Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Master Fan

Episode Discussion: 2.21 - Through The Looking Glass

Karyn and I were discussing ways to increase discussion on the board and she came up with the idea of discussing old episodes. So we decided to discuss the episode that comes on TNT each day. We'll start the new discussion thread either the night before or early morning and can discuss it all day long and a few days after it airs. I hope everyone joins in and discusses each episode, what you liked about it, what you didn't like, and how you thought it fit into the whole arc or story of the season.

--------

Episode airing on TNT, 7/12/04 at 5 PM is Through The Looking Glass

From www.zap2it.com

Angel : Through the Looking Glass (Drama) Angel and gang discover that Cordelia has been appointed princess of a demon dimension. TV14 CC Stereo

From www.tvtome.com

Through the Looking Glass
gs: Tom McCleister (Deathwok Clan Mother) Amy Acker (Fred) Andy Hallett (Caritas Host) Mark Lutz (Groosalugg) Michael Phenicie (Silas) Brody Hutzler (Landok) Adoni Maropis (Rebel Leader) Brian Tahash (Constable) Andrew Parks (Priest 1)

Angel and friends work overtime to survive in a foreign dimension. Cordelia discovers her dirty duty as Princess of Pylea is to mate with a creature called the Groosalugg. She's unable to escape the palace with Wesley and Gunn, and the priests keeping watch over her also prove to be less than trustworthy. Meanwhile, Angel gets himself into trouble with the Host's family when he refuses to kill a human woman who went missing from L.A. years before.
~*Magical*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for starting this Jenn Even if u dont watch the ep today but u still remember it from when it aired feel freet o discuss it as well.

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Karbear3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Master Fan

Ok.. so hopefully people participate.. even if you didn't see the episode again today.

I saw parts of the last half because I was at work and missed the first half. I never really liked the Pylea storyline. I really didn't like how Cordelia looked/dressed during this story and I couldn't care much about the story. Groo was too perfectly perfect.

Who else thought that the Angel!demon face looked really bad? I wonder if that was even David w/ that mask on. He really didn't have to be the one wearing that.. it could have been someone else.

My favorite parts were Wesley and Gunn.

Rebel: "They know the princess."
Leader: "Close personal friends, huh?"
Wesley: "I can prove it. In my wallet... uh, ah, the leather holder in the back of my leg coverings."
Wesley: "That's it."
Leader: "It's true. They know the princess."
Wesley: "Now, if your organization would just draw up some sort of list of demands we would be more than happy to present it directly to her majesty."
Leader: "Lets do it. Have Sasha write up a list of demands."
Wesley: "There, you see?"
Leader: "Shove the list in their mouths, put their severed heads on sticks and display them outside the princess' window."
Gunn: "Have I mentioned just how glad I am I decided to leave my people behind in LA so I could come here to die?"

I loved their friendship so much during this season. They went from not liking each other in the beginning to really becoming best buddies by the end.
~*Magical*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Master Fan

Yess jenn i loved there friendship to back in season 2 To bad since then it grew apart And i loved this episode we got to see Fred for the first time sorta how she came about. She was so cute in this ep shy fred we all know and love

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Karbear3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Total Fan

Well, I love this episode because it's funny watch Lorne back home, cause I love Lorne !!!!

I have a fl of this episode http://pylea.no-angel.org/index2.htm

Angel in the sun and looking in the mirror is also very funny ....

Love Wes and Gunn fighting with that rebels ...

and of course... First big appareance of Fred !!!! She is so funny all crazy... I love Pylea Fred !!!! Specially when she said "Handsome man save me from the monsters" , I always loved that line !

Livejournal
Fred Pryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

I love the pylea episodes. They're out of place yes, but that's why I like them. When looking back at Angel episodes, you look at the different arcs and all the journeys they went through as a team in the other dimension it's just a nice change of pace and surrounding. General Wesley was cool, sending Angel out to fight Groo lying to Angel saying he'll come back from being the beast. It was all around good fun. Hell, tomorrow I'll have myself a pylea marathon.
Dark omega zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 AM
Part-Time Fan

THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

The Good;
Angel sees his hair in the mirror for the first time, you always wondered? (I guess Dru always fixed Spike's?) Lovely reveal of WR&H, very clever. Also like the double bluff of Cordy meeting the Groo. All the scenes with Lorne's family are hysterical.
The Bad;
Aside from that this seems to be a case of 6 characters rushing about in search of a plot?
Best line:
Lorne's mother; "No longer do the dance of joy Numfar"
Jeez, how did they get away with that?
Angel still enjoys telling the story of cutting Lindsey's arm off, still some bad feeling there obviously.
Apocalypses: 5
Angel Cliches
Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
Angel actually enjoys playing the hero, revelling in his (literal) moment in the sun.
In disguise; 8
DB get's his shirt off; 12
Cordy's tattoo; 6,
Cheap Angel; 7
Fang Gang in bondage: Wes, Gunn and Lorne again
Cordy: 5
Angel: 9
Wes: 6
Gunn; 3
Lorne; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Lorne again
Cordy: 10
Angel: 12
Wes: 5
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Lorne; 2
Kills: Angel kills 2 demons
Cordy: 5 vamps, 1½ demons
Angel; 26 vamps, 35 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 3 demons
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 7 vamps+ 2 demons.
Fang Gang go evil: almost Angel but not quite
Cordy: 2
Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang: demon Angel
Cordy: 2
Angel: 7

Characters killed:
Recurring characters killed;
6;
Total number of Angel Investigations:
4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Angel Investigations shot:
Angel: 11
Wes; 1
Packing heat;
Wes; 3
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast
Angel: 2; Buffy and Darla
Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:
Cordy is expected to Com-shuk with the Groo, as Gunn observes "Sounds dirty to me". Obvious sexual attraction between Queen C and Groo, Lorne asks should he call the guards back with their cuffs? Cordy once again in a bikini despite saying she doesn't want to seem 'too easy' for the Groo. Cordy observes it's along time since she Com-shuked and remarks on her propensity to be impregnated by demons "Do I send out some sort of 'Com-Shuk me' vibe?" There's a great t-shirt slogan for you. Even the Groo of course is part-demon but can only mate with humans.
Captain Subtext;
Huge beauty and beast vibe between Angel and Fred, Fangel right from the start. Lorne also seems enamoured of Groo so more evidence for the bi vibe. Wes keeps a picture of Cordy in his wallet
Know the face, different character; 2
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Buffy characters on Angel; 15
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony
Questions and observations;
Here's the Groo, yay! After being abused and pushed around for the last 3 eps Cordy is now a Queen as she always wanted to be. Some beautiful small details like Cordy's little finger gesture when she tells the constable who wants the 'Most high princess' to feast on AI's blood "You're most high if you think that's going to happen!". Also Cordy reaching out to embrace her friends who walk past her to the food, shades of Indianna Jones (except Angel who makes for the mirror). Wes' idea of a list of demands sent to the Princess sounds reminiscent of Magna Carta.
Marks out of 10; 7/10
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 09:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Nooo, Lorne That is all.

This was an intriguing continuation of the adventures in Pylea. Cordelia enjoying being a princess is no surprise, but she soon realises they all need to get out of there. Poor Lorne being spit at by his mother. Again no wonder he wanted to leave and never go back.

The way Angel liked looking at himself in the mirror and curious about his hair was funny. A bit strange how he enjoyed telling the story about how he severed Lesley's hand given how they finally ended things on a mutual term. When he realised what they were asking him to do and saves the girl. It turns out she's Winifred, the girl in Cordy's vision, who got there through a portal and been stuck there for 5 years. Poor girl. The way she had made somewhat of a home in her hideaway. Angel turning into full out monster mode confused me until Wesley explained how and why it must've happened. Winifred was so sweet and brave to save Gunn and Wesley from Angel and lead him back to her hideout. It's interesting how he managed to restrain from attacking her yet attacked Gunn and Wesley. When he saw his reflection in the water he was horrified at himself and he turned back into Angel, he was so shaken up. Fred was so sweet to comfort Angel.

I liked Cordy's talk with Groo. Given he had human blood in him he was nice to her and made her feel like she was special even when she thinks she isn't.

The ending shocked me.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's not Lesley, it's Lindsay.
Old 12-09-2023, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Lol whoops my bad, I meant to say Lindsay
Reply   Post New Thread