Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2015, 03:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Combat - Fun episode….

Clark is venting anger after the events of Promise, and so puts his full attention into helping Oliver & the Justice League capturing criminals in Metropolis. He believes that he should finally accept the fact that he's not human when Martha says all his feelings with anger are human. This is what we should be seeing for Clark, but not because of his anger and frustration. Through Oliver, Clark gets word of an underground fight club being broadcast online so he and Chloe watch an episode, broadcast live, and discover that the host is not only using meteor infected people from Belle Reve but also others outside the mental institution. As they watch, Clark discovers the ultimate champion, Titan is from the Phantom Zone, as he has a Kryptonian symbol on his arm, meaning fighter.

I like when Clark speeds in at the Talon apartment and Chloe's like, "Clark, slow down! I don't have enough money to hire a full-time maid to clean up everytime you decide to blow in!" Lois comes in desperate for a good story for the Inquistor and sees they might be on one, but Chloe tries to tell her it's a dead end. But when they leave, Lois spots one of the screen caps of the fight and recognises where the fight club is being held - an Air Force hanger. So Lois goes to the hangar dressed in a catsuit claiming to be a dancer from a nearby strip club and needs some help from the security guard Athena and takes some photos for her story. I liked how she takes Athena down but then gets caught by the host, Maddox.

Clark decides to talk his way into the ring to find Titan, only to find himself having to fight against Lois, though of course he doesn't. Lois goes to punch him and fails miserably - that part will always be so hilarious. Clark takes down the cameras just as Titan bursts in and punches Clark hard. Lois does her best to fight Titan herself, but only gets knocked out easily. Then the Clark/Titan fight begins. God I love this scene. It was so cool, not to mention Tom was so insanely hot in that leather jacket. That fight scene was miles better than some other 'fight' scenes, one in particular I'm thinking of. Three guesses which that one might be? Clark eventually brings Titan down, but didn't actually kill him, Titan just falls back on his own spike from Clark's last punch.

Back at the Kent Farm, Clark is going over photos and realizes there are probably more Phantom Zone prisoners. Since he doesn't know how to return them, the only way he can deal with them is to kill them. He confesses to Martha that he isn't sure if Titan's death was an accident and she tries to comfort him and reassure him his feelings mean he's human. Finally, he admits his anger is over Lana and he thinks someone forced her to marry Lex, but Martha says at some point he has to let go. How many times has Clark been told to let go of Lana?!

Then there's the whole Lex/Lana story. Lana is obviously unhappy, despite trying to put on a brave face for Lex. He gives her a drink, non alcoholic, to celebrate their one week anniversary. Later, Lex finds her collapsed in pain. At the hospital, Lex tells Lana there were complications and that she has lost the 'baby'. This was his plan all along. To fake her pregnancy so that she'd marry him, wait for the right time and then fake her miscarriage so that she'd be absolutely devastated and sorry for losing their 'baby'. If that's not desperate, I don't know what is. Back at the mansion in the nursery, she tells Lex she has discovered Dr. Langston was killed in a ''car accident" on the day of their wedding and wants to see his files, but Lex secretly gets the files from his family physician and burns them. I had completely forgot about all that.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Combat... I haven't watched that episode in a loong time; I can't tell by your review.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I wrote it pretty descriptively.

Progeny

This is such a sad episode. But it also doesn't make much sense. It starts off with how Chloe's mum, Moira, got detained in a mental institution when Chloe was about 8 or 9 years old. It turns out her mum has meteor rock in her bloodstream and has the power to control other meteor freaks. What confused me was the story that she told Chloe when she was 8. She had come home from school with ink all over her hands and Moira had told her to go wash her hands, but Chloe just went to her computer instead. Frustrated, Moira demanded that Chloe wash her hands till they were scrubbed clean, but she found Chloe in the bathroom with her hands covered in blood, she had scrubbed her hands till they were raw. Which is why Moira decided to detain herself, to protect her daughter. If this power thing was really the case, then that would mean that Chloe would have had meteor rock in her bloodstream since she was at least 8 years old, since Moira can only control meteor infected people. Which means she has been a 'walking time bomb' for much longer than she thought. I guess it does explain when the meteor rock got into her bloodstream, because when she found out in Freak, she didn't know for how long she had been infected. It doesn't really explain how, though. Nor does it make sense, 'cause Chloe had been living in Metropolis till she was like, 10-12…the meteor shower only hit Smallville, right? So how come her mum got meteor rock in her bloodstream? As far as I can see, her mum has only ever lived in Metropolis. I can get why Chloe somehow got meteor infected, coming close many times to other meteor infected people, but it doesn't make sense with her mum. Up till now, we hadn't known the full details of why her mum ended up in a mental institution, but the explanation we are given is just dumb.

Lex is definitely fully evil now. Using her mum's powers…the way he spoke to Chloe at the Planet…Ugh. When Chloe tells Clark what he told her, Clark pretty much says it's war. So how come in the next episode, Clark and Lex explore how they drifted apart from being friends….don't get me wrong, it was definitely well overdue, but after all Lex has done this season so far already….

Anyways, I still very much liked the scenes with Chloe and her mum and will always cry at the scene at Oliver's apartment. The drugs Lex gave Moira only keeps her lucid for 24 hours a time, which means she's slipping back into a catatonic state and she refuses to let Chloe use the drug again. Poor Chloe loses her mum again. God that was so sad. It was sweet when Clark later told Chloe that he gave her the complete Chloe Sullivan bio when she was worried that her mum will never know the person that she's become. Awwwww.

Meanwhile, Lana ends up in hospital after one of the meteor freaks Moira controls to try and kill Lex attacks her, in which Clark saves her. She tells him that she lost the baby a few days after the wedding. Clark is honestly sorry, you could see the tears in his eyes for her. He asks what happened on the day of the wedding, why she had changed her mind. She just excuses it as wedding day jitters and tells him not to worry about her, that she'll get through this like she always does. This is actually one of the better Clana scenes of the season.

Later, she finally finds out that she wasn't really pregnant, the doctor tells Lana that they found synthetic hormones in her bloodstream and accuses her of faking a pregnancy and forcing her marriage to a billionaire. Poor Lana is upset and confused, insisting she saw the sonograms. The doctor realises his wrong accusation and explains that whoever those sonograms were, they weren't hers. Even though I always think that Lana got herself into this mess by getting involved with Lex in the first place, I guess she was just naive that Lex would never do something like that to her. Still, you have to feel sorry for her. Plus, this is a lesson she'll learn to never mistake again.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Nemesis

The long overdue episode exploring Lex and Clark's drifting friendship is actually pretty well written. Lex has plans to build a water purification system deep underground. Whilst in the tunnels with Lionel, they come across someone welding, who turns out to be a woman named Jodi Keenan, and wants Lex. Lionel spots a bomb in a corner of the ceiling but it is set off before he could do anything. The explosion blocks the tunnel and Jodi kidnaps Lex and takes him deeper into the tunnel. She has rigged the whole underground maze with bombs, and threatens to set them off unless he tells her where her husband, Wes Keenan, is. They were both Green Berets, but she was discharged for behaviour problems. She received word that her husband died in a helicopter crash, but refuses to believe it, believing the Luthorcorp has her husband. Lex denies it and just tells her he died from multiple injuries from which Luthorcorp tried to save him.

Lionel is found alive and taken to hospital where Clark and Martha arrive. Lionel tells Clark that the tunnels are too complicated and full of debris for a rescue team to find Lex and asks him to go Lex himself. So of course, Clark would be conflicted. Should he save Lex after all that Lex has done? Quite rightly, Chloe doesn't care if Lex is rescued or not, but also knows Clark doesn't get to choose who he saves. So Clark finds a way in the tunnels, but gets knocked unconscious as another small blast is set off, with debris full of meteor rock. He later regains consciousness and finds Lex and helps him up. Lex is surprised to see Clark badly injured and covered in blood, as he knows that chisel he stabbed him with bent. I don't recall Lex noticing that, I thought only Lana saw that. This episode explores the Clark/Lex dynamic well and I actually got a lot more out of Lex's motivations and why he is who he is. When he saves Clark trapped in rubble, Clark saw someone he hadn't seen in years, his friend. Clark wonders if it is partly his fault that Lex is who he is - that he gave up on him too quickly. Lex says that Clark has been hiding secrets from him since they met. But Clark kept his secret from everyone for ages….I guess there were different reasons for this though. He couldn't tell Pete, Chloe or Lana for fear of putting them in harms way. He didn't tell Lex because Lex is a Luthor, no matter how good friends they were, Clark couldn't trust him. Jonathan wouldn't have allowed Clark to tell Lex anyway. But then it also has to go back to Lana. Clark admits to Lex that Lana told him on their wedding day that she was going to leave him and wants to know how Lex forced her to marry him. I just hate that part of their dwindling friendship is due to this triangle with Lana. Ugh.

This is actually a harder episode to review 'cause it has a lot of stuff worth talking about even though it has a lot of Clexana stuff that has been this set up the whole season. I don't want it to be too long winded, but I will mention that scene where Lana threatens to kill Lionel in his hospital bed if he doesn't tell her why he forced her to marry Lex by threatening to kill Clark. I like how Lionel later says that she's finally embracing what it means to be a Luthor. Nah, she's just been living with Lex for far too long, that's all. It's understandable that she would become darker in character after what Lex put her through. But then, like I said, it was her choice to get together with him in the first place! Yes, Clark broke her heart by telling her he didn't love her, way back in Reckoning, but he didn't push her there. So Lana puts on a brave pretence to Lex, letting on nothing that she knows about the fake pregnancy.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Probably my best episode of Season 6, I recently re-watched that episode with someone on tumblr and I mentioned how the episode frustrate me because if Lana wasn't in the middle, I felt that Lex and Clark relationship could have gotten repaired.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

It could have...it would have been interesting to see how the writers would work it out in the end, I mean, it would have been weird to see Clark become Superman and not see him and Lex become enemies.

Noir

Another hugely entertaining episode. Actually one of my favourites of the season. Loved all the Chimmy in this episode. Jimmy surprises Chloe with a movie night at the Planet as Chloe has to work late, and puts an old black & white film on, The Big Sleep, which he seems to know word for word. They suddenly hear a shot and find Lana lying in a pool of blood in the elevator. Once again Lana ends up in hospital. I think she has been in hospital more this season than the rest of the show put together. Good grief. I guess that's what you get for being intimately trapped in a web with the Luthors. Clark arrives, as does Lex, both concerned. Lionel whispers to Lana that he's sorry that she got caught up in all this and promises to catch her attacker. He spots Jimmy taking photos of him, unimpressed. Jimmy takes photos of everything at the crime scene including stuff that had fallen out of Lana's handbag. Lois is also there getting the scoop for the Inquisitor, and sneakily picks up one of the items, which Lionel also sees. Clark blames himself for what happened, saying he should have kept a closer eye on things and is determined to catch Lana's attacker. Chloe promises to see if she can track the attacker down and gets Jimmy to print off the photos of the assailant he took on his phone when they saw a shadow running off after the shooting. As Jimmy looks at all the pictures he took, back in the 'cinema' room, where the film is still playing, he gets knocked in the head and is suddenly transported to 1940's Metropolis in his subconscious. Technically, this portion of the episode makes no sense, but it does tie the up with the main plot of the episode. Plus, it is extremely entertaining, not to mention a refreshing change from what we've had from S6 so far. So Jimmy is Daily Planet's star reporter, Chloe is his assistant, Clark is the bumbling and bespectacled new reporter, but also doubles as suave cop (and regrets falling in love with Lana the manipulator ), Lana is the dark horse desperately trying to get away from a suffocating marriage with Lex Luthor, Lionel is a bartender at the Talon club and Lois is the star lounge singer there (who Lex has an affair with). What a wonderful imagination Jimmy has. That's pretty much the gist of it, all I wanna say is that Tom was even more so exceptionally hot in this episode.

One thing I didn't know that it was actually Erica singing in the club scene, much like Teri Hatcher did when Lois went undercover as a lounge singer for a story in Lois & Clark.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I liked your review to the episode because Noir was not one of my favorite episodes although Clark saving Chloe life. That scene was awesome.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Yeah, I loved that scene too. I think the reason I liked Noir was because it was different and had all the characters have different roles which was fun to watch.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Addicted Fan

I really need to rewatch some of these episodes, my memory is vague
Becwelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becwelling (View Post)
I really need to rewatch some of these episodes, my memory is vague
With some episodes I feel that way.
Most of the time with SV I think I remember though.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Prototype

Lex is now officially everyone's least favourite person, yay! Kinda sad at the same time though. But it was inevitable. His project Ares experiments on people, specifically on military personnel, making them into 'super soldiers' with DNA from various meteor freaks is obviously going to make him very unpopular. Which brings us back to Nemesis, in which Jodi Keenan was threatening Lex to know where her husband, Wes Keenan is. The current US Senator Burke had a deal with Lex, he'd provide the necessary ingredients for the project and in return receive millions of dollars in his account. Lana listens in on their conversation, but little does she know that Lex knew she was listening. Senator Burke decides project Ares is no longer a profitable project and threatens to shut it down. But Lex just uses his human-machine toy, Wes, to kill him. Lois is witness, as she attempts to question Burke about how he suddenly has millions of $. She recognises Wes, as they used to be very close when they were younger. I liked how Lois manages to briefly bring Wes back to human, her story of when they met and how he got his scar jogged his memory. Sadly, it couldn't last long as Lex's people were attempting to regain control of Wes. Lois is almost strangled to death when Clark arrives. It was so sad, after Clark stops him with his heat vision, and Lois regains consciousness to find Wes dying.

Lionel sure has a nerve after Clark told him that the gloves will come off if he finds out that he had anything to do with Lana marrying Lex, as he arrives at the Kent farm offering Martha the chance to replace Burke in the US Senate Seat. Clark just looks at Lionel and then to his mum, and tells her she should do it. I loved that part of the scene. It was so sweet and heartfelt, and sad at the same time since we won't get to see Martha again till S9. But still, it was a great idea to have Martha become Senator.

I liked that little moment with Martha and Chloe when Clark speeds off to find Lois, Chloe asks "do you ever get used to that?" Martha: "Not really."
Old 01-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I can see how know noone can get use to Clark always speeding off.
I was never happy with Martha leaving the show.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Yeah, Martha leaving was sad.

Phantom

Like all other season finales, there's a lot going on and this one is no exception. I forgot how good it was, though it's not one of my favourites. One of the reasons being is that parts of it are pretty gory. There's a lot of blood, what with the Phantom possessing and ripping out the organs of people looking for a Kryptonian to inhabit is GROSS. Then there's poor Lois getting stabbed as she sneaks into Lex's project Ares lair at Reeves Dam (having discovered the numbers Wes kept saying were map coordinates). So yeah….this episode is quite brutal. I find the beginning with Martha about to leave for Washington to start her job as the US Senator to have been totally wrongly placed. It felt rather anti climatic….though it was really heartfelt and sweet, Martha saying goodbye to her son. Even though we know Clark could pretty much go visit her anytime he wants. I'm pretty sure he must have done so off screen at least a few times throughout S7-8. I liked how she tells him that just because she's leaving, he doesn't have to stay at the farm. Hint, hint, Clark!

So Lana is finally leaving Lex, now that she has given Lionel all the information he needs. She tells Clark, who is quietly ecstatic, but she tells him she has to leave Smallville as Lex will be very angry when he finds out. Clark tells her he can protect her, but Lana says not this time. As she starts to leave, Clark super speeds in front of her and finally tells her everything about himself. She tells him she knew about his powers but is quite surprised to hear he's from another planet. She kisses him. And so the Clana drama turns full circle once more. Lana tells Clark that Lionel had threatened to kill him if she didn't marry Lex. She left out the part about actually having to spy on Lex for him. I wonder why. Lana goes back to the Mansion and to confront Lex about everything she knows and that she's leaving him. Was that really a good idea... Clark tells Chloe the news, who pretends to be happy for him. You could tell by the look on her face that she still loves Clark here.

I think the best part of the episode for me, is when Clark goes to find Lionel, super angry, and nearly kills him as Lionel tries to explain the real reason he got Lana to marry Lex. The Martian Manhunter returns to stop Clark, and it's explained that Lionel knew that Lex was hunting the last Phantom wraith and had been helping him find him. It's just been so confusing having Lionel come from being the most hated man, evil corporate multibillionaire business man, to good, to bad again, to good and being Jor El's vessel. Lana is on the phone with Lionel, telling him that she is leaving Smallville and never coming back. Lionel asks her to wait before doing anything, but Lana replies that it's too late because Lex hit her. Lana runs towards her car as Lionel's vehicle pulls up. Lana then enters her car as a postal truck drives by obscuring Lana's car from view. After the truck passes, the car explodes, knocking Lionel to the ground. I think it's quite obvious here that Lana faked her own death, so I could have sworn that Lionel knew this, but why would he tell Clark she's dead? To help him finally get over her?

The other favourite part of this episode is when Chloe finds Lois at Reeves Dam, pretty much dead and covered in blood. This was such a sad scene with Chloe, begging Lois to wake up. Crying, a shining tear falls on Lois's forehead. Lois wakes up to find Chloe now unconscious. So we now have Chloe's meteor power out, she can save lives, but at the expense of her own.

Lex, and his two assistants are in the laboratory of the dam observing the captured phantom in a boy's form. They take a blood sample to confirm that the phantom is inhabiting the boy, but shortly after the sample is taken, the boy breaks out of the detainment room. Lex pushes the doctor into the path of the wraith and leaves him behind to be killed so he can buy more time to escape. Just one man for himself, huh, Lex. When Lex is nearing the exit, he is blindsided by Clark who is furious over Lana's death. He grabs Lex and demands to know why he did it. Lex claims he doesn't know what Clark is talking about. Clark tells him what happened to Lana insinuating that it was orchestrated by Lex. When the boy appears at the end of the hall, Lex says it will kill them both. Clark lets him go and Lex runs away. Lex tries to escape but his car is stopped on the dam by the police. They order him out of the vehicle and arrest him for the murder of Lana Luthor. Exactly who called the cops on him?! I never quite got that...

Inside the dam, the wraith leaves the boy's body. Clark uses the Crystal of El on it, but it doesn't work. It charges, shattering the crystal, and hits Clark head-on. Clark is knocked through several walls and is stunned. When he recovers, he finds an exact replica of himself, Bizarro. Clark and Bizarro have an intense brawl that shakes the structure. The damage to the dam destroys a large water pipe and starts to flood the facility. Lionel arrives just in time to use green kryptonite on Bizarro. Duh, Lionel, he's bound to be the opposite to Clark and so green K would only make him stronger, not weak. Not one of Lionel's smartest moments. I guess he wasn't to know. Clark and Bizarro super-speed towards each other. The whole dam rumbles as Clark is thrown out of the side and Bizarro flies after him. In flight, Bizarro's face transforms into a chalk-white, steel-like visage. I loved that ending. My third favourite part of this episode. Two Tom's.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You're reviews are always on point!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Thank you.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top