Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 04:12 AM
Total Fan

News & Politics Off-Topic Thread # 13 ~ Let's Have A Proper Chat!

I had just posted on the old thread when I realized that we've already reached the 300th post

So bringing the last two posts over:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
The weekend promises to be as hectic as the week has been.

My mother and stepfather are coming tomorrow to bring the new bookcase, which will require some on-site assembly. Then we'll also go to Costco so I can get some of the larger items I get there because it's cheaper to buy them in bulk.

My cleaning lady's also coming tomorrow, which means I have today to run my errands, finish my house cleaning and whatever baking I had planned this weekend. I have laundry and dishes to do, baking to do (and the dishes that'll create), and I had hoped to buy everything I need for my zucchini bread yesterday but the store didn't have cranberries, so I need to find some soon.

I also have to complete the minutes of the church meeting I had last weekend and send them on to our coordinator for disemmination. I haven't had time to do that this week.

What about you? Any nice plans this weekend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaist (View Post)
Sounds like a pretty busy weekend indeed. I hope you'll be able to get all of this done to your satisfaction

By the way, is it standard for stores in Canada to be open on Sundays?

My plans for the weekend are/were to get additional stuff done for school, do the cleaning and visit my mum. So far I've been to my mum's and read another book from the exam list... So only the cleaning's left to be done.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, most stores are open on Sundays. Maybe not smaller, family-home stores. But most stores are open.

Well, I'm so happy that the day's finally over for me.

I mean, I still have stuff to do. The new bookcase is in, so I have to start re-organizing everything to fit it up.

But that will wait.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
Yeah, most stores are open on Sundays. Maybe not smaller, family-home stores. But most stores are open.
That must be so convenient, I wish we had that here as well
Old 09-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't really remember it being different, so it's hard to judge.

It's fairly recent, in that about 20 years or so ago, stores were close on Sundays.

Of course, they're not open very long. Ten in the morning to five at night.

In the United States, it's typically eight or night through to nine o'clock.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Total Fan

Well, we're having public debates from time to time about making it legal for stores to be open on Sundays, but in the end worker right advocates always end up overruling corporate intents.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think, here, what made the difference were probably that workers' unions have never been that strong in the business world.

That and there are consumer groups.

Funnily enough, I think it all started because of the notion of equal religious rights. Saturday is apparently a sacred day for Judaism (I think). So Jewish businesses had lobbied to switch Saturday and Sunday for their weekend opening hours.

And then it snowballed quickly to every business staying open on Sunday.

Like I said, it's always been this way in my memory.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Total Fan

I think we'll get there eventually as well. But the hands-off-Sundays attitude is sitting too deep in people's minds as it is now

Anyways, how are you doing this week?

I'm actually so tired all the time...

Probably a side-effect of these antibiotics I have to take due to a mysterious as well as annoying skin rash I got
Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Dedicated Fan

Hi all'

We are now in a city called Kelowna over in BC in the west, one five hour flight amd three days on a coach since Montreal.

Speaking of which, i think the restauramt in the old quarter so to speak was was Jardin Nelson or similar to that.

Quebec City is like a corner of Europe, all tge more so with the rain. lol I tried Poutine there and if you don't mind Sunny, i am happy to leave that in your care.

What else...oh! During the 100s of miles between Calgary and Golden we were not greeted with one bear, a night time glimpse of an elk and thousands of gift shops though. Whale watching in Victoria which i am looking forward to.

Air Canada has impressed me so far as an airline whether long haul or otherwise.

The shops in the UK oprerate with some restrictions on Sundays however are allowed to be open until mid to late afternoon.
Beyond its own sweet will. - John Greenleaf Whittier

Last edited by Nick HeyRee; 09-18-2013 at 05:49 PM
Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nick I'm glad to hear you weren't on a train heading towards Ottawa this morning. A bad day for Canadian transport.

And I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed Air Canada services. I'm afraid I've only been on one flight, and it was not even an hour-long flight from Montreal to Toronto, so very hard to judge for me.

Were you expecting to see bears in Golden/Calgary? I know very little of bears, except that Churchill, Manitoba is rife with them. Of course, that's on the northernmost tip of Manitoba, so thousands of kilometres away from where you are. Which means my knowledge is irrelevant here.

And I never was too fond of poutine. I don't like when my ingredients are thrown together like that. Curd cheese? Good on its own. French fries? Obviously, awesome food. Gravy? Delicious. Put together? Messy and gross. So, no offense taken there.

And say hi to the orcas for me, if you see them! That'd be one reason I'd like to go to Victoria, one day.

Oh, and I've been to Jardin Nelson. A while ago. At the time, people were still allowed to smoke there, since it was out-of-doors, so I mostly remember being uncomfortable.

But I remember the food was intimidating, so I imagine that means it was of good quality.

Cristina I'm afraid this week has been same-old, same-old in that I'm completely exhausted. I've been sorting and organizing my books since Sunday and between that and everything else I "have" to do after work, I feel a little drained.

It probably doesn't help that I smashed my little toes on the side of the bathtub on Saturday and they're still quite sore. So I've been hobbling around a little.

Have you tried diaper cream for your mysterious rash? I know it sounds embarassing, but the last time I had a mysterious rash, that's what someone recommended to me and, do you know, it disappeared inside a couple of days.

Of course, I never did find out what caused it. But I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, you know?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Total Fan

Nick, sounds like you're enjoying your trip, which is nice to hear. Whale watching certainly must be an experience of its own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick HeyRee (View Post)
The shops in the UK oprerate with some restrictions on Sundays however are allowed to be open until mid to late afternoon.
Quite interesting how each Christian-informed nation is dealing with that issue in its own way

Sunny, I can totally relate to you feeling drained, working full-time in my view is enough of a strain already, so having to do additional stuff surely makes things pretty stressful. I hope you will be able to get some rest at the upcoming weekend, though?

And no, I haven't tried diaper cream, but thank you for that recommendation!

I will definitely try that in case the rash should flare up again, but I'd rather stay away from putting something on it as it's really gotten so much better with these antibiotics. I don't want to risk anything there
Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, Cristina, that was just me passing on the recommendation. I'm not a doctor and I have no pretensions to being one. Just passing along something that once helped me out.

And, yeah, the plan is to sleep through the entire weekend.

Although I do have things to do around the house. The books are really almost completely sorted, but I'd like to finalize that. I have everything to try the zucchini bread again and I need to do it before the ingredients go bad. There's still some laundry to do.

But I think that's about it.

Seriously, though, I'm keeling over here. I need to sleep. A lot.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Total Fan

Oh, I know and I really appreciate your recommendation, Sunny

It's just that as the rash's nearly disappeared by now, I think it's better to leave it alone altogether. Should it flare up again, I'm definitely gonna try applying that diaper cream though.

And I assume you're glad that the weekend's finally arrived now?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

"Glad" doesn't even begin to cover how relieved I was to see the weekend arrive.

I've never run a marathon, but I would imagine it's a bit like how amateurs feel when they see the finish line appear.

I'm almost incoherent with it.

Of course, it doesn't help that I had trouble getting to sleep last night.

It's fine, really.

I can afford to take it easy this weekend.

How's your weekend coming along?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Total Fan

Nothing out of the ordinary, really

Except that I'm excited for the TV show Downton Abbey coming back to the screens tonight
Old 09-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Is it?

Okay, I checked the local PBS station and it won't appear on TV here for another several months.

I was a bit nervous, because I promised my mum I'd let her know when it was coming back.