Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 10:51 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Joyce's death wasn't sad. She was a brainless insensitive self-righteous pain in the ass who kicked Buffy out of the house and gave out crap to her when she came back. Joyce's death was long overdue. The ep was pretentious and fake.
Joyce didn't kick Buffy out of the house. She said, "If you walk out of this house don't even think about coming back" because she was trying to scare Buffy into staying and not going out and possibly getting killed. Parents say things like that all the time. Parents aren't perfect! Joyce was a wonderfully pleasant character and I was sad to see her go! I felt The Body was an absolutely AWESOME episode even if it wasn't going in the shows normal flow of things. I think that's what makes it special.

Anyway...

I didn't like...
Doublemeat Palace
Bad Eggs wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great
I didn't really like Beneath You except for the Spike scenes

I'm sure there are more...but it happens with any show you watch! Buffy was a great show and I'm sad it's over, but glad it happened!
girl, interrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl, interrupted (View Post)
Joyce didn't kick Buffy out of the house. She said, "If you walk out of this house don't even think about coming back" because she was trying to scare Buffy into staying and not going out and possibly getting killed. Parents say things like that all the time. Parents aren't perfect! Joyce was a wonderfully pleasant character and I was sad to see her go! I felt The Body was an absolutely AWESOME episode even if it wasn't going in the shows normal flow of things. I think that's what makes it special.
Joyce kicked Buffy out of the house. She knew Buffy had to go out again and would go out again and she still told her not to come back if she did. That's kicking her out as far as I'm concerned. Joyce was about as "wonderfully pleasant" as a meal of cow dung (I've never had one but I'm told they're not pleasant). Joyce was a pain in the ass and a part of the general trend of mothers being portrayed negatively on tv. It was hardly a case of a parent being just "not perfect" -she had zero brains, was totally insenstive and treated Buffy like crap in various parts of season 2 and 3. I have trouble believing that reject really was Buffy's biological mother. I wish they'd given Buffy at least one good parent but as it is I'm left wondering if she was adopted.
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Joyce kicked Buffy out of the house. She knew Buffy had to go out again and would go out again and she still told her not to come back if she did. That's kicking her out as far as I'm concerned. Joyce was about as "wonderfully pleasant" as a meal of cow dung (I've never had one but I'm told they're not pleasant). Joyce was a pain in the ass and a part of the general trend of mothers being portrayed negatively on tv. It was hardly a case of a parent being just "not perfect" -she had zero brains, was totally insenstive and treated Buffy like crap in various parts of season 2 and 3. I have trouble believing that reject really was Buffy's biological mother. I wish they'd given Buffy at least one good parent but as it is I'm left wondering if she was adopted.
Wow. Bash much? She just found out vampires exist and her only child was choosen to kill them. My mom would have me commited. Joyce reacted normally even better than most would. She obviously didnt mean for Buffy to not come back since she cried when she did realize she left.

Anyhoo I also think Beer Bad wasnt that good. But SMG was funny in it.
soul_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_rebel (View Post)
Wow. Bash much? She just found out vampires exist and her only child was choosen to kill them. My mom would have me commited. Joyce reacted normally even better than most would. She obviously didnt mean for Buffy to not come back since she cried when she did realize she left.
Joyce reacted like a self-righteous idiot. Like the self-righteous idiot she was.

Quote:
Anyhoo I also think Beer Bad wasnt that good. But SMG was funny in it.
SMG was very funny in Beer Bad.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Obsessed Fan

She was hardly an idiot.

Speaking of Joyce I just thought of more parts of BTVS I laughed at...off to go post.
soul_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:55 AM
New Fan

Quote:
She was hardly an idiot.

Speaking of Joyce I just thought of more parts of BTVS I laughed at...off to go post.
I couldn't agree more!!!
girl, interrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Joyce was a TOTAL idiot.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You are making me curious. is there any characters you actually liked?
Callace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Joyce's death was sad. It was TOO sad. And I didn't like the episode because it was too different to any other Buffy episode. It was TOO true-to-life, and I didn't like it.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:39 AM
Extreme Fan

Interesting thread.

Quote:
*waits for someone to mention Doublemeat Palace*
Consider it mentioned.

Quote:
Joyce was a TOTAL idiot.
Let's try and keep it constructive, here...this isn't an anti Joyce thread, afterall That said...

Quote:
SMG was very funny in Beer Bad.
Agreed!

All the posts about people not really caring that Joyce died...I was moved by the episode because it clearly pained Buffy so much, whom I *do* care about. Definitely not rated as a bad episode, IMO

Angel: I love you.
Buffy: I love you.
Angel: Nothing can change that. Not even death.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
While some BTVS episodes aren't as good as other I have to say that the worst episodes of Buffy are probably 5xs better than half the crap on TV now.
Quote:
I loved, like loved " The Body" I thought that episode was on of the best hours of television ever. Everything about it, the way it was filmed, from the acting and to the whole feeling of it. It was beautiful.
Very well put.

Angel: I love you.
Buffy: I love you.
Angel: Nothing can change that. Not even death.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue (View Post)
Let's try and keep it constructive, here...this isn't an anti Joyce thread, afterall That said...
I was being constructive. Somebody claimed that Joyce wasn't an idiot. I considered that patently false and I feel that she was in fact a total idiot so I stated that. It was meant to convey that she was an idiot all around, which is what I feel. It's as constructive as any other point made here. Joyce demonstrated herself to be a fool again and again. She didn't have much upstairs. Even her being friends with Spike was really just her stupidity, her not being switched on to how dangerous he was. She acted like he wasn't the dangerous vampire he was because she'd been introduced to him as something else and she never got past that. She was like sombody walking around in a daze, she never fully woke up to the world. The lights never went on upstairs. She was stuck in her narrow rut and she couldn't see outside of it. I think that was designed that way originally for comic effect but it could get very trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by callace (View Post)
You are making me curious. is there any characters you actually liked?
Plenty. Buffy, Dawn, Spike, Oz, Tara. And numerous non-regulars. Just because I don't like certain characters who I find to be a pain in the ass doesn't mean I don't like characters. And I liked Giles's music. Heck, Giles himself was ok a lot of the time, just not very interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue (View Post)
All the posts about people not really caring that Joyce died...I was moved by the episode because it clearly pained Buffy so much, whom I *do* care about.
Hey I care about Buffy too but that episode didn't connect you well with her. It was too much dependent on you feeling Joyce was more of a real person than she was. Joyce was a character who usually evoked no feeling (other than annoyance) so her passing couldn't evoke feeling and it was hard to connect with Buffy feeling for a character who made you feel nothing. If the character of Joyce had been done better you'd feel more for her. She'd have felt like a person, not like the flat nothing she often felt like. The character portrayal of Joyce was very faulty. And you can say she was Buffy's mother so Buffy would feel a lot over her passing but the reality is that some people DON'T feel a lot over their parents' passing, notably if the parent didn't really connect with them. And Joyce didn't really connect with the audience so it was hard to believe in Buffy's connection with her. The episode was dependent on a connection that didn't come across. And it kept bludgeoning you over the head with Joyce's death like it was shouting at you to feel all bothered over it when here was this character who couldn't evoke such feeling. It was forced and it tried heavy handedly to PUSH you into feeling something that it wasn't natural to feel. And it did so with a lot of pretention and pose. It was a really annoying ep.

Last edited by sum1; 01-27-2008 at 01:14 PM
Old 01-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Last edited by sum1; 01-27-2008 at 12:49 PM
Old 01-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ok. But Im kind of surprised that you included Giles, as you recently took the trouble of picking up a one year dead unapp-thread for him
Callace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Giles season 7 is a good enough reason for an unappreciation thread. And he was a pain in the ass various other times too, such as in I Was Made To Love You (the way he treated Spike) and Revelations (the crap he gave Buffy about Angel).
Reply   Post New Thread