Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Fan

General Sci-Fi/Fantasy Discussion Thread

This is the thread to discuss everything SF/F related. Movies/t.v shows/Books/Comics.

I thought it'd be good if we had a different topic to discuss every few days, so I'll start.

What does everyone think of the new Batman and Superman films? Looking forward to or dreading?

Personally I can't wait to see Batman, I've never been a Batman fan but the trailer looks great and the cast is awesome. As for Superman, I had high hopes when I heard Brian Singer was directing but I don't think I've ever seen roles so miscast, Kevin Spacey as Lex? Kate Bosworth as Lois? I kept on waiting for them to announce Hilary Duff as Lana
Old 04-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Thanks for getting this started Suga.

I think that I"'l be inclined to see Batman in the theatre and wait until Superman is out to rent.

Agree with you that the thought of Kate Bosworth as Lois is just ... The red in the Superman costume isn't bright enough and looks strange, although the actor looks more the part than I thought he would. Sorry, can't think of his name right now.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
X-Men
Harrison Ford

Generally I have nothing but contempt for the Batman thing. I was never much impressed by DC comics and my view of the vaunted Batman films is that they're crap. But the Batman idea is not entirely without some merits and I like the idea of a new, dark, serious take and Christian Bale is an interesting actor. One of the biggest problems with Batman is the godawful unbearable silly villains and I'm not sure how they'll handle that in this movie. But one way or another, I am curious.

As for Superman, Kate Bosworth in ANY role is something I'd prefer to avoid. And her as Lois? YOWCH. What IS it with these superhero movies? They often seem to make ZERO attempt to cast appropriately. On the other hand, while Spacey wouldn't be my idea of Lex, I think he might do an interesting job. He's a damn good actor, after all. At least it isn't Gene Hackman. I've got nothing against the casting of the Superman actor himself.

tuck frump

Last edited by sum1; 04-27-2005 at 06:54 PM
Old 04-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Fan

I like Kevin Spacey, I just don't see him as Lex and I've gotten used to the idea of him Clark being the around the same age. I think the whole Lex and Clark were once friends thing was the best thing that SV thought up. As for Kate Bosworth, she's okay but she doesn't seem right for Superhero movies but then the only other suggestion I heard from fans was Charisma Carpenter and I'd much rather have Kate in the role.

I just don't like the idea of the movie, I don't think anyone will ever play a better Superman than Christopher Reeve and I kinda think big screen Superman should have been left with the old movies.

As for Batman, I've been a fan of Christian Bale ever since Velvet Goldmine and the rest of the cast is good too. Michael Caine, Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman are all awesome and I'm always surprised when I see Katie Holmes in anything other than DC, she's actually a good actress.

Last edited by Suga*Babe; 04-27-2005 at 07:30 PM
Old 04-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
X-Men
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suga*Babe
I like Kevin Spacey, I just don't see him as Lex and I've gotten used to the idea of him Clark being the around the same age. I think the whole Lex and Clark were once friends thing was the best thing SV thought up.
Point is, they're not doing Smallville, they're doing Superman and in the original Superman things were different and I think one should expect them to go with that.
Quote:
As for Kate Bosworth, she's okay but she doesn't seem right for Superhero movies but then the only other suggestion I heard from fans was Charisma Carpenter and I'd much rather have Kate in the role.
No, Evangeline Lilly was up for the part. But she obviously didn't get it. And Carpenter would have been ten times better than Bosworth. I can't BELIEVE they cast Bosworth. I've been very unimpressed by her acting and I think she's total miscasting even apart from that.
Quote:
I just don't like the idea of the movie, I don't think anyone will ever play a better Superman than Christopher Reeve and I kinda thing big screen Superman should have been left with the old movies.
Well, I have a lot less respect for the old movies or Reeve's take than you obviously do. Actually, I'd have been interested to see Tom Welling cast. Though I'm sure you wouldn't.
Quote:
As for Batman, I've been a fan of Christian Bale ever since Velvet Goldmine and the rest of the cast is good too. Michael Caine, Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman are also awesome and I'm always surprised when I see Katie Holmes in anything other than DC, she's actually a good actress.
Well she's IN DC now -DC comics though, not Dawson's Creek.

tuck frump

Last edited by sum1; 07-26-2007 at 04:51 AM
Old 04-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1
No, Evangeline Lilly was up for the part. But she obviously didn't get it. And Carpenter would have been ten times better than Bosworth. I can't BELIEVE they cast Bosworth. I've never seen her do anything I'd call acting and I find her hard to look at too. And she's total miscasting even apart from that.
I didn't mean Carpenter was up for the role but there was a discussion about it on lj and most people suggested her. Again, I'd much rather have Kate in the role than Evangeline Lilly.

Quote:
Actually, I'd have been interested to see Tom Welling cast. Though I'm sure you wouldn't.
Actually no, even though I don't think he's a great actor, it would have been cool if he were cast in the movie, he does a great job in the part.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
X-Men
Harrison Ford

Quote:
I didn't mean Carpenter was up for the role but there was a discussion about it on lj and most people suggested her. Again, I'd much rather have Kate in the role than Evangeline Lilly.
Actually, I think Carpenter WAS up for the role. But as for you preferring Bosworth to Lilly in the role, well I sure can't say I agree. Or even within a million miles of agree. I'm real angry they a) gave it to Bosworth and b) didn't give it to Lilly who I felt would be the best choice out of the various who were reported as up for the role.
Quote:
Actually no, even though I don't think he's a great actor, it would have been cool if he were cast in the movie, he does a great job in the part.
You're confusing, you know that? These Brits are crazy...

Btw, I'm not totally crazy about Bryan Singer getting the movie. Some of the things he did with X-Men pissed me off. Funny thing about Bryan Singer, though, is that he's a cousin of Marc Singer, the guy from V, the Beastmaster movies and season 3 of the Beastmaster show.

tuck frump
Old 04-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
You're confusing, you know that? These Brits are crazy...
What? I think he makes a good Clark Kent and I like him in the role but when it comes to emotional scenes or spewing out long pieces of dialogue he tends to be pretty wooden, like I said before though, he has improved since the earlier seasons.

As for Clark Kent the character on SV, I still think he's an ass
Old 04-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
X-Men
Harrison Ford

Quote:
What? I think he makes a good Clark Kent and I like him in the role but when it comes to emotional scenes or spewing out long pieces of dialogue he tends to be pretty wooden, like I said before though, he has improved since the earlier seasons.

As for Clark Kent the character on SV, I still think he's an ass
Well... I'm inclined to figure emotional scenes in Smaville tend to be pretty wooden with MOST actors (though not Rosenbaum obviously). As for long pieces of dialogue... well, in Smallville, when it comes to long pieces of dialogue... well SPEW is indeed the right word. The worst is probably Clark and Lana's "romantic" discussions. I feel like shouting "Jeez, shut UP already!"

tuck frump
Old 04-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Elite Fan

So who's up for the major scifi/fantasy films this summer?

Starwars
Hitchhikers Guide
War of the Worlds
Serenity
Batman Beigins

This is just to name a few.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I've got to see HHGTTG, Revenge of the Sith and Serenity. Some of the others I wouldn't mind seeing, but those three are definitely on my list.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
X-Men
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryostar
So who's up for the major scifi/fantasy films this summer?

Starwars
Hitchhikers Guide
War of the Worlds
Serenity
Batman Beigins

This is just to name a few.
I'll see the Star Wars one despite not wanting to. I'm dreading it. I'll see HHGTTG and Batman Begins at some point. I'm definitely curious about those two, though I wish they'd given Zaphod watchamacallims two heads like he's supposed to have. Serenity I want to flop, but I'll probably end up seeing it on rental just to make sure I can bash it properly. War of the Worlds can go screw itself. The book was crud and the movie has Tim Robbins, Dakota rent-a-moppet Fanning and Miranda awful-excuse-for-Eowyn Otto in it and I really don't need that. Plus I'm getting real tired of Spielberg's stuff.

Oh and Serenity is out on September 30, so it's not summer stuff.

tuck frump

Last edited by sum1; 04-29-2005 at 04:05 AM
Old 04-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Yeah, the Zaphod character won't be quite the same with just one head.

You want Serenity to flop?!?!?!?! I want it to be a massive hit and show the network how shortsighted they were to up and cancel it before they even aired all the episodes.

Quote:
Oh and Serenity is out on September 30, so it's not summer stuff.
Around that time we usually get a warm spell referred to as 'Indian summer'.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Total Fan

According to AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire, Zaphod does have 2 heads in the movie:
Quote:
... a repetitive, distracting special effect in which a second head pops out of his neck and starts talking while the first head just sort of dangles at the back of his neck.
As for which movies I will see: Return of the Sith, HHGTTG, Serenity - either in the theater or as a rental. War of the Worlds - maybe as a rental. Batman Begins - doubtful.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
X-Men
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
You want Serenity to flop?!?!?!?! I want it to be a massive hit and show the network how shortsighted they were to up and cancel it before they even aired all the episodes.
I thought the network was pretty smart to cancel Firefly. The show had too much look-amn't-I-clever and insufficient genuine heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Around that time we usually get a warm spell referred to as 'Indian summer'.
Well then I guess we can discuss what movies come out in India in September.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom
According to AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire, Zaphod does have 2 heads in the movie:
Quote:
... a repetitive, distracting special effect in which a second head pops out of his neck and starts talking while the first head just sort of dangles at the back of his neck.
Which is still one head most of the time. They should have done the sensible thing given him two heads ALL the time.

tuck frump

Last edited by sum1; 07-26-2007 at 06:50 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread