Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Elite Fan

General Sci/Fi Fantasy News #1

Here's the place for all the wonderful SciFi news that crosses our paths on a daily basis.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Total Fan

How about the following three variations of the same news:

"Trek" Rediscovered by "Lost" Creator - http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060422/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

'MI3' Director to Do Latest 'Star Trek' - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060422/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

"Star Trek" franchise set for 2008 revival: report - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060421/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

And this bit of news about X-Men 3: "X-Men," "Da Vinci," Coppola Do Cannes - http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060421/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

And this about another remake: 'Earth' to Fraser for Jules Verne redo - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060421/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

I have been having a little trouble with the links so I apologize in advance for anything that does not work.

New 4/25 from tvguide.com: David Morrissey (Basic Instinct 2) is joining Emily Watson in The Water Horse, a fantasy based on a children's book.

Last edited by dukesmom; 04-25-2006 at 08:25 AM
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Elite Fan

I've read this, and I'm somewhat weary of it.....
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Total Fan

Here's a few more stories from the past couple of days, including a "clarification" of the J.J. Abrams/Star Trek collaboration:

Abrams Slightly Chills Some 'Star Trek' Rumors: http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/za...vies-headlines

Jon Favreau (of, say it with me Apprentice fans, "Zathura") has been tapped to develop and direct Iron Man, a big-screen adaptation of the Marvel superhero hoped to start filming in early 2007.

Will Smith Is 'Legend' - http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/za...news-headlines

Mike Myers is attached to star in How to Survive a Robot Uprising, a comedy about a techie researching ways to keep tin men from taking over.

Sci Fi enters realm of "Gods" - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060426/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--
Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 AM
Elite Fan

I'm scared of Chariot of the Gods...
Old 05-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Total Fan

Several more items I have picked up over the past week or so, mostly from tvguide.com:

Warner Bros. is back in development with a big-screen, live-action version of The Jetsons

Jan de Bont is developing The Un-Dead, the first Dracula sequel authorized by the descendants of Bram Stoker.

Jon Voight and Megan Fox (Hope & Faith) will join Shia LaBeouf in the live-action adaptation of Transformers, as in, yes, the toy-line-inspired cartoon. Josh Duhamel, Bernie Mac and John Turturro are said to be in talks to also costar
follow-up: Per Variety, Josh Duhamel and Bernie Mac are now officially set to join Shia LaBeouf, Jon Voight and John Turturro in Michael Bay's live-action Transformers: The Movie, to begin lensing this month

'Star Wars' goes back to basics: http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200...esbacktobasics

Catherine Zeta-Jones is in talks to play a psychic who has an affair with renowned magician Harry Houdini in Death Defying Acts, starring Guy Pearce.

Ron Perlman and Stephen Rea are on board for The Mutant Chronicles, a sci-fi action thriller based on the role-playing game.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom
The full article:
Quote:
By Mike Snider, USA TODAY
Thu May 4, 6:53 AM ET

Die-hard Star Wars fans soon can see the original theatrical versions of the first three Star Wars films on DVD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Even though George Lucas adamantly declared 2004's digitally restored Star Wars Trilogy DVDs the definitive versions of his movies, fans have held out hope for DVDs of the originals.

Their wishes will be granted Sept. 12 when Fox releases new two-disc DVDs ($30 each) of Star Wars (since retitled as Episode IV: A New Hope), The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi that include the films as they first appeared in theaters, along with the new, restored versions (now available in the four-disc $70 Star Wars Trilogy).

The individual DVDs will be taken off the market on Dec. 31, a strategy that Disney uses on many of its classic releases.

Lucas re-released his original three Star Wars films in theaters in 1997 with inserted scenes and improved special effects. Those "special editions" were further enhanced for the four-disc DVD set. With the original versions coming to DVD, here's what you'll see again:

• In Star Wars, Han Solo shoots a bounty hunter named Greedo. Lucas changed the scene later so it seemed that Greedo draws first, and changed it again for the DVD so that they appear to shoot simultaneously.

• In Empire Strikes Back, the ice creature that captures Luke Skywalker gets less screen time.

• In Jedi, Sebastian Shaw returns as Anakin in the movie's final scene. Lucas substituted Hayden Christiansen, who plays Anakin in the more recent films, for the 2004 DVD.

Back in 2004, Lucas told the New York Post, "The special edition is the one I wanted out there."

This new set of DVDs does not constitute "George changing his mind," says Lucasfilm's Jim Ward. "What we've always said is George viewed the revised versions of the films as the definitive versions."

Fan attachment to the originals is strong. The movies topped entertainment website IGN.com's recent chart of Top 25 Most Wanted DVDs.

"People want the option of having the movies that they remember and people are opposed to George Lucas' revisionist tendencies," says the site's Chris Carle.

The original films' video quality will not match up to that of the restored versions. "It is state of the art, as of 1993, and that's not as good as state of the art 2006," Ward says.
Oh my god! The dark side has finally been defeated! And I'm actually going to end up buying Star Wars dvds after all.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, lucasfilm is pissed at this, Fox wants to do it, and they still own some rights to the originals......i'm so happy, Han shoots first again.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

About bloody time.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Master Fan

The original Star Wars trilogy has been top on the most wanted DVD list since DVDs were created. I remember going to a store and flipping through their DVD collection (which at the time commanded a single 2m wide shelf), wondering why Star Wars wasn't there. I don't mind the new versions of the movies as much as some people, but it's good that they're finally coming out. Dunno if I'll buy them though - I've bought 3 versions of the trilogy over the years, I think I've reached my quota.

As for any Star Trek news ... I burnt out on Trek a long time ago, and I can't say as I've yet had any desire to go back to it. Maybe someday ...

I'm a bit out of the loop on SF/F news these days ... would anyone be interested in compiling a list of current/upcoming SF/F TV series, and maybe upcoming genre movies as well?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Elite Fan

How upcoming are we talking? Rest of the year, 6 months, 3 months?

This is how I feel about Star Wars right now:

Old 05-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryostar
How upcoming are we talking? Rest of the year, 6 months, 3 months?
Whatever someone wants to compile a list for With an associated guess at when they'd air. Considering lots of these genre shows are made for various cable channels, they're going to air in different places at different times anyway. Anything made for Sci-Fi isn't going to air anywhere else until it's finished on Sci-Fi.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Elite Fan

I'll start to work on it and get something out by next time I post.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Total Fan

Here are a few tidbits from the past week or so:

Knight Rider, Warcraft to Hit Theaters
Which news do you want first, film fans: the latest TV-to-movie remake or the newest video-game-to-movie adaptation? An affected electronic voice is telling me, "Matthew, I would think it smart that you lead with the cunning car." OK. Knight Rider, the 1980s series about K.I.T.T. the talking car, is being brought to the big screen by creator Glen A. Larson and the Weinstein Co. Production is expected to begin next year. In other Hollywood-has-no-original-ideas news, Legendary Pictures has snapped up the film rights to the superpopular World of Warcraft online fantasy video-game franchise.

There is new talk that Tom Cruise — fresh off M:i:III buzz — is reattaching himself to star in the big-screen Iron Man film, the New York Post hears, now that Jon Favreau has signed on to direct the superhero opus.

Ali Larter (playing Claire), Ashanti (as Nurse Betty) and Chris Egan (Mikey) have joined the cast of Resident Evil 3, says the Hollywood Reporter. They join returning stars Milla Jovovich, Oded Fehr and Mike Epps.

... at the Peacock network, .... Raines (starring Jeff Goldblum as a lawman who communicates with dead crime victims, seemingly making his job very easy)

Amaury Nolasco (aka Prison Break's Sucre) is the latest addition to the live-action Transformers movie, which seems to be starring half of Hollywood

Per the Hollywood Reporter, Disney has pushed back the release date for The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian from December 2007 to summer 2008, so as to avoid competing with the similarly themed fantasy fable The Water Horse

Per Variety, Rob Lowe will star in Stir of Echoes: The Dead Speak, a sequel to the 1999 Kevin Bacon film Stir of Echoes

Preproduction has been halted, perhaps for good, on Used Guys, the sci-fi comedy that would have reunited The Cable Guy's Ben Stiller and Jim Carrey

Rose McGowan, Freddy Rodriguez and Josh Brolin will join Marley Shelton and the Black Eyed Peas' Fergie in "Planet Terror," Robert Rodriguez's zombie-movie half of Grind House, the slasher film he's doing with Quentin Tarantino. No casting has been announced yet for Tarantino's "Death Proof."
Old 05-20-2006, 05:56 AM
Elite Fan

Or, you know, Duke's mom could do it.

In TV news, Stargate doesn't start back up until July, Battlestar until October...which sucks, mind you. Still no official word on Caprica or when it starts.

Most of the genre shows on Network TV have all been cancelled....but there's a glimmer of hope....a show coming to NBC called "Heroes". It's a story where a man starts to find out that everyday people around him possess super powers. It's starring the guy that played Jess from Gilmore Girls. I'm trying to get more information on it as we speak.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread