Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Master Fan

Gellar Open to Angel Gig.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-t...03/03/17.00.tv

Quote:
Gellar Open To Angel Gig

Sarah Michelle Gellar, former star of TV's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, told SCI FI Wire the reasons she reluctantly pulled out of appearing in the Buffy spinoff Angel earlier this season and left open the possibility that she might still make an appearance, if asked, before Angel winds up its fifth and final season this year on The WB. Gellar, speaking for the first time about the issue, said in an interview that she had to bow out of a planned guest appearance on Angel when her aunt died late last year. Gellar spoke to SCI FI Wire during a break in the filming of her new project, the supernatural horror film The Grudge, in Tokyo.

Her Angel decision was "a really common misconception that people have written a lot about," Gellar said. "They had asked me to do Angel, and it was a very bad time in my personal life. There was a lot going on in my family. And I had to back out. And you sort of never hear the second side of the story. You never hear why I didn't do it. And then all of a sudden, people get really angry, and nobody asks why it didn't work for you." At the time, reports suggested that Gellar had pulled out because she wanted to distance herself from the Buffy franchise.

As for whether she will guest star in Angel's season-ending episodes, much as Angel star David Boreanaz did on Buffy when it wrapped its seven-year run last spring, Gellar said it hinges in part on her schedule. She's finishing the final weeks of 42 days of shooting on The Grudge, with at least nine more shooting days to go. The final Angel episodes are in production now.

"A lot has been written about recently, 'Oh, is she going to do it? Is she not going to do it?'" Gellar said. "Well, to be truthful, I don't know if I'm even going to make it home before they finish. But no one's contacted me. I'll be totally honest. And it depends. I think. I go back and forth on the idea, especially because Angel had such a hard time, in my opinion, always getting out from Buffy's shadow. And it never got to stand on its own. And I would hate for it to go out being about Buffy. It'll all depend on if I'm home in time and what the ideas are."

Buffy and Angel creator Joss Whedon has said he'd welcome an appearance by Gellar. For her part, she said she's open to it, explaining, "If everything falls into place, and it feels like the right thing at the time for the right people." Angel airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
This is interesting to see her side of the story. I agree with her that I don't want Buffy to come back for a little bit in the series finale and that be it. The ending should be about the characters on the show and I want to see their ending. But then on the other hand Angel's or Spike's ending could involve Buffy. So there are good and bad points. But I'd rather see an ending for this seasons story arc of W&H, Angel and Spike's equal desire for the shanshu, a Connor rap up, see what happens with Gunn, and also what happens to Fred and Wesley.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Loyal Fan

yeah, i agree, i think if she comes back, it will have to be a great storyline.

"I'll be true, I'll be useful, I'll be cavalier, I'll be yours my dear, I'll belong to you if you just let me through."
Old 03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Master Fan

I'm glad that Sarah had time to give her side of story. It pisses me off when people bad mouth her without getting all the facts.

My condolences for her loss. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ 03-03-2004: Message edited -Mo- ]
Old 03-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Absolute Fan

I really hope she doesn't come back. If Angel somehow gets another season, that's fine. But right now, this season, I don't want a Buffy appearance.

I just can't believe you're leaving over three words I couldn't say last night.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:53 PM
Passionate Fan

I really mixed about this. i want her to come back so we can finally get some closure on this damn shipper stuff, but I dont want her to if it's just going to be one lame scene ala the Buffy series finale. i just want the finale to tie up all the loose ends.

Im glad she's finally had the chance to tell her side of the story anyway. Maybe it'll stop all the bad comments now.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think there are ways to include Buffy that would still honor the Angel story and the independence of those characters. But this season of Angel is so strong that if they didn't bring her back I wouldn't be upset - and I don't think I would have ever said that before.

I also think its a copout for SMG to say that no one ever gave her a chance to tell her side of the story. Its bull. Entertainment writers have been clamboring to find out if she would come back with no official word from her camp being released. When BtVS ended she was asked over and over if she would return to the character. Each time she said no without saying "never". If she wanted a statement released all she would have to do is have her publicist make a couple of phone calls. Its not like no one wanted to hear from her.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Shasta Popsicle:
<STRONG>I also think its a copout for SMG to say that no one ever gave her a chance to tell her side of the story. Its bull. Entertainment writers have been clamboring to find out if she would come back with no official word from her camp being released. When BtVS ended she was asked over and over if she would return to the character. Each time she said no without saying "never". If she wanted a statement released all she would have to do is have her publicist make a couple of phone calls. Its not like no one wanted to hear from her.</STRONG>
you make such a good point. i started to feel bad for a minute for critcizing her decision not to appear, but then i realized you're right. every report i read made it clear she was offering no explanation...it even seemed like joss and david didn't even fully know why she backed out.

as for her appearing later this season or not, i'm leaning towards thinking i'd rather have her not return. there are too many things going on right now apart from buffy that i'd rather see a resolution to. i don't really have a problem leaving it up to my imagination who buffy finally ends up with...if anyone.

"For your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?"
Old 03-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
<STRONG>I think there are ways to include Buffy that would still honor the Angel story and the independence of those characters. But this season of Angel is so strong that if they didn't bring her back I wouldn't be upset - and I don't think I would have ever said that before.

I also think its a copout for SMG to say that no one ever gave her a chance to tell her side of the story. Its bull. Entertainment writers have been clamboring to find out if she would come back with no official word from her camp being released. When BtVS ended she was asked over and over if she would return to the character. Each time she said no without saying "never". If she wanted a statement released all she would have to do is have her publicist make a couple of phone calls. Its not like no one wanted to hear from her.</STRONG>
Still with the criticisms. Frankly, I wish that SMG had not bothered to respond in the first place. I don't think she really had to bothered. If there were reasons why she couldn't or wouldn't appear on ANGEL, it was her business and no one else's. And I wish that many of the fans, along with DB and Whedon hadn't raised such a big fuss over the matter. Rather tacky of them.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Passionate Fan

I agree with everyone as well, I think there are good and bad points for Buffy to come back. I think that if Angel was getting another season, then yes, I would say bring SMG back, maybe like for 2 eppys like they did with Eliza and then send her on her way...that way they could incorporate Buffy into a season, and then finish out the rest of the season about Angel, like they did like season with Eliza...

But at the same time, now that we now that Joss & Co. doesn's have much time, then we need to get this resolved, especially with Connor and what happens with Fred and Wesley...looks like the Council is starting over anew...would Wesley go back to it aftet the show ends?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by JanineW:
<STRONG>

Still with the criticisms. Frankly, I wish that SMG had not bothered to respond in the first place. I don't think she really had to bothered. If there were reasons why she couldn't or wouldn't appear on ANGEL, it was her business and no one else's. And I wish that many of the fans, along with DB and Whedon hadn't raised such a big fuss over the matter. Rather tacky of them.</STRONG>
If she wants to be the kind of person who just never has to offer an explanation to the public for her professional decisions, so be it. But maybe a profession where she didn't have to depend on her appeal to the public would be more appropriate. Like banking. But for now she is a public figure and reaps the benefits of celebrity. As such, there are certain obligations that go along with that. I have always supported SMG as a fan, but I don't like the way she and her people handled this.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Master Fan

Here's to hoping she comes nowhere near the end of the series of the finale.

The characters of Angel deserve their own conclusions concerning a number of storylines, and not overshadowment on Buffy's part. That awful B/A debacle we had to sit through for the last two Buffy eps was proof. I don't care to see her there, at all. Just my opinion of course. I understand that either Spike or Angel's future could involve Buffy, so that's kind of the drawback, but, eh, that doesn't meatn I want her to appear. I don't know. Should be interesting.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by karma killer:
<STRONG>I really mixed about this. i want her to come back so we can finally get some closure on this damn shipper stuff, but I dont want her to if it's just going to be one lame scene ala the Buffy series finale. i just want the finale to tie up all the loose ends.

Im glad she's finally had the chance to tell her side of the story anyway. Maybe it'll stop all the bad comments now.</STRONG>

Hey! What do you think you are doing?...How did you get inside of my mouth? To take all the words right out of it???

***taps foot angrily***

I mean, really!

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

What I mean to say is... [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I agree whole heartedly with your post. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Claudia
Old 03-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>

If she wants to be the kind of person who just never has to offer an explanation to the public for her professional decisions, so be it. But maybe a profession where she didn't have to depend on her appeal to the public would be more appropriate. Like banking. But for now she is a public figure and reaps the benefits of celebrity. As such, there are certain obligations that go along with that. I have always supported SMG as a fan, but I don't like the way she and her people handled this.</STRONG>
ok, once again, you said what i was thinking perfectly. being a star means you give up some degree of privacy. while i do believe that there is a line that is all to often crossed between a celebrity's personal and public life, i don't believe that offering an explanation to your fans about a professional decision you make crosses it. she didn't even need to give specifics, but i do believe smg owed both her faces and and the forces behind ats the courtesy of an explanation .

"For your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?"
Old 03-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Yay [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (Dances) If it happens I'm only expecting a 10 minutes cameo.
Buffyverse 1997 - Now & Forever
"I have promises to keep... and miles to go before I sleep."
Old 03-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Addicted Fan

I see no need for Buffy to feature in the finale of Angel. None of their current storylines need her imput, and apart from acting as the antagonist between Spike and Angel, what would really be the point of having her? Angel is its own show in its own right, no longer is it simply the Buffy spinoff. Spike made the crossover because the character still had a story to tell, but I think all of Buffy's stories have been told and wrapped up.