Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Jonathan Appreciation Thread: Because all he wanted was to be loved

I havent been able to find a thread to Short Rounds honour, so I decided to start one up.

I kind of like this sweet little guy, seeing how he goes from extra to a real character to a Big Bad. He's adoreable in either role. So, If anyone wants to appreciate him, I'm in

Last edited by Charmed Slayer Angel; 11-22-2014 at 07:06 PM
Old 12-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Master Fan

I also like him as well I personally don't really count him as a Big Bad, because he never wanted to hurt anyone. What happened to Katrina was a big wake up call for him, and you could see the change in him after that. I think he thought of the Trio as kind of like a club or something. He just wanted to be a part of it, he didn't know what he was getting into. I was so pissed off when Andrew killed him. I was a fan of Andrew until he killed Jonathan, then that ruined the character for me. It didn't seem like he was truly sorry for what he did. He just played off everything as a joke.

But anyways, yes I do love Jonathan as a character. "Don't touch my magic bone!"
Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Extreme Fan

This is an interesting thread. Obviously he's a likeable character...But how do you guys feel about his motivations in season 6? I mean, he did commit a lot of mayhem and mischief...But was actually working towards redemption in season 7, before Andrew killed him. Andrew may have been the one allowed to live, but I think ultimately Jonathan was the stronger one...Height differences aside

Angel: I love you.
Buffy: I love you.
Angel: Nothing can change that. Not even death.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think Jsebold is right. he didnt really want to hurt anyone. He just wanted what he always wanted - to have friends. To belong somewhere. But Joining the trio automatically makes him a Big Bad - although Warren was the only one of them who was bordering on evil.

I find his final speech before Andrew killed him very touching. I wonder what he would have done if he was allowed to live...

Quote:
It didn't seem like [Andrew] was truly sorry for what he did. He just played off everything as a joke.
We see clearly in Storyteller that he was very sorry. but joking and making stories is his way of dealing with trauma. When he cant cope with reality, he rewrites it. I think Andrew is just as sweet a character as Jonathan, just weaker.

Last edited by Callace; 01-01-2008 at 07:48 AM
Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 PM
New Fan

I got one.

The Prom.

How cool was that scene? I could cry right now just thinking about that moment when he's talking about Buffy and giving her the unbrella...

Man, I love this show.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

that scene was great. although I always wondered how he got that place in the prom organizer group. I kind of considered him too insecure and unpopular for that kind of responsibility at high school...
Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM
New Fan

Jonathan...grab your magic bone!

I loved Jonathon...in Conversations With Dead People he really made me like him in spite of all the bad things he helped with in season 6.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Master Fan

Meh... I know Andrew crys and says he's remorseful for what he did to Jonathan, but I dunno, it didn't seem entirely honest to me. The tears could have honestly came just because he thought Buffy was going to kill him and he thought he'd give one last chance at his 'storytelling'. That's just me though...
Old 01-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsebold87 (View Post)
Meh... I know Andrew crys and says he's remorseful for what he did to Jonathan, but I dunno, it didn't seem entirely honest to me. The tears could have honestly came just because he thought Buffy was going to kill him and he thought he'd give one last chance at his 'storytelling'. That's just me though...
his fright clearly was a part of it then, but he shows his guilt, sensitivities and issues all the more in his last entry to his videodiary, where he put down his mask, and try to tell things exactly as they are. That scene really touched me.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:12 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsebold87 (View Post)
You've got to keep in mind that it was an episode written by Jane Espenson.

She can do good comedy, but it never feels like she gets the characters right. And she can NEVER get them sounding sincere. She's one of my least favourite writers because of it. The characters always feel slightly off, and unlike themselves, whenever she's writing.

Personally I think it's more the fault of the writer than the fault of the character. If JOSS had written it, I'm fairly sure I'd have been in oh- so- manly tears watching it.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
New Fan

I've always liked Jonathan. Espically around Andrew. Wish he didn't die.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Extreme Fan

Would you like me to start a Jane Espenson UNAPPRECIATION thread, Shades?

I know that would make you very happy.

But... I have to disagree with you. A writer can write briliant material for an actor to act, but if the actor doesn't pull it off convincingly than it's worth nothing. Of course, the same goes the other way-brilliant acting does not compensate for shoddy writing.

Quote:
I think it's more the fault of the writer than the fault of the character
The characters formation, continuation, and ultimate emancipation is placed in the hands of the writer as the catalyst for his/her actions. So one could argue how a writer writes a character is how the character comes to be/is.

This seems to be so in the way of Andrew...

Unfortunately, this could also allow for many inconsistencies in the way characters are portrayed, as you say.

Angel: I love you.
Buffy: I love you.
Angel: Nothing can change that. Not even death.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Master Fan

Jonathan needs some lovin!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes he does He's my favourite reoccuring character
Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww Jonathan. I loved him. I thought he was a good guy just trying to find his place.

I loved that he was the one to give out the class protector award and in the Trio he was the one that didn't want to be all evil and hurt people. Too bad Andrew killed him.

You're not my employee. You're my P A R T N E R.
How do I look? | Like a HERO
~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Closed Thread   Post New Thread