Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I just rewatched today the episode of Buffy where Angel offers her the claddagh ring...except the fact I am not a Bangel Fan I have to say it seems to me that Buffy didn't deserved this ring. I mean we all know that Claddagh ring symbolize love, friendship and loyalty an in my opinion Cordy deserved more this ring than Buffy
I understand Angel giving it to Buffy in S2 because she was the first girl he ever loved, and Angel didn't know Cordy well then at all.

Plus, CA acted totally married even without a ring. They didn't need a Claddagh to give off big married couple energy.

Quote:
I wonder whatever happened to that ring? Does Buffy still have it even in the comics? Or did she pawn it off when she got with Spike?
The last I remember seeing it is in BTVS Season 3. Buffy leaves it at Angel's mason as a way to say goodbye to him in the end of 'Faith, Hope, & Trick'. But then Angel is brought back from the first.

Quote:
A moment later a bright beam of light illuminates the ring on the floor.
It gets more and more intense, and the ring begins to vibrate, clinking
madly against the marble. Suddenly the room is awash with a blindingly
bright white light emanating from a dimensional portal opening above the
ring. A body falls through and hits the stone floor hard. The light
fades as the portal closes, and a naked man is left lying there. He is
unsteady as he tries to get up, but he is too weak to do more than lift
his face. It is Angel, looking very dazed. His breathing is shallow and
labored, and he shivers violently as he looks up at the room around him.
Maybe the ring was destroyed by the magic force used to bring him back? He was feral at the time, so I don't see him picking it up. Buffy could've noticed it later and picked it up again, but Who knows.

I can't remember if we ever see him wearing it again or if it appeared on ATS.

Quote:
He, unfortunately, gets cut off by the rest of the gang shoving their gifts at her and then her coma but there is no way in hell the end of that sentence wasn't going to be "the mother of my child".
That indicates he put some real thought into that gift.
Head canon accepted. I'd die via swooning if he gave her a piece of family jewelry.

Icon: cangelgifs.tumblr.com
Old 10-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by straws (View Post)
I understand Angel giving it to Buffy in S2 because she was the first girl he ever loved, and Angel didn't know Cordy well then at all.

Plus, CA acted totally married even without a ring. They didn't need a Claddagh to give off big married couple energy.

So true. Screw Beyonce. (For clarification, I am referencing her song 'Single Ladies' the main lyric of which is "If you like than you'd better put a ring on it").

BAers will argue until the sun comes up that it's the symbols such as the ring or the curse-breaking sex that make BA the stronger relationship but CA's natural connection is where their strength is.

Quote:
The last I remember seeing it is in BTVS Season 3. Buffy leaves it at Angel's mason as a way to say goodbye to him in the end of 'Faith, Hope, & Trick'. But then Angel is brought back from the first.

Quote:
A moment later a bright beam of light illuminates the ring on the floor.
It gets more and more intense, and the ring begins to vibrate, clinking
madly against the marble. Suddenly the room is awash with a blindingly
bright white light emanating from a dimensional portal opening above the
ring. A body falls through and hits the stone floor hard. The light
fades as the portal closes, and a naked man is left lying there. He is
unsteady as he tries to get up, but he is too weak to do more than lift
his face. It is Angel, looking very dazed. His breathing is shallow and
labored, and he shivers violently as he looks up at the room around him.
Maybe the ring was destroyed by the magic force used to bring him back? He was feral at the time, so I don't see him picking it up. Buffy could've noticed it later and picked it up again, but Who knows.

I can't remember if we ever see him wearing it again or if it appeared on ATS.
I did not remember that at all, that Buffy (essentially, in this case) returned the ring to Angel or that it was a part of that scene.
That it was destroyed by the magic that opened the portal and dropped him out or just got lost in the mansion somewhere because as you've pointed out he wouldn't have noticed it in his feral state and it had gotten knocked around a bit makes the most sense to me.

I'm pretty sure the only ring in the entire duration of AtS was the Ring of Amora in 'In the Dark' (which I feel like he regretted destroying in that horrible 'Couplet' moment when he had to let Groo be the hero due to daylight).

Quote:
Head canon accepted. I'd die via swooning if he gave her a piece of family jewelry.
I know right?! Me too!

they win"
- Stephen King

Last edited by Ashes Fall; 10-20-2019 at 08:59 PM
Old 10-21-2019, 08:41 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
BAers will argue until the sun comes up that it's the symbols such as the ring or the curse-breaking sex that make BA the stronger relationship but CA's natural connection is where their strength is.
I feel like Angel handled losing Cordy worse than he handled his break up with Buffy and Buffy's death. In Heartthrob he's basically broken up that he's not more broken up about it. He feels loss but he knows he'll be okay (and says as much.)

After Jasmindelia and losing Cordy, Angel was never the same. He started going down a dark path at W&H and was visibly struggling/not the same man. He even confesses it when he says "I am lost without you."

If Cordy had truly woken from his coma, I don't think Angel would've been so quick to launch his suicide mission against W&H. (As much as I love NFA and think it's the perfect ending for the show.)

cordelia + angel appreciation week
day 5: most heartbreaking moment
I can’t stay
https://angelinvestigations.tumblr.c...l-appreciation

Old 10-21-2019, 11:25 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I feel like Angel handled losing Cordy worse than he handled his break up with Buffy and Buffy's death. In Heartthrob he's basically broken up that he's not more broken up about it. He feels loss but he knows he'll be okay (and says as much.)

After Jasmindelia and losing Cordy, Angel was never the same. He started going down a dark path at W&H and was visibly struggling/not the same man. He even confesses it when he says "I am lost without you."
He essentially confesses it in 'The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco' as well when he tells Gunn that he felt a disconnect from being the champion.
No, Cordy's name does not come up (it barely does all season), but she was his connection.

The James foreshadow in 'Heartthrob' of season 5, of Cordy's coma/death while no doubt unintentional was brilliant!

"You loved someone? With all your heart?"
"Yeah"
"No you didn't. Because if you had, you wouldn't be standing here playing games with me. You wouldn't be able to. Because when she died...when some bastard killed her, it would have killed everything in you."
"I wouldn't be able to go on living."

Quote:
If Cordy had truly woken from his coma, I don't think Angel would've been so quick to launch his suicide mission against W&H. (As much as I love NFA and think it's the perfect ending for the show.)
He wouldn't have done a lot of things such as give the infant over to the Fell, despite intending a later rescue the entire time.
If she hadn't been in the coma in the first place there is no way in Hell, they'd have even touched the W&H jobs. If Angel had even considered it she'd would have smote him!

Quote:

cordelia + angel appreciation week
day 5: most heartbreaking moment
I can’t stay
https://angelinvestigations.tumblr.c...l-appreciation
I love how when she comes back for that kiss, his face lights up as though he's hoping she changed her mind and is staying.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
He essentially confesses it in 'The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco' as well when he tells Gunn that he felt a disconnect from being the champion.
No, Cordy's name does not come up (it barely does all season), but she was his connection.
I don't remember that episode at all (I remember thinking it was a boring filler ep) Can you post what he says?

I agree that Cordy was his connection to the world.

Quote:
The James foreshadow in 'Heartthrob' of season 5, of Cordy's coma/death while no doubt unintentional was brilliant!
I didn't even think about how that foreshadowed him losing Cordy. Ouch.
Quote:
I love how when she comes back for that kiss, his face lights up as though he's hoping she changed her mind and is staying.
That moment always gets me too. You see the hope and happiness rise on his face as he thinks for a moment that everything is going to be okay.

I also think that Angel didn't truly think she was leaving/gone until the phone call. I don't doubt he would've kept tabs on her to make sure she was okay if she had woken from the coma and left. He probably also believed that she'd eventually return to him/the mission. But when he got the phone call he knew she was really and truly gone.

https://angelinvestigations.tumblr.com/post/35886279809

I wonder how/why they chose a cactus for her house warming gift and whose idea it was. Doyle was probably like 'we should get her something' and then they either grabbed a cactus because it was all they had on hand or they got it from a store thinking it was an amazing idea and just what Cordy would like.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I don't remember that episode at all (I remember thinking it was a boring filler ep) Can you post what he says?

I agree that Cordy was his connection to the world.
At least a fraction of season 5 were filler episodes; 'Life of the Party' and 'Why We Fight' are two others but this one stuck with me because it was one of those in which Cordelia references were glaringly missing ('Soul Purpose' is another, she needed to be a fever dream instead of the stupid one of him watching SB have sex).

Had it taken place after YW, there is a Dia De Los Muertos theme that could have been used to pay tribute to her memory.

Anyway here's the dialogue I was referring to:

GUNN
You OK?

ANGEL
Yeah. Fine. Like you said, not bad for a day's pay.

GUNN
I know you hate working here, what with the bureaucracy and the fact that most of our employees want us dead. But in-house attacks are down 30% this week. And we've done more good here in a month than Angel investigations did in a year.

ANGEL
I know, I'm just... I don't know, just feeling a bit...

SPIKE
Squishy?

ANGEL
Disconnected.

SPIKE
Are you serious? Here you are, finally living a piece of the high life�new clothes, new cars, my old tumble fetching you tasty snacks�and what's your gripe? "I feel disconnected." You want to feel disconnected, try being a bloody ghost for a bit. Try bobbin' around with no touch or taste or smell. Not many fates worse than that, I'd wager.
(the masked mailman walks into the office pushing his mail cart)
OK, maybe that.

GUNN
I know what you're saying about the disconnect. Much as I love the legalese, gotta admit, I miss mixing it up sometimes, you know? I miss getting my hands dirty.

No, Gunn, you really don't know and Spike, I'll grant the ghost thing but you're still a shallow, superficial idiot.

Quote:
That moment always gets me too. You see the hope and happiness rise on his face as he thinks for a moment that everything is going to be okay.
Even though she blatantly states: "one for the road" he can't help but still hope. So precious!

Quote:
I also think that Angel didn't truly think she was leaving/gone until the phone call. I don't doubt he would've kept tabs on her to make sure she was okay if she had woken from the coma and left. He probably also believed that she'd eventually return to him/the mission. But when he got the phone call he knew she was really and truly gone.
He most definitely did not and hell, neither did I. Or more like I knew but didn't fully believe it until that phone call.
In all honesty, her death was a relief to me as that whole thing where she appears to just be leaving pissed me off. I couldn't wrap my head around how she could just ditch him even though the whole Jasmine thing was hell for her.

Tidbits:
1. There was another ending that essentially cut the scene off at Cordelia's leaving the room. No kiss, no phone call and no indication of her death.
According to the Buffy and Angel Wikia this was a decoy to attempt to prevent the real ending from being leaked but it failed.
Personally I have to wonder if this was the version of the script CC was given to deceive her into signing on because she didn't find out that Cordy was being killed off until after she was signed on.

2. DB and CC were genuinely emotional in that last scene, at one point it got so overwhelming that they had to stop shooting.

https://buffy.fandom.com/wiki/You%27...ind_the_Scenes

Quote:

https://angelinvestigations.tumblr.com/post/35886279809

I wonder how/why they chose a cactus for her house warming gift and whose idea it was. Doyle was probably like 'we should get her something' and then they either grabbed a cactus because it was all they had on hand or they got it from a store thinking it was an amazing idea and just what Cordy would like.
I kinda get the feeling it was a statement because cactuses don't require much water and at least Angel knew Cordy, especially after having her as a house guest, to be yah know self-absorbed and neglectful.

It's understandable though. She grew up in a wealthy family who probably had housekeepers that did everything around the house.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 10-22-2019, 04:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I definitely agree they brought a cactus because it doesn't require much to survive.

Quote:

This is how I feel about it too.

That gif.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Extreme Fan

I love how proud Angel looks to have her on his arm in that GIF.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 10-23-2019, 01:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Their happiness together was so much .
Old 10-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Extreme Fan

On the subject of WITW, after Cordelia makes her grand entrance in her dress during the Angel/Lorne conversation and Angel shoves his eyes back into their sockets (lol), there is actually a small chunk of cut dialogue that totally gives off a parent date night vibe:

CORDELIA (cont'd)
Tonight we're just a couple of young sophisticates enjoying an evening of classical dance. How does that sound?

Angel cannot help but smile.

ANGEL
That sounds just right.

CORDELIA
How's our boy?

ANGEL
Fast asleep.

LORNE
And I'll make sure he stays that way. He so much as peeps, I'll chloroform him.

Angel and Cordy throw him a look.

LORNE (cont'd)
New parents. Never with the humor.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 10-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
At least a fraction of season 5 were filler episodes; 'Life of the Party' and 'Why We Fight' are two others but this one stuck with me because it was one of those in which Cordelia references were glaringly missing ('Soul Purpose' is another, she needed to be a fever dream instead of the stupid one of him watching SB have sex).
IDK which one had Angel and Spike on a boat but that one bored me to tears too.

Ugh, don't remind me that Cordy wasn't referenced in Soul Purpose. Even if he was repressing his pain and unable to think of her, there should've been some kind of symbolic hint or Cordy mention. But Joss was clearly doing his best to move away from CA and trying to invest BTVS viewers with an A/B/S triangle.

Quote:
I kinda get the feeling it was a statement because cactuses don't require much water and at least Angel knew Cordy, especially after having her as a house guest, to be yah know self-absorbed and neglectful.
I love that.

I also love Doyle maybe trying to get her a nicer, more high maintenance plant, and Angel being like "...this might be more her speed."

Phantom Dennis would totally water her plants for her though.

Quote:
LORNE (cont'd)
New parents. Never with the humor.
OMG Lorne straight up called Cordy Connor's mother.

Also:

Quote:
That sums up so much of their dynamic. That's kind of his default state around her.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
IDK which one had Angel and Spike on a boat but that one bored me to tears too.
That sounds vaguely familiar but I have no legit memory of it.
I hated Angel/Spike in season 5 period, how Spike was a sixth finger, a ****ing 5-year-old who brought insult to Cordy's comic relief role by regressing Angel to his level.

Quote:
Ugh, don't remind me that Cordy wasn't referenced in Soul Purpose. Even if he was repressing his pain and unable to think of her, there should've been some kind of symbolic hint or Cordy mention. But Joss was clearly doing his best to move away from CA and trying to invest BTVS viewers with an A/B/S triangle.

Don't get me started on the blatantly missing reference in 'Smile Time', when Welsey was giving his stupid speech to push Angel into going on a date with Nina. I have before actually but this time I don't feel like it.

Quote:
I love that.

I also love Doyle maybe trying to get her a nicer, more high maintenance plant, and Angel being like "...this might be more her speed."
Lol I could totally see that.
Angel: "Trust me, I know her."

Quote:
Phantom Dennis would totally water her plants for her though.
Totally but they wouldn't have known that at that point. They didn't even know Phantom Dennis.

Quote:
OMG Lorne straight up called Cordy Connor's mother.
So does Connor in ATF.
He gets flashbacks of his infancy with Angel and Cordy and when it turns into one of him screwing Jordy he goes:

"Aww come on! Fantastic, my first time was with my surrogate mother! Not only am I an immaculate vamp baby I'm also Oedepis!"

Quote:
Also:

Quote:
That sums up so much of their dynamic. That's kind of his default state around her.
*sigh*
His smiles were always just for Cordy.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 10-26-2019, 06:13 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
That sounds vaguely familiar but I have no legit memory of it.
I went and looked and it's Why We Fight. The submarine episode. Someh. Plus Spike looked awful with black hair (even though ironically James looks good with it).

Quote:
Don't get me started on the blatantly missing reference in 'Smile Time', when Welsey was giving his stupid speech to push Angel into going on a date with Nina. I have before actually but this time I don't feel like it.
LMAO Nina was such a boring and cardboard character. She made Riley look like the most interesting man in the world. I usually repress that she existed.

Quote:
Totally but they wouldn't have known that at that point. They didn't even know Phantom Dennis.
Now I'm imagining Phantom Dennis tending to a cute little vegetable garden for Cordy on her windowsill or something. I wish I had a ghost to help with chores.
Quote:
"Aww come on! Fantastic, my first time was with my surrogate mother! Not only am I an immaculate vamp baby I'm also Oedepis!"
You mentioned that before. Poor Connor.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I went and looked and it's Why We Fight. The submarine episode. Someh. Plus Spike looked awful with black hair (even though ironically James looks good with it).
Ah right, 'Why We Fight', one of the pointless fillers though granted Angel seemed to spend the entire present time of the episode up until Lawson shows up in a deep brood which I like to think was caused by Cordy's death.

Quote:
LMAO Nina was such a boring and cardboard character. She made Riley look like the most interesting man in the world. I usually repress that she existed.
Ugh, same.
Riley legit was a more developed character than Nina. Nina had absolutely NO background, all we learn about her is that she has a niece.

Quote:
Now I'm imagining Phantom Dennis tending to a cute little vegetable garden for Cordy on her windowsill or something. I wish I had a ghost to help with chores.
Poor Dennis.
As far as he is aware after Cordy left to meet Angel in 'Tomorrow' she just never returned.

Someone had to have cleaned out her apartment at least when she went into the coma, Angel might have found it too painful but I could see him not wanting anyone else to touch her things.
Would he have explained to Dennis what had happened?

We never know what became of him.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 10-27-2019, 07:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

That new parents comment was cute.