Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Addicted Fan

Third advanced review of Angel & Faith # 3.

Angel and Faith; Season 10 #4 - Backwards Compatible

Angel and Faith; Season 10 #4

Review by Paul Fiander

When you have two leads in a story getting the balance right can be difficult. Both characters have a story to tell but if one monopolises the majority of page space you can alienating the other character. This can also lead to drop in sales as sometimes a reader will be more engaged with one lead than the other. However you also do not want to fall into the friends trap. When the TV show friends hit its peak all the actors wanted parity in terms of pay and screen time, this lead to shoe horning in storylines so everyone had equal(ish) air time. Obviously with Angel and Faith we do not have to worry about egos and this allows the narrative to rule.

In this issue the balance goes firmly into Angel’s court and rightly so, his story is action filled and deepening where Faith’s is more cerebral. Her conflict about her place in the world and in Deepscan in particular are being laid out before the reader and her decisions are typical Faith as she decides upon her future. There is an orange hew to all of Faiths scenes and you get the impression that this is either the sun setting on an adventure or it could also signify the sun rising on another but we will have to wait and see which it is in a future issue.

Angel is still playing a geezer in the heart of London’s newly formed Magic town. Unfortunately he is not having a great time exploring the wonders of the city instead he is constantly needing to defend himself against a number of assailants most of all the pixies. His fights scenes are full of colour from Michelle Madsen and dynamism from the art of Will Conrad, I still though am not too sure about the depiction of Angel’s face there is something off that I can not quite put my finger on.

At the fourth issue season 10 of Angela and Faith is highly engaging and full of action. The balance of shared narrative ebbs and flows from issue to issue but when a story needs a longer look Victor Gischler seems able to bend the issue to his will. This new creative team seem to have gotten their feet wet and now are plunging straight into the deep end especially in the way the issue ends.

Issue Rating 4/5

ETA

I have my copy of Angel & Faith # 4,"Where The River Meets The Sea Part IV."

I'm keeping this short but overall I enjoyed this issue.The Angel part was the focus this time and the reveal of Amy was a surprise I didn'r see coming although in retrospect should of since she like Pearl is someone who was an ally of Twilight and now would want payback from Angel.

Pearl's return was as expected.

Also Nadira,still not sure what to make of her.She seems to be an ally and I can buy why Angel would want to trust her.

The Pure Magic bit is interesting fallout from last season.

The Faith part was a small bit but is interesting setup for upcoming issues.The last we saw of Riley was at the beginning of season 9 at Buffy's party wasn't I?/I can understand why this would keep Faith around a little longer at Deepscan givne what she did in season 4 and would probably want to make up for it in someway.I'm actually really interested in this plot.

Not a bad issue and I continue to like the tone.

ETA 2

Buffy # 5 SDCC14 Cover.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/...l-someone-for/

Those Dark Horse San Diego Comic Con 2014 Exclusives – Including An Itty Bitty Hellboy Plush I May Have To Kill Someone For

Posted on July 2, 2014 by Rich Johnston

Get ready to line up on Booth 2615. Or check on eBay afterwards. Here are Dark Horse Comics; exclusive sale items for San Diego Comic Con 2014…

3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 #5 San Diego Comic-Con International 2014 Variant Cover

When Buffy and crew try to wrest Xander from Dracula’s control, they begin a battle supreme with the terrifying demon that Dracula has become . . .

Christos Gage, Nicholas Brendan (writers) * Rebekah Isaacs (artist) * Dan Jackson (colorist) * Andy Park (cover artist)

Price: $5.00

Print Run: 1,000

Limit: Five per person

Here's a direct link to the cover.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/...14_buffys10_5/

Last edited by comic fan; 07-02-2014 at 11:40 AM
comic fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Addicted Fan

Spike Into The Light review + more preview pages.

Marsters adds unique perspective to new Spike graphic novel | borg.com
Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Addicted Fan

Another Spike:Into The Light review.

Spike: Into the Light Graphic Novel Review

Spike: Into the Light Graphic Novel Review

Posted by Kory Cerjak
July 9, 2014

The man himself joins the Buffy comics to write his own. And it’s good.

Creative Staff:
Story: James Marsters
Penciller: Derlis Santacruz
Inker: Andy Owens
Colorist: Dan Jackson
Letters: Richard Starkings and Jimmy Betancourt
Cover Artist: Steve Morris

What They Say:
Taking a break from Sunnydale, Spike comes to a small California town, low on funds and food, and runs into his past—hidden under the floorboards of an old store—as well as a patience-trying, shambling monster, stolen children, and some trouble with his footwear…And of course there’s always a girl. How can a good guy catch a break when he’s constantly trying to hide the vampire inside?

Content: (please note that content portions of a review may contain spoilers)
Spike’s been one of my favorite characters in Buffy for a really long time. Possibly for the longest time. His jokes, like Xander’s, never felt forced because his English quip just made them work. Buffy’s and Willow’s jokes, especially in the third and fourth seasons, really felt strained and like there should just be a joke here and Xander already told one so give it to another character. With Spike in the mix, everything became fine and dandy.

This time round, he’s taking a break from his best Slayer Buffy and hauling his ass over to Greenville. This comic happens sometime in season seven in between episode two and episode eight, probably, and Spike’s just got his soul back.

The return of Spike’s soul is an interesting plot point in and of itself because it marks a huge, and tangible, change in Spike’s character. Not only is he the very thing he hated (Angel, a vampire with a soul), but he’s also turned himself against the one he loves for that very girl. It ain’t gestures that gets Spike the girl, it’s every little moment leading up to that gesture. And every moment leading up to that are Spike being awful.

In season six, when Buffy confides in Spike as a casual partner, it’s Spike’s bad side that draws her to him. He’s the forbidden fruit because he’s the very thing she should be killing. If anything, she should at least not have sex with him but she does anyway. The start of this arc of bad boy who’ll kill and steal anything he wants to vampire with a soul begins in episode 19 of season six, the famous bathroom scene. For once in Spike’s unlife, he experiences regret at something he’s done without the aid of a chip of a soul to make him feel that way. And he’s confused.

Everything from those episodes leads him to Greenville, a small California town that he maybe went to subconsciously. Long ago, he hid $100,000 under a shop, but he doesn’t remember immediately.

The impetus of everything isn’t the shop, but a pair of boots. He trips and his boots break at the sole. But without money and now with a soul, he can’t just steal. He’d feel BAD about it and it’s not something Buffy’d be glad about.

So he slums it in the sewers, wallowing in his own sorrow. At nights, he comes out and saves people’s lives by happenstance. First a girl named Dylan (like Bob) and next a young child. The demon who steals the kid provides a good contrast to Spike. He’s what Spike could have been if he fell down the deep end because the demon wants exactly what Spike wants: acceptance.

In Summary:
This comic is short, but sweet, and provides with just enough content without overstaying its welcome. I think even 20 pages more would be too much for the story it has here. It’s Spike’s entire arc from in-the-middle baddie to full on goodie and it feels really nice to be able to experience that change first hand. Having it written by James Marsters himself only sweetens the deal. It’s completely foreign to non-Buffy fans, though.

<br />

Content Grade: A
Art Grade: B+

Age Rating: 14+
Released By: Dark Horse
Release Date: July 16, 2014
MSRP: $14.99
Old 07-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 5.

Preview: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #5 - Comic Book Resources

EXCL PREVIEW: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" #5 Tries to Stop Maloker

Buffy and her crew must stop the creature Maloker before he destroys everything in Christos Gage & Nicholas Brendon's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #5

When Buffy and crew try to wrest Xander from Dracula’s control, they begin a battle supreme with the terrifying demon that Dracula has become...

* Nicholas Brendon joins the writing team!

* The team from Angel & Faith takes over Buffy!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Addicted Fan

Christos Gage interview about Buffy Season 10 and his career with CBR TV.

CBR TV: Christos Gage on "Buffy" & the Benefits of Co-Writing - Comic Book Resources

CBR TV: Christos Gage on "Buffy" & the Benefits of Co-Writing

"Buffy Season 10" scribe Christos Gage stopped by the CBR Speakeasy to discuss the return of co-writer Nicholas Brendon and more.

Jonah Weiland, Executive Producer/Publisher

Whether it's "Buffy Season 10" or "Superior Spider-Man," writer Christos Gage has a lot going on -- but he's got a little assistance when it comes to crafting the adventures of Buffy Summers and the gang. Original "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" actor Nicholas Brendon will return to co-write issues of the series with Gage following his successful recent co-writing of "Buffy Season 10."

Gage joined CBR executive producer Jonah Weiland at the CBR Speakeasy in Los Angeles to discuss Brendon's return to the series, breaking into comics ten years ago, the major benefits of co-writing -- whether it's with Brendon, his wife Ruth, or Dan Slott on "Superior Spider-Man" -- and much more. Plus, he chats about his love of football and driving his '68 Camero through rough Massachusetts winters growing up.

On breaking into comics through work in TV and film: I sent my first submission into Marvel in the 1980s, so I was probably 14. Got a letter back saying, in the nicest possible way, "This pretty much sucks. You're not ready yet." I sent in some stuff to DC and Image in the early '90s when I was in college. Got some encouraging words back, but didn't follow it up because -- I don't know why. I went to film school, and out of film school, my wife Ruth and I started co-writing together. About six months out of film school, sold a pitch for a movie to Warner Bros. We got paid, got into the writer's guild -- the script is sitting on a shelf, as many of them do. But I started doing some movies, did a movie called "The Breed," did a movie by myself called "Teenage Caveman" ... We wrote a number of screenplays that didn't get produced, and then got into TV: "Law and Order: SVU," "Numbers" -- and then got into comics. At the time, it was more backing into it. There was much more of a hierarchy. If you were a movie writer, you didn't do TV unless you couldn't get work in movies anymore. If you did live-action TV, you didn't do animation unless you couldn't get work in live-action anymore. If you wrote TV, you didn't write comics because it was a step down. Then, there were guys like Kevin Smith and Joss Whedon right around the time I was in film school that said, "The hell with that. I love all these different types of writing and I'm going to do them all." After a while people were like, "Yeah, me too!" But at the time, it was a bit unusual.

It worked in my favor because at the time it was Kevin Smith and Joss and that was about it, and at the time, if you had any credits in Hollywood you could say, "I'd like to write some comics," and they'd say, "Wow! Come on in!" Now it's like, "And, you've won how many Oscars? One? Come back when it's two."

On Nicholas Brendon's return to "Buffy Season 10": We had fun, and we wanted to keep doing it. There were good opportunities for him to do it. We did issues 3-5 together, we're doing 7 and then 11 and 12. ... We live close to each other, so we get together and talk. I think it works -- I feel in co-writing situations, what you don't want are two people who are good at the exact same things and approach it the exact same way. Then, you're just duplicating it and there's no point. You want a situation where the skills complement each other, so the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That's the case with me and my wife, that's the case with me and Dan Slott, me and Mike Costa -- and it's definitely the case with me and Nicky. He's a trained actor, his experience is as an actor, and he approaches things from that point of view. I was trained as a writer. In #3, he goes to visit Dracula, riffing off the thing that Drew Goddard set up in "Season 8," Dracula and Xander have a man crush relationship. Dracula is trying to convince Xander to come back and be his manservant. They just finished their regular Tuesday Night Orgy, and boy is it sad you missed it! He's faking it, he's lying, and I wanted to get across that he was lying and I didn't know how to do it without being clunky. Nicky was like, "Just keep repeating the word orgy." We met later and he said, "I see you keep having people repeat stuff when they're lying." "Yeah, it's a great trick! It works!" I love that because you come out being a better solo writer for having been in the co-writing situation.

On what he's learned co-writing with his wife and co-writing with Dan Slott: Ruth thinks very visually, almost like a director. I tend to approach thing more for dialogue, and I can't tell you what we were just working on, but she came up with a moment in a battle scene that was so visual and brilliant and brutal that I was like, "Oh my God!" and then I was a little scared. ... I think she would make an excellent director. She pushes me to think in a visual way. ... Dan is a bundle of energy. When we talk about Spider-Man stories, for example, he does the voice of Jonah Jameson -- the growling, "Parker!" He does the voice of the Thing. But the big difference between me and Dan is that he is very plot-focused and I'm more script-focused. I do outlines because you have to, they're important. I hate doing them. I love writing the script. He can write the plots no problem, he hates writing the scripts. It's like Jack Spratt and his wife, we're each better at the other thing. It's overly simplistic to say he plots and I script, because he writes lines and from time-to-time, I'll bring in a plot element, but generally, that's how it works.

On his Patriots season tickets, held despite the cold Massachusetts winters: Ruth and I are bi-coastal, but when we spend time back east, it's in North Carolina, where she's from. We spent a winter in Massachusetts a couple years ago and there was literally a blizzard every week. ... Never again will I spend a winter in Massachusetts. So, it's Carolina or L.A. for me. I have Patriot season tickets, and I go to a couple of games every year, but the rest of the time, I give them to family or friends.

There is also a video of the interview as well.

The big take away is Nick is co-writing issue 11 and 12 after issue 7.

Last edited by comic fan; 07-11-2014 at 12:35 PM
Old 07-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Addicted Fan

Whedonverse Comic panel announced for SDCC14.

Comic-Con 2014: The Whedonverse

Saturday, July 26 • 1:30pm - 2:30pm

The Whedonverse

Dark Horse's continuations of Joss Whedon's cult favorites (Serenity, Buffy the Vampire Slayer , Angel & Faith) remain some of the most-talked-about comics in the industry. Dark Horse is giving you an exclusive chance to hear all there is to tell about the current series of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Serenity from the series' top talent, with Dark Horse editor-in-chief Scott Allie; Buffy Season 10 writer Christos Gage andco-writer and actor Nicholas Brendon; Serenity artist Georges Jeanty; and TV and comics writer Jane Espenson.

Saturday July 26, 2014 1:30pm - 2:30pm
Room 24ABC

ETA

Christos Gage on the Word Balloon Podcast talking Buffy Season 10.

http://wordballoon.blogspot.com/2014...stos-gage.html

Last edited by comic fan; 07-12-2014 at 01:17 PM
Old 07-15-2014, 05:27 AM
Addicted Fan

3rd Advanced Spike:Into The Light Review.

Comic Frontline: Spike: Into the Light Advanced Review

Spike: Into the Light Advanced Review

By: Nicole D'Andria

Written by James Marsters, the very actor who portrayed the role of the vampire Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Spike: Into the Light is a 72 page hardcover that takes place during the seventh season of Buffy. This story has action, romance and an enjoyable protagonist.

Spike, along with his newfound soul, pays a visit to Greenville, California. There he enjoys getting whacked by a broomstick and fighting a demon that craves children. The only downside is (wait, those were all downsides...) his boots are falling apart!

I am a huge Spike/James Marsters fan and I enjoyed this comic a lot. There are some things I don’t like about the Buffy comic books and while this hardcover doesn’t have as much funny dialogue as the television show, it’s more enjoyable than most of the other Buffy comic books.

By far my favorite thing about this comic is Marsters masterful handling of the character. Having played the character, he knows what makes Spike tick and his personality. That knowledge is expertly implemented in every piece of dialogue Spike utters. He’s a compelling hero who’s trying so hard to be good which makes him all the more sympathetic when he gets into a couple of messy situations

Spike is given a love interest, Dylan, and the dialogue the two share is really enjoyable. We get to see how smooth Spike is and Dylan, while nothing too special, is a decent character. If you weren’t already charmed by Spike in Buffy, this could be a nice introduction.

The whole boots falling apart is actually a plot point and it's kind of wrapped up in a corny bow at the end. However, it serves a purpose and does give us some nice closure at the end. Doesn't stop me from wanting more though.

I don’t really like Andy Owens inks on Buffy the Vampire Slayer but his inks on this, combined with the efforts of penciler Derlis Santacruz are decent. Spike looks like he should. The facial expressions often add to the humor of the panel without using dialogue at times, though they are somewhat awkward. This awkwardness, usually caused by inexplicable line work, can be seen in some panels which does hurt the artwork, but it's not terrible.

Despite being 72 pages long, this comic never drags. As a result, when this hardcover ends it leaves me craving more. This is definitely something Spike fans will enjoy. His personality is spot on and while the plot doesn’t make an impact on an overarching story, this hardcover really gets you behind Spike (if you weren’t already). It makes me want to read more about his character.

I give Spike: Into the Light a 8.0 / 10.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Addicted Fan

Bleeding Cool has the October 2014 comic solicitations up.Buffy # 8,Angel & Faith # 7 and the first Angel & Faith trade volumn are out.

Dark Horse Comics Solicitations For October 2014, Aliens, Predator, Buffy, MGMT, Father's Day And More - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

BTVS SEASON 10 #8 MAIN CVR

(W) Christos N. Gage (A) Rebekah Isaacs, Richard Corben (CA) Steve Morris
A Halloween issue spectacular takes Buffy and crew back to Sunnydale as they follow the stolen Vampyr book, finding a massive magical party at the Hellmouth-and a demon devouring revelers!

ANGEL AND FAITH SEASON 10 #7 MAIN CVR

(W) Victor Gischler (A) Will Conrad (CA) Scott Fischer
Amy the Rat has been seeking favors in Magic Town, and Angel is on alert-what is this witch really after? Meanwhile, Faith has tracked Riley into the jungle to find a tribe of vicious new vampires! Casualties be happening . . .

ANGEL & FAITH SEASON 10 TP VOL 01 RIVER MEETS SEA

(W) Victor Gischler (A) Will Conrad & Various (CA) Scott Fischer
Angel’s work is never done. Last time he averted an apocalypse, part of London turned into a chaotic stew of supernatural forces. Who better to watch over it than Angel himself? Or so he thinks. Meanwhile, Faith begins a new chapter in her life-slaying the undead, and then going corporate . . . Collects Angel & Faith Season 10 #1-#5.

You can see the covers over st Bleeding Cool but I'll bring them over and post them here once the solicitations is up elsewhere.

I really love that main Buffy cover but it sounding like the gang really needs to put the Vampyr book under lock and key

ETA

Here are the covers for the October 2014 Solicitations.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=54105

Angel & Faith # 7

Buffy # 8

Angel & Faith Season 10 Volume 1: Where the River Meets the Sea TPB

Last edited by comic fan; 07-16-2014 at 12:16 PM
Old 07-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Christos Gage tweets

https://twitter.com/Christosgage

Christos Gage‏@Christosgage

The October @DarkHorseComics solicits hit so I can reveal Buffy #8 has 3 pages by the legendary RICHARD CORBEN! Dark Horse Comics Solicitations For October 2014, Aliens, Predator, Buffy, MGMT, Father's Day And More - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

Christos Gage @Christosgage · Jul 16

Thanks to @ScottAllie for making my fanboy dream of working with Corben real and @rebekahisaacs for doing her usual awesome job on the rest!

Christos Gage @Christosgage · 24h

Just so no one feels misled, Richard Corben is not drawing Buffy herself in issue 8. It's a "Tales of the Slayers" flashback with MONSTERS!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Addicted Fan

First advanced review for Buffy # 5.

Advance Review: “Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10” #5 -

Advance Review: “Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10” #5

By Zac Thompson on July 21, 2014

The release of Christos Gage and Nicholas Brendon’s “Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10” #5 sees the exciting end of this Season’s widely revered first arc, and the beginning of what’s gearing up to be a potentially significant saga in the series’ rapidly evolving mythology. Be sure to pick up your copy when it hits stands this Wednesday (July 23), and click through to read our spoiler-free review!

WRITTEN BY: Christos Gage, Nicholas Brendon

ART BY: Rebekah Isaacs

PUBLISHER: Dark Horse Comics

PRICE: $3.50

RELEASE: July 23, 2014

Reviewed By: ShadowJayd

For how different they seem to be, seasoned writer Christos Gage, and Buffy alum Nicholas Brendon, deliver another perfectly co-written script, both working in tandem to establish the dramatic events that will ultimately set the course for whatever lies ahead in “Buffy Season 10.”

Following last month’s surprising cliffhanger, Dracula’s dangerous meddling with the VAMPYR book in his quest for power has left the Scooby Gang scrambling in an epic battle to stop the terrifying—and familiar—demon he has unwittingly transformed into; whilst also trying to extract a mind-controlled Xander from Dracula’s hold. The issue roller-coasters along at an alarmingly quick pace, only slowing down to provide exposition and plot development when needed. The prominence of action and movement is a gift that keeps on giving as Buffy and crew take the fighting to the streets, providing a great opportunity for Rebekah Isaacs to not only showcase the cohesiveness of the team as a combat unit, but also her illustrative capabilities and fantastically imagined artwork. At times, the accelerated pace comes off as a bit excessive, but overall this is a pretty infectious installment.

Gage and Brendon use dialogue to great effect, leaning heavily toward the comedic side of the spectrum, with the writers delighting readers with quip after witty quip. Comedy is notoriously difficult to pull off, especially when trying to effectively express humour within the comics medium, but Gage and Brendon appear to be in their element. On the other hand, while “New Rules, Part V” is a master class in comedic delivery and timing, it could very well just be subject to its audience. It’s hard to say whether the narrative’s balance of plot and cheesy humour is exactly what the fandom wants and expects, or if it’s overkill; but personally, I relate to the former.

From beginning to end, this chapter is a blast to read thanks to Gage’s creative mind and understanding of the Buffyverse, and Brendon’s iconic acting experience as Xander Harris which allows for an incredibly authentic voice to be heard in the character’s dialogue; specifically his interactions with Dracula. Moreover, Rebekah Isaacs’ artwork really compliments the writers’ humour and makes excellent use of page layouts and design.

She also brings a lot of visual humour to the issue, herself. From subtle character moments, like Ghost Anya reaffirming her invisibility by waving a hand in front of an old acquaintance’s oblivious face. To big moments, like Willow magic-flying an unsuspecting, though agreeable, Catholic priest through the air to bless a towering structure amidst complete demon-fighting chaos. In contrast, colourist Dan Jackson keeps things visually serious with his typical palette of dark hues and tones. Yet he still provides a sense of vitality that instantly stimulates the eye. Isaacs and Jackson work together to capture that wonderful mix of humor, horror, and supernatural might that keeps life extremely interesting for Buffy and her gang.

The fandom is lucky to experience the beginning of a new season that’s growing into one of the most original and skillfully constructed eras of the series. I can’t wait to see what’s to come.

ShadowJayd, known everywhere else as Farah Jayden Hakkak, has been a staff writer for Bloody-Disgusting since July 2012. You can find her on Twitter, or passed out by the dirt road behind Wendy’s.

ETA

Second advanced review for Buffy # 5.

http://www.backwardscompatible.co.uk...ason-10-5.html

Review - Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Season 10 #5

Review by Paul Fiander

This has been a very good opening arc into the “New Rules” of the Buffyverse; there has been action and intrigue but most importantly a smooth transition with the new creative team taking over. The new rule idea has been used really effectively to bring a new sense of life to the series. As a returning reader I’m happy to say it has captured my attention but I also feel it would be great for new comers as well. Obviously a certain frame of reference would be better to help know the characters but I do feel each is crafted as to allow newbie’s a chance to hit the ground running.

This issue is not so much about Buffy as it is about the Scooby Gang as a collective, this is true of most plots but there is something about this issue that really highlights the diversity and talents of the whole group. From spell casting to fighting to writing everyone has a role and even though they may not be utilised in every issue each has a role in making this series what it is. Thankfully the majority of the episode sidesteps melodrama with a deft touch but there are a few heart tugging moments aligned with the odd corny line but they all feel earned within the narrative. The addition of Nicholas Brendon to the writing team seems pretty seamless and I hope going forward he will help improve the product overall.

Artistically Rebekah Issacs and colourist Dan Jackson really seem to be having a lot of fun in this issue. The magnitude of the central battle lets them create a wonderful playground; it is however the character moments that really show their metal. This is well demonstrated in the Dawn/Xander moments as you get the idea that these two really have a connection.

This has been a very good opening to the new era and I am full onboard for the series as it continues. Admittedly this is only the first arc but if it carries on in this vein then the new team should make the new rules as compelling a read as any other Buffy series to date.

Issue Rating 4.5/5

Last edited by comic fan; 07-21-2014 at 07:55 PM
Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Addicted Fan

Leyki has posted a review of Buffy # 5.

Review, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #05 (New Rules, Part 5) | Light_Watcher

ETA

Another Buffy # 5 review.

http://www.geekedoutnation.com/revie...r-season-10-5/

Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #5 – Those You Choose

by Jideobi Odunze

There’s a reason you love reading Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and it’s because of the way this very issue concluded. You read this and it’s as if the show never ended. Every person who has handled writing this story stayed true to what makes this story as down to Earth as it can possibly be for one that is a supernatural drama. Christos Gage and Nicholas Brendon made a great team in bringing us into this new season of Buffy and they have created so much potential for what the rest of it has to offer.

There was a lot to like about this issue of Buffy. This was every bit the intense fight you could have wanted from it considering Maloker was not this strong the last time they took him on. What you like about how this fight was handled is that it called for a team effort to stop Maloker. Each character was really utilized to have some relevance and you have to appreciate that this wasn’t something that turned into one person saving the day. When the Scoobies were brought back together you knew that things would go back to the way they used to, which means every person playing their part no matter how little to get the job done. It brings back a nostalgic feeling even though the situation is beyond that which they faced in the past.

Above all Nicholas Brendon has to be recognized for being able to give his voice to Xander. So much emotion that you felt from the series so far he captured through Xander losing Dawn, dealing with Anya’s spirit haunting him, and Dracula’s hold over him which proved to be much more than it looked on the surface. Him finally confronting Dawn about his feelings was one of those genuine moments that makes you respect a book like this. Take away all the supernatural craziness and they are all just people struggling with every day issues we all experience in one form or another.

Even Spike managed to come up with something very profound and it shows you how good Christos Gage is at creating dialogue that’s natural. Only Spike with a soul could have said what he did to Buffy and it be so true.

If there was any way to make things interesting, having the rules rewritten was the best way to really bring the fantasy back into this series. Since the discovery that there are new rules to how magic is used a door has been opened to so many possibilities in the Buffyverse.

The one issue I did find is that while Anya’s wit is entertaining, you still are forced to question how come magic hasn’t detected her. Willow has dealt with could before and you just wonder if this should be a priority, even if Xander is the only one who can see her.

With that said, the interior art is great as usual. As I call this a supernatural drama, Rebekah Issacs makes it look like one easily. From the magic(Use of colors with it), Maloker, and everything else in-between that I’ll leave unsaid for risk of spoilers. As well as she handles the action sequences, and she does them very well, you notice more in this issue how she captures the emotion from the characters. Specifically in terms of Xander and Dawn. That was a moment that needed to be sold to us and she did.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #5 gave you a fight to stop Maloker, save Dracula, wrest Xander from Dracula’s control, and much more. You wonder how so much can be packed into a single issue and not feel lost, yet this is something you can always expect from the Buffy books and have it transition so well.

ETA 2

I have my copy of Buffy # 5.The Conclusion of the "New Rules" arc.

Overall I've been pretty happy with Gage's And Isaacs;s work in the buffyverse.There Angel & Faith run last season was stellar IMO and this opening arc of Buffy continues that streak with the added bonus of Nicky Brendon with issues 3-5.I'm very happy that nick will be around for more issues(# 7 his next).

This concluding chapter of the opening arc of seaon had as much pop as the last four and gave a satisfying end to the story whiel setting up interesting elemnts of where the story is going.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the nature of the Vampry book now but I do like the setup of the not just buffy but the Scoobies as a whole acting as guardians to overseeing the rewriting of the rules in the book with D'Hoffryn and his mystical council as advisers.A nice check and balance system.I do worry that the whole season could be about people trying to steal the book for their own purposes.Dracula did it in this arc and based on upcoming solicitations,someone else will try the same again.I have to believe though there will be more to things then that.

,I'm also really curious how writing in the book and The Scoobies overseeing it will effect what goes on over in Angel & Faith with Magic Town.This actually gives a good setup for Angel to crossover down the line I think.

The resolution to the Xander/Dracula story was great although I was surprised Dracula wasn't killed.Much like pre souled Spike and Harmony,Drac gets a not get staked card due to the character being who he is.On the surface,Xander and Dracula being buddies is nice but when I think about it,it is hard to swallow given Xander's hatred of vampires but I'll go with it.

I liked the call back to season 8 and Giant Dawn.

The conclusion ot the Xander/Dawn stuff was sad but expected and I did like how it was handled and even left the door open for them in the future.I like the idea of Xander hoping to get Dawn to fall in love with him again.It's a nice thought.

Also some interesting progress on the Anya front and Xander asking D'Hoffryn to look into it for him(Liked D'Hoffryn's thoughts on Anya).Still not sure how I feel about bringing Anya back though even as a ghost.Still too many dead characters returning for my taste but we'll see how this continues.

Overall this issue and arc had a nice message as emphasized in Buffy and Spike's talk at the end.The Scoobies are a family and their in this together.

Also,I picked up Spike:Into The Light today too.I didn't have enough money last week to pick it up so my shop held it for me for this week.It was a nice little Spike story.My feeling is a a good story is a good story so the continuity issue does not bother me.Yes,it probably would fit better in Angel season 5 but I just treated it like some of the IDW Angel stuff and not worried about where it fit in.

ETA 3

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=7568

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #5

by Greg McElhatton, Reviewer

After the up-and-down nature of the two previous comic book seasons, it's a real relief to find "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" continuing to move at such a strong, even keel. While normally I'd be a bit more worried about the addition of a show's star as a co-writer, Christos Gage, Nicholas Brendon and Rebekah Isaacs demonstrate how well it can be done.

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #5 closes out its story on the ever-shifting nature of magic, coupled with the disastrous transformation of Dracula into one of the Old Ones, in the way that the best stories in this series do: a mixture of supernatural and old-fashioned smarts. I appreciate that Gage and Brendon don't treat magic as a crutch here (no waving the hand to deus ex machina everything away), but rather as a tool that like anything else needs a good idea to solve problems. Dracula's defeat (since there's more of a series to come, it's not a spoiler to note that he doesn't in fact destroy all life on the planet) requires both halves of the equation in order for things to work properly.

But while the resolution of the problems that face Buffy and her crew are fun (and the lead-in with the "lobbyists" to come is fairly brilliant), it's the character work that Gage and Brendon serve up here that really grabs my attention. It's not surprising that this story is still a little Xander-specific since it's Brendon's first storyline, but here's the great thing: it doesn't feel forced and if anything gives some meat to a character that's been a little adrift as of late. His relationship with Dawn is poignant here, but the other relationships on the table -- with Dracula, for instance, or his deceased fiancée Anya -- are also brought into focus. It's a strong focus on what makes both him and Dawn tick, and it's that sort of care that makes the title work. Even minor characters like Andrew are getting some good little moments, and overall I'd say everyone is the most on-point they've been in a while.

It certainly doesn't hurt that Isaacs' art looks great as always. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's hard to draw characters who are not only on-model with their real-world counterparts, but look energetic and lifelike rather than still and overly posed. It's also refreshing to see not only the main cast looking true to form, but even minor characters like Dracula who remind me a great deal of what they looked like on the show. And of course, when it comes to non-show visuals, like Maloker, Isaacs is able to just go hog-wild and have fun. Something as simple as Willow flying up into the air after energizing Dawn looks good, and the big fight makes good use of a two-page spread without resorting to a single splash image.

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #5 continues the trend of making this series a must-read again. Buffy fans, your complaints have been answered. This comic is a lot of fun and will make you a fan of Buffy and company all over again.

Last edited by comic fan; 07-23-2014 at 04:41 PM
Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Addicted Fan

The full Christos Gage Slayalive Q/A for Buffy # 5 is up.

Spoilers *COMPLETE* Buffy Season 10 #5 Q&A with Christos Gage
Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffyfest has the full Whedonverse Dark Horse panel up from yesterday.

Buffyfest: Dark Horse Panel at San Diego Comic Con 2014

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Dark Horse Panel at San Diego Comic Con 2014

Earlier today was Dark Horse Comics' panel at #SDCC entitled "The Whedonverse." Panelists included Dark Horse editor-in-chief Scott Allie, Buffy season 10 writer Christos Gage, actor/writer and all-around Buffy alum Nicholas Brendon, writer Jane Espenson, and Buffy/Serenity artist Georges Jeanty. Some fun soundbites, especially from Nick Brendon and some nostaligic tales from Jane Espenson See below for the full panel.

Dark Horse Panel "The Whedonverse" - YouTube

I've just started watching it now(it's almost 50 minutes long) so I don't know yet if there is any new reveals so I can't say yet how spoilerish it gets

It sounds like they also will have interviews with Scott Allie,Nicholas Brendon, Christos Gage and Georges Jeanty posted at some point.

ETA.

From the panel as I'm watching.some spoilerish teases.

Issue 8 is the first half of a two part arc called "Return To Sunnydale"Several characters will be looking back on some things that happened in Sunnydale and how it informs who they are now.Will also feature a 3 page story about tales of slayers from the past.

Issue 7(the Xander/Spike roommate issue) is very light on Buffy but her presence looms large in the story.

Andrew is coming to the fore in some upcoming stuff Jane Espenson is advising Gage on.Drew Greenberg also weighs in on this upcoming stuff..

Sander is in therapy.dealing with his issuses and is very empowering right now.His therapist is named Dr. Mike.

Last edited by comic fan; 07-27-2014 at 07:55 AM
Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Addicted Fan

SDCC: Dark Horse Teases Whedonverse Future - Comic Book Resources

SDCC: Dark Horse Teases Whedonverse Future

Scott Allie, Christos Gage, Nicholas Brendon & more discussed the present and future of Dark Horse's Whedonverse comics during Comic-Con.

Marc Buxton, Contributing Writer

Joss Whedon's name might currently be associated with Marvel Cinematic Universe, but to his longtime fans, it was the Whedonverse that made the creator a trusted name in genre entertainment. In recent years, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Angel" and "Serenity" have transitioned from television to comics, courtesy of publisher Dark Horse Comics, and at Comic-Con International in San Diego 2014, the Whedonverse's top writers, editors and artists gathered to inform fans what the future holds for their favorite slayers, vampires and space outlaws.

Panelists included Dark Horse editor Scott Allie; original "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" actor and "Buffy Season 10" co-writer Nicholas Brendon; "Season 10" scribe Christos Gage; television veteran and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" executive producer Jane Espenson; and "Serenity" artist Georges Jeanty.

Allie kicked off events by introducing "The Whedon Three Way," a one-shot one dollar comic designed to give a chance fir "big 'Buffy,' 'Angel' or 'Serenity' fans who aren't up to date on the comics to read "Buffy: Season 8" #1," "Angel & Faith" #1 and "Serenity: Leaves on the Wind" #1" all for one dollar." Addressing the tongue and cheek title, Allie said, "We were trying to come up with a way that a title could encompass all of these things. I asked Joss and he shot the title back to me, to which I said, 'That's great, I think people will love it.' We put it together, we sent it to him -- he tends to write back slower these days -- and he went, 'Oh dear lord, you're going with that [title]?'" "The Whedon Three Way" will hit stores this Fall to coincide with the release of the first collections of "Buffy Season 10."

Moving on, Gage laid out some background on what's coming up for "Buffy Season 10."

"[With] Season 8, things got very cosmic," Gage said. "With season 9, [Joss] said he wanted to get down to Earth -- or as down to Earth as the Buffyverse gets. Buffy has always been about people going through life -- stages people can relate to -- they are just doing it with supernatural monsters and aliens."

Gage then went on the inform the crowd where the cast of Buffy are in their own lives. "They are in the post college, early adulthood years and having to make decisions that are going to affect the rest of their lives," He said. "We're dramatizing that in the Vampyre book, which Giles gave to Buffy in season one, now that magic is not on Earth, words in the book are slowly beginning to be filled in. Our guys begin to realize it is their responsibility to write the rules of magic … which terrifies them, but if they don't do it, someone else may not be as nice." Gage said, like all people, it's time for the cast of "Buffy" to "put on their big boy pants."

Allie then moved on to Gage's co-writer, Nicholas Brendon, who discussed what it's like revisiting characters he hadn't seen in quite some time. "[I have] a hard time writing for the other characters, because I know Alyson [Hannigan] as Alyson, because I saw more Alyson than I saw Willow, but Xander and this guy Nickie are very much alike," he said. "I'm really good at Xander, I'm really good at Giles because he's now a kid."

In terms of adapting the Buffyverse for an ongoing Dark Horse series, Allie said it all started with Joss Whedon's initial conception, and bringing on Espenson. "But with 'Season 9,' we began this writers' summit at Joss's house," he said.

Brendon got to take part in the "Season 10" summit and was amazed by the power of a writer' room. Sticking to the topic, Allie asked Espenson how the "Buffy" writers room worked compared to television.

"The 'Buffy' room was so unique in that it was so very top down, all the big ideas came from Joss and the rest of the writers scampered underneath him with baskets trying to catch the ideas," Espenson said. "In other writers rooms like 'Battlestar Galactica,' ['Battlestar' creator] Ronald Moore would craft the narrative and the rest tried to bounce of this thing … and I feel the same thing happened in the [comics] room when Joss is there, everyone is talking, but when Joss says, 'Ahem,' everyone listens to Joss … the magic of Joss is the universe he built."

The questions then moved to artist Georges Jeanty, who recently transitioned from the monthly "Buffy" comic to "Serenity." Allie asked the artist if he was still reading "Buffy."

"Now that I'm not involved in the book in any way I can actually read it as a fan … but it does feel a little like I'm watching my girlfriend with some other guy," Jeanty said. "Rebekah Isaacs is a great artist and the book is in capable hands, but it's not in my hands."

However, Jeanty is still in Whedonverse territory with "Serenity," currently written by Zack Whedon and supervised by Joss Whedon. "There was a familiarity," Jeanty said. "I really approached 'Serenity' with an eye of, let me get away from 'Buffy' … because of that I think the book definitely struck a different cord, it had the echo of Joss and that universe … it was a lot harder to draw that particular book."

Following that particular track, Allie asked the panel if there is a difference between "Buffy" fans and "Serenity fans.

"It's hard to imagine someone who likes 'Buffy' but not 'Firefly,'" Espenson said, pointing out that the setting really differentiates the two. The world of the Buffyverse could be the world outside the door, but "Firefly" -- even though it is filled with relatable and human characters -- is still in outer space.

Jeanty added that with "Serenity," "the interest might be more intense because we only had fourteen episodes and a movie."

"With 'Buffy,' we had seven years," Jeanty continued. "With 'Serenity,' it was cut short and the idea that these characters could go one for a good seven years or ten years is very evident. I think we will only see that in comic books." Espenson agreed, adding that the difference between the two fan bases is that it's "people who like potential versus people who like completion."

Jeanty is set to move over to "Batwoman" with writer Mark Andreyko, which will soon ("oddly enough," as Jeanty put it) be incorporating vampires. Even though Jeanty is moving to DC, Allie assured fans the artist will still work in the Whedonverse in some capacity.

Allie steered the panel back to the "Buffy" comic, and upcoming arc "Return to Sunnydale," which begins in "Buffy Season 10" #8. Gage called the newest arc "a great point for people who liked the show but lost track of the comics to look in and see what they think." Gage noted the opening issue contains "three wonderful pages by the legendary Richard Corben," an artistic hero of Gage's. Allie added that getting Corben to draw "Buffy" was a "career high."

Allie told a funny story about how Dark Horse wanted to do an "Odd Couple" cover with Xander and Spike as Felix and Oscar, but no one could decide who was who. Understandably, the story transitioned into "Buffy: Season 10" #7, which returns to the idea of Spike and Xander as roommates. Gage said the issue was inspired by the stories Brendon told of how much fun he had on the show during the period where his character and Spike (James Marsters) were roommates.

"Buffy does not have a large physical presence [in issue #7], but she looms large," said Gage. Looking a bit into the future, the "Season 10" scribe informed the Whedon faithful that issues #8 and #9 are Buffy-focused, with Andrew coming closer to the forefront -- with Espenson consulting on his dialogue.

As the panel transitioned to audience Q&A, the writers discussed their process for building complex worlds -- especially those created by Whedon.

"I just like to let Joss Whedon do it," Gage joked. "This is the same as characters I have been reading a long time, characters like Spider-Man. I know what Spider-Man is going to do because he's so well established. It's the same way with the Buffyverse characters because they're so well established by everyone that's done them before that. I feel I know how Spike would react to this or what Faith would do in this situation … when there's a strong voice you kind of know."

"People have lost how inherently funny the title 'Buffy, the Vampire Slayer' is. Starting with an inherent contradiction like that is a great place to start building a complicated character," Espenson added.

In terms of the influence working in the Whedonverse has on other work, the panelists noted that there was quite a bit of crossover. "I, all the time, find myself writing in Joss's voice," Espenson said. "Once you got Whedon voice in your head, you want to keep it there as long as you can." Gage agreed, saying, "When I was writing a book for Marvel called 'Avengers Academy," there was a lot of thematic emotional crossover with the Buffyverse that really informed the book."

Allie continued the conversation, noting that Whedon taught him to never let a story be simply about the action. Gage added that Joss once said, "If something doesn't happen to a character we care about, you just don't care."

"Dollhouse" was another topic that came up during the Q&A -- to thunderous applause. Much of the universe of "Dollhouse" was expanded by Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, and according to Allie, "The problem with writers that work with Joss Whedon is that they tend to get these amazing careers, and they look at comic book money and they say, 'Um, oh.'" While there are currently plans in place for more "Dollhouse" comics, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen are currently busy as showrunners for "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

However, there's still more goodness on the way for fans of the collected "Buffy" comics -- Allie stated that oversized editions of "Season 9" are coming soon, and plans are in place to collect "Season 10" after all the trade paperback collections have been released. The "Season 9" hardcovers will also contain the "Willow" and "Spike" solo books.

Speaking of "Willow" and "Spike," Allie also addressed possible plans for more solo series in the Buffyverse.

"There is a lot of potential there but we are really trying to tell focused stories and if a great arc comes up … if we really feel we need to address a character … with 'Season 9,' the 'Spike' series and the 'Willow' series did things that needed to be done narratively that couldn't have been done in one of the books," said Allie. "So, with Angel moving to England and doing what he's doing there, there's not been an opportunity to address other characters." The editor went on the mention Conner, who is currently "kind of living his life," a sentiment with which Gage agreed.

"Conner deserves a normal and happy life which would be super boring to read about," Gage said. The writer also confirmed that Harmony and Clem will show up in "Buffy Season 10."

Wrapping the panel, Espenson gave some quick advice to aspiring writers. "One rule of writing: if you hear it, don't write it," she said.

ETA

Fun little teaser for Buffyfest Scott Allie interview going up tomorrow.

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2014/0...ew-teaser.html

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Scott Allie Interview Teaser!

Coming up tomorrow, don't miss our #SDCC continuing covering where Dark Horse Editor-in-Chief Scott Allie reveals all! Robert Pattinson will cry tears of joy, Sesame Street will throw a block party. Our Comic Con coverage isn't even close to being done yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvUwx2UAecc

Last edited by comic fan; 07-30-2014 at 10:25 AM
Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Angel & Faith # 5.

Comics Continuum: Dark Horse Comics First Looks

FIRST LOOK: ANGEL & FAITH SEASON 10 #5

Written by: Victor Gischler.

Art by: Derlis Santacruz.

Covers by: Scott Fischer, Chris Samnee, Jordie Bellaire.

Description: Angel is plagued by nightmares and another menace for the streets of London: The new vampires, like the zompires before them, are leaving a trail of victims for the local police and Angel to pursue . . .

Pages: 32.

Price: $3.50.

In stores: August 6.

ETA

Buffyfest Scott Allie interview from SDCC14.

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2014/0...se-editor.html

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Exclusive Interview: Dark Horse Editor-in-Chief Scott Allie at SDCC 2014

It was a wild and frantic Friday night at San Diego Comic Con. Parties were raging, traffic was bumper-to-bumper, the Hall H line for the next day's Marvel panel was longer than we'd ever seen it... stretching all the way across the bridge, INTO the bay area, past the basketball courts (for SDCC virgins, this is an area where it should never be!)

Directly above, in a cush room at the Hilton Bayfront overlooking this crazy scene, sat a semi-tired (but still totally on point) Scott Allie, Editor-in-Chief at Dark Horse Comics and overall Buffy boss. He's been doing this SDCC thing for over 20 years; perhaps this is why he seemed largely unfazed by the near-apocalyptic level of energy around him. We grilled him about all things Buffy Season 10. Check out the resulting interview below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9T609rGShw

After our interview ended at 2 am, we decided to brave the Hall H scene to finish shooting a little documentary about that mess. As we were leaving, we asked Scott if he was going to sleep for the night. His response? "Nah, I'll walk out with you guys... I'm going to meet up with some colleagues at the Gaslight."

What can we say? That Super Scott Allie, he's a pro.

Bullet points.

1)Christos has finalized isuse 11.Victor has notes on isuse 9 of A & F and turned in a first draft of issue 10.

2)Talks about CG and RI work on Buffy vs A & F and how NB co-writes with CG.Talks a bit about how James worked on his Spike story.Talks how which arcs Nick will co-write(Not necessarly having to be Xander centric.Kicked around doing an other story with Jamers marsters if james has one and how much time he has but he wants to do another one.

3)Other Buffy alumni-no real plans or openings right now.

4)Wanted to keep the number of characters down for Buffy in season 10.They won't be introducing lots of new characters.With Angel & Faith their is more opening to do that this season partially because Angel & Faith are separated.They can't play off of each other so they need new characters to fill that void.

4)Angel & Faith will be seeing the return of a significant character very soon as a major part of the story.

5)There aren't plans to fully resurrect Anya.Many feel the resurrection card is well played out(YES lol).The Anya situation is a very cool thing.

6)Spike is sticking around this season.That was the plan too in season 9 but they found in season 9 they didn't really have anything important for him to do and he was too important to just have him stick around as window dressing.They could get away with that with a character like Andrew who is a much more minor character(Scott also says Andrew does have a character arc).Spike to be there just to be there wasn't good which is why they gave him a miniseries last season.They made sure at the seaso n10 writer summit they came up with more story stuff for Spike.There is more meat on Spike's story this time and more meat on Xander's story.They were both shortchanged in season 9.

7)Season 10 has a lot to do with how young adults stat to define our life for ourselves..We look at what's missing and what we want and try to fortify the good stuff.
Family and friendship has always been what's Buffy is about but more so in season 10.

8)It's too early to talk about season 11.They have nothing for season 11 at this point.They are 10 issues into a 30 issue story.They know pretty much how season 10 will end and pretty much how they will get there but honestly the process(the writers submit) leaves a lot to figure out.There is a lot figured out and a lot not.There major focus is focusing on getting through each major chapter.So while they sort of know where everyone will be at the end of season 10,it's way too early to start thinking about what comes next.

Last edited by comic fan; 07-31-2014 at 03:27 PM
Reply   Post New Thread