Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I loved "Objects in Space". One of my favorites of the episodes. The first time I watched it, I was 99% certain that there was no way River could have actually become the ship. However, this is a Joss Whedon show, so I wasn't prepared to completely rule out any possibility. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And was I the only one who found it very spooky when River tells Early that she's Serenity and that "Serenity's very unhappy" (not sure of the exact quote on that one - guess I'm going to have to watch it again).

Also the little bits of thoughts that River picked up at the start of the episode were interesting. The one that hit me right away was Mal thinking about how nothing matters. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Mal's one of my favorite characters, but he is pretty messed up (unsurprising, considering everything he's been through). It's Book's thoughts that seem the more concerning, though.

And speaking of Book - I can't see him as turning in River and Simon. It doesn't seem like him, plus I would think that he would have done it before then. But he could very well have some ulterior motive for being on the ship. It seems in "Serenity" that he picks the ship at random, but who knows? He recognizes the name and makes the connection as to why Mal chose it (one of the deleted scenes). Maybe he had something to do with the war and the battle of Serenity Valley. He says he's been out of the world for a while at the abbey, but I don't recall him ever saying how long exactly.

I'm a pretty conventional shipper, so I just saw Mal/Inara, Simon/Kaylee, Wash/Zoe. But I guess Mal/Kaylee would be interesting. I do really enjoy their scenes together. At the point in time of the show, I think it was more family-like than romantic, but I guess anything is possible as the story continued. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-12-2004: Message edited Anla ]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 01-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Anla:
<STRONG> The first time I watched it, I was 99% certain that there was no way River could have actually become the ship. However, this is a Joss Whedon show, so I wasn't prepared to completely rule out any possibility. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] </STRONG>
as i said above, i guess the reason why i wasn't "reasonable" about this was that it remembered me of 'Lexx' where the ship talks and has its own personality. *sheepish- [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]*

Quote:
<STRONG>I'm a pretty conventional shipper, so I just saw Mal/Inara, Simon/Kaylee, Wash/Zoe. But I guess Mal/Kaylee would be interesting. I do really enjoy their scenes together. At the point in time of the show, I think it was more family-like than romantic, but I guess anything is possible as the story continued. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
i saw Mal/Kaylee at several occasions. still since "The Train Job" was the first episode i saw, Inara/Kaylee were my favourite ship - remember the hair-brushing scene? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] other than that - did any of you see Jayne/River? i got a vibe that his hostility had undertones of affection. you can call me crazy. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img], nikki

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 01-14-2004, 02:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

I found the instructions for the Adam Baldwin sings "The Hero of Canton" easter egg, I won't be able to try for a while, let us all know if it works or needs to be tweeked

1. Insert Disc 4.
2. From the main menu, select Special Features.
3. Select More.
4. Highlight, but do not select, "Joss Sings the Firefly Theme".
5. Press Left-Arrow, highlighting the ornament above.
6. Press SELECT.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Dedicated Fan

I went and found the egg. OMG!!! It is so funny. He does all these motions and gestures and he doensn't sing at all well. It was funny.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Addicted Fan

My DVD player is on my computer. Will the directions still work the same?
Old 01-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikki K:
<STRONG>other than that - did any of you see Jayne/River? i got a vibe that his hostility had undertones of affection. you can call me crazy. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Well, Jayne does seem like he could still be at the emotional stage of picking on a girl to show he's interested. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'm not sure that I can see River in a couple at the point she's at in the series, though. Maybe later on, after she's gotten a bit better (although she was making progress by the end of the series) who knows what could happen?

I actually could never decide if the vibes I picked up where Jayne/Kaylee were concerned was Jayne just being protective of Kaylee like all the crew was, or if he was more interested in her than that. If so, that could also add to why Jayne disliked Simon so much right away.

And hey, this was a Joss Whedon show. Anything could happen. That's why I left that little 1% possibility of River actually melding with the ship. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I've seen the "Hero of Canton" easter egg. So funny. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[ 01-19-2004: Message edited Anla ]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 01-21-2004, 02:07 AM
Elite Fan

I totally agree with you, that I can't see River in a relationship at this point of the story. But maybe later.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anla:
<STRONG>

Well, Jayne does seem like he could still be at the emotional stage of picking on a girl to show he's interested.</STRONG>
Excatly [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] - and you know what came to me even more when re-watching his interaction with River: especially later, after the incident where Jayne tried to sell her and Simon out and she sensed his bad conscience, she wasn't afraid of him any longer - indeed she seemed quite amused and even chaffed him a bit. So with both of them being not really mature/grown-up, it's some 'Kindergarten-Love'-thing and kind of cute, IMO [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] -

Quote:
<STRONG>I actually could never decide if the vibes I picked up where Jayne/Kaylee were concerned was Jayne just being protective of Kaylee like all the crew was, or if he was more interested in her than that. If so, that could also add to why Jayne disliked Simon so much right away.

</STRONG>
Actually I saw that too - but I just took it as a more big brother/little sister thing. Hence his jealous/protective act when Simon came along. Just my 2 cents though. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img], nikki

[ 01-21-2004: Message edited Nikki K ]

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 01-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Total Fan

I completed my first run-through of the entire series last night (my usual shows were all repeats so I had a Firefly mini-marathon). I’ll go back and watch all the shows again with the commentaries and view all the extras later. I had forgotten just how funny the show was/is.

For what it's worth, I think Jayne's biggest problems with Simon are his intellect and money. Jayne would still dislike Simon if River were not in the picture.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, that's true. And Jayne isn't exactly a "people person". Not to mention the fact that he initially saw Simon and River as a way of getting money by selling them back to the Alliance. But I think that things were changing between Jayne and Simon. I really liked their scene in the infirmary in Trash. Simon was awesome.

I always find it interesting how Jayne is really only loyal to Mal. Even in Ariel, when he betrayed Simon and River, he honestly didn't seem to see it as betraying Mal (although Mal definitely did). That confrontation with Mal really seemed to drive home a few things to Jayne. Jayne is loyal to Mal, and is fond of Kaylee. Then he becomes friends with Shepherd Book. I wonder how he would have continued to develop as a character as the show went on.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikki K:
<STRONG>Actually I saw that too - but I just took it as a more big brother/little sister thing. Hence his jealous/protective act when Simon came along. Just my 2 cents though. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I'm more inclined to see Jayne/Kaylee as big brother/little sister, too. But again, the show didn't last long enough for me to reach a definite conclusion.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 02-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Addicted Fan

I was reading sci-fi wire today and there was a small news blurb about "Serenity" the Firefly movie being listed on the Universal website for upcoming movies.

I checked it out, and there is something called "Serenity". Unfortunately, there is nothing to click to get more information. (At least, it didn't work for me.)
Old 02-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Master Fan

Oh, I'm really hoping that the Firefly movie gets made. There were so many unanswered questions left when the show went off the air, and I want to see the Serenity crew again. Plus, with the LotR movies finished, I need another movie to get all excited about going to see. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 03-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Dedicated Fan

Congrats Browncoats and fans of the like... the Firefly movie is a GO. The official press release is as follows...

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., March 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Joss Whedon -- the Oscar® -- and Emmy-nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and ANGEL -- is set to make his feature film directorial debut with the futuristic action-adventure SERENITY, it was announced today by Mary Parent and Scott Stuber, vice chairmen, production, Universal Pictures.
Based on Whedon's cult hit television series FIREFLY (which has taken on a second life following its December 9, 2003, DVD release, winning new fans and critical praise worldwide), SERENITY will continue and expand upon the adventures of the memorable characters launched in the series, who will be joined by new characters created expressly for the motion picture adaptation. Whedon will act as both screenwriter and director, with Barry Mendel (THE SIXTH SENSE, UNBREAKABLE and the upcoming Wes Anderson film, THE LIFE AQUATIC) producing and Chris Buchanan (president of Whedon's Mutant Enemy production company) and Alisa Tager (of Barry Mendel Productions) serving as executive producers. The SERENITY cast will include such returning FIREFLY cast members as Nathan Fillion as Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds, Gina Torres as Zoe Warren, Morena Baccarin as Inara Serra, Jewel Staite as Kaylee Frye, Adam Baldwin as Jayne Cobb, Sean Maher as Dr. Simon Tam and Summer Glau as River Tam.

"We have wanted to be in business with Joss Whedon for a long time and we're incredibly excited to be working with him on his feature film directorial debut," stated Parent and Stuber. "Joss is a true creator, whose talent crosses all mediums. His mythic worlds are inhabited with rich, detailed and very human characters. SERENITY will provide him with a great opportunity to paint another larger-than-life canvas with very identifiable, real characters at the heart of the story."

Whedon -- whose compelling use of character, place and dramatic development helped BUFFY and ANGEL to break down genre walls and cross over into global hit mainstream territory -- now applies his trademark compassion and wit to a small band of galactic outcasts 500 years in the future. The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, "Serenity." He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family -- squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal.

When Mal takes on two new passengers -- a young doctor and his unstable, telepathic sister -- he gets much more than he bargained for. The pair are fugitives from the coalition dominating the universe, who will stop at nothing to reclaim the girl. The crew that was once used to skimming the outskirts of the galaxy unnoticed find themselves caught between the unstoppable military force of the Universal Alliance and the horrific, cannibalistic fury of the Reavers, savages who roam the very edge of space. Hunted by vastly different enemies, they begin to discover that the greatest danger to them may be on board "Serenity" herself.

In addition to creating the series FIREFLY, ANGEL and BUFFY (as well as serving as executive producer on all three while writing and directing multiple episodes), Whedon's feature film screenwriting credits include the original motion picture BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, TOY STORY (for which he received an Academy Award® nomination) and ALIEN: RESURRECTION. Whedon also composed the music and wrote the lyrics for the self-directed BUFFY episode "Buffy, The Musical," and the CD of the original songs from that landmark episode has sold more than 400,000 units. Whedon was nominated for the Emmy for outstanding writing on the BUFFY episode entitled "Hush." BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER is the second highest-selling television series on DVD.

For more info on upcoming Firefly Movie news, link right over at Firefly The Movie.

Nadia

"No power in the verse can stop me"

[ 03-04-2004: Message edited Nautica7mk ]
Old 03-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/pinkie.gif[/img] Yay, a Firefly movie! Awesome! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 03-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh wow!! I didn't know that Firefly was going to get a movie. I'm psyched!! Yayy! I was just trying to decide earlier this week whether to buy the DVD set but hadn't made up my mind. Now I definitely have to get it since there's a movie coming out.

Does anyone know when the movie will air?
Old 03-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Elite Fan

They better tie up the Mal/Inara and Simon/Kaylee stories!

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]