Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutesse (View Post)
Well clearly, I need to make a point of seeing it. I'll check my son's dvd library first ..
I am sure it is in it
looking at the stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm so excited for tomorrow. Shindig's my favorite episode.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Me too! It isn't my favorite episode - I think that would be "Out of Gas" - but it's very enjoyable. Kaylee and her dress!

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Lutesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Do we have any additional comments about "Bushwhacked?"
If not, I'll start the discussion page for "Shindig" at post #126.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Sounds good to me. I don't think I'll watch the next eppy until Monday or Tuesday.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

February 8, 2015 ~ This week's episode: "Shindig"

"Shindig" ~ Original Air Date November 01, 2002
Written by Jane Espenson, Directed by Vern Gillum

Quote:
Synopsis: Inara attends a formal society dance, only to find Malcolm there as well, attempting to set up a smuggling job.
Mal comes to blows with Inara's conceited date and finds himself facing a duel with a renowned swordsman, and only one night to learn how to fence.

DVD cover: "In order to secure a job transporting cargo off-planet for a client, Mal attends a social event where a dance with Inara leads to him
being challenged to a swordfight in defense of her honor."

Old 02-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

SHINDIG!
  • I like how it wasn't a different planet every single time. They returned to some on occasion and were able to show that in the short run the show had.
  • I love how Kaylee has a girly side while being so great with and passionate about machines. I will argue myself to death with anyone who says the Firefly women weren't well written.
  • "You want a slinky dress? I can buy you a slinky dress. Captain, can I have money for a slinky dress?"
  • I'm glad that "Kaywinnit" has a nice sounded short version that she can go by because what were her parents thinking?
  • It actually took me to when Mal told Inara "you came over to me!" to realize that they were a thing. That totally went over my head in the first three eps.
  • But back a little: "The sash." "The sash." "It indicates Lordhood." "And...it's doing a great job."
  • "You've messed up Atherton's face and that has endeared you to me somewhat." Harrow is just fantastic.
  • I don't know why, but it always makes me laugh so hard when Bader's guards show up and Kaylee is with them and the way Jewel delivers her flat. "Hi."
  • Morena said in the commentary for this episode that she learned so many other fencing moves that she didn't get to use here, and I wish we'd have been able to see them!
  • I do understand Mal saying that him and Atherton are different even though they both use the word 'whore'. Still doesn't make what Mal does right, but he always uses "whore" in place of the word "Companion," and Atherton used it in place of not her job, but her name (you set this up, Whore.)
  • "I say Zoey gets nekkid." "Nope." "I could get nekkid." "NO."
  • Mal is willing to die to defend Inara's honor and she is willing to essentially sell herself into sex slavery to save his life TELL ME AGAIN HOW THIS RELATIONSHIP WAS "ALL ABOUT SEX."
  • I love how they were telling Mal that they'd had a plan and Wash was all "I was gonna watch!"
  • And the last scene.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Love your notes, Nicole!
Now I need to try to forget them because I'll be watching it in about an hour.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

My absolutely favorite episode! And for Firefly, that's saying something.

It's been entirely too long since I watched this series, and I'm loving rediscovering just how awesome it is.

Jayne: "Is she mad or something?"
The excellent thing about this comment is that it makes it extremely unlikely that Jayne's gene's will ever be passed on to another generation.
Murphy: "Why Banning Miller, what a vision you are in your fine dress. It must have taken a dozen slaves a dozen days to get you into that getup. 'Course your daddy tells me it takes the space of a schoolboy's wink to get you out of it again."
MOST AWESOME PUT-DOWN!!! Kaylee inspires admiration in even a total stranger - enough that he's willing to slash a society "lady" to ribbons in her defense.
Inara apparently knows Kaylee's full name - and "Kaywinith" is not a name one shares with any but one's closest friends.

Kaylee: "Up until the..punching...it was a real nice party."

What is it with Kaylee and fruit? And I love when she's shown as the belle of the ball - surrounded by beaux young and old - all talking engines!

There's so much said and unsaid in Mal and Inara's little fight when she's trying to teach him swordfighting. It truly was the conclusive proof that there was something between those two. I remember when I first watched it, even my mom picked up on it, which surprised me because my mother rarely recognized on on-screen romance until there was actual kissing - or other obvious activities.

Mal: "Mercy is the mark of a great man." STAB "Guess I'm just a good man." STAB "Well, I'm all right."

I love when Inara gives Atherton his comeuppance. I hope the man is ready for a very frustrating, lonely life.

I love how this episode really combines the mixture of hightech - ships, or maybe aircars zipping across the sky about the ball venue, floating chandeliers, etc - with the reversion to an antebellum-like society with lords and balls, extreme divisions in class and the practice of slavery. Although apparently, class lines have evolved beyond race, at least somewhat since there multiple races attending the ball. I wonder what the line of division is, in that case. Is it simply money? Or do political affiliations (Alliance vs Independents) play the bigger factor?

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

"Shindig" is probably the most light-hearted episode of Firefly and I love it! Even Badger was relatively non-threatening.
  • In Persephone, Kaylee spies the ruffled dress
  • Zoe would rather have a "slinky" dress, and that does get Jayne's attention
  • Badger intercepts Mal and Jayne and suggests a 'shipment'
  • Jayne just eats everything on the table
  • Back at the ship: weird card game. Why does River rip the labels off cans?
  • Zoe and Wash .. omg And they are hilarious together!
  • At the Shindig: Kaylee calling Mal "Captain Tight Pants"
  • Kaylee is the center of attention when the male conversation turns to transport ships. She's adorable!
  • River speaking Badger's 'language' was awesome!
  • At the "duel" - Mal asking Inara not to stay with Atherton .. "I don't like fellas that kill me, not in general"
  • Great "mercy" lines - Mal got most of the best lines this episode
  • Mal: "See how I'm not punching him? I've grown."
  • Inara's classic line: "Besides, why would I want to leave Serenity?"

So much more, but these were my favorite bits.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes to "let her talk, she's talking, dance later."

Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

• - Mal when he realizes his snarky comment about the dress has hurt Kaylee's feelings
  • - the look of pure joy on Kaylee's face when she enters the ball
  • - "Captain Tightpants"!
  • - Jayne using the distraction of River peeling the labels off the cans to cheat at the card game
  • - Wash & Zoe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
  • I like how it wasn't a different planet every single time. They returned to some on occasion and were able to show that in the short run the show had.
I liked the continuity. Space is a big place, but they obviously have their home ports.

Quote:
  • "I say Zoey gets nekkid." "Nope." "I could get nekkid." "NO."
Jayne didn't need threats of force, just offering to take his clothes off had everybody cowering.

Quote:
  • Mal is willing to die to defend Inara's honor and she is willing to essentially sell herself into sex slavery to save his life TELL ME AGAIN HOW THIS RELATIONSHIP WAS "ALL ABOUT SEX."
They each must care very deeply about the other, even if they won't admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Murphy: "Why Banning Miller, what a vision you are in your fine dress. It must have taken a dozen slaves a dozen days to get you into that getup. 'Course your daddy tells me it takes the space of a schoolboy's wink to get you out of it again."
MOST AWESOME PUT-DOWN!!! Kaylee inspires admiration in even a total stranger - enough that he's willing to slash a society "lady" to ribbons in her defense.
That bit was absolutely terrific. Then Kaylee holding court with all the guys talking about ships! Great gif set there Sherry

Quote:
Mal: "Mercy is the mark of a great man." STAB "Guess I'm just a good man." STAB "Well, I'm all right."

Quote:
class lines have evolved beyond race, at least somewhat since there multiple races attending the ball. I wonder what the line of division is, in that case. Is it simply money? Or do political affiliations (Alliance vs Independents) play the bigger factor?
Good point. There's obviously some sort of class division, but it's not clear how it's determined.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Yes to "let her talk, she's talking, dance later."
Yes, I thought that was funny as all hell too Kaylee is KooL like that 8|
I tried to read every one's post. I loved seeing what all y'all enjoyed the most about this episode. I will for sure keep up with the next re watch thread ..now that I have a place to discuss one of my all time fav shows now Cheers to the creator of this Thread..!!

1: Badger to Mal "Thought we might have a bit of a sit down"
Mal to Badger "Prefer a bit of a Piss Off"

2: "The Security System at The Shindig to find Concealed Weapons"

3: River talking to Badger about the old homestead..!!

Last edited by Morphine Blazed; 02-12-2015 at 09:24 AM Reason: spelling
Morphine Blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Welcome to the thread! I hope you are able to join us going forward. And please feel free to add your comments on any of the previous episodes.

River mocking Badger was awesome!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
Welcome to the thread! I hope you are able to join us going forward. And please feel free to add your comments on any of the previous episodes.

River mocking Badger was awesome!
Thanks Chris..!! I am Love'N this entire FaNforuM..!! Everyone has been really, really KooL making me feel welcome I did not see Firefly when it aired back in September, 2002 ..I was active duty military, and out to sea. I did NOT see this amazing show till 2009 when I caught Serenity on the sci fi channel. I just thought it was a really awesome Movie till I googled it, and to my surprise found out I had 14 KickAss episodes to digest..!! I was HooKeD..!! Thanks for letting me share my intro story with y'all ...Cheers
Morphine Blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread