Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy Doo:
<STRONG>I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it. As soon as I heard the words "Ron Moore" I knew bad things were inevitable (see Roswell or better yet, don't).</STRONG>
WORD, Skippy Doo, WORD.

Hey Ron, is that a crack pipe, er, CHAD in your pocket, or are you happy to see us?

Quote:
<STRONG>Give me a break. That's real enlightening. They cancelled Farscape for this kind of dren. They are frelling stupid. My last postcard to Sci-Lie said "Your Stupid, and that Sucks". I wish I had a million of those.</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] A little bitter, are we? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Just kidding. I feel your pain and anguish.

I guess some Farscape fans are actually watching the new BG and say that it's not bad. Humph.

Quote:
Originally posted by habibi:
I guess I just like for there to be some “good” or “heroic” people in my stories. I’m really not into the “everybody’s got some flaws” type thing).
Def. -- Flawed heroes who are still extremely appealing and heroic: See "Farscape"

Thanks habibi for the details.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweet_Pea21:
you know, it really isn't that bad......certainly not all good (hello melodrama and boring-ness), but between watching this or s3 of roswell I'd certainly take this thing anyday.
trinity
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] That's not saying much, but thanks for your input Trinity. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks all, for your reviews and commentary. It's about what I expected (and hoped--sorry, my anti-Skiffy feelings made me want this miniseries to suck) from the rumors, reviews, and previews, not to mention Ron Moore's history and The Sci-Fi Channel's track record when it comes to producing quality television.

Magic: Sometimes, (hell, most of the time,) there is no accounting for taste. Sometimes TV Guide comes out with reviews that are really "off." It was probably some flunkie at TV Guide who was given the review assignment. I doubt it was Matt Rousch, their resident expert when it comes to great science fiction and usually, a damn good critic with whom I usually agree.

UnsilentMajorty: Hey!!! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight. Good to hear from you again.

As far as the Nielsen ratings, we all know what they are worth. Until the system gets a hell of a lot more accurate (larger sampling), the networks and advertisers are going to continue believing that a 3.9 rating really does mean that 3.9 million people watched.

And this just goes to show what advertising and marketing can do. We can only imagine what Farscape's ratings would have been if Skiffy would have put forth the same effort in advertising and marketing for it.

[ 12-11-2003: Message edited enigma777 ]
Master Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it. As soon as I heard the words "Ron Moore" I knew bad things were inevitable (see Roswell or better yet, don't).</STRONG>
WORD, Skippy Doo, WORD.

Hey Ron, is that a crack pipe, er, CHAD in your pocket, or are you happy to see us?

Quote:
<STRONG>Give me a break. That's real enlightening. They cancelled Farscape for this kind of dren. They are frelling stupid. My last postcard to Sci-Lie said "Your Stupid, and that Sucks". I wish I had a million of those.</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] A little bitter, are we? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Just kidding. I feel your pain and anguish.

I guess some Farscape fans are actually watching the new BG and say that it's not bad. Humph.

Quote:
I guess I just like for there to be some “good” or “heroic” people in my stories. I’m really not into the “everybody’s got some flaws” type thing).
Def. -- Flawed heroes who are still extremely appealing and heroic: See "Farscape"

Quote:
you know, it really isn't that bad......certainly not all good (hello melodrama and boring-ness), but between watching this or s3 of roswell I'd certainly take this thing anyday.
trinity
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] That's not saying much, but thanks for your input Trinity. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks all, for your reviews and commentary. It's about what I expected (and hoped--sorry, my anti-Skiffy feelings made me want this miniseries to suck) from the rumors, reviews, and previews, not to mention Ron Moore's history and The Sci-Fi Channel's track record when it comes to producing quality television.

Magic: Sometimes, (hell, most of the time,) there is no accounting for taste. Sometimes TV Guide comes out with reviews that are really "off." It was probably some flunkie at TV Guide who was given the review assignment. I doubt it was Matt Rousch, their resident expert when it comes to great science fiction and usually, a damn good critic with whom I usually agree.

UnsilentMajorty: Hey!!! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight. Good to hear from you again.

As far as the Nielsen ratings, we all know what they are worth. Until the system gets a hell of a lot more accurate (larger sampling), the networks and advertisers are going to continue believing that a 3.9 rating really does mean that 3.9 million people watched.

And this just goes to show what advertising and marketing can do. We can only imagine what Farscape's ratings would have been if Skiffy would have put forth the same effort in advertising and marketing for it.

Master Fan

Quote:
WORD, Skippy Doo, WORD.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
trinity

Old 12-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by UnsilentMajorty:
<STRONG>They also changed the core storyline to the point it literally is not BSG anymore. They Cylons are now machines that man created and that rebelled against him.</STRONG>
Anyone else think "Terminator" when they heard this?

Quote:
<STRONG>But once again, too much (or not enough) introspection and glitzy special effects ruined it.</STRONG>
I have to admit I thought the special effects were fair at best. The opening sequence really bothered me because I could see a greenish shadow over part of the screen.

Quote:
<STRONG>Oh, and the reason it was the highest rated show is because NOTHING IS ON RIGHT NOW. All the WB and FOX shows are in reruns until the new year. Gees. That's a hard one to figure out [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]</STRONG>
That and they went all out on advertising. There were BG ads all over the place - TV, radio, internet, etc. I don't recall Farscape ever getting that type of publicity push.

Quote:
Originally posted by enigma777:
<STRONG>Def. -- Flawed heroes who are still extremely appealing and heroic: See "Farscape"
</STRONG>
Maybe I should restate my issue – I don’t like heroes that are so flawed that even they can’t recover from them. If you take the hero and make them do horrible things it’s hard for them to ever be redeemed in my eyes. IMO the Farscape characters may have had some small flaws but it was never anything that left them irredeemable.
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>They also changed the core storyline to the point it literally is not BSG anymore. They Cylons are now machines that man created and that rebelled against him.</STRONG>

Quote:
<STRONG>But once again, too much (or not enough) introspection and glitzy special effects ruined it.</STRONG>
I have to admit I thought the special effects were fair at best. The opening sequence really bothered me because I could see a greenish shadow over part of the screen.

Quote:
<STRONG>Oh, and the reason it was the highest rated show is because NOTHING IS ON RIGHT NOW. All the WB and FOX shows are in reruns until the new year. Gees. That's a hard one to figure out [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]</STRONG>
That and they went all out on advertising. There were BG ads all over the place - TV, radio, internet, etc. I don't recall Farscape ever getting that type of publicity push.

Quote:
<STRONG>Def. -- Flawed heroes who are still extremely appealing and heroic: See "Farscape"
</STRONG>
Maybe I should restate my issue – I don’t like heroes that are so flawed that even they can’t recover from them. If you take the hero and make them do horrible things it’s hard for them to ever be redeemed in my eyes. IMO the Farscape characters may have had some small flaws but it was never anything that left them irredeemable.
Part-Time Fan

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
</STRONG>
Part-Time Fan

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
</STRONG>
Old 12-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Master Fan

habibi: I understood what you meant regarding heroes and heroines who are flawed, but are still redeemable, heroic, and appealing. I was just building on what you first said, and referred to the fact that Farscape is filled with that kind of heroes and heroines.

To contrast, the "heroes" and "heroines" in Roswell were anything but, and were so flawed that they could not recover. Hence the expression, "Max is an irredeemable ass," or MIAA for short. I've gone on at length in private messages (which were all lost several F4F crashes ago--LTLB) regarding the putrid stench of Roswell characters (Max, Liz, etc.) when they are compared to heroes and heroines in Farscape, Babylon 5, BtVS, and others.
Master Fan

habibi: I understood what you meant regarding heroes and heroines who are flawed, but are still redeemable, heroic, and appealing. I was just building on what you first said, and referred to the fact that Farscape is filled with that kind of heroes and heroines.

To contrast, the "heroes" and "heroines" in Roswell were anything but, and were so flawed that they could not recover. Hence the expression, "Max is an irredeemable ass," or MIAA for short. I've gone on at length in private messages (which were all lost several F4F crashes ago--LTLB) regarding the putrid stench of Roswell characters (Max, Liz, etc.) when they are compared to heroes and heroines in Farscape, Babylon 5, BtVS, and others.
Master Fan

Master Fan

Old 12-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Passionate Fan

Well, that was an interesting review. I did enjoy the author noting all the "cussing" in the remake, given that fact that whoever wrote this obviously feels profanity is their true medium. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] The author has that in common with the remake, if nothing else. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Having never seen the original BG I can't speak to the differences, but I did very much enjoy the miniseries. It was a very dark storyline, and I've heard the original was more light-hearted. (The miniseries definitely isn't anything even remotely close to light-hearted.) Now I'm curious to see the original. SciFi ran a bunch of "classic" episodes in early December, but I missed them. They're running more on January 16th. They seem to be running them out of order, which is weird.

I also noticed that there seemed to be a second season of BG. I had heard it only ran for one season. Lorne Greene seemed to be the only returning actor. Does anyone know if this is correct, or was the web site I was looking at in error?

[ 12-15-2003: Message edited Kathy W ]
Passionate Fan

Well, that was an interesting review. I did enjoy the author noting all the "cussing" in the remake, given that fact that whoever wrote this obviously feels profanity is their true medium. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] The author has that in common with the remake, if nothing else. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Having never seen the original BG I can't speak to the differences, but I did very much enjoy the miniseries. It was a very dark storyline, and I've heard the original was more light-hearted. (The miniseries definitely isn't anything even remotely close to light-hearted.) Now I'm curious to see the original. SciFi ran a bunch of "classic" episodes in early December, but I missed them. They're running more on January 16th. They seem to be running them out of order, which is weird.

I also noticed that there seemed to be a second season of BG. I had heard it only ran for one season. Lorne Greene seemed to be the only returning actor. Does anyone know if this is correct, or was the web site I was looking at in error?

Passionate Fan

Passionate Fan

Closed Thread   Post New Thread