Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesSacrifice (View Post)
The best show ever created.
I agree, although Farscape might have surpassed it if it hadn't have been cancelled.

Babylon 5 wasn't just great television, it was great literature. I seriously consider it to be a literary masterpiece. It had all of the elements: conflict (all its forms -- man v. man, man v. self, man v. nature, etc), irony, foreshadowing, tragic characters, heroic characters, static and dynamic characters, etc. The best aspect is that the two characters that could be argued to be the most dynamic can also be argued to be the most static -- G'Kar and Londo. So many scenes were just breathtakingly powerful (Londo walking alone to his coronation as the scenes of the last few years of his life flashed, the death scene of Lord Refa, etc.) as were the monologues. Besides G'Kar's voice-over at the end of the third season, there was his speech when Londo kicked him out of the council chambers after Narn had fallen. There were Delenn's speech before the Grey Council in "Severed Dreams" and then later in the same episode her "get out or we will kick your ass" speech to the Earth fleet sent to capture the station. Who can forget Ivanova's "I am Death Incarnate...God sent me" in "Between the Darkness and the Light"?

Best season? I'd have to agree with S3. Everything the first two seasons had built up to came to a boil. S4 was a close second. Then S2, then S5 (even with the horribly painful to watch episodes with Byron) and then S1.

Last edited by enigma777; 07-03-2008 at 11:14 PM
Old 07-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Elite Fan

Really? I'd switch Seasons 5 and 1. For me, if they ended with Season 4 it would have been better. It just seemed to be off from the rest of the series' tone.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryostar (View Post)
Really? I'd switch Seasons 5 and 1. For me, if they ended with Season 4 it would have been better. It just seemed to be off from the rest of the series' tone.
I never really cared for Sinclair. I think the reason that season five seemed off is that it essentially had to start over since all of the major plot threads had been resolved.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Elite Fan

I agree, though the time jump between the end of 4 and beginning of 5 didn't help. I know they wanted them to seem disconnected, but it was almost like they were 2 different shows.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryostar (View Post)
I agree, though the time jump between the end of 4 and beginning of 5 didn't help. I know they wanted them to seem disconnected, but it was almost like they were 2 different shows.
Do you mean in the storyline? There wasn't that much of a time jump between the end of season four and the beginning of season five - maybe a month or two - unless I'm forgetting something.

If there was a disconnect, it may have had to do with the switch to TNT. As I recall, they didn't even find out there was going to be a fifth season until towards the end of season four. That is why "Sleeping in Light" was actually part of the fourth season production. It was the series finale and when they found out about the fifth season, the episode was moved.

"Although this episode (The Deconstruction of Falling Stars) is part of the fifth-season production run, it's actually the fourth-season finale. The fifth-season finale, "Sleeping in Light," was shot during the fourth-season production run because it wasn't clear that the show was being renewed; once the renewal was announced, another episode had to be substituted. For some reason the onscreen credits at the end of the episode don't reflect that; they list a production number of 422 rather than the more accurate 501."

Speaking of being two completely different shows, a big reason I could not get into Crusade was that there was too much separation from the original series. That and the technomage, and the other characters.

Last edited by enigma777; 04-05-2009 at 08:59 PM
Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Elite Fan

Hrm, I always thought it was more like 6 months. At least it seemed that way, with the sudden appearance of the telepaths, etc. Just hard to get into.

As for Crusade, I see where you're coming from. I know the mission was a bit different, so was the concept. The Technomage I could have done without, but they needed something to be mysterious, like the vorlons. My big thing was that it was too episodic. There was little feeling of continuity between episodes, and we didn't address any bigger mysteries, like the ship that destroyed his original command.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, there really wasn't a hook, and there really was nothing that made me interested about the characters. I guess it didn't help that the episodes were aired out of order, so the story and the flow of the series were very uneven/chaotic (can't think of the word right now.) As you said, there was little feeling of continuity.

The first season of B5 was very episodic, but it had a hook. Right from the beginning, there was the mystery about Sinclair (at the end of the pilot movie) and the conflict between the Narn and the Centauri. Crusade didn't have that. After a few episodes, I lost interest.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Elite Fan

Not just little feeling of continuity within the series, but there was little feeling of continuity with B5 itself. The ship didn't feel familiar, and the new uniforms and attitudes felt wrong, in many ways.

Let's not forget the Mimbari as well. They were reclusive and quite powerful. Vicious. I still remember the rings that D'lenn used that increased gravities. They were quite nice.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 AM
Obsessed Fan

I never got into Crusade, i think i only saw about 3 episodes.

Misha's Minion
My LJ Kender's Twitter
Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Elite Fan

That may have been all that aired.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Supreme Fan

At first, I couldn't get into Babylon 5 ... but it's funny how if you catch a character that really catches your eye, you can be drawn into a show. For me, that happened with Star Trek: DS9 and Babylon 5. For B5, it was G'Kar ... and for DS9, it was Odo.

I was thrilled that I got to meet AK (G'Kar) at a convention once -- he's a great guy. Also met Jason Carter (forgot the character name, but he was the one secretly in love with Ivanova). Unfortunately, that night he (JC) got so drunk at the hotel bar (that's where the sci fi con was) that he tried jumping over lined up chairs, stumbled, and hit his chin on the floor . He tried to blame the hotel. It was memorable, at least .
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 04-13-2009, 04:54 AM
Elite Fan

Marcus was his name. And that's 100% hilarious. I love that story.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

New Thread