Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Can we have a cannabis legalization thread? I believe we have made a bit of a stride.

'People that are meant to be together always find their way in the end'
BrookeღLucas l EdwardღBella l RonღHermione l RyanღTaylor
avi: NOLA504
Old 01-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Generally speaking, stories about the legalization of cannabis tend to be filed in terms of their territorial applications.

For instance, I do know it's been discussed on the U.S. Politics thread when it came up at the last election. When the debate happened in Canada, it was discussed on the Canadian news thread. When they revisited the Amsterdam legislation, that was discussed on the European news thread.

Mind you, if you're willing to find stories from other areas that discuss an ongoing debate over the legalization of cannabis, perhaps that could sustain a thread devoted to that topic alone.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Its own thread probably wouldn't be such a bad idea. I know there are three or four states pending full legalization of pot, I do believe Oklahoma is one of them. Certainly going to be a wave of states legalizing it over the next few years. I don't personally smoke it but probably would every once in a while if it were legalized (plus think of all the money to the economy that would give, lol)
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

I've started a lot of threads over the years that have gone nowhere because no one posts on them.

Starting a new thread takes no effort whatsoever.

But then it becomes my job as moderator to keep the conversation going.

And it usually goes like this. We get a request. We start the thread. And about two days after that, Christina and I are in there posting by ourselves.

Notice how I'm not saying no to starting a thread on the legalization of cannabis. I'm just saying that I don't really have the energy to maintain yet another thread no one will post on.

And we already have other threads on which to discuss such issues.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

yeah, i try to mix in now but it really is just us three on most threads which is awesome. A few new bloods around here, though. I like that. Though that one seems almost trolling us...and me...but could just be me.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, I just think sometimes people need a little time to adapt to this board, that's all.

Not to mention that these topics tend to generate a lot of passion.

Trust me, when we get an actual troll, you'll be able to tell the difference.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I used to run a horror website forum with over a million people a month (not active posters but the traffic to the website) only had about 400 active posters each month....managed that for 7 years and the trolls were so horrible until I figured how to ban IP addresses, lol. That's a lifesaver!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

So you do know that that wasn't trolling at all, then.

Good. I'm glad to hear that.

Meanwhile:

http://www.fanforum.com/f117/republi...-2-a-63114692/ <----------- updated
Old 01-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Total Fan

Thanks for updating, Sunny!

I'd definitely echo what you said about our threads -- I guess the average 'lifespan' of a discussion is usually below 10 posts. Should a topic become so hotly and frequently debated that it goes far above this limit, then I think having an extra thread would make sense.

But this doesn't happen too often, in fact I can only seem to remember the Vampire Diaries thread in that regard
Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

There are a couple different kinds of trolling...most often on internet boards are snarky rude people who think they know everything because they know how to use google and don't have to respond in real time...that's who that person reminded me of. Doesn't bother me and heck, if it adds one more posting person here I don't mind a discussion that can learn in some education on both ends. Thanks for updating the Republicant/Conservative thread
Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
people who think they know everything because they know how to use google and don't have to respond in real time
Now that's the best description I've ever found of how I am online.

The point is this, that wasn't a troll, Matt.

That was just someone expressing their reaction to something you said.

So I'm glad to hear it didn't bother you, because indeed, we need people who can handle debate with respect on here.

Quote:
I'd definitely echo what you said about our threads -- I guess the average 'lifespan' of a discussion is usually below 10 posts. Should a topic become so hotly and frequently debated that it goes far above this limit, then I think having an extra thread would make sense.
This is also why I didn't create a thread in remembrance of Nelson Mandela.

Ten or twelve people posting "RIP Mandela" in a row does not a conversation make.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.

This used to be a very busy board.

So maybe my way of doing things is the problem.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
This used to be a very busy board.

So maybe my way of doing things is the problem.
Don't ever even think that, Sunny You're an amazing moderator!

And one of the biggest reasons I became active on this board as well, by the way

I think part of the problem may lie in the fact that social media's taken away much of the 'user potential' message boards used to have. Back when I joined , I can't remember having read about boards not getting people to apply for a moderator position. So this might just be another symptom, you know.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I notice a lot of people get jaded talking about news and politics as it's rarely optimistic and joyous. It's constantly looking at poverty, death, suffering, crime, etc.... Can get to people and bore others. Me, I love it! It's reality. People turn to reality tv all the time for entertainment and I find real life to be more than entertaining even if it's not always happy.

I would also like to wish everyone here a very Happy February!!!! New month, new beginning! Let's make it count here and for all of your personal lives, I hope the new month brings new opportunities and new reasons to smile!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

http://www.fanforum.com/f117/enterta...sees-63114923/ <------------ updated

I picked a title. Hope everyone likes it.

Christina Thank very, very much for saying that.

I question myself all the time in terms of how I do what I do here, so I take your words to heart.

I'd never thought of how social media may impact the traffic on this board. (Probably because, again, social media isn't in my life.)

What you say makes A LOT of sense.

Matt Yeah, I've always enjoyed discussing the issues.

It puts my little problems in such context to look at everything's that going in the world.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I really like the new title! and yes; seeing these real problems makes my life look almost perfect!