Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Addicted Fan

The Gates Appreciation #1 It's more than just a place to live.

Thread for discussing the new summer show on ABC called The Gates.

From the show's press release:
Quote:
THE GATES - PREMIERES SUNDAY, JUNE 20 (9:00-10:00 p.m.) - Nestled inside a private mountain community are The Gates. The image of perpetual suburban bliss, each street is lined with perfectly manicured homes protected by the massive iron gates, but a dark and delicious secret is buried just beneath the surface of this picturesque neighborhood.

Like most families that settle inside The Gates, the Monahans are unmoored from a complicated life they abandoned in Chicago. Named the new police chief of The Gates, Nick Monahan is expecting a change of pace in this quiet suburb. Nick's wife, Sarah, and their children, Charlie and Dana, are embarking on new adventures as well. Their house is to die for, but amidst the excitement, Sarah is still burdened with the revelation that her husband may not be the man she thought he was. Charlie and Dana will also face some challenges of their own: Along with navigating the trials and tribulations of adolescence, they'll also face the daunting task of fitting into their new upscale school, where their new friends run in tight-knit packs.

There's something very different about this place, almost... haunting. Unions will be complicated by friends with unnatural influence, insatiable housewives will struggle with ravenous cravings, and teenagers will be cursed with keeping their beastly instincts in check. The Monahans are facing an uncertain fate. Nick is about to be tangled up in a mystery where he will begin to piece together the dark truth about their new home, and the supernatural elements that lurk behind the shadows of The Gates.

"The Gates" stars Frank Grillo as Nick Monohan, Marisol Nichols as Sarah Monahan, Rhona Mitra as Claire Radcliff, Luke Mably as Dylan Radcliff, Travis Caldwell as Charlie Monohan, Skyler Samuels as Andie Bates, Colton Haynes as Brett Crezski, Chandra West as Devon, Victoria Platt as Peg Mueller, Justin Miles as Marcus Jordan and Janina Gavankar as Leigh Turner. "The Gates" is produced by Fox Television Studios. The series is executive-produced by Gina Matthews and written and executive-produced by Grant Scharbo and Richard Hatem.

Here are some links:

IMDb: "The Gates" (2010)

Official ABC site: ABC.com - The Gates - Home

Some links from blastr (formerly SciFi Wire):

We break down the first 17 supernatural minutes of The Gates | Blastr

ABC's new summer show is like Jaws ... with vampires! | Blastr <--- How I found out about the show!

So anyone want to discuss this with me? My first question is to wonder just what type of creature Leigh is, and my second is to wonder just when Andie's dad will have that important father-daughter talk.
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

Awesome! Thanks for the thread!

I love this show, I am curious as to what is in the box that was 'stolen' in the last episode.

Any theories?

ETA:

I think Leigh is a witch or something and what ever is in the box may represent her life.

As for Andie, what is she?
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Addicted Fan

Andie is a succubus. Peg was talking to her dad about it in the 2nd episode. Tasty tidbit is that her mom was a succubus. I am assuming her dad is a normal human, so it's would be interesting to learn how they got together.

As for Leigh, there were a few people on the IMDb board who suggested she might be a genie. I don't know, but I think that would be cool because that is a particular supernatural being that we just don't see too often.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Elite Fan

I remember now the mention of Andie being a succubus, I just forgot!

That's a cool idea of Leigh being a genie, it would be something that hasn't really been done before.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Elite Fan

this is show is really interesting! i love all of it so far!
ChakotaysLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Elite Fan

So do I!

Can't wait til Sunday!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Elite Fan

so far I like Clair and I like Leigh
Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Addicted Fan

I decided to check out the ABC site since I hadn't looked at it before finding the link for the OP. They've got some podcasts on there, and I enjoyed them after the initial one. The 2nd one was done by the teen love-triangle cast, and the actors seem excited about what they are doing and interested. It's not the same old love triangle or even the same old supernatural.

The 3rd and 4th were done by the actors who play Marcus and Leigh. The actress who plays Leigh is a really fun person on a podcast. She even mentioned that she reads fanfic! How cool is that.

Oh, and I love that the show films just up the highway from me. I live about a 3 hour drive south of Shreveport (not in the Gulf, but not all that far from it when it's hurricane season). The former Lieutenant Governor was really active in trying to get filming done here, so there are many tax incentives to lure in productions. So I think it's cool that this is one of them.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Elite Fan

that is so awesome that you live so close!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Addicted Fan

Yeah! I feel like I could drive there and maybe bump into the cast/crew. I don't know really, though, since I'm not sure if it's filming now. Since the summer order was only for 13 episodes, they might have already done it.

I hope it gets a good chance to find an audience. I'm concerned about the vampire and werewolves backlash that's starting to happen because they are also particularly popular now. That's most of the negatives that I've seen... people being bored with what they think is the latest trend and not even giving the show a chance.

And if you don't mind me to get on my soapbox for a moment, I am really irritated that bloggers and reviewers and whoever else want to compare this all to Twilight. I find that really, really lazy writing because Twilight is only a recent example of something that's been popular for a long time. I want to tell them to get an original line and do some research. That's supposed to be part of their jobs, after all.

Okay, that's it for my soapbox moment.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Elite Fan

people get hooked on a trend and they refuse to give other shows take on the same trend a chance. and they just irritate me!! But I love the show and Ihope it get renewed!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Addicted Fan

There's a new article about The Gates on blastr, but I can't seem to copy the link. It's saying that tomorrow's episode is a game-changer, particularly in the last 5 minutes where the show really comes into its own.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

^^ It might reveal what Leigh is and change up what we thought we knew.

But a preview for tomorrow nights new episode also showed that the cop sees Claire's husband feeding and confronts him.

That is not a spoiler as it aired on a TV promo.

ETA:

Promo for tomorrow night's episode:

Old 07-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Now that I think about it, it's nice to know that Dylan isn't as cool and in control as he likes to make Claire think. He acts like she's the one with a problem. Good to know it isn't just her.

I am still curious how the rules of this work and if all vampires have to use the super-duper SPF lotion (like I guessed was in the pilot) or not. I'm wondering how Claire's buddy Christian gets around and acts like nothing's wrong.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Elite Fan

It seems like within the Gates, it's not acceptable to let your vices be known, when outside the Gates, all is game. And that is why Christian can do what he does without abandon.
Reply   Post New Thread