Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 02:26 AM
Ultimate Fan

I understand what you are saying. Even though the ratings are doing well, the WB still expects the lead in of Smallville to improve the ratings higher. But then again, the ratings are a lot better than last year, so it depends on how you like at it. The Buffy appearances should help. Zap2it reported that Joss is not 'banking' on Sarah guest starring. After TV Guide had reported at least three different times, I cannot believe this. I mean, they had statements from Joss, I believe, and now this. At least we know for sure Alyson Hannigan is set to guest star.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Passionate Fan

The problem is that the WB moved "Smallville" from Tuesday night and paired it with "Angel" because they were looking for a strong Wednesday night lineup. The fact that "Angel" is doing better than last year certainly doesn't hurt, but 2 weeks ago it was holding over 80% of the "Smallville" lead-in and now it's down to 70%. That is not a happy sign.

It's kind of ironic. Last year, AtS was scoring a full point lower in the ratings, but the WB was happy because it was getting no help from the 8 o'clock hour. Now it has a strong lead-in and they're nervous. Good thing they already exercised the 22 week option, so we know we'll get a full season. I just don't want them to start moving it around because that won't help the ratings at all.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

I'm just glad they are doing even better this season (probably thanks to a lot of the 'Buffy' fans) and I'm sincerely wishing for a Season 6!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Addicted Fan

i still think its great we didi better than last week. and besides i mean the game was on last night also. i htink once the game is over the ratings will pick up.

but then we have to deal with the O.C coming back on. whihc is a very big show

Bhery
Old 10-24-2003, 05:31 PM
Obsessed Fan

does anyone know what the ratings were last year?It would be intresting to compare. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] What were buffy's??

avie by Mel X
Old 10-24-2003, 05:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The ratings are better than last season but the ratings are dropping a little bit every episode. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

The beautiful, Shiri Appleby.
Icon - evangelin
Old 10-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

i know.It's sad but maybe with guest appearances of buffy characters ratings will go up. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

avie by Mel X
Old 10-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Miranda Leigh:
<STRONG>The ratings are better than last season but the ratings are dropping a little bit every episode. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Are they? It seems to be going /\/\/\/\/\/\ &lt;-----like that in a way. Especialy since we had that damn World Series or Game or whatever. Don't they know not to put on a stupid game during Angel? The bastards!

[ 10-24-2003: Message edited Nirvana1 ]
Old 10-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Passionate Fan

I doubt it's any coincidence that the two highest-rated episodes were the two Spike-centric ones. Hopefully next week we'll see a continued improvement.

Counting on guest stars to pick up the ratings is risky. The three eps last year that brought Faith back did all right, but the WB didn't renew the show until the last 3-4 episodes of the season turned in strong numbers.

If Willow or Buffy show up for a couple of episodes and the ratings go up, and then drop after they leave, the WB might decide that the show isn't strong enough to survive. You can't expect BtVS guest returnees to carry the show.

I can't comment on the O.C. because I watched a couple of episodes last year and I don't get why anyone would waste their time watching it.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:33 PM
Elite Fan

Ok. If I were the Frogg I'be really happy with these ratings and I'll tell you why:

1. First or all: Ats is a cult show, it's not a powerhouse like BTVS was(at least the first 4 years); thus indicating that if ratings are better that means they're doing something good because you know everybody watches something else already!

2. New shows are risky. Look at FOX with "Skin"... The show did horrible and IS horrible(sorry to those who liked it). Hype doesn't translate into big ratings, yet, Ats is doing great considering it doesn't have the hype and it doesn't have the "star power" that other shows have.

3. Ats is an established show with well known names, people know its there and it has a *strong* fan base that will watch no matter what. Now even more with Spike/BTVS fans joining!

4. If they want a sci fi spark amongst their midst other than Smallville they better stay with an established show because sci fi/fantasy shows go through hell to get the ratings Ats currently enjoys. Greenwalt should know. His ABC show "Miracles" was excellent, had movie star actors and it still flopped.

5. Their audience is young, the show should stay young enough for them to relate to. Still, it doesn't have to be teenage young like other WB shows. What present show has an audience that has grown up along with the series?? Not many! So they can go a little darker w/o serious backlash because their audience can take it and probably will appreciate very much!

I may be wrong on some stuff but it is how I feel at least right now. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

PS: I'd love those ratings to get higher and higher, its my dream so we all will just keep on holding on!
Old 10-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Loyal Fan

I am confused. I can't get a straight awnser...did the ratings for episode 4 go up since episode 3, stay the same, or go down because of the damn game and the disclaimer?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Addicted Fan

the rating for htis week went up since last week.

last week was 4.2/6
this week was 4.4/6

i stil hope that it was only cuz of the game and that the show will pick up. But still the WB shouldnt be to picky.

rockstar- ITA with everything u said!

Bhery
Old 10-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Spike is exactly what the show needed.
You are so right! I think it couldn't get any better than this! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Passionate Fan

ROCKSTAR

Everything you say is valid. I don't think there's any risk of AtS being cancelled, especially with the Frog having ordered 22 episodes, unless the ratings go way down.

The problem, in my mind, is that the WB was trying to build a lineup on Wednesday night. "Smallville"'s ratings are down considerably from last year. Even though AtS has gone up, if it doesn't keep the lead-in audience then the WB may decide to rethink the Wednesday night lineup. If they decide to move "Smallville", they may put it back at 9 o'clock (it was a 9 pm show last year) and bump AtS to another night. AtS is being helped by having one of the network's higher-rated shows as its lead-in. If they send it to another night, who knows what might happen to the numbers.

It's not time to panic, but people should understand that "Smallville"'s ratings and the lead-in numbers are just as important as AtS' individual rating when you try to figure out how the show is doing. Because those things are important to the network.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Elite Fan

Exactly! I'm diving into unknown waters so bear with me.

I think Smallville is losing numbers because first of all the series was supposed to have one sole season of pure knockout episodes but it came back.. Now it's back again, I've never watched it but maybe stretching the storyline is making it lose grip on people.

Ats has to battle back like its doing and try to get those Smallville viewers before they stop watching Smallville!

Guest appearances by the BTVS cast would be nice for the fans and for ratings but we need the solid, core cast to have the same excitement factor by themselves or we'd be watching a haunted show, hauted by the ghosts of characters that aren't there. We don't need that.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But its def not panic time like you said. Its sit back and enjoy the show time.

[ 10-24-2003: Message edited ROCKSTAR ]