Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *~*Rach*~*
In my opinion, definitely not. Personally, I hate (well, hate may be a tad strong) both space shows AND westerns, so for a show whose description is that its a western set in space, its a big surprise that I like it. But I feel like those are just settings and plots for each episode, really, the important things are the characters and how they interact.
Good to know. I might go pick it up sometime next year, I was just wondering if it was going to be "too sci-fi" for me. Y'know?

kenny | credit
Old 12-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ALLSTAR
Good to know. I might go pick it up sometime next year, I was just wondering if it was going to be "too sci-fi" for me. Y'know?
I am one of the LEAST 'sci-fi people' in the world (whatever a 'sci-fi people' is... ), and I adore Firefly. I'm a Joss fan first & foremost, so I was onboard Serenity before the show even aired on tv, but the 'traditional' sci-fi elements don't seem to be present/dominating in this series. No aliens. It's just people, surviving 500 years in the future, with many of the same problems that people today experience. Brilliant dialogue, compelling characters, incredible stories. Thumbs WAY up, IMO!

‘If I fall and die, it will still have been worth it,’ she had thought.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Elite Fan

Exactly. People say "spaceship" and you immediately think of things like Star Trek and even though a lot of the elements are there; the fighting, the gadgets (mostly the holographic type stuff) ... but it just doesn't have a sci-fi *feel*.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *~*Rach*~*
... but it just doesn't have a sci-fi *feel*.
That's awesome news, thanks!

kenny | credit
Old 12-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Elite Fan

I was just about to say, by the way, that I loved your yama-claus icon, but I love your new Freudian slippers one even more! I loved that line
Old 12-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Elite Fan

I know. I want 'em. Both avaters were cool. I'll prob alternate the two of them.

kenny | credit
Old 12-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Elite Fan

I was telling my friend who doesn't watch The OC and she just didn't *get* it. *sigh*
Old 12-24-2004, 02:15 AM
Extreme Fan

I don't think of Firefly as a Sci-Fi show either. I was selling the concept of the show to my friend yesterday and as soon as I mentioned "space ship", he said: "Oh good God, Sarah! Not another friggin' sci-fi show!"

Glad you guys enjoyed the gag reel. Nathan being in every shot for 'The Message' is one of my favourite moments That, and the the opening credits that were made to look like The Love Boat!

Old 12-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ALLSTAR
Do I have to be a big SciFi freak to like it. Because, I am not a fan of SciFi.
Well, I'm a huge sci-fi fan, but my mother isn't. She watched an episode with me once I got my DVDs and then insisted on watching all of them. She can't believe how much she got into it, since she's pretty much always making fun of me for my sci-fi shows, but now she's eagerly waiting for the movie with me. So, no, you don't have to just like sci-fi to like Firefly.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 12-31-2004, 06:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Anla
Well, I'm a huge sci-fi fan, but my mother isn't. She watched an episode with me once I got my DVDs and then insisted on watching all of them. She can't believe how much she got into it, since she's pretty much always making fun of me for my sci-fi shows, but now she's eagerly waiting for the movie with me. So, no, you don't have to just like sci-fi to like Firefly.
The same thing happened to me! I'm not a big sci-fi fan to begin with, but I was hanging with mom one day, and popped in the pilot episode, just for the heck of it. She LOVED it!!

Old 01-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Master Fan

I wonder how many more people can be converted to the Firefly love before the movie comes out.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 01-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I wonder how many more people can be converted to the Firefly love before the movie comes out.
Here's one! I'm new. Just started watching the eps with a friend a couple weeks ago. I bought the boxed set yesterday and have been watching non-stop. I love this show! So many wonderful parts. I'm so glad I found this board.

My favorite ep is either Shindig or Our Mrs. Reynold. Though Naked Mal in Trash was pretty amusing also.

Oh I'm so excited about the movie!!!

[Nathan/Haley] [Jim/Pam] [Matt/Julie]
Old 01-06-2005, 04:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

Add me to that list!

Wasn't all that keen when I first heard about it, primarily cos DA was being cancelled by FOX but because Wheedon was in charge and Buffy/Angel were such quality I did take a peek. The only eps I caught the first time it aired on SKY in the U.K were the one with Jubal the bounty hunter and the one with the brothel. I was impressed with them as individual episodes and I did find River very interesting as a character to explore. Then of course it had got cancelled anyway so I didn't really think anymore about it.

The SCI-FI channel just recently re-aired all of them. I only noticed part way though the first run, but then they repeated them all again so I have now watched them right through from the proper original Pilot up to the end. It's an excellent show, can't understand why it was cancelled, and I am now really looking forward to seeing 'Serenity' when it comes out.

Esther
-I won't walk away- JEWEL.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Elite Fan

My Dad wants to watch! Of his own accord, without me! Bless him! He said he noticed in the TV guide that one was on Sci-Fi a few weeks ago, but my brother was watching Thomas the Tank Engine so he couldn't have a gander He read the description out to me and it was Heart of Gold - I'm going to lend him my DVDs and make him watch.

After all, Nathan told me to!
Old 01-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Master Fan

Welcome, new Browncoats!!

Rach - - your dad is AWESOME!

Closed Thread   Post New Thread