learn to love Fantasy and/or Sci-Fi. Did you start with books, or was it watching it on a screen? Did you get interested playing games like MtG or D&D? What about it attracted your attention early on?
DanPeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

nice thread idea Thanks for starting it!

Personally, I loved sci/fi ever since I can remember. My brother is 15 yrs older than me and introduced me to it at a very young age, I think it was Star Trek at first.

Fantasy was different since there's nobody in my family who likes it apart from me, so it was through actors I liked that I checked out the genre.

I don't play computer games, apart from very rarely, with my son, but only Marvel and The Hobbit, the Lego games. I would have no idea how to play others
Old 09-22-2016, 06:48 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
nice thread idea Thanks for starting it!

Personally, I loved sci/fi ever since I can remember. My brother is 15 yrs older than me and introduced me to it at a very young age, I think it was Star Trek at first.

Fantasy was different since there's nobody in my family who likes it apart from me, so it was through actors I liked that I checked out the genre.

I don't play computer games, apart from very rarely, with my son, but only Marvel and The Hobbit, the Lego games. I would have no idea how to play others
Final Fantasy got me into gaming, so fantasy and sci-fi mixed. Skyrim inspired me to write. I don't play games like a true "gamer", but I do enjoy them now and then.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I remember watching Star Trek with my dad. Shows like I Dream of Jeannie or Bewtiched I would have watched because I wanted to.

As to reading, Arthur C Clarke and Issac Asimov are a couple I remember reading in my teens.

I've never been much of a gamer.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I Dream of Jeannie I was so in love
Old 09-22-2016, 11:57 AM
New Fan

Quote:
I Dream of Jeannie I was so in love
I got to meet Barbara Eden at a convention in Knoxville this year. I have several photos with her as well as a hand painted, replica Jeanie bottle she signed for me. Right next to her booth was a group who had a full sized replica of Toothless that you could get your picture on. She insisted on getting her picture. So, I had to make this.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

she must be very cool and fun.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

@ the picutre & caption. It looks like she's having a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPeyton (View Post)
Not much for horror in any form.
Me neither.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

sometimes sci-fi contains horror
Old 09-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

True, and I've never been a fan of Aliens because of it.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I'm gonna add this thread into the guide
Old 09-24-2016, 06:48 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
@ the picutre & caption. It looks like she's having a lot of fun.

Me neither.
Yay! I'm not alone. Other people can enjoy horror all they want, I am just not the type. I guess this is why I read/watch/write YA fantasy. Typically, it isn't dark horror.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Dan, just a heads up, I put your other thread in the General Discussion Thread if you're looking for it. If a certain topic fits in another thread, we are not supposed open a new thread for it here on Keeps things organised, less cluttered and easy to find.

I personally love horror Usually my perfect type of sci-fi is where the two genres are combined. I don't like gore though, I don't understand why some people need that included when suggestion based terror is more classy.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
I don't understand why some people need that included when suggestion based terror is more classy.
Completely agree with you there. Much prefer that they leave gory details to the imagination.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:41 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Dan, just a heads up, I put your other thread in the General Discussion Thread if you're looking for it. If a certain topic fits in another thread, we are not supposed open a new thread for it here on Keeps things organised, less cluttered and easy to find.
Thanks. This whole forum is still quite daunting to me. If I make more mistakes like that, please be understanding and let me know. I don't mean to break rules.
Reply   Post New Thread