Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

The Edge Series by Ilona Andrews Appreciation #1

Welcome to the 1st The Edge Series by Ilona Andrews Appreciation thread

Quote:
The Edge

It’s a very odd story of a very odd place. The Edge lies between worlds, on the border between the Broken, where people shop at Walmart and magic is a fairytale–and the Weird, where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. It’s a place where poverty is real, life is hard, and fairy tales sometimes do come true.
Source

On the Edge (Book 1):
Quote:
Rose Drayton and her two young brothers live in the woods between two worlds: the Broken (mundane smalltown Georgia) and the Weird (a world of strong magic and rigid social hierarchy). Those on the Edge between the two possess individual magical abilities. Rose has perfected her talent, a deadly white flash, and now the Weird's aristocrats envy her power. Is it a coincidence that vicious hounds invade to steal magic and destroy the Edgers just as Weird blueblood Declan Camarine demands that Rose become his bride? Though Rose rejects Declan's advances, the two must join forces to save her brothers and others on the Edge.
Source: Amazon.com
Bayou Moon (Book 2):
Quote:
Cerise Mar and her unruly clan are cash poor but land rich, claiming a large swathe of the Mire, the Edge swamplands between the state of Louisiana and the Weird. When her parents vanish, her clan’s long-time rivals are suspect number one.

But all is not as it seems. Two nations of the Weird are waging a cold war fought by feint and espionage, and their conflict is about to spill over into the Edge—and Cerise’s life . William, a changeling soldier who left behind the politics of the Weird, has been forced back into service to track down a rival nation’s spymaster.

When William’s and Cerise’s missions lead them to cross paths, sparks fly—but they’ll have to work together if they want to succeed…and survive.
Source
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiagonalZipper (View Post)
How do you like The Edge compared to KD?
I definitely liked BM more than the first, but they still don't compare to KD
Now, to answer that - I didn't get into the first book that easy, it took me quite some time to be honest and it sure isn't Kate Daniels to me. It isn't a bad book, far from it, but doesn't life up to KD standards in my opinion.

Now, Bayou Moon - this one I got into quite easily and it grabbed me far more than On the Edge. I think BM was a step in the right direction and I found it far more enjoyable than On the Edge. Not 100% sure why, but maybe because I couldn't completely warm up to Rose and her family in the first book. Found it easier to warm up to the characters in BM
Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Elite Fan

ICA I doubt I'll ever reread On the Edge, but I could easily reread/buy BM

I don't know what it was either, but I was quite indifferent to the characters of OtE and I wasn't too sold on the world
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Elite Fan

I should read this since I loved Kate - got too many other books on my to-read list, though. And soon it's Kate 5 time!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Elite Fan

I did a re-read of the first book. Liked it way better the second time.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiagonalZipper (View Post)
I don't know what it was either, but I was quite indifferent to the characters of OtE and I wasn't too sold on the world
Yeah, the world felt different to me And even thought it was the same 'universe' as in BM, it couldn't really grab me.

Dan, you should give it a try if you get the chance

Chrissy, really? Maybe I should try a re-read.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Elite Fan

It's more of a Paranormal Romance than KD, though -- so be semi-prepared for that

I don't really want to reread OtE, have way too many books to get to.. but maybe I might in the future haha
Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Elite Fan

I think I liked it better the second time because I accpeted how different it was from the Kate Daniel series.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Elite Fan

I can understand that, but I don't think I care about Rose or Declan at all and since they are the majority of the book...
Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

^ Understandable

It's hard to get into a book if you don't really care for the main characters
Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Elite Fan

William was far more interesting to me
Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll need to get the 2nd book eventually.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

I just read the first and second books, I like the series -- I love Ilona Andrews so I thought I would anyway.

I think I liked Bayou Moon a bit more... I don't really know. Neither holds a candle up to my burning love of Kate Daniels so I'm not going to say that I /REALLY/ liked either.

I liked reading from William's POV because he was so wolfish at some points and I thought that was brilliant.

I watch a lot of shows.
Shay-La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Welcome Shay-La I didn't love the first one either and haven't read the second one yet - it's they are badly written but they are no Kate Daniels