Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Good News Thread #3 ~ Can't Nothing Bring Me Down

From the old thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Logan (View Post)
Wasnt a thread for funny news so here goes

Link to a anchor woman in Michigan trying not to laugh at 911 call from a cop, who took weed put it in brownies ,he and wife ate them he is so wasted . thinks he is dying. He had confiscated the pot but used it himself .. Her co anchor is off camera laughing ..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have either heard that audio clip before or two people went through the same experience.

I'll grant you that it's very funny.

But in a way that makes you a little sad about humanity, no?
Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes and no .. not only stoned people that call 911 it is drunk or otherwise very dumb people .

Sad that perhaps somebody who really needed help, may have had to wait that extra min.

In the days of daily sad or horrific news it is always good to get a laugh at struff like this.

CNN Anderson Cooper has a segment at the end of his show Ridiculous , finds stories that are funny /lighthearted . nice to have those stories on air .
Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm pretty sure people accidentally "butt dialing" 911 are probably wasting more resources than a guy having a self-inflicted panic attack.

I still think it's a bit sad that we would be making fun of him for being a bit of dumb butt on this one.

I mean, obviously, that's the whole joke and who am I to disagree?

But I just... It must be embarassing.

I'm just grateful none of my embarassments have yet made it to the six o'clock news, you know?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Kidnapped baby in Texas found by jogger

A kidnapped baby has been reunited with its mother after being found by the side of road by a woman out jogging.

Police in Houston searched overnight on Sunday for eight-month-old Genesis Haley after her mother's vehicle was taken as she paid for petrol.

The stolen car was found shortly after the incident but with no baby inside.

But jogger Hong Nguyen called police when she found the little girl crying, still in her car seat, while out running at 08:00 local time on Monday.

Genesis was then handed back to her mother after getting the all-clear at hospital.

"That's my duty as a human being to do that," Ms Nguyen told local broadcaster KHOU. "I can't believe - it was so scary to see that situation."

The Houston police officer that responded said he took the car seat with the eight-month-old inside and carried her out to the open to check for injuries.

"Once I saw that she was moving and appeared OK, I took her out of the car seat, held her, and just tried to console her," Officer Albert Pizana said.

He used his uniform shirt to swaddle her and calm her down.

The search for the suspect continued on Tuesday.
All's well that ends well, but can you just imagine?

The mother must have been outside her mind with worry.

And that jogger is just amazing!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Not exactly happy news... but I hope heart-warming and touching is good enough:
Quote:
Boy Uses Make-A-Wish To Make Selfless Gesture « CBS Pittsburgh

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A treasure chest filled with toys brought smiles to a 4-year-old boy from Mercer, during visits to the Children’s Hospital oncology clinic.

So when the Make-a-Wish Foundation granted him the wish of his choice, he decided to “pay it forward.”

Dominic Kerr went on a shopping spree. But the wagon loads of gifts are not for him.

Joined by little brother Damian, flanked by applauding hospital staff, he makes his way into the clinic. Dominic is all too familiar with this room.
When it came to making a wish, his father, Mick Kerr says, “We kind of let him decide, and he always enjoyed getting toys out of the treasure chest. So it was kind of a natural fit, I guess.”

Make-a-Wish grants wishes to children with life threatening conditions. Diagnosed with a form of cancer two years ago, Dominic made his choice.
“Dominic wished not for himself but for other children,” says regional Make-a-Wish President Judith Stone. “He had a memory of coming to children’s hospital, and one of the highlights was going to the treasure chest.”

“And he went on a shopping spree yesterday, and practically bought out Toys ‘R’ Us,” she continued. “And they were also very generous and they added things for him to bring today for the other children.”

He had the same experience at Walmart. Now, that treasure chest is overflowing.

“Just seeing him, as happy as the toys made him, I hope it makes other kids as happy,” says his dad. “And hope it gives them hope and makes it an easier time in the whole situation.”

Dominic’s response?

“Because I wanted to see the kids happy.”
Old 06-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, this is precisely the thread for that kind of story.

Isn't it beautiful when you hear of child doing something this selfless and hopeful and kind?

That boy is a hero in the truest sense of the word.

Thank you for bringing that story over.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Man 'bends car door' of burning vehicle to save driver

A man saved a driver from a burning car by bending the door with his bare hands, say police, describing his feat of "superhuman strength".

Bob Renning, 52, pulled up on a freeway in Minnesota to help another vehicle that was filling with smoke.

He told the Minneapolis Star Tribune he was not sure how he bent the door open far enough to shatter the window glass.

Police officer Zachary Hill was first to the scene and full of praise for Mr Renning's "extraordinary" heroics.

"He did an extraordinary deed, bending a locked car door in half, of a burning car, to extricate a trapped person," said Hill.

Mr Renning, a member of the US National Guard, said he sprinted towards the vehicle as he saw flames and smoke "rolling around" the SUV. His girlfriend called 911.

After he realised the vehicle was locked and the windows would not work, Mr Renning gripped the top of the door frame with his fingers, braced his foot against the door and pulled, according to the Minnesota State Patrol.

The man in the vehicle, Michael Johannes, said he did not realise someone was trying to save him as he held his breath in the smoke-filled car.

He suffered minor smoke inhalation and light cuts from being pulled through the shattered window.

"Thirty seconds later and I would have been done," Mr Johannes said. "It was a good thing I didn't have my family in there."
However Mr Renning managed to do what he did, and I imagine there must be a reasonable explanation, it's a pretty remarkable thing that he ran towards a burning car and saved a man's life.

Not everyone would have had that courage.

And how amazing that Mr Johannes seems mostly concerned with the fact that at least he was alone in the car, so that his family were never in danger along with him?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Elderly couple's 'miracle' escape from car plunge

An elderly couple had a lucky escape when their car ricocheted off a wall, went backwards over a 10-foot drop and flipped into a river.

Gardai came to their rescue within minutes of the grey Audi A4, with a Sligo reg, careering off the road over a stone bridge in Boyle, Co Roscommon, [Ireland].

The accident occurred at about 1.35pm yesterday, just yards from the town's Royal Hotel.

Passers-by and local business owners rushed to the scene after they heard "shrill" screaming. A male driver and a female passenger, believed to be in their 70s, were trapped inside the car. A number of men jumped into the river and others raised the alarm.

Injuries

An eyewitness told the Irish Independent: "The car was on its side. It had hit one part of the bridge and then ricocheted across, taking the other side clean out, before plunging into the river.

"Luckily it's the summer time because the level of the water would be much higher in winter."

Fire personnel used cutting equipment to get the driver and passenger out. A source said it was a "miracle" the couple suffered only cuts and bruises.

"We used what's called a 'roof fold'; we basically fold the roof back to get them out. The car was lying on its side so we couldn't protect the casualties by getting them out through the passenger door," he said.

Both casualties were taken to Sligo Hospital for treatment for non-life threatening injuries.
Pretty remarkable that they got out of their mostly unscathed.

It's always nice to hear of people rallying to help in a crisis situation like that, isn't it?
Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Viral photo captures 'raw emotion' of Toronto dads holding baby for first time

A photo of two Toronto fathers meeting their son for the first time has been seen around the world, prompting thousands of messages of support.

The photo was taken the first time Frank Nelson and his partner BJ Barone held their baby Milo, who was born during WorldPride Week.

The photo of Baby Milo was captured by a birth photographer on June 27, just minutes after he was born to a surrogate. Nelson was captured looking down at the tiny boy, trying to hold back tears, while Barone put his arms around both of them.

Barone said that he and Nelson felt excited, emotional and a bit scared at the time.

"It was the most incredible, incredible feeling I've ever felt," Barone told CTV Toronto. "Just thinking about that photo... it's just such raw emotion."

Nelson and Barone, both high school teachers with the Toronto District School Board, named their baby after a Hawaiian flower and Nelson's late grandmother.

When the baby was born in Kingston, Ont., the new dads were asked to remove their shirts to be closer with the baby. Baby books and blogs recommend parents have skin-to-skin contact with babies to release Oxytocin, often referred to as the "attachment chemical," according to parenting blog What to Expect.

Photographer Lindsay Foster asked the dads if she could post the photo on her Facebook page.

"All of a sudden, we're getting like after like, and comment after share. Our friend had messaged us and said, 'You guys are going viral,'" Barone said.

As of Friday morning, the photo had more than 41,000 likes, 7,017 shares and 5,638 comments.

The new fathers said they've been overwhelmed by the well wishes for Milo. Though there were some negative comments, Barone said the positive responses have by far outweighed the negative.

"We are so lucky to live in a place like Toronto and Canada," Nelson said.

"I think this picture just represents pure and unconditional love, whether it's a man or a woman."
That's such a touching image, to be honest.

Congratulations to the new family.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
100-year-old woman helps German police nab con-man

BERLIN -- This 100-year-old German woman was too sharp for a would-be trickster.

Police in Berlin said Tuesday they have arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of attempted fraud after being tipped off by the quick-witted retiree.

The woman had smelled a rat when she received a call Sunday from a woman claiming to represent a maintenance firm and offering to check her electrical appliances.

Instead of hanging up, the centenarian accepted the offer, then swiftly alerted the police.

Officers had little trouble arresting the man, whose name wasn't given, when he showed up minutes later. The suspect, a convicted swindler, had been released from prison just five days earlier.

Police did not disclose details of the suspected fraud or the woman's name.
With all the stories of elder abuse in the news lately, I think it's easy to forget that some of them can be far more shrewd than we give them credit for.

How awesome is this woman, huh?

A criminal is off the streets because of her quick thinking and readiness to follow her instincts.

Good on her!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Moderator Support Team

wow this woman is really awesome. great news

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign

Old 07-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Total Fan

That was awesome, like a real life Miss Marple
Old 07-12-2014, 03:22 AM
Moderator Support Team

haha and that one wasnt even THAT old

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign

Old 07-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not bad, right?