Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud Appreciation #1

Welcome to the 1st Bartimaeus Trilogy appreciation thread

Quote:
The title character, Bartimaeus, is a five-thousand year old djinni, a spirit of approximately mid-level power. There are five basic levels of spirits; in order of increasing strength they are: imps, foliots, djinni, afrits and marids. Above these levels exist even more powerful entities, who are rarely summoned. Human magicians use spells to compel these spirits to perform feats of power.

The story is told through the viewpoint of three characters, the magician Nathaniel (later known as John Mandrake), the djinni Bartimaeus, and the commoner Kitty Jones. There is also one short chapter featuring the viewpoint of a foliot called Simpkin.

1.) The Amulet of Samarkand

When the 5,000-year-old djinni Bartimaeus is summoned by Nathaniel, a young magician's apprentice, he expects to have to do nothing more taxing than a little levitation or a few simple illusions. But Nathaniel is a precocious talent and has something rather more dangerous in mind: revenge. Against his will, Bartimaeus is packed off to steal the powerful Amulet of Samarkand from Simon Lovelace, a master magician of unrivalled ruthlessness and ambition. Before long, both djinni and apprentice are caught up in a terrifying flood of magical intrigue, murder and rebellion. Set in a modern-day London controlled by magicians, this hilarious, electrifying thriller will enthral readers of all ages.

2.) The Golem's Eye

Two years have passed since the events of The Amulet of Samarkand and the young magician Nathaniel is rising fast through the government ranks. But his career is suddenly threatened by a series of terrifying crises. A dangerous golem makes random attacks on London and other raids, even more threatening, are perpetrated by the Resistance. Nathaniel and Bartimaeus travel to Prague, enemy city of ancient magic, but while they are there uproar breaks out at home and Nathaniel returns to find his reputation in tatters. Can he rescue it from his Machiavellian adversaries in the government bent on his destruction?

3.) Ptolemy's Gate

'Once, long ago, I was second to none. I could bore through mountains... fell forests with a single breath...'

Two-thousand years have passed since Bartimaeus was at the height of his powers - invincible in battle and befriended by the great magician Ptolemy.
Now, trapped on Earth and treated with disdain by his master, Nathaniel, his energies are fading fast. With Nathaniel preoccupied by the problems of a failing empire, and more rigid and insensitive than ever, the long-suffering djinni's patience is finally at and end.

Meanwhile, undercover in London, the fugitive Kitty Jones has been stealthily completing her research on magic and demons. She has a plan that she hopes will break the endless cycle of conflict between djinn and humans - but first she must uncover the secrets of Bartimaeus's past.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Elite Fan

Read the first book, liked it.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

I've got the whole box set sitting on my book shelve, so I'll get to them eventually.

Are you planing the rest of the series as well?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Elite Fan

I do.

But so many books, so little time.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Elite Fan

I really want to read this series. I had intended to read them this year, but 2011 definitely
Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Reading this series is one of my resolutions for the new year, hopefully it'll come true
Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Elite Fan

I've been told that the first was great as is (stood alone), so that'll be good to know if I have to hold off on the others for awhile
Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiagonalZipper (View Post)
I've been told that the first was great as is (stood alone), so that'll be good to know if I have to hold off on the others for awhile
That's what I've heard as well
Old 01-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Elite Fan

I hope I'll have a chance to start the series this year, anyway