Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2004, 06:55 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

Tom's appearances ~ Video of Tom's message at the Jules Verne Festival, check it out!

The WB network has announced it is launching a new series in the fall based on J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books.

"We're very excited about this addition to our lineup," said WB co-CEO Jordan Levin. "The Harry Potter books have proved wildly successful when transferred to film, and we think a TV series is the next logical step for this franchise." The WB is owned by Warner Brothers, which has produced the first three Potter films.

The series, provisionally entitled "HP," will be an Americanized adaptation of the original books, more in keeping with the typical teen dramas which are the trademark of the WB.

"The first two movies did okay, but the third one [Prisoner of Azkaban] has been much better received. And do you know why? Because the kids are becoming teens," said Levin. "We think a teen Harry Potter drama really has potential to connect with our prime demographic – especially once we tone down the British cultural references."

The network's controversial decision to Americanize the series and re-imagine Hogwarts School of Wizardry as a high school in Malibu has incited an uproar from Harry Potter fan communities. The WB has expressed confidence that viewers will change their minds after the pilot airs in September, but critics are not so sure.

"The prime-time soaps aired by the WB are beyond awful," said television critic Gregory Vinson. "They're filled with ludicrously attractive twentysomethings pretending to be teenagers and sleeping around at the drop of a hat. The very concept of "Hogwarts 90210" makes me want to retch."

The decision to cast the muscular, six foot three Smallville heartthrob Tom Welling as Harry Potter has already sparked a storm of discussion on fansites worldwide.

"We think that Tom has already shown the brooding intensity you need to play Harry," countered Levin. "I mean, he's already got the dark hair. A pair of glasses and a little scar, and it'll be like Harry walked out of the book."

Fellow WB star Alyssa Milano, who has played a witch for years on the cult favorite Charmed has been cast as Hermione. The part of Harry's pal Ron Weasley has not been cast yet, but the network has confirmed rumors that the role is being "tweaked" to better resonate with American audiences.

"J.K. Rowling's books are extremely British," said Levin. "America's a much more diverse place than Britain, and we really needed to introduce a more urban element to the very provincial original. So it seemed logical to cast an African-American in the role of Ron."

Rowling herself has not officially commented on the new series, and there has been no mention of the series on her website. However, in an online chat over the weekend, she did offer the following enigmatic advice in closing:

"Make bloody well sure," she noted, "you always, always, always read the fine print when you sign something."

from The Watley Review

What do you think, guys?

Last edited by Pav; 07-03-2004 at 07:37 AM
Pav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Extreme Fan

It's a joke right? You're pulling my leg (a quaint British expression)
Old 06-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Master Fan

I saw this as well, I hope it's a joke. I love HP and I love Tom but I don't know about the idea of them coming together . And Alyssa as Hermione? (excuse me)
who you will be.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:21 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

I'm a big fan of Harry Potter (actually Ron/Hermione shipper) too. Alyssa is a good witch in "Charmed" and Tom looks like 10 years older Harry. I really don't know!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Part-Time Fan

noooooooo i like the british culture and i do not want to see Harry Potter "americanized." The WB needs to stop jumping at every chance to make a new series...cause this is just ridiculous
Keeper of Orli Clone #28
Arrow #295
Orli's Facial-Hair-Ologist

I blog, You blog, He/She/It blogs
Atherowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Master Fan

well put Wits couldn't have said it better myself
who you will be.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Dedicated Fan

A much as i love Tom and would love to see him play other roles, i think this is just pure bull, for one, the guy is 27 years old!!!!... He needs to step away from playing teen roles once Smallvillle ends.. i can not see him playing this role and the WB seriously needs to leave this alone.. The Harry Potter novels are only suitable for the big screen, they are insane to even try and tinker with the lore for the small screen, far too many people already associate the role of Harry with Daniel Radcliffe. I know i do. Tom is too old and too tall!

Sounds like someone somewhere is seriously taking the pee with this one and i'd take it with the hugest pinch of salt possible.

~*Write Your Soul Down Word For Word*~

*This is Smallville Clark, Land of the Strange, Home of the Weird"
Ruby Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

hopefully it's a rumour
Old 06-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Fan

I really hope this is a rumor, I mean what are they thinking?

But it most likely is a rumor, because why on warth would they cast people to play the leading roles who already have successful careers on other shows? Would'nt that take up so much of their time?
I've come to your rescue and you can't rescue me.
*Rach* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Rach*
I really hope this is a rumor, I mean what are they thinking?

But it most likely is a rumor, because why on warth would they cast people to play the leading roles who already have successful careers on other shows? Would'nt that take up so much of their time?
exactly... besides why would they cast "so old" people to play "so young" characters?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:34 PM
RB
Loyal Fan

oh my god......lets just keep our fingers crossed so that they don´t do it....I mean I just cant imagine Tom as HP......no no.....I just can´t.......and Alyssa Milano as Hermione?...I just can´t picture it....

...and besides..the article said the pilot aired in september...are they talking about this september? (maybe I misread it..).......isn´t it supposed that...actors can´t be in 2 shows at a time?...I believe Tom already has enough with Smallville.....how can they even think of him to play HP?......it just doesn't make any sense......Smallville is supposed to go for at least 2 more seasons.....

I just don't think the idea of making Tom play HP is bad...I think the whole idea of making a series out of the books is bad...I mean... what's next... they will want to make a TV series out of LOTR!....
Proud to be HOT #3

«((¯`·._.^._.-< (¯`·._.«¤°R ß & Ê®°¤»._.·´¯) >-._.^._.·´¯))»

When I look into your eyes..then I'll do better.....

"A guy that dresses up like a bat....clearly has issues" - Bruce Wayne

BATMAN BEGINS
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Pav
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by RB
they will want to make a TV series out of LOTR!
Oh no!

ETA

The information comes from The Watley Review which is dedicated to the production of articles completely without journalistic merit or factual basis, as this would entail leaving our chairs or actually working.

Even thought it's just a mystification, it's a quite good topic for discussion, isn't it?

Last edited by Pav; 10-21-2004 at 09:21 AM
Old 07-14-2004, 04:51 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

The Teen Choice Awards 2004 - Tom nominated in three categories!

The Teen Choice Awards 2004

Tom was nominated in the following categories:

Choice TV Actor - Drama/Action Adventure
Choice Male Hottie
Choice Movie Male Breakout Star

Since voting for named categories is over (and I'm too old), wish him luck and look forward to August 11th 2004 (Wednesday) when the awards show will air.

The Teen Choice Awards 2004
Old 07-14-2004, 05:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope he will win and OMG I'm not to old!! I love it to be young!
Old 07-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwish
I hope he will win and OMG I'm not to old!! I love it to be young!
I trust he will win all categories. You're a teen, your votes would count, 'cause The Teen Choice Awards are intended for girls and boys between the ages of 13 and 19.
Reply   Post New Thread