Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Season Two Discussion #2

Hello guys, Thought I would start a discussion on Season Two. If you wish to still discuss Season One please feel free of course.

Since there were 22 episodes in Season Two, I will forgo listing them and will just give highlights:

We see more of Oz who is revealed to be a werewolf.

We are introduced to Spike and Drusilla both of whom were supposed to be temporary but stayed longer which is good since they were fascinating characters. Spike brags on killing two Slayers and that one of them begged for her life. We know now that it was a lie on his part. I am sure Spike got an applause when he dusted the Anointed One. I enjoyed that scene.

Biggest surprise was the introduction of Kendra the Vampire Slayer which we can understand Buffy's shock since he had just gotten into her role as the only Slayer. It also does not say much about the Watcher's Council since they did not bother to inform Giles that there was another Slayer.

Kendra was an interesting character and how she and Buffy were different. Kendra went by the book whereas Buffy adapted with the situation. I realize that Kendra's introduction was supposed to be a shock but for her Watcher to send her to the United States alone (assuming this was her first visit to the US) and her being in the cargo hold must have been uncomfortable. And again Giles not being informed was bad. We did hear about a Slayer Handbook which Buffy did not have probably because she was not trained as a Potential and Giles possibly did not think it was useful for her as he said.

I loved Kendra and was sorry to see her killed off later on and so easily especially since she gave Buffy and Angel quite a fight. I can understand her thinking that Buffy was a vampire after seeing her kissing Angel who was in vamp face when he was kissing Buffy. It was her trying to kiss her with an ax that got me but if she came at Buffy with a stake, there would hardly be a fight. Finally I realize that there had to be drama and shock when Buffy meets Kendra but as Slayers, shouldn't they get a sense of each other? I am not making sense but some feeling of kinship.

Giles and Jenny's relationship grows as does Buffy and Angel's both ending with the death of one of the parties.

Angel and Buffy finally give into to their feelings and have a wonder night which causes unknown to them Angel's soul to disappear and he becomes Angelous. We certainly see that Angelous is as evil and cruel as Angel is decent. Angelous uses the fact that Buffy loves Angel to push her buttons knowing that Buffy would never take him out. And for a while he was right.

We see for the first of several times Spike and Buffy working together. Here its to stop Angelous from destroying humanity. We also see Buffy finally forcing herself to do what she has to do which is to take Angelous out and of course we see Xander's lie to Buffy that Willow's message to Buffy is to "kick his ass" which we know she did not say and is not mentioned until Season 7.

Giles and Jenny's relationship has its ups and downs as well. After its realized that Jenny was a part of the Gypsy cult that cursed Angel to begin with. Giles and Buffy are correctly angry at her deception. Giles and Jenny eventually get back together and to make amends to him and Buffy, she tries to get a spell together to put Angelous's soul back and bring back Angel which Drusilla figures out in her visions and Angelous kills Jenny and as an act of cruelty, places her in Giles apartment. Giles understandably, tries to kill Angelous and it looks like he might succeed but Angelous' gains the upper hand and as he is about to harm him, Buffy comes and saves him from death.

There was a debate as to whether Buffy can be blamed for Jenny's death since she had not killed Angelous earlier. Not sure about this myself. I agree that she should have but I can understand her not having the strength to kill the man she loved.

Finally, this discussion on Season Two would not be complete without the mention of the Fourth Big Bad of the season The Judge. I believe he destroys humanity in a person by touching if their is any. If they do, the person dies, if not nothing happens. No weapon forged by man has been able to destroy him and it took an entire army to do so. Buffy chose to use a recent weapon to destroy him. A rocket launcher which was a great idea.

And of course, Buffy finally explaining to Joyce about Buffy's job as the Slayer and Joyce's response to it. Joyce probably figured something was going on with Buffy with strange things going on like finding blood on Buffy's clothes. I can understand Joyce wanting Buffy to stay and being angry at her for leaving anyway but did you guys think that she was right or overreacted to telling Buffy not to come back?

Before I forget, what were your favorite episodes:

Since I liked most of Season Two, the best for me were:

School Hard (we meet Spike & Dru; Spike dusts the Anointed One)

What's My Line Parts I & II (Kendra is introduced)

Ted (I liked John Ritter)

Surprise (Buffy & Angel get intimate and he turns into Angelous)

Innocence (Angel is gone Angelous is here and Buffy destroys the Judge with rocket launcher)

Passion (Jenny tries to restore Angel's soul but is killed by Angelous)

Becoming Part I & II (Kendra is killed; Angelous is finally killed by Buffy)

You're not my employee. You're my P A R T N E R.
How do I look? | Like a HERO
~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Burning Up A Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread
Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Welcome.

You know what episode I really liked in S2 and I don't know why? Killed by Death.

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't like that episode
Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I've always like that episode. I don't know why but it's like one of the only S2 episodes I remember clearly besides School Hard and the finale.

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The monster was really gross looking
Old 06-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Elite Fan

I love Killed By Death. I don't know why most fans dislike it. It's actually one of my favorites in the series.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 AM
New Fan

i loved that episode, mostly because i love all the character interaction in it, and i just love angelous
whedonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It was a standalone episode in a season full of standalone episode I wasn't a fan of the story that week or Buffy being in the hospital. Angelus and Cordy are the most memorable parts for me.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I actually really liked the story. And the monster was so creepy looking.

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Old 06-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywiccan (View Post)
I love Killed By Death. I don't know why most fans dislike it. It's actually one of my favorites in the series.
I liked the episode too, the monster was scary!
Passion, it lies in all of us. It speaks to us, guides us. Passion rules us all, and we obey. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace but we would be hollow. Without passion we'd be truly dead.
Barbara
icon by pinkpaisley_art
bh11000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked that we got to know more about Buffy's past and her fears.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like that too. The only other fear we saw was... her becoming a vampire? Did we see anything else?

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Old 06-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't believe so...
Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wasn't Fear, Itself an episode where they kind of see their fears?

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Reply   Post New Thread