Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Administrator

I have many fond childhood memories of rushing home from grammar school to watch Dark Shadows in the late 1960's and early 1970's, and my friends and I would then talk about the show the next day. My favorite characters were Barnabas and Quentin, and I thought that Katherine Leigh Scott, Kate Jackson, and Lara Parker, who played Maggie, Daphne, and Angelique, were all really beautiful. I watch the reruns of the show now on the Sci-Fi Channel, and what strikes me now is how incredibly bad the acting was, something I didn't realize when I was a kid, and how cheesy the sets were, but watching the shows brings me back to a time when life was a lot simpler, and when watching Dark Shadows was my favorite thing to do.

I also watched the revival series back in the early 1990's, and I thought it was really well done, but it got preempted a lot during the first Gulf War, and then it was cancelled.

It'll be interesting to see how this new series pans out, but I'd really hate to think that a fantastic show like Angel would be cancelled to make room for another vampire show, no matter how much I loved Dark Shadows back in the day. Still, though, I definitely intend to give this show a chance.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

I love Angelique. She is a great character. If I was an actress and offered a part in dark shadows, I'd want to play her. I also like Pansy Fay even though she wasn't around long.

I think it's interesting how John Wells is producing considering the shows he does are more realistic. But, if he was a fan of the old series I trust him not to butcher it.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm interested in seeing what he does with the new series.

If I could play a part in DS, I'd have to go with Victoria or Julia. I lean more towards Julia though, because I think playing Victoria would become boring (she was so clueless in the original series), unless they make this new version a little different.
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

also Victoria becomes less of a main character once Barnabas becomes a vampire & they go back to the present. Maybe in the new series they'll maker her, Barnabas, Julia & Angelique the 4 leads.

I was watching Down With Love last night and the girl who's playing Angelique has a small role in it. I was so excited I had to tell my mom & sis.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

I figure Victoria to definitely be a lead character in the new series. They have so many characters, though, and it kind of surprises me. They almost have too many for a weekly show. Some will probably end up underused.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Master Fan

I enjoyed the revival a lot. Then my mother got tapes of the original series out of the library, and I think that was even better - but then it was "Best of Dark Shadows" videotapes that we watched, so probably the whole of the original wasn't better than the first revival.

I'm looking forward to the new revival. Never enough vampires on TV!

[img]smilies/abduct.gif[/img] [img]smilies/read.gif[/img]
AlexEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Obsessed Fan

I wish I could see the 1991 revival series. I can't really purchase the VHS set now, though.

I hope the new version gets picked up, though I think it will be hard for me to adjust after watching the original series. Especially when it comes to Barnabas.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Extreme Fan

Yeah, we can only hope. Hey, look what I found while surfing the net:

Quote:
Darkshadoes News on New Project<STRONG>
Post production work on the Dark Shadows pilot is now well underway, with just three weeks left until the WB network's announcement on May 18. Speaking to fans at last week's Dan Curtis event, executive producer Mark Verheiden confirmed that editing work has been taking place throughout the shoot.

At some point in the next two weeks, WB executives will view an assembled version of the pilot, reaching a verdict by the weekend of May 15-16. Their chosen Fall line-up will then be unveiled to the press and advertisers at New York's Sheraton Hotel on Tuesday May 18, as previously reported.

Based on recent history, pundits seem agreed that the WB will pick up two drama pilots for the season. Competing alongside Dark Shadows are The Robinsons: Lost in Space directed by John Woo, Prodigy, The Mountain and Jack and Bobby.</STRONG>
Hmm . . .I just hope that they pick it up.

Sean loves Emma
Eman[n]: Faith - Cuz I got it!
LilDegrassiPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the news LilDegrassiPrince. I should be getting the first disc of the first series in the mail tomorrow. I'll watch it over the weekend.

jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

hmm i'm nervous. I hope DS is one of the shows added to the fall lineup.

A lot of John Wells shows have a large cast. Third Watch probably under uses the characters more than West Wing & ER do. Third Watch use to give a lot of air time to the firefighters and paramedics and now it's more of a cop show. The main firefighters aren't even on the show anymore.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Obsessed Fan

I am too. The chances are likely that it will get picked up, but my luck is so bad that I'm atill anxious to hear the official annoucement in May.

The original Dark Shadows had a large cast, but then again it was on five days a week. I think in the long run, having such a large cast in for the new version may get in the way of character development (or many of the characters will be underused).
Old 04-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

I think one thing that should be the same between the new version and the old version is whenever there's a different time period, whether it be going to the past or parallel time, the same actors are used. If the same actors are used then I feel the audience will be more connected to the new characters. If different actors are hired then it will feel like the audience has to get to know new people and then we won't care as much.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Loyal Fan

I had no idea they were making a new show. I'll probably tune it just to see if it's as good as the original.

dawsonandjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlight Serenade:
<STRONG>If different actors are hired then it will feel like the audience has to get to know new people and then we won't care as much.</STRONG>
That's true. But I think they should ease up on the time travel/Parallel time stuff in this new show, especially given the difference in format. IMO, most of it should take place in present day Collinsport.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Ewan McGregor

I agree. I think as long as they find some way to introduce Quentin I'm happy.