Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Elite Fan

I agree with you - there should obviously be strict physical requirements, but at least the opportunity should be there.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Supreme Fan

The women should have the same physical requirements as men, but the PFT in the military really needs to be changed. In today's world, our military isn't running three miles at a 7 minute pace or doing 45 push ups. The Army is looking at a more practical PFT where you have to climb up things and run over and under things and carry things a certain distance. I think that's much more effective. And, if a woman can do it, she should be able to do the same jobs as a man can. If a man is not psychologically capable of handling a woman in the military then he's the one who needs to be discharged or transferred because he is obviously not fit for service, not the other way around.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's also a very good point.

I don't know much about the reality of combat these days, and of course your girlfriend is in the military, so you would know more about it than me. But it makes sense to me that combat has changed and brute strenght may not be what is require any more.

Requirements should be adjusted thusly.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Have we seen the argument from our resident favorite "Trying to Get Obama Re-Elected By Saying the Most Outrageous Crap Possible" Republican Santorum, that women shouldn't fight in the military (along with the old argument about no gays because straight men shouldn't have to hide in foxholes with them) because it puts too much strain on the men trying to save us? I think if he'd said that in front of me I might actually have been tempted to bust out my stun gun and use it on him to show him how much I do not need or want a big strong man like him to protect me.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Elite Fan

Why is it that the Republicans think that the military is so weak-minded that they can't fight alongside anyone that isn't like them?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar (View Post)
Why is it that the Republicans think that the military is so weak-minded that they can't fight alongside anyone that isn't like them?
Yeah, that was the same argument that Republicans used against the repeal of DADT. They ignored the fact that most soldiers live with each other. They know when their friends are gay and when they're straight. It's never been an issue. Sure, some meat-head idiots say stupid crap and gay men definitely have to be careful about what they say, but that's the reality in and out of the military. 90% of the men in the military would have no problems serving with a woman as long as she had passed a PFT that was identical to the one that he had passed, as long as she expected no special treatment, and as long as she had completed his training.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

I also think there's a generational gap in the military that makes sense if you think of how people rise through the ranks when they have more experience behind them.

So that the people at the top may not always be "hip with the times" or whatever and still hold on to antiquated ideas.

On the other end, you have the people on the ground who see their buddies, male and female, and have no problem whatsoever fighting alongside their buddies, be they men or women, gay or straight.

I mean, it's obviously not always the case that people up top don't realize that the soldiers don't give a hoot, but it would certainly explain why some people think the military would be resistant to reflecting its own reality openly.

And, to get us back to women's rights, to give women their own shot at doing the job they want to do.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Banned

Santorum is a joke but I think you guys are misunderstanding what he said. He didn't say it was about women being weak or not being able to do the job. He said that men are weak in the sense that they have an instinct to want to help women if they think women need help. He said that would be a distraction. I'm not an expert on the military but it seems like it could be a distraction for women and men to be so close more than straight men and gay men to be together. Women can do combat or whatever it's called but I would not be surprised if some started to complain about it. There is a mentality about how we should have equality when it comes to gender yet some females don't exactly follow that. They want to be treated just like men but don't want to do the "heavy lifting". I see it all the time at my work and in society. This is 2012 people. If you are able bodied and can do a task, I don't care if you are a woman, you should do it. If you want to get rid of sexism and gender inequality, then people's attitudes have to change. That means stop babying women. If they think they can do something, let them do it.
If you are physically or mentally unable to do a task, then it's understandable. However, if you don't want to do a task because you don't want to do it and want to get someone from the opposite sex to do it then there is a problem.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

This isn't news so much as something I saw on Tumblr and found deeply troubling. Some collected disturbing tweets from young women regarding Chris Brown on the Grammys tonight:

the devil wears westwood

Here's one charming example:

I almost don't even know what to say- where are we going wrong as a society, when this is seen as acceptable by MANY young women to post? Why isn't domestic violence taken more seriously? He beat her nearly to death- there isn't anything sexy or romantic about that.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned

You should have seen the Grammys. I only watched a few minutes of it but apparently if you beat women, people cheer you. Chris Brown was cheered while he was singing. That right there just shows you how sad society is.
Chris Brown still wants people to feel sorry for him. That is just really sad and pathetic on his part. He beat his girlfriend and still wants people to feel sorry for him. What a joke. Women beaters are on the same level as rapists and child molesters when it comes to the level of sympathy people give out.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Elite Fan

However inadequate it was, Chris Brown did his time. I have to admit seeing him cheered does make me feel kinda queasy, though - and some young women really need to think about what they type before they do so.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

He may have legally done his time, but I don't think any amount of time would ever be sufficient for me to find it acceptable that girls seem to think of him as a sex symbol, let alone make jokes about how he could "beat them any time." Do they think if the guy is hot enough, it somehow makes getting beaten nearly to death romantic? And going by his "throwing a chair out the window" antics, it doesn't seem his temper problems have magically been cured.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Supreme Fan

I'm Not Okay With Chris Brown Performing at the Grammys and I'm not Sure Why You Are

This is a pretty interesting article. And I really agree with most of it. I don't think that he has done his time or learned a lesson. But then, he was a grown man at the time and he has zero excuse for his behavior.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Elite Fan

Are you okay with Michael Vick playing again, then? Having done your time means that you should be able to return to your life - though I do think Chris Brown's punishment was inadequate.

This is upsetting: 25 Extremely Upsetting Reactions To Chris Brown At The Grammys.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Supreme Fan

No, I hate Vick. I don't think he should ever be allowed to play professional football again. I don't really think his punishment was adequate either but people are OK with it because hey, he's a good football player and it was just dogs.