Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003, 02:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by enigma777:
<STRONG>It's part of the slayer mythos and the Scooby gang should have figured it out. Giles certainly should have known. Buffy died, Kendra was called. Kendra died, Faith was called. Buffy died again, nobody was called. Otherwise, they could have killed Buffy and revived her over and over and had an army of slayers a long time ago.

</STRONG>
You are right they should have figured it out but Giles wouldn't have known. He said so when Kendra turned up, nothing like it had happened before. I wish this had been explored on the show, yet another loose end left dangling.

I ranted so much during the last two Buffy seasons that anyone who didn't know me would have thought it was my most hated show but it was better than some of the shows that are still on air.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Cranky-Pants:
<STRONG>You are right they should have figured it out but Giles wouldn't have known. He said so when Kendra turned up, nothing like it had happened before. I wish this had been explored on the show, yet another loose end left dangling.</STRONG>
I disagree: Giles of all of them should have figured it out. It's his specialty and training, after all! One slayer dies, another is Called: Buffy died, Kendra is Called. Kendra died, Faith is Called. Buffy died again, and no Slayer was Called. Clearly, Buffy's been "retired", and the (current) Slayer is the last one Called: Faith. And when the wannabes were told about Faith, wasn't this information included? I thought it was.

I heard back from Space: They said that they were only for Canadian distribution, sorry.

Well, it's an idea. Maybe they could be persuaded? Shall we try?
Old 08-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie:
<STRONG>

I disagree: Giles of all of them should have figured it out. It's his specialty and training, after all! One slayer dies, another is Called: Buffy died, Kendra is Called. Kendra died, Faith is Called. Buffy died again, and no Slayer was Called. Clearly, Buffy's been "retired", and the (current) Slayer is the last one Called: Faith. And when the wannabes were told about Faith, wasn't this information included? I thought it was.

</STRONG>
I agree on that point, perhaps I didn't make myself clear before. I was talking about Giles not realising that when Buffy died again another slayer wouldn't be called. There hasn't been precedence and she is still imbued with slayer power. The only reason fans know that no slayer would be called is because of the Joss interview, there was no other indication of this.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Raonaild:
<STRONG>I mean, I agree in principle with your point, but I don't think picking on LotR is particularly fair when compared to the likes of true money grubbing scum like Lucas, who remixes some dialog and paints in a few new backgrounds and calls it a "special edition".</STRONG>
Lucas has yet to put these films out on DVD so we will have to see what 'extras' he puts on the discs to judge if they are worth it or not. Lucas has always said that the new editions of the Original Trilogy were just a few brush ups here and there and about three minutes of cut footage. But most hard-core fans prefer the untouched versions. There is even an online petition to release those and not the new versions on DVD.See Star Wars board. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LittleMilkJug:
<STRONG>Lucas has yet to put these films out on DVD</STRONG>
No *****. So, that makes Lucas less money grubbing scum than the others because he played the special edition game on video first? He's going to do it all over again when he finally does release the originals on DVD - just wait, we'll have special editions and extra special editions and boxed sets coming out our eyeballs once the third prequel is made and he finally deigns to release the first three movies to the world.
Quote:
<STRONG>so we will have to see what 'extras' he puts on the discs to judge if they are worth it or not. Lucas has always said that the new editions of the Original Trilogy were just a few brush ups here and there and about three minutes of cut footage.</STRONG>
Lucas always implied that the Special Editions were a big improvement on the original, and he put those out not long after a big re-release of the original cuts of the movies. But really, most changes added nothing to the original story, in some cases were completely useless (eg. the new dance scene in Jabba's palace), and cleaning up and redoing the effects as he did just made the unfixed effects that he left in stand out more. And I believe Lucas has said repeatedly that he'll never release the original cut of the movies again, and in fact might include more new touchups whenever he finally does release them on DVD.

[ 08-10-2003: Message edited Raonaild ]
Old 08-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
<STRONG>
Lucas always implied that the Special Editions were a big improvement on the original, and he put those out not long after a big re-release of the original cuts of the movies. But really, most changes added nothing to the original story, in some cases were completely useless (eg. the new dance scene in Jabba's palace), and cleaning up and redoing the effects as he did just made the unfixed effects that he left in stand out more. </STRONG>
I agree, I'm an untouched version fan. And I agree that Lucas is money grabbing but when it comes to film spin-offs ie toys, but not the films themselves. Yes there have been three versions of the films released on VHS, original, dolby stereo remastered ( Or something like that, I'm not big on techno speak :lol [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] and the new versions. But a lot of years had passed from the release of the originals to the dolby remastered and most peoples Videos , at least the ones who watched the films over and over like me, were near to breaking.
Having said that though, I do think that what you said about how many editions of the DVDs might be right. I am very nervous about the release of the Indiana Jones DVDs. They wont be available individually but only in a boxed set. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] That makes me angry as most people cant really afford boxed sets but they know there are a lot of fans out there (again like me). I would cheerfully not spend a cent on 'The Temple of Doom'.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Cranky-Pants:
<STRONG>You are right they should have figured it out but Giles wouldn't have known. He said so when Kendra turned up, nothing like it had happened before. I wish this had been explored on the show, yet another loose end left dangling.</STRONG>
My point was that, in S7, Giles would have known that the line went through Faith. Granted, nothing like it ever happened before Kendra being called when Buffy died the first time so Giles didn't know and shouldn't have known back then. But with Faith being called when Kendra got killed, and then nobody being called after Buffy died, Giles should have known this time around.

Although I do find it odd that of all the years/generations of slayers, not one of them had a NDE where their heart stopped beating but they were revived.

Quote:
<STRONG>I ranted so much during the last two Buffy seasons that anyone who didn't know me would have thought it was my most hated show but it was better than some of the shows that are still on air.</STRONG>
LOL. My fiancee left the Buffy forum here because of all the online hatred of S6 and all of the flaming. I still haven't watched S6 and I've only seen some scenes of various episodes in S7.

I was talking about Giles not realising that when Buffy died again another slayer wouldn't be called. There hasn't been precedence and she is still imbued with slayer power. The only reason fans know that no slayer would be called is because of the Joss interview, there was no other indication of this.

Hmmm... Okay, I get what you're talking about now, but still, hmmm... Giles was usually a pretty smart guy. About how much time passed between Buffy "dying" and Kendra showing up in Sunnydale? (Aside: Wouldn't Kendra's watcher have contacted the Council and let them know that they had a new slayer? Sorry, it's been a long time since watching those episodes and I've only seen them once or twice.) Point is that it had been almost two years since Buffy died in "The Gift" and over a year since she had been brought back to life by Willow. Yet there was no new slayer. I think that should have been enough for Giles to figure it out, especially since Faith showed up when Kendra got killed. I think they also said or insinuated that a new slayer would be called *only* if Buffy got killed. Shouldn't they have known that it at least would have happened *ALSO* if Faith was killed?

I can't wait for the Indiana Jones boxed set. I didn't mind "Temple of Doom". Besides, for me, it's like the Star Trek movies. Yeah, #1, #3, and #5 sucked, but I don't like holes in my collections. Now, I can live without Episodes I and II of Star Wars, because Episodes IV, V, and VI are a set.

[ 08-11-2003: Message edited enigma777 ]
Old 08-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by enigma777:
<STRONG>

My fiancee left the Buffy forum here because of all the online hatred of S6 and all of the flaming. I still haven't watched S6 and I've only seen some scenes of various episodes in S7.

</STRONG>
I never ranted on the board because it's a board for (mainly) appreciation and I know for a fact that some of the vitriolic stuff I was spewing would have had my inbox filled with hate.

I was very bitter last night as Firefly finished. I loved that show and now all I have for my TV viewing pleasure is Farscape on Sundays, thank goodness for Farscape.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Master Fan

I miss "Seven Days" so much!!!!!!!! Just had to say that!!!!!! Frank & Olga forever. [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Master Fan

Well, gee, we just don't have enough bitterness around here these days [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Me, right now I'm bitter that I just don't care anymore. I hardly turn on my TV these days, and I just can't foresee the situation changing any time soon. I've been hearing third hand though that an awful lot of the crappy shows the networks served up this year are crashing and burning.

Are there any shows actually worth watching out there, other than Angel and Stargate SG-1 (the only two shows I'm actually keeping up with these days)? Any interesting Sci-Fi/Fantasy-ish movies coming up (other than, say, LotR)?

[ 11-24-2003: Message edited Raonaild ]
Old 11-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Addicted Fan

Well, I've been enjoying Smallville.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie:
<STRONG>Well, I've been enjoying Smallville.</STRONG>
I've heard good things about Smallville ... and I have watched bits of eps ... I just have this little problem that I never really cared for the whole Superman story. Superman, the prequel? I like that concept even less.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Master Fan

I've lost interest as well. My decision to not watch anything on Skiffy is not so much out of bitterness as it is out of apathy. I'm not interested in anything they have to offer.

As for SG-1, I've seen some episodes, but nothing has made me want to watch, let alone go back and see all of the episodes I've missed.

Re: Smallville...

It doesn't perfectly track with the Superman story. It is Chloe who is the reporter, and Lana Lang (instead of Lois Lane) is his love interest. There are other differences, too, so it's not really a prequel. It can be fun to watch, but IMHO, it really is fluff. But it's better than S2 and especially S3 Roswell.

[ 12-12-2003: Message edited enigma777 ]
Old 12-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Obsessed Fan

All I can say is that I do everything in my power to not shed tears everytime I think about the potential of Firefly that FOX totally screwed over.

And Dark Angel.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>Are there any shows actually worth watching out there, other than Angel and Stargate SG-1 ?</STRONG>
You should check out Jake 2.0, it has David Greenwalt going for it w/ great storytelling and non-predictable stories (mostly) like David's last project w/ Angel.

.... and I can't believe people are still griping over Tess in Roswell S1 [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Closed Thread   Post New Thread