Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Absolute Fan

The Zeppo is peak Xander. "I like the quiet."

I am laughing at this post so hard. WHAT IS THIS?

we're all stories in the end

Icon: cangelgifs.tumblr.com
Old 12-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

That's an interesting meme

I think the first one is the best
Old 12-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

They all look pretty funny.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 12-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
theseniorpartners:

hey remember that time in Once More With Feeling when Xander summoned the demon and indirectly caused the death of at least one civilian and almost Buffy and nearly got Dawn sent to hell?

and how he pretended he knew nothing about it in I’ve Got a Theory and yelled at Giles telling him to solve it in the scene after I’ll Never Tell even though he knew he’d summoned it, and nobody got mad at him at all?

luscious2:

It was the worst plot device ever. That’s the one part of this episode that sucked and didn’t make much sense. Not because Xander summoned Sweet, but because it was so out of the blue with no building up to it. No clues or hints. As you said, Xander didn’t even sing about it in I’ll Never Tell and you’re supposed to pour your heart out when singing. He can’t just “pretend” or “stop himself” from singing the truth. It just comes out in spite of him.

Not to mention it didn’t serve to develop Xander’s character any further. It was just put there for the stupid unfunny “Queen” joke. That’s it. Joss and the writers didn’t take it seriously and didn’t care at all when they chose Xander to summon Sweet.

Sometimes I just hate Joss.

gallows-place:

It really was just a quick-out for the episode. “Oh, yeah, Xander did it, lol”

A horrible flaw in an otherwise great ep. I mean, he could have at least built up to it.

luscious2:

The Xander summoning Sweet issue. A large part of fandom saw it as out of character and they’re about three groups.

Group 1 thinks that it’s unlikely for Xander to cast a spell irresponsibly after what had happened in Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered, because he had told Willow in Lover’s Walk that he had learned from that lesson and he would never get involved with casting unsupervised magic.

Group 2 thinks that it is likely for Xander to make the same mistake, because after all, lots of humans do make the same mistake twice even after they had learned from the first one, it’s real life. But, what’s un-Xander-like is that he hadn’t confessed to doing the spell after he had learned about people combusting into flames because of it.

Group 3 thinks that Joss didn’t care much for characterization and continuity and he had only chose Xander to do the spell so we could have the “Do I have to be your queen?” joke.

Personally, I think group 3 nailed it. But, because we accept BtVS with all its flaws, I think the reason Giles didn’t yell at Xander and Xander not showing remorse at this time is because they were too shocked with the revelation that Buffy had been in heaven. I think Xander’s guilt of pulling Buffy out of heaven overpowered the guilt of causing people to die from his spell at that moment. Now, I don’t have a logical explanation to why Xander hadn’t confessed earlier about doing the spell to Giles when things went out of hand (like he had done in BB&B). Story-wise, they can’t have that because it’ll ruin the “mystery”, but character-wise… no explanation comes to my mind.
The Senior Partners
Good conversation about the only flaw in OMWF.

Icon: cangelgifs.tumblr.com
Old 12-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for sharing.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 12-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Love seeing some Xander defense, & I think they've got it right there. The writers didn't really think about the backstory all that much, they wanted a singing & dancing episode & then at the end needed an explanation 'oh yeah, Xander did it' & then the queen joke.

I've seen people complain about how Xander gets away with a lot & I think they don't realize it's because the writers stopped caring about his character. They don't want to give up screen time exploring his emotional responses to a situation i.e. the musical thing, of course he would have felt guilty - that wasn't explored because the writers wanted to give him a pass, it's because they simply couldn't be bothered & it didn't matter to them.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^I agree!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

I thought Joss Whedon said he was kinda like Xander when he went to highschool. Is that true?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^I think so, but I'm not 100% sure
Old 01-22-2018, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 01-22-2018, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Cute picture, great to see him so happy

Joss had said that, but I don't think it's meant as literally as some people take it. I think Xander was meant to be that normal character, the one that never had any powers to change him, he just had to by while being a normal guy.

I've seen some people say that Xander was Joss's self-insert, which I don't agree with at all. I think if that were true, Xander/Buffy would have happened & Xander would have somehow become a really powerful fighter
Old 01-24-2018, 06:09 AM
Fan Forum Star

Not much actors would buy a small figure version of themselves but he did and it´s cool.

Oh and: Quote: "Xander is based in part on Whedon himself, particularly in his high school years; as such, he is often the most geeky as well as witty and verbose of Buffy's characters." quote end. source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xander_Harris
Old 02-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I don't disagree with that, but there's a difference between JW basing Xander on the teen version of himself, & using him as a self-insert
Old 05-23-2018, 03:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

look closer

Old 05-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Haha Loved that scene
Closed Thread   Post New Thread