Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Master Fan

Favourite Sci-Fi Quotes #1

What are some of your favourite profound/memorable/humourous quotes from sci-fi? Share them here!

Here are a few of mine to get us started:

"All around us, it was as if the universe was holding its breath, waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition, or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both.

"G'Quan wrote: There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and dispair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition to be born. In moments of transition, noone knows the shape of the future, or where it will take us. We only know that it is always born in pain."

- G'Kar, Babylon 5

"I have always been here."
- Kosh, Babylon 5

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
- Litany against Fear, Dune

"The show is the show - it never changes."
- Master of Ceremonies, Lexx "2.18 Brigadoom"

[ 11-18-2003: Message edited Raonaild ]
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:29 AM
Master Fan

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

Babylon 5 is one of the best sources for quotes.

"If you value your lives, be someplace else."

"I want to live just long enough to see the day when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike, as a warning to the next ten generations that some things come with too high a price. I'd look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this."

"Who am I?" I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Good luck Captain. You're about to go where everyone has gone before.

"No one here is exactly what he appears."

Farscape

"Frell me dead."

"Repent? Ha ha ha ha ha. We have less than an arn. I was a Dominar. It will take me longer than that to repent."

"Keep your mouth shut." "You do the same with your legs."
enigma777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Master Fan

Babylon 5 had some cheesy dialog at times ... but when JMS had a point to make, he wrote some great lines. The way he played around with variations on the questions "What do you want?" "Who are you?" "Why are you here?" "Where are you going?" in the dialog was brilliant.

As for Farscape quotes, I love the dialog on that show, it feels very realistic. Here are a couple of favourites off the top of my head:

CRICHTON: I'm in... a hell of a slump here. Everything I do just makes things worse.
SCORPIUS: Well then... do better.

CRICHTON: My name is John Crichton, Astronaut. I was *not* at the Refreshment House after-hours, I was not *present* at any bombing or explosion, I did not have a *private* meeting with the beautiful Miss Sarova. The end. Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

CRICHTON: You been lyin' to your daddy, boy, and you know you shouldn't lie to your daddy! It's gonna stop! Who's your daddy?! Come on, you know who your daddy is. Who's your daddy? -- D'Argo tell'm who his daddy is!
D'ARGO: I'm your daddy.
CRICHTON: That's right!

CRICHTON: Work now... freak later.
STARK: Oh, yes... that's fair.
CRICHTON: Good.
STARK: How much later?

[ 11-21-2003: Message edited Raonaild ]
Old 11-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

From SeaQuest DSV/ SeaQuest 2030

"Were' from different tribes. He's analog, I'm digital." (Lucas)

"This is your best friend here. You give whatever it takes, even if it takes more than you got." (Tony Piccolo)

"It had to be a mistake. How can you flunk a woman in a sexual harassment seminar?"
"Aw, I don't know. Maybe 'Been there, done that, I know where to kick them next time' is a bit too brief of an answer for the essay part of the exam."

"Darwin loves Bridger." (Darwin)

"You know, Intelligence can only take us so far. Then we have to get out and walk." (Capt. Bridger)

"The light is dark and one" (Darwin, Lucas, Capt. Bridger)

"You can go right now, but you can't come back." (Capt. Ironsides)

"I'm not a freak. I'm a prototype." (Dagwood)

[ 11-21-2003: Message edited Saturniia ]
Lucas Wolenczak: (angrily) Because intimacy, and I don't mean sex, is important to me too. But adults always put their needs in terms that make mine seem unimportant... Wait in line Lucas, stand over there Lucas, take a number Lucas. We'll get to you.
Saturniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Stargate:

Soldier(in Russian): Are you soviet Spies?

Daniel: Niet.

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2003, 01:12 PM
Loyal Fan

'Get away from her, you bitch.' (Ripley, Aliens)

Do you like the way I rock it?
Boy, I think it's so chaotic
Curbside Pr0phet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Dedicated Fan

Babylon 5
"Not the One."~Zathras
"It is a sad life it will probably be a sad death, but at least there's symmetry."~Zathras
"Landing thrusters. If I were landing thrusters which one of these would I be?"~Londo
And just about every word G'Kar spoke.

Farscape:
"You were in my shoes, I was in your pants."~Aeryn
"He said help me, not chant me over to the other side."~Crais
"Hold still or I'll shoot you full of little yellow bolts of light"~Crichton
"I told you. You all say I'm paranoid, but it's true – no-one ever frelling listens to me!"~Rygel
"I've been around long enough to know how ignorant I am. I don't assume the universe obeys my preconceptions. Huh! But I know a frelling fact when it hits me in the face!"~Rygel

"If you'd lived I could have truly changed. But you are gone, and I am what I was bred to be." ~Aeryn
There is no guilt, there is no blame, only what is meant to be. Grow through your mistakes, and know that if patient, redemption will find you."
~Zhaan
Old 01-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Part-Time Fan

Babylon 5:

"Only one human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."
Old 01-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Scythe:
<STRONG>Stargate:

Soldier(in Russian): Are you soviet Spies?

Daniel: Niet.</STRONG>
Heh, I liked that one ... I've seen a couple more recently that I liked too:

GENERAL RYAN (Chief of Staff for US military): Thus far we like your work.
O'NEILL: Thank you Sir. I like yours. Your Air Force. The Air Force. I love the Air Force.

GENERAL VIDRINE: General Hammond has told me nothing but good things.
O'NEILL: Has he, Sir? Well, then I'm sure he's left something out.

JACOB: All right, we're almost finished. Sam's just finishing.
DANIEL: Um, that's good, because I don't think they bought my act.
JACOB: Why? Who'd you say you were?
DANIEL: The er... great and powerful Oz!

[ 01-08-2004: Message edited Raonaild ]
Old 01-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Total Fan

I love the stuff they say on Farscape, my brother has caught me quoting from it.

Have we sent the "Don't shoot, we're pathetic" transmission yet? - John Crichton

Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack! - John Crichton

Open your ears or tentacles or whatever orifice it is you listen with! - John Crichton

That was so Batman! - John Crichton

Because I am an American! And what does an American want? Democracy? Capitalism! I want to sell out and settle down. For one day only, it's a blue light special on Aisle Three! My wormhole technology... and a free set of steak knives... for all the tea in China! And anything you can imagine to pay me... welcome to my cold war. - John Crichton

Ah, screw it. But I am not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Buck, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. I'm Dorthy Gale from Kansas. - John Crichton

I broke out in the last one when ym friends were fighting one day and they all just starred at me for about ten minutes... I laughed for about three hours over that. I pulled out the second to last oen too one day, there only comment; "Your not American..."

Edited because: The best book quote has to be the one from Dune, the Bene Gesserit one about Fear being the mind killer. I wish I had my copy of Dune around...

[ 01-09-2004: Message edited bizkitprinzess ]
Old 01-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

these are from the movie merlin with Sam Neill as merlin

Ambrosia: I must say that's typical. You've been sliding down the ladder of success so long you must have splinters on your backside."

Lord Vortigan: How are you? I know I've been a little hot tempered. Patience is not one of my virtues.

Merlin: Oh you have so few of those I wouldn't concern myself too much with that one Sire."

Merlin: Now in my day magic was more common place. Oh well, all things change, the arrow of time points in one direction only."

"Rule number 369 when dealing with unfamiliar magic: When in doubt, leave it alone." LKH

"Do you love money Mister Dresden?"
"I used to think I loved it. But now I realize it’s just a dependency"-HD
Isilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 06:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

"We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?

...Kif, I'm asking you a question."

-- Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Chandler in a box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Raonaild:
<STRONG>
Heh, I liked that one ... I've seen a couple more recently that I liked too:

GENERAL RYAN (Chief of Staff for US military): Thus far we like your work.
O'NEILL: Thank you Sir. I like yours. Your Air Force. The Air Force. I love the Air Force.

GENERAL VIDRINE: General Hammond has told me nothing but good things.
O'NEILL: Has he, Sir? Well, then I'm sure he's left something out.

JACOB: All right, we're almost finished. Sam's just finishing.
DANIEL: Um, that's good, because I don't think they bought my act.
JACOB: Why? Who'd you say you were?
DANIEL: The er... great and powerful Oz!

[ 01-08-2004: Message edited Raonaild ]</STRONG>
They were from Tangent [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I watched that yesterday [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Does Buffy fit into the sci-fi fantasy catagory? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Scythe:
<STRONG>Does Buffy fit into the sci-fi fantasy catagory? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I'd consider Buffy fantasy. But I've avoided the Buffy quotes so far, because I could go on for pages [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Raonaild:
<STRONG>
I'd consider Buffy fantasy. But I've avoided the Buffy quotes so far, because I could go on for pages [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] Couldn't we all?

Have to post this one though:

Spike: Let's go save them by gum!