Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 02:36 PM
Elite Fan

Dead Lawyers Appreciation #1

Sci Fi Exhumes 'Dead Lawyers'

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - What do you call 5000 dead lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
A good start.

What is the difference between a dead lawyer and a squished skunk in the road?

The vultures will eat the skunk.
Aware that there's always room for another lawyer joke, Sci Fi Channel is developing the drama pilot "Dead Lawyers," from Zanuck Co. and Sony Pictures TV. Sean Patrick Flanery and Oscar winner F. Murray Abraham have signed on to star in the project.

The drama, which sounds like a cross between "Dead Like Me" and "The Guardian," features Flanery as Jimmy Quinn, a ruthless, soulless attorney to the rich and famous. When he dies in a car crash, Quinn is sent back to Earth where he must work pro bono cases until he can undo all of the harm he has apparently done to society. He joins mentor Abraham at a law firm of dead attorneys, all of whom are similarly trying to atone for their corporate sins.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Emmy winner Paris Barclay ("NYPD Blue") will direct the pilot, written by Christopher Murphey.

Flannery had his big break as one of the stars of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." His feature credits include "Powder" and "Boondock Saints," while he has been seen on the small screen in "The Dead Zone." This past pilot season, he starred in "Then Came Jones" for ABC.

Abraham won his Oscar for 1984's "Amadeus." Since earning that honor, his track record has been decidedly mixed. The thespian has appeared in "Surviving the Game," "The Bonfire of the Vanities," "Star Trek: Insurrection" and "Thirteen Ghosts."

Production on "Dead Lawyers" is set to begin this month in Toronto.
I'm SO excited! I can't wait, sounds like a great concept and the sci fi factor is always a plus!

[img]smilies/blinkie.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 07:50 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Read the concept a while back and yeah it sounds very cool. I'm just so disillusioned by the channel itself after the Farscape thing .. and all the crapy B movies they've made this year. Hope they can pull it off.
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
<STRONG>Read the concept a while back and yeah it sounds very cool. I'm just so disillusioned by the channel itself after the Farscape thing .. and all the crapy B movies they've made this year. Hope they can pull it off.</STRONG>
I had about the same reaction ...

"Hmm, cool, sounds like an interesting premise, lawyers, supernatural ... hang on, Sci-Fi? If this series is by some miracle actually cool, they'll kill it within a season."
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Elite Fan

You can't go wrong with lawyers. I hope not!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:38 AM
jjt
Master Fan

Other than the fact that they're dead .. I can't tell from the intro blurb just how fantasy it'll be. I mean if you remove the fact that they're dead .. it could be any lawyer forced to work on probono cases.

Now if they also have paranormal cases? Maybe ..

Or hey what might be fun if is there is a time pressure cause they continue to be dead and decomposing so they are having to cover up odor and losing hair and such. Ok ok yeah it's morbid but what other fantasy element do they have to work with there?

Or are they coming back as different people all together?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
<STRONG>Other than the fact that they're dead .. I can't tell from the intro blurb just how fantasy it'll be. I mean if you remove the fact that they're dead .. it could be any lawyer forced to work on probono cases.

Now if they also have paranormal cases? Maybe ..</STRONG>
I was wondering that too ... I assume there's got to be some paranormal element to it, or how relevant will their being dead be? Course, Sci-Fi could just be looking for their own Law&Order under a thinly veiled fantasy disguise ...

Incidentally, this concept sort of reminds me a bit of the short-lived series GvsE (also killed by Sci-Fi), where a dead guy is recruited into "the Corps" - an organization of agents set up to fight Evil - or he'll be sent to Hell.

[ 12-07-2003: Message edited Raonaild ]
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:26 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Raonaild:
<STRONG>
Incidentally, this concept sort of reminds me a bit of the short-lived series GvsE (also killed by Sci-Fi), where a dead guy is recruited into "the Corps" - an organization of agents set up to fight Evil - or he'll be sent to Hell.
</STRONG>
I vaguely remember that show. Thinking on it .. have to say Scifi channel has killed a whole lot of series.
Reply   Post New Thread