Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

A Game of Thrones on HBO ~ Season 6 Episode Discussions

Welcome to
"A Game of Thrones"
Season 6 Episode Discussions

Quote:
“Following the shocking developments at the conclusion of season five, including Jon Snow’s bloody fate at the hands of Castle Black mutineers, Daenerys’ near-demise at the fighting pits of Meereen, and Cersei’s public humiliation in the streets of King’s Landing, survivors from all parts of Westeros and Essos regroup to press forward, inexorably, towards their uncertain individual fates,” says HBO. “Familiar faces will forge new alliances to bolster their strategic chances at survival, while new characters will emerge to challenge the balance of power in the east, west, north and south.”

Episode 6.01: "The Red Woman"

Air Date: Sunday, April 24, 2016

6×01 is written by Thrones showrunners David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, and is directed by Jeremy Podeswa (who also directed “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken” and “Kill the Boy” in season 5).

“Jon Snow is dead. Daenerys meets a strong man. Cersei sees her daughter again.”

source: Hypable

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~

Last edited by Lutesse; 04-20-2016 at 05:53 PM
Lutesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I cannot wait until Sunday!
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

One more day!

Old 04-25-2016, 02:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

All that anticipation and it was just ok. I mean it was quite good, but for a season opener, I expected more. Of course Jorah and Khaleesi never disappoint.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:39 AM
Extreme Fan

Thanks very much for creating the thread. It's nice to have a place to obsess talk about the new season of GOT.

I thought the first episode of the season was very good, even though it all went by really fast. When you least expected it, it was over.

I knew that Jon is not going to just die like that. They can't do that to us. It all points to a resurrection. From that famous Stannis quote saying that Jon Stark will rise to Melisandre saying she saw him fighting in Winterfell to Davos saying that Melisandre can do basically anything.

And the first thing that crossed my mind when The Red Woman became really old in the end of the episode was that she was giving her life to Jon.

But more likely it is the show finally revealing her real age.

It wasn't surprising to me because the show already implied that she was very old and maybe is immortal. The power of the necklace was something that was also implied before when she drank the poison back in season 2 and didn't die and then the necklace glows. Although I don't think it's the necklace that makes her young because she was already seen without the necklace before and didn't get old.

It's really nice to see a confirmation of her real age, anyway.

Even if the scene was just to reveal her real age, I still think she's going to give her life to Jon. I think she's going to sacrifice her eternal life to awake Jon, so he can finish what he's supposed to do. What she saw in her vision. Because she really believes her visions. You can question her actions, but I do think Melisandre does the things she does because she really believes that's the right thing to do. She really believes the Lord of Light. We know through Beric Dondarrion that the Lord of Light can resurrect people, so it's probably because of the Lord of Light that she has her powers and gained immortality (at least I think she is immortal).

I also think the scene represents her vulnerable side. Everything went wrong and she's helpless, faithless and doesn't know what to do.

Anyway, the beauty of that final scene was the naked old version of Melisandre. I like the meaning behind this transformation. I mean, some people watch GOT to see naked women and to objectify women and suddenly one of the women being objectified for many seasons is showing her real appearance. That's not what the writers intended to do, probably. But I like to see things this way.

My favorite moment of the episode was Brienne and Sansa reunited. I had totally forgot that Brienne was after Sansa when she suddenly came in and saved the day. And when Sansa accepts Brienne's oath. It was very touching, especially with Pod helping Sansa with the words. I just love Brienne and her dedication. It's going to be very interesting to see Brienne and Sansa together. Great pay off, this reunion.

Second favorite moment was Cersei's grief and despair. Another wonderful scene. Cersei really loves her children. I love when we get to see a more vulnerable side of Cersei. And she really believes the prophecy now and that all her children will die. The desperation on her face... Lena Headey is fantastic. Why she didn't win the Emmy yet is beyond my understanding.

The beginning of the episode was a bit scary. I liked to see a little bit of scary winter. Probably, the most known quote of the show is "The Winter is Coming" and we're six seasons in and no scary winter at all. I mean, the kind of winter that would kill people.

The Arya storyline is intriguing, but at the same time I feel it hasn't really taken off. I don't get exactly what's going on. The metaphors. I'd have to go deeper into this to understand. I think it is about "there are more in this world than just vendetta". I don't know, this "ready or not" thing needs to take off...

What else... Ramsay being Ramsay. It still shocks me. By far, the scariest and most disgusting character on the show.

I was relieved to know that Danny won't be raped. For a minute, I thought the writers would go there... again.

I just didn't like what happened in Dorne.

Oh and I wanted/expected to see Bran. Gonna have to wait a little more. No problem. Just knowing that he's going to be in this season is good enough.

IloveJules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:04 AM
Passionate Fan

I don't know, I think Melisandre's faith in her visions has been shattered at this point. Maybe she will rally and believe again in time to bring back Jon. I don't think that she doubts the Lord of Light, but I think she has lost faith in herself as a servant for him. She misunderstood all the visions. I just think that whatever happens, Kit will either be coming back sometime this season or next year, whether is is "Jon Snow" or not.

I can't wait for Ramsay to die. Seriously.

I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit bored again this season with Arya's story.

I've never liked Theon, but I felt some warm and fuzzy feelings for him last night. Being brave at last.

I wonder how Daario and Jorah are going to get Dany out of there? Another Drogon rescue?

I felt like the old Jaime from early seasons was back this episode. And I understand why...but all I want to do is get him away from Cersei.

~Katie~
Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:10 AM
Absolute Fan

^ What are you picking on Cersei for?

Both she and Jaime have grown on me over the course of 5 seasons, to the point that they join Tyrion (along with Dany and Arya) as my top 5 favorite characters.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
^ What are you picking on Cersei for?

Both she and Jaime have grown on me over the course of 5 seasons, to the point that they join Tyrion (along with Dany and Arya) as my top 5 favorite characters.
Well, we all have our favorites (and least favorites). I did feel some sympathy for Cersei last night. But in general I hate her character. Not at all the same way I hate Ramsay (who I don't enjoy watching at all)...she is a character I enjoy watching, I just don't *like* her.

I'm picking on her because I think she has a terrible effect on Jaime (who I like very much). She brings out the worst in him. Jaime wants to be honorable and noble. Cersei drags him down with all her conniving and scheming. Jaime was at his best, IMO, when he was around Brienne.

~Katie~
Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Absolute Fan

I personally think you give Jaime too much credit, but to each their own.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

I tend to agree with Katie. Lena is a wonderful actress and she does justice to the scheming and manipulative (and incidentally, murderous) Cersei; but I can't forgive all the damage she's done and the intense satisfaction she derives from torturing her "enemies."
Loving her children is well and good but that doesn't make her any less evil in my eyes.

EM, I loved your review! Welcome to the SF/F board! I hope you'll be a regular visitor here.

I agree with your analysis of Melisandre. I hope she does mean to sacrifice herself to bring Jon back (or whoever he'll be). I wasn't expecting to see her ancient form but I think it was very well done.
She's another who has done much evil in the name of her religion and I'm rather pleased to see her finally doubting herself. I hope Davos won't do as Jaime is doing, reassuring her that she was justified in her destructive path.

My favorite part of the episode was Brienne and Pod coming to Sansa's rescue. We literally cheered! And then, the wonderful scene when Brienne offered, and Sansa accepted, her service.

I'm guessing that "Waif" will make Arya fight every day until her skill with the staff overcomes her blindness. At least for now, I'll think of it as another cruel part of her training.

I was relieved, too, that Dany was spared another rape. At least she should be safe at Vaes Dothrak until she can be rescued. By Jorah? or Drogon? or perhaps by Tyrion on dragon-back?

Seriously, we were shocked when the episode was over. Fastest hour of TV ever! The previews have Bran and I'm looking forward to seeing him. I loved his storyline in the books. Of course, the HBO version will be very different.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was holding off on visiting this thread until I watched the episode and honestly it was kind of bland.

Not much was really revealed in my opinion, so I hope the next episode is more interesting.

I liked the reveal of the Priestess, Melisandre though.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

No, the first episode of a new season is always a 'Here's where we left them and here's what is happening to them now' setup.
It's a shame they have to eat up a precious hour out of only 10 to do that, but I suppose it's necessary.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It sucks that we sort of loose an episode for a recap really.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:29 AM
Master Fan

it was not a great season premiere
i am very interesting in the storylines of Sansa & Arya
MyLastDayWithoutYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

I suppose we'll have to wait until Ep 3 at least to see if Jon Snow rises from the table.

Reply   Post New Thread