Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 06:08 AM
New Fan

Earth Sea Appreciation #1

Did anyone else watch this mini-series on Sci-Fi? What did you think?

I thought it was okay. I didn't think it was as good as they hyped it up to be. I thought the ending was horrible. It seemed like it all happened too fast and it was over. And that last line about it being another story what happened to them - <cough Neverendingstoryripoff cough>.

I thought the cast was good. The villan king, I think he was a king, was very good in that role.

I think they should have stretched it out a little longer to explain some more things and give it a proper ending. Make it a three part series instead of a two part.

I found the Skeletor evil creature slightly annoying, just the way he talked. I loved the landscape of the islands and the buildings.

I like the whole idea of Earthsea. I really liked their wizarding school, almost seemed to put Hogwarts to shame. If magic were real, I'd rather go to that school I think.

I loved the idea of secret names. That actually comes from the Bible originally. I like how when a wizard spoke it, it sounded different.

I didn't quite understand what the Faith Women were and were all about. Something I don't feel the movie explained very well. Also, the nameless creatures being released at the end seemed confusing too.

Guess you have to buy the book to understand. :p
Old 12-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

On it's own, it was okay, but as far as the adaptation of the books, I thought it was horrible. I know movie and TV adaptations are never 100 percent the same as the books they are based on, but some of the things that were changed were just annoying or pointless. I think the part at the end about there being more stories is a hint that they'd like to do more mini-series for the other books in the series. With some of the changes they made in this mini-series though, they'd make the whole point of Tehanu meaningless.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Loyal Fan

I thought Earthsea was good, it has been forever since I read the book it was based on and can barely remember what it was about which may be a good thing. I think that the actors were well selected for their roles. Sebastian Roche was great as the king, although I think that I prefer him better as Gawain. I think the Halmi's have done better, namely Merlin, but all and all it wasn't bad. The only complaint i lodge is at the ending. It really ended quickly and I felt like it left the audience hanging. Otherwise the scenery was great, along with the special effects. Overall good movie.

Matt Goss' New album Coming Soon

Everything Is Numb3rs
Wildcat492002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:07 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz
On it's own, it was okay, but as far as the adaptation of the books, I thought it was horrible. I know movie and TV adaptations are never 100 percent the same as the books they are based on, but some of the things that were changed were just annoying or pointless. I think the part at the end about there being more stories is a hint that they'd like to do more mini-series for the other books in the series. With some of the changes they made in this mini-series though, they'd make the whole point of Tehanu meaningless.
Maybe they'd like to turn it into a tv series. Though they may have trouble getting Kreuk since she's already starring in a tv series. I haven't read the books, but I'm tempted to just to make better sense of the movie.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:00 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz
With some of the changes they made in this mini-series though, they'd make the whole point of Tehanu meaningless.
Great! I hate Tehanu.

I'll give this a shot when/if it makes to to Space.

AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

SamCarter, I don't think they'd need Kreuk anyway since her character doesn't appear again in the books until Tehanu and then she's an old woman.

AlexEvans, some of us happen to love Tehanu and SciFi has already ruined enough Earthsea books for one lifetime, IMO.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Fan

I can't decide if I should dl this or not, I'm a fan of Isabella Rossellini but every time Kristin Kreuk comes on screen my eye starts to twitch

So, is it worth watching even though I'll have a sore eye by the time it's done
Suga*Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz
AlexEvans, some of us happen to love Tehanu and SciFi has already ruined enough Earthsea books for one lifetime, IMO
I didn't realize that. I did think that Tehanu contradicted the original Earthsea trilogy, but maybe it didn't... I'm glad you enjoyed the book a lot more than I did.

I will still give the mini-series a try if it airs here, but I won't get my hopes up too much. It's so hard to convert books to TV/movies. Even adaptations I've enjoyed (eg. LOTR) have been substantially different from the original sources.

AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

I enjoyed Earthsea. I thought it was well put together. I especially loved Vetch (?) He's probably my favorite character out of them all. I wouldn't mind a tv series as aslong as Tenar is recasted. Kristin Kreuk seemed so out of place. That irritated me to no end.