Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2018, 04:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Thread #4: So we will walk through the fire, and let it burn.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Thread #4

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an American television series that aired from March 10, 1997 until May 20, 2003. The series was created in 1997 by writer-director Joss Whedon under his production tag, Mutant Enemy Productions with later co-executive producers being Jane Espenson, David Fury, David Greenwalt, Doug Petrie, Marti Noxon and David Solomon. The series narrative follows Buffy Summers (played by Sarah Michelle Gellar), the latest in a line of young women known as "Vampire Slayers" or simply "Slayers." In the story, Slayers are "called" (chosen by fate) to battle against vampires, demons, and other forces of darkness. Like previous Slayers, Buffy is aided by a Watcher, who guides, teaches, and trains her. Unlike her predecessors, Buffy surrounds herself with a circle of loyal friends who become known as the "Scooby Gang".

The series usually reached between four and six million viewers on original airings. Although such ratings are lower than successful shows on the "big four" networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox), they were a success for the relatively new and smaller WB Television Network. Reviews for the show were positive, and has been included in many "best of" lists, including being ranked #41 on the list of TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time, #2 on Empire's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time, voted #3 in TV Guide's Top 25 Cult TV Shows of All Time and listed in Time magazine's "100 Best TV Shows of All-TIME." It was nominated for Emmy and Golden Globe awards, winning a total of 3 Emmys. However, snubs in lead Emmy categories resulted in outrage among TV critics and the decision by the academy to hold a tribute event in honor of the series after it had gone off the air in 2003.

The WB network ceased operation on September 17, 2006 after airing a homage to its "most memorable series", including the pilot episodes of Buffy and its spin-off Angel. Buffy's success has led to hundreds of tie-in products, including novels, comics, and video games. The series has received attention in fandom (including fan films), parody, and academia, and has influenced the direction of other television series.

Previous threads: 1 2,3
Old 06-04-2018, 04:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Bringing this over from the old thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
Oh yeah, Tara did say her energy was off. I still think it's crazy Willow didn't notice though. Ha, when I was watching S3 I watched alot of episodes and felt Buffy'd out too but now I'm back to being alright. I usually watch two a day lately lol.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT Claire.

I don't remember the scene, so I'll have to see what was going on.

I think I watched 7 or 8 episodes that day.

Kim
Old 06-04-2018, 11:33 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Primevil is such a great finale. I love when they all did that spell and Buffy whooped Adam's ass. He couldn't touch her. That's one of my favorite scenes of the show.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like that finale, too. I hated Adam, so I loved seeing him get his butt kicked. Buffy was just incredibly powerful.

I think the last one I watched was Beer Bad. I had to fast-forward some of the Parker stuff of season 4. I hated that Buffy walked right into his trap. I hated that she doubted herself because of him.

Kim
Old 06-05-2018, 12:29 AM
Cardcaptor Queen

I hated that womanizing bastard, glad after Riley socked him we never saw him again.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Me, too.

I also loved Willow telling him off, and Beer Bad Buffy bashing him in the head.

Kim
Old 06-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Same. I loved how Willow told him off and of course, Buffy hitting his dumb ass upside the head twice. Watched Restless today, episode is better than I remember. I love all the meanings to the dreams and the warnings of what's to come. I forgot Snyder was in the episode, but I remembered Oz was (last time we see him *cries* I'm neutral on Willow/Tara but I will always think her pairing with Oz was better and didn't compare) I heard Joss wanted more cameos with other characters (I felt Faith was missing in that part of Buffy's dream where they talked about making the bed and the clock said 7:30, liked that little callback to their shared dream in GD pt. 2) in the episode, I wish most of them would of happened. Rewatching S4, I still think it's a good season. Especially with great episodes like Hush, the two part finale, and Restless. I have mixed feelings about S5. It's a great season but I just hate things like Joyce dying (and she's barely around in S4. Ugh, don't go Joyce but "The Body" was a sad but great episode. It's one I usually don't watch much obviously) Spike's Buffy obsession starting (didn't like Spuffy and still don't. Just too abusive and toxic to me, especially after the attempted rape) Dawn's arrival, then Buffy dying too. I did remember Glory being a great villian though, she was the toughest for Buffy to take down. I'm so glad I have these DVD's, this show is just as amazing as I remember. I still miss it but glad it ended at it's peak unlike most shows.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay, I have a question-what did 7 3 0 mean? I didn't get it in Graduation Day, and I still don't get it.

I'm terrified of losing my mother-when it will happen, so The Body just decimated me. I haven't watched it in a long time.

The attempted rape happened long after Spike and Buffy were hinted at. Don't get me wrong-Seeing Red is one of my least favorite episodes of the series. But, still a Spuffy fan. I was since season 2, and School Hard. At any rate, Seeing Red did get Spike to go get his soul back, out of his love for Buffy, and out of knowing what he did was wrong.

I loved Glory. She was my absolute favorite villain. I also loved her quirkiness, and just the way she thought.

I just watched The Initiative. I forgot how much I absolutely loved the banter between Willow and Spike. I also have to admit, Buffy and Riley were very cute at the end of it. I'm on Pangs right now.

Kim
Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Faith said something like "Little Miss Muppet counting down from 730," which meant Buffy was going to die in 730 days, then they showed the clock in her room said that in "Restless," after she brought up Faith. I thought it was a nice touch.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Faith called Dawn (who came in Season 5) Little Miss Muffet in dream scene of Buffy. The 730 days reference that´s right.
Joss seemes to love such predictions.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 06-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I figured out the part about Dawn, but not the other.

Did that come out in news or interviews, about what the 730 meant? Because, who would actually realize by that, that it meant days, and who would count out that many days?

Unless me and my friends were completely oblivious, and that there were no hints about what it meant.

Anyway, thanks you guys, for answering me.

I'm hoping to watch more of season 4 when I get home today, but, we'll see.

Kim
Old 06-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I figured out the part about Dawn, but not the other.

Did that come out in news or interviews, about what the 730 meant? Because, who would actually realize by that, that it meant days, and who would count out that many days?

Unless me and my friends were completely oblivious, and that there were no hints about what it meant.

Anyway, thanks you guys, for answering me.

I'm hoping to watch more of season 4 when I get home today, but, we'll see.

Kim
Old 06-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I think I heard it in an interview with JW. I didn't realize any of that or the hidden meanings about Buffy's upcoming death or Dawn coming when it first aired. If I watched it now I would of knew something was up. I just know I was SHOCKED when Buffy died. Then it didn't help that the WB was advertising "The Gift" as a series finale so I remembered thinking the show was over. Then over the Summer they started advertising another season, I remembered "Last season Buffy died, or did she?" I remembered thinking, "How are they going to have another season without Buffy?" lol.

In S5 so far, I still like Riley/Buffy, will enjoy until it's ruined. I hated when Riley told Xander that Buffy didn't love him. Rewatching S4 and just seeing "Out of my Mind," I do believe Buffy loved him. While in a relationship with him, she seemed happy and on cloud 9. In the episode I just mentioned when she was trying to get Riley to go to the hospital so he wouldn't die, she was crying and saying things like he knows her better than anyone. I personally felt you could see her love for Riley in that moment. So I don't care if I'm in the minority, Buffy did love Riley IMO. She tried to stop him from leaving town but was too late, then when he returned in S6 she wasn't over him. I always thought it was silly he came back married, he wasn't even gone a year like dang really? lol.

In 2001 I remembered all three shows I was watching on the WB ended in ways I hated. At the time I watched Buffy, Charmed, and Dawson's Creek. By the end of those finales, Buffy died, Prue died, and Pacey and Joey were broken up. Those three endings made me sad at the time.

Last edited by Butterfly85; 06-07-2018 at 06:07 PM
Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah Joss wanted to end Buffy orginally after The Gift.
But I`m glad it got two more seasons.
Its okay you liked Buffy with Riley. Everyone has her/his favourite couple on the show.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Closed Thread   Post New Thread