Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Master Fan

Doctor Who #3: "What this country really needs, right now, is a Doctor"

Welcome to the new Doctor Who thread! Last thread is here.

Reminder for anyone who hasn't voted yet - there's a campaign to get Doctor Who it's own board. Vote Saxon!

Other related Doctor Who threads here at FF:

http://www.fanforum.com/f118/torchwo...lack-62782786/
http://www.fanforum.com/f88/doctor-r...ther-62804664/
http://www.fanforum.com/f26/david-te...-way-62804342/
http://www.fanforum.com/f26/john-bar...-1-a-62803267/
http://www.fanforum.com/f50/doctor-w...read-62795405/

Reminder that, between seasons, anything plot or casting related that is officially announced by BBC or the Doctor Who production team is fair game, but any rumours posted elsewhere are considered spoilers. If in doubt, use spoiler tags.

Also, reminder to US Doctor Who fans that the Runaway Bride and Smith & Jones are airing tonight (Friday) on Sci-Fi. For Canadian fans, after a week hiatus, S3 will be back with Gridlock on Monday.

For anyone curious about classic Doctor Who, BBC Worldwide has posted a bunch of old Pertwee, Tom Baker and Colin Baker clips.

I've been rewatching the last few eps of the season, and I noticed a continuity error I hadn't noticed before: in the finale, Captain Jack mentions his nickname used to be the "Face of Boe", seemingly oblivious to the fact that the Doctor and Martha had heard that name before. Yet, two episodes before in Utopia, when the Master is revealed, Martha practically shouts at the Doctor right in front of Jack, "Remember what the Face of Boe said?" and he didn't even flinch at the name.

Also, did everyone notice that "the sound of drums" is the actually the drum rhythm from the Doctor Who theme? In the same way that the view of the "Untempered Schism" that drove the Master insane is actually the "tunnel" long used Doctor Who credits - in fact, if you look closely at the shots from Gallifrey, you can see faces in the schism around the edges, possibly Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee (which would make sense since the tunnel opening sequence was used for both of those Doctors).

So, basically the message is, if you watch too much Doctor Who, you too could go mad just like the Master. And one sign of that madness is that you can't get the theme tune out of your head
Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread.

So how long till Christmas?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Passionate Fan

voted! dr who so needs its own board!!

only 5 months to go...
Old 07-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread Rachel, great intro by the way.

karma killer, thanks for the vote! You don't have any friends who like The Doctor and would consider voting for the show this month or if not this month, perhaps next month? BTW, I have a dog named Karma.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I taped the Runaway Bride and the Smith/Jones premiere. I plan on watching it this weekend.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I saw the Shakespeare ep last night and LOVED all the HP and BTTF stuff, along with the jokes about things Shakespeare wrote and about the man, perfect Dr Who!

What happened to the Queen stuff at the end, will that come up in S4?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Elite Fan

Perhaps that thing between The doctor and The queen will pop up next season, he did say he didn't know what she was going on about so therefore it has yet to happen. That's the fun thing about The Doctor and time travel in general (apart from causing a paradox that could destroy 3/4 of the universe...)
Old 07-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well he did have that run-in with the other Queen in his current form early in S2, I wonder if they are linked in any way, I know they where not the same Queen.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Master Fan

I think that it might have been meant as a bit of general foreshadowing about some of the stuff that goes on later in the season, and that they probably didn't have a specific story in mind when they included that scene. I'm sure if someone came up with a good idea that explained that scene, they'd do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Elite Fan

I wonder if soon they will have the current English Monarchy as werewolves in an upcoming episode? The Doctor implied that when Victoria was scratched that it might take say, 100 years for the werewolf genes to grow to maturity. ie: present day English Royal family.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Master Fan

I've started a new Doctor Who game thread for whoever would like to join in:
http://www.fanforum.com/f118/doctor-.../#post16680884
Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

I noticed that Queen Elizabeth went after the Doctor but didn't seem to recognize Martha...maybe we'll see how he ticked her off before she comes back?
Or maybe Queen Victoria warned Elizabeth about the Doctor and just mentioned his 'companion'. That's how Torchwood recorded Rose, nothing specific.
"ELTON!!! FETCH A SPADE!!!
-The Doctor, Love and Monsters
Old 07-09-2007, 04:52 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
I've been rewatching the last few eps of the season, and I noticed a continuity error I hadn't noticed before: in the finale, Captain Jack mentions his nickname used to be the "Face of Boe", seemingly oblivious to the fact that the Doctor and Martha had heard that name before. Yet, two episodes before in Utopia, when the Master is revealed, Martha practically shouts at the Doctor right in front of Jack, "Remember what the Face of Boe said?" and he didn't even flinch at the name.
I noticed that too.
Many people on my LJ flist and Torchwood community are speculating that Jack was just joking, and he thought of that story during the year that never happened, so he decided to have a little fun.
Quote:
Also, did everyone notice that "the sound of drums" is the actually the drum rhythm from the Doctor Who theme?
So, basically the message is, if you watch too much Doctor Who, you too could go mad just like the Master. And one sign of that madness is that you can't get the theme tune out of your head

I haven't noticed, but now I'll have to go listen to the theme tune a few times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
I saw the Shakespeare ep last night and LOVED all the HP and BTTF stuff, along with the jokes about things Shakespeare wrote and about the man, perfect Dr Who!
I really liked how they wrote Shakespeare. He was fun.
I never was a fan of too serious characterizations, it just doesn't fit with how I imagine him.
I also loved that he wasn't fooled by psychic paper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Crichton (View Post)
I wonder if soon they will have the current English Monarchy as werewolves in an upcoming episode?

I bet they'd be willing to do it.
Royal Family jokes never get old for me. Same as banana and sonic screwdriver jokes.

"Do we have any information on the Royal Family?"
"..."
"They are on the roof."

BTW have you guys seen David as a presenter at Live Earth this weekend?
"Back in 2005 when I was Christopher Ecclestone"
Here's the link.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

Heheh, reminds me of his vid diary where he went, "Today, I get to be" *flips camera* "Christopher Ecleston!"
"ELTON!!! FETCH A SPADE!!!
-The Doctor, Love and Monsters
Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I just started watching Doctor Who. I finished the first season last night and can't wait to get my hands on season 2. Wasn't sure I would like it, but I absolutely love it.
The jury's out, but my choice is you

Closed Thread   Post New Thread