Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Master Fan

Instead of sanctimonious, just don't post. Simple.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Nope, I call out stupid when I see it.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Obsessed Fan

Are you of the mind that TV is merely for entertainment and a passive means of absorbing information?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebobsh (View Post)
What’s stupid is you wasting people’s time with your insulting posts. If you don’t like this thread, don’t post on it, and if you continue with these types of posts, I’ll take further action.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Lol the condescension over something that doesn't concern you. If you have nothing relevant to contribute, don't post.

Stefan&Katherine
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueenFanGirl (View Post)
Are you of the mind that TV is merely for entertainment and a passive means of absorbing information?
Sadly, many people do.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelisse (View Post)
I couldn't agree more... Bonnie would definitely have been labeled spunky/sassy had she been blond, and likely could have been a fan favorite. So I think the audience is as much to blame as the writers when it comes to Bonnie's treatment.
Yeah, I definitely agree.

Wouldn't it be something if Bonnie dies for good(and Kat is off the show for good), and when the show comes back in season five, that there is a new witch? And she is a white redhead? And it doesn't take her a whole season to get a love interest? And Elena loves her and treats her fairly? It would be ... something.

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy
Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I was merely pointing out that this isn't the only show to be able to compare to social issues, like someone mentioned the treatment of women. I just don't think it should be a vampire diaries only thread as it should be open to every other tv show and movie, past or current. Looking at issues of the times is always reflected in movies and tv shows. Relevant to what is going on in this world right now, so many shows could be looked at, too.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Master Fan

Well I agree that we should prob make it more of a general discussion of tv shows.

Stefan&Katherine
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I've seen almost 10,000 movies and am starting to watch TV shows (thank you Netflix, VUDU, HULU and HBO Go haha) and there are so many hot button topics that are tackled in some shows and it puts a gritty yet real perspective on things that happen in the world. That's all I was saying, I'd like a general thread about where it can all be talked about. I meant no harm.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
Excellent point. That often happens on shows. Joey was really cruel to Jen on Dawson’s Creek just because Dawson liked her, and Serena and Blair would do and say really horrible things to each other on Gossip Girl, but they never really lashed out at the guys, or at least not as much. I think that does send out a terrible message to the young girls that watch these shows.
I used to dislike Joey back in the first season of DC for this same reason (and this was the time when everybody else loved her). Girls being this critical of other girls is something that happens in real life and I don't have a problem with shows depicting that as long as it is shown how wrongful those attitudes are. Yet, in season 1 of DC we were supposed to root for Joey to get with Dawson so I felt like her behavior was at best of times shoved under the rug and at the worse celebrated.

The awful thing here was that this led to some really scary attitudes on the side of the fans, like creating a site to hate on the character (I Hate Jen) and then they, especially the girls, were so nasty with their words that they actually hurt Michelle Williams' feelings when she was just a teenager herself doing her job (which I alway thought she did pretty well).
Old 05-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by _vega_ (View Post)
I used to dislike Joey back in the first season of DC for this same reason (and this was the time when everybody else loved her). Girls being this critical of other girls is something that happens in real life and I don't have a problem with shows depicting that as long as it is shown how wrongful those attitudes are. Yet, in season 1 of DC we were supposed to root for Joey to get with Dawson so I felt like her behavior was at best of times shoved under the rug and at the worse celebrated.

The awful thing here was that this led to some really scary attitudes on the side of the fans, like creating a site to hate on the character (I Hate Jen) and then they, especially the girls, were nasty with their words that they actually hurt Michelle Williams' feelings when she was just a teenager herself doing her job (which I alway thought she did pretty well).
Joey was really mean in the first season. I watch that show with my wife and I can't stand her in that season. When her sister puts lipstick on her (I think in season 1) that was a turning point for her character.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I've seen almost 10,000 movies and am starting to watch TV shows (thank you Netflix, VUDU, HULU and HBO Go haha) and there are so many hot button topics that are tackled in some shows and it puts a gritty yet real perspective on things that happen in the world. That's all I was saying, I'd like a general thread about where it can all be talked about. I meant no harm.
Fair enough. I think it's valid that it could be turned into a general discussion thread, if it makes people feel more comfortable about posting their ideas in general.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Bearing in mind that this thread was never intended to be a list of issues brought up in shows...

For instance, I don't think the female loss of agency on Vampire Diaries was ever an actual topic of that show.

Just a very unfortunate pattern that has emerged...
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterity (View Post)
Fair enough. I think it's valid that it could be turned into a general discussion thread, if it makes people feel more comfortable about posting their ideas in general.
I think that this has already turned into more of a general discussion thread, which is fine. We've brought up other shows and other characters already, and I think that this is a valid topic for this board, because a lot of people who watch shows like these are impressionable, and I don't like some of the messages that these shows send out.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy