Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Absolute Fan

Children of Dune Discussion #2 - I Will Not Fear; Fear Is the Mind-Killer

Dune Links:

Official Children of Dune

Dune - Behind the Scenes

House Atredies

Dune - Adventure & Philosophy (fan site)

James McAvoy Online

Fan Fiction Links:

Fan Fiction.Net Dune

Dreamers of Dune - Fanfiction & Original Writing

Preorder the Children of Dune DVD, released on May 20th!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited Java Freak ]
Old 03-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Extreme Fan

Gotcha! You are now being tracked. Grin, considered tracking the other thread as well, but since it was already on page 9/10 I thought it isn't worth it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

So, how about a topic starter? Like "What's your favourite scene?", "What's your favourite Dune couple?" or "Which Dune books have your read?"?

I've now decided to rewatch the Dune miniseries (and the Dune movie as well); Can somebody give me a hint, I'm specifically looking to see if there are any Paul/Irulan traces in the first one as well.
LolaRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LolaRuns:
<STRONG>Can somebody give me a hint, I'm specifically looking to see if there are any Paul/Irulan traces in the first one as well.</STRONG>
The first miniseries? I haven't seen the David Lynch Dune... I'm not into 80's special effects unless I grew up with them (Star Wars/Legend/Princess Bride, etc). They just horrify me.

But from the first miniseries, I thought Paul and Irulan's first meeting was nice. It was a real meeting of minds because they related - they were both being conditioned to play political roles which they didn't want. I went into that series thinking Irulan turned out good so everything that she does in the movie, I interpretted in the way that she had Paul's interests in mind. She was spying so she could help him, etc.

I think she's a tragic character. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

And, hey, I'm miffed about something that I've found in the book: when Paul sees only one of his children (and is surprised to hear he has two), he sees a girl baby; not a boy. Why would they change that for the movie? I mean, I understand that in the movie, Paul has visions of Leto (while he has none like that in the book) but why couldn't Ghanima been in these visions if the screenwriter just had to have someone talking to him? Grr.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Extreme Fan

As I mentioned before I didn't like how in the miniseries they had Leto appear in his visions and tell Paul huge stuff. I think they might have done it just to strenghten Letos role and so they could put James into the first part as well (via Paul's visions), to spark people's interest.

Argh, I'm just rewatching the Dune miniseries and I finally remember why I hated it so much. Whaa, evil Luke Skywalker flashbacks, go away! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Seriously, thank God for CoD's make up and costume department. And thanks for recasting Jessica and Duncan. I can't get over how Paul's hotness goes up like 500% from Dune to CoD.

As I said a dozen times before, I don't think that the 80s movie is half bad. If you compare it to some other stuff from that time, the special effect are awesome. I seriously think that the special effect were not cheesy for the most part (exception, the Emporer's pyramid thing). Most likely thanks to the fact that there are barely any creatures, just weapons and ships, that kind of thing. In fact, I think I like the worms from the 80s even better than the miniseries' ones. Just like their skin better and how they mount them.

Again, the Dune movie has it's weaknesses, but for example, in my eyes, what was much superior to the miniseries were the Bene Gesserit for example (who just look more scarier and more mysterios), the test with the Gom Shabbar, the stillsuits (I thought the first miniseries stillsuits just looked embarassing) and the eyes (I think the first miniseries eyes made the Fremen look like zombies). I also think that the 80s movie improves vastly once they get them into the desert. *loved almost everything from then on*

Changing topic: I don't think that I will buy the CoD DVD until they have the special eddition out. For me, the sole reason to buy DVDs is to get the deleted scenes.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Thanks for starting the new thread Java Freak...all the banners look great!

About the dream...ok, I might not be making sense here, but I think Paul only felt a baby girl was because in a way, Leto wasn't supposed to be there...I had this feeling that Leto II came to be because their first baby, Leto, was killed. So maybe that's why Paul didn't see him. Or maybe not...wild speculation there.

I loved Paul and Irulan's first meeting...cracked me up when Paul says, "The princess was under my protection" and Irulan goes, "Oh, please." [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited blueangel9903 ]
Old 03-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Extreme Fan

*Squee*, blue, a fellow Journeyer [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Useless Dune Trivia: The fear litany in different languages;

Quote:
I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Quote:
Je ne connaîtrai pas la pas la peur, car la peur tue l'esprit. La peur est la petite mort qui conduit a l'oblitération totale. J'affronterai ma peur. Je lui permettrai de passer sur moi, au travers de moi. Et lorsqu'elle sera passée, je tournerai mon oeil intérieur sur son chemin. Et la ou elle sera passée, il n'y aura plus rien. Rien que moi."
Quote:
Ich darf keine Angst haben. Die Angst tötet das Bewußtsein. Sie ist der kleine Tod, der die Vernichtung bringt. Ich werde der Angst ins Angesicht sehen. Sie wird mich durchdringen und von mir gehen. Und wenn sie gegangen ist, werde ich ihren Weg mit dem inneren Auge verfolgen. Dort wo die Angst gegangen ist, wird nichts zurück bleiben. Außer mir.
I'm so tempted to make a couple of video clips from the 80s Dune, just so you guys can get an impression [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anybody found or written any good CoD fanfiction yet?

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited LolaRuns ]
Old 03-31-2003, 10:54 PM
Absolute Fan

Gosh! I'm gone one day and there is a whole new thread! Well yippy! I love the banners Java!

I am so excited about it coming out in May. Wish it would be sooner. Are there any extras on it?
A_Stormy_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Extreme Fan

Wow y'all. Thread 2 already? Yay. Beautiful banner's as well. (and yay on the links!)

I like the cover of that dvd, though. Hard not to like when Leto II is front and center. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But I wish they had the line on bottom as "The Saga of Dune is far from over."

I'm so used to that one, from the mini.

Also, I'm dilemma'ed. I want this dvd as soon as it come out, but I have feeling they're going to make a special edition like they did the first. Ah well. I guess I'll just have to buy them both!
orion_d13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:45 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

[img]smilies/pinkie.gif[/img] I'm so excited because my SO bought me Chapterhouse: Dune for my birthday. I had been looking for it for years and could never find it. Now that I have all of Frank Herbert's originals, I can start reading the series. The mini-series made me want to go back and re-read the first few and then finally finish off the series.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:25 AM
Loyal Fan

New thread! [img]smilies/blinkie.gif[/img]

Yayy [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img] Wonderful wonderful banners! [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img] Thanks for sharing them with us [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hii everyone [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Yes, am also Ginger Milk [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As for Paul's vision, yeah, I'm still wondering why he can only see Ghanima (in the book--that is), I suppose it's because Ghanima is the one who'll carry on the Atreides bloodline, while Leto II, being the 'special' (something with his gene) one can escape Paul's prescience since he's the one who is to undergo the Golden Path and he's a :cough: male [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I suppose. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

As for the movies, I prefer the eyes in Lynch's movies, it's made in 1984, no? (Or a year or two earlier perhaps) I kinda thought the eyes in the Dune miniseries (the first one) was kinda ridiculous, they're glowing for the love of anything holy...Fremen people are supposed to be undetectable at nighttime [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And the eyes gave them away [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I secretly wished those who were responsible with Lynch's movie were going to give tips to the ones responsible for the first Dune miniseries, but one can only dream [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I also prefer the stillsuit of the movies, it's nicer than the miniseries, although I'd change the color to match the 'sand.' [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

But beggars can't be choosers [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think Lynch's people did a great job at casting [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] although I like Barbara's Chani too and I prefer Kyle's Paul (rather than Alec) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Favorite Dune couple for me will be: Paul and Chani (my heart fell when Chani died in the book especially), Alia and Duncan (in the book)...and shoot me for this..Leto II and Ghanima (thanks to the mini [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] --yes, am amoral at best [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ) lastly, but not least it'll be Leto II and Hwi. Gosh, they're just adorable..in a lot of way.. [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] read the God Emperor, people! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] My bro is sending me a pirated version of COD (thankfully with great quality) [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Yea, he's a good bro, ain't he? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Wicked_Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Extreme Fan

I'm not picky on couples. I think I can get into *all* the couples, they are all awesome [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I don't think that I can think of a couple I don't like.

Oh wait, miniseries version of Jessica/Leto I. Sheesh, talk about having no chemistry. And a particularly bad case of stunt casting.

BTW even if I might do a lot of nostalgic musings on the movie Dune, doesn't mean that I don't love the miniseries. Hell even if it was only for CoD being the first ones to cast Duncan close to the way I pictured him. Sorry but the Dune movie and the Dune miniseries version sucked. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

CoD Duncan on the other hand... [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]

So, now that they have done CoD, what would you want them to next? God Emporer because it's the next in the series? Or Chapterhouse because it would be easier to do than human worm sfx Leto in God Emporer? Or one of the prequels.

As much as I like the idea of them doing more for Dune, I'm also kinda depressed. I hate the idea that most of the characters we've grown to love wont be in the sequels. And that all the actors who portray them (other than Duncan maybe) wont either [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Sigh, I wish there was a way they could do an in between series, like set right after CoD about how Leto's, Ghanima's or Irulan's lives continue, even if it's isn't covered in any book. Or about the whole Jihad period of the Fremen against the Emporer. Or like, the first year of Paul's reign. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Those time periods would interest me a lot. Sadly, there is most likely no chance for it.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:29 AM
Addicted Fan

Found some cool COD art here http://www.thevisiongirl.org/sasindex.html
Old 04-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz:
<STRONG> [img]smilies/pinkie.gif[/img] I'm so excited because my SO bought me Chapterhouse: Dune for my birthday. I had been looking for it for years and could never find it. Now that I have all of Frank Herbert's originals, I can start reading the series. The mini-series made me want to go back and re-read the first few and then finally finish off the series.</STRONG>
What version did you want? A hard-cover or paperback?

i found all of my Dunes by ordering them thru Amazon.
yossarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Wicked_Design:
<STRONG>and he's a :cough: male [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I suppose. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
</STRONG>

yeah, that's what peeved me a bit...

Quote:
<STRONG>I kinda thought the eyes in the Dune miniseries (the first one) was kinda ridiculous, they're glowing for the love of anything holy...</STRONG>
They were horrible, weren't they?? I despised them. They really, truly, looked like zombies.

Quote:
Originally posted by LolaRuns:
<STRONG>
CoD Duncan on the other hand... [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]
</STRONG>

Mmm. Edward Atterton is not too hard on the eyes, is he? [img]smilies/eyebrows.gif[/img]

Quote:
<STRONG>As much as I like the idea of them doing more for Dune, I'm also kinda depressed. I hate the idea that most of the characters we've grown to love wont be in the sequels.</STRONG>
My sentiments exactly. While I want more Dune, I'm not sure what exactly I want... Definitely not a huge CGI Worm!Leto but prequels are very risky as well. *shrug*

As for favorite couples, from the miniseries I would definitely say Leto/Ghanima. But now that I'm reading the book, the dynamic is completely different. At least, from as far as I'm reading. When the miniseries relationship comes across as caring and gentle, the book translates more as they are the same person, essentially. So they'll say something like, "I love you more than myself" but it's kind of like, eh. LOL. I don't know what I was expecting; it's just different. Still good, but different.

I'm still in love with Alia, though. Poor, misunderstood Alia. Left all alone to rule an empire, her freaking mother abandons her. Ooo, that Jessica. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] In the movie, Alia comes across as just bitchy and arrogant but I think in the book she's depicted stronger - someone that their enemies fear. That's power, baby. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Java Freak:
<STRONG>
I'm still in love with Alia, though. Poor, misunderstood Alia. Left all alone to rule an empire, her freaking mother abandons her. Ooo, that Jessica. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] In the movie, Alia comes across as just bitchy and arrogant but I think in the book she's depicted stronger - someone that their enemies fear. That's power, baby. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I completely agree! I see you changed your Alia avie to a Sark one. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]