Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Absolute Fan

I miss when that coloring was popular on Tumblr.

Icon: cangelgifs.tumblr.com
Old 11-06-2018, 12:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

I like the purple the best.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by straws (View Post)
I miss when that coloring was popular on Tumblr.
I think I have plenty of it saved.

This is similar to me.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 11-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
This is similar to me.
That's gorgeous.

I've been watching the Still Pretty video reviews of BTVS by Lani Diane Rich and I really loved a lot of what she had to say about Touched.

Quote:
"Everything in their relationship that I've loved throughout the series has led to this. One of the most romantic moments in a story that isn't actually a romance - it's a love story. Buffy and Spike aren't about conquest or star-crossed drama. This is a relationship about two people who know each other so deeply and so well, but they don't have to desperately reach for each other. They are simply connected. Spike is the only one of the love interests in Buffy's life who hasn't diminished her in one way or another and only because she's never cared what he thought of her. He could see the real Buffy because she showed him everything, even the ugly parts. Sometimes only the ugly parts. Their relationship has, at times, be adversarial, violent, abusive, and passionate. But no matter what it's been, it has always been honest, and that honesty is what makes this a love story.

We tell a lot of romantic tales in this culture and I'm not gonna lie, I love a good romance. It's fun to have the bickering slap-slap-kiss of opposites attract. The wild romantic gestures. The tormented Byronic heroes and the damsels in need of rescue. That's all well and good, but that's romance. It's not love.

Romance is exciting and titillating and dramatic and hyperbolic and...temporary. Love is ugly and solid and real. Love knows you - everything about you, everything you try to hide, everything you wish were different - and it exists anyway. Not because it wants you, not because it needs you, but because it is you. It's not always fun and it's not always exciting but it always is.

Romance is external. Love is internal. It's eternal. You can't escape it, because it doesn't hold you captive. Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove

Anyway, the whole point being, romances and love stories are different things. You can have a romance without a love story, and you can have a love story without a romance. When the two are combined you get something rare and powerful.

Romance is manufactured confection. The soul mate. The Montague and the Capulet. It's a good goddamn time, but in the end, it's fluff. It's not real.

Buffy and Spike are a love story because they are connected primarily by the one central ingredient to love: honesty. I'm not talking about superficial honesty. I mean actually showing yourself - your whole self - to another human being. Ugly honesty. Naked honesty. It's about more than just not telling the lie. It's laying open your whole truth to someone else, and that doesn't happen a lot. Not in the stories. Not in life. Our inner ugliness, the things we think make us unlovable, are exactly the things love requires because our ugliness is woven into our whole truth.

Spike's speech is perfect from beginning to end. In it, he expresses love without expectation of return. It is a love that knows what it is and doesn't need sexual expression or conquest to be complete. It is a love that demands nothing, bargains for nothing, expects nothing. It is a love that asks for nothing but to exist. And this - this is what is so great about Buffy and Spike. They don't need to get together. They are together. It's their natural state. This was Spike and Buffy. It's not a romance. It's love. And it is the ugliness of this love that makes it so beautiful." -- Lani Diane Rich
Damn, that took forever to type up.

Last edited by straws; 11-08-2018 at 10:33 PM
Old 11-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for taking the time to write that.

It reminds me of something I've always said about Spuffy: Out of the ugliness came such beauty.

I fixed the vid.

I don't know how to explain what I did though.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 11-08-2018, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

WOW. I didn’t plan on crying today but here I am.

That is beautiful and sums them up so perfectly
Old 11-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I fixed the vid.
Thanks! I just c/ped the link from your post and it worked.

Quote:
It reminds me of something I've always said about Spuffy: Out of the ugliness came such beauty.

There is no pairing like them.

HD cap spam of this iconique moment~

The forehead touching is killing me.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

The way she’s looking at him in the 7th and 8th cap

“Buffy and Spike have some kind of history: you can feel the heat between them. Although, technically, as a vampire, he's room temperature.”

Old 11-10-2018, 06:21 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Buffy and Spike have some kind of history: you can feel the heat between them.
Throw back to Spike telling Buffy in Crush that they have heat and desire between them.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Spike been knew
Old 11-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Absolute Fan

Buffy: Creatures of Habit - illustrated novel (2002, Season 6)

Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Love that! Those red leather pants!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Absolute Fan

Those red pants are iconic Buffy now.

mood: spike chilling in the background
— marilynmay: mood: spike chilling in the background

Is this cap a manip? I don't remember this moment.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Right.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don’t remember it either
Closed Thread   Post New Thread