Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Master Fan

Angel Episode Discussion 'Power Play' 5x21

From thewb.com

The gang starts to have doubts about Angel's (David Boreanaz) loyalties when he appears to have become very close with the Circle of the Black Thorn, an evil secret demon society. When Drogyn (guest star Alec Newman), the guardian of the deep well, makes a startling revelation, the gangs' fears that Angel has become evil seem to be validated.
Alexis Denisof, J. August Richards, Amy Acker, James Marsters, Andy Hallett and Mercedes McNab also star. Christian Kane makes a guest-starring appearance as Lindsay. James A. Contner directed the episode written by David Fury.

Twilight -- 12/12/2008

Last edited by Karbear3916; 05-11-2004 at 03:17 PM
Karbear3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Master Fan

From tvguide.com

Angel
Power Play
60 mins.

The gang fears that working at Wolfram & Hart has finally corrupted Angel after he chooses to work for an evil senatorial candidate rather than investigate the brutal murder of a young woman. Their concerns increase when Drogyn, keeper of the deep well, arrives badly wounded and claims that Angel sent an assassin to dispatch him. Sen. Brucker: Stacey Travis. Nina: Jenny Mollen. Drogyn: Alec Newman. Hamilton: Adam Baldwin. Lindsay: Christian Kane. Harmony: Mercedes McNab. Izzy: Mark Colson.

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Old 05-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Master Fan

Can't wait for this episode. Though the previews worry me with Nina and Angel in bed together. I hate how they are all the sudden in a "relationship". Hopefully the WB commercials are lying to me!
~*Magical*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:10 AM
Master Fan

Yeah the nina and angel thing disturb me just a bit but 13 hours to go and counting!

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Old 05-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Passionate Fan

I thought that Angel can't have intimacy or he will turn into Angelous again. That is what happened with Buffy and why he and Cordelia could not connect.
Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Master Fan

No i though the same thing but apparently he can still sleep with people and not have happiness. Like he did with Darla back in season 2 and they had Connor. It can happen

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Old 05-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Addicted Fan

yeah abd besides they dont have to u no.. they could just sleep

anywho onyl a few more hours! im sooo sad only 2 more hourse of quality tv left and then the WB will brun they will have really bad ratings

Bhery
Old 05-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Master Fan

Bhery is your avie of Illyria and spike? I loved that scene. Oh yes everyone will be tuning into Angel tonight!!!! But its up against american idol so i think we'll have some problems Only 2 in a half hours.

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Old 05-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Addicted Fan

arrrgh!!! we need more time!! one more ep is not enough!!!

"For your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?"
**Carrie** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Obsessed Fan

AWESOME EPISODE.

Cliffe Notes version for clarity:

This had so much going for it that I don't know where to start.

-A lot of us figured Angel was "playing" the SP and Hamilton...

Now, the big question of the hour is does Hamilton KNOW what Angel and crew are up to? Can he see through the glamour?

-Tons of thematic and visual imagery

*Angel playing racketball with the Devil (playing by the rules; playing the game)

*Social Political overtones mirroring real life (the Senator; Manchurian Candidate mind control stuff)

*Cordy giving Angel the power to see (visions; the ultimate link to TPB: Himself)

*Angel's "pep talk" with the big reveal in his office under the glamour

-It did come back to Illyria's quote from last episode about absolute power (Angel realized the SP exert absolute power, but don't actually physically control things on this plane; "the devil made me do it" ; The Devil Fooled mankind into thinking he (they)existed)

-It acknowledges the one basic truth about mankind: CHOICE.

(more relevant socio-political mirroring of reality and what is going on RIGHT NOW in the U.S.)

-It acknowledged that evil (SP) will always be around, but the degree to which it exerts control is all up to CHOICE on our parts.

-Heroes don't accept the world and make sure it's Hell for Evil.

*Turning tragedy into triumph

-Fred and Cordy's deaths will not be in vain

*Cut off the body and the Head will follow (die)

-Instead of taking on the SP... Take on their "wheel men" here on Earth and send a big message of "No more!"

-One act of defiance can grow into a revolution; One Voice can make a difference

-----

That's all I can think of right now.

One episode left... Who thinks the one that doesn't survive... Is Angel? Makes poetic sense doesn't it? Hmm....
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Master Fan

so sad

I'm so sad I don't even know if I can post about this episode yet. I loved it.

This ep makes Angel's actions in Time Bomb make a lot more sense. He was playing a long with them. Who would have thought that Cordelia's kiss to Angel would give him a vision? I loved that. And it makes her coming back so much more important and special. At first we thought it was just to get him back on track, and it was. But in actuality it was to give him that vision so he could see what he had to do.

I never doubted for a second that Angel was really joining that group. And I love it how the gang kept trying to find reasons for Angel's actions. They didn't want to believe that he was becoming corrupt. Wesley's continued belief in Angel even after he found out Angel could have been the reason for Fred's death was especially powerful.

Angel killing that Drogyn guy was unfortunate. But I guess that guy was already dead anyways(or he would be). It doesn't make it any better. But you watch shows like 24 where people(characters) die to save millions. You see Angel sacrifice Fred to save millions of people between her body and the whole in the world.

Ok, the scene I didn't get was Angel's scene with Nina about her going out of the country. When he said he'd meet with her after the battle and she said he lies horribly. Was he lying because he didn't believe he would make it or because he didn't want to meet her. Like he really didn't believe that anything could happen between them in the future.. like a real relationship?

Finally, I loved, loved, loved the final scene of the episode. Our boys all in the group deciding that they will sacrifice their lives to destroy the Circle of the Black Thorn. Angel's speech was powerful and I loved how it tied in all of these loose ends from the season. But the biggest thing I loved was when he gave them all a choice in the matter. He couldn't force them to do it but he couldn't do it without them. I loved that.

Only one ep left. It sure is going out with a bang. I don't know how the WB is cancelling this show when it is still so powerful. But atleast it is going out on top.
~*Magical*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Loyal Fan

I wasn't sure what to think of the 1st half of this Episode But the 2nd half was better. I wish we had more time to give Angel a proper ending, Hope those Tv movies pan out cause there will be alot of lose ends to tie up.

I'm gettin Sad dont want angel to end
BabelyBehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:17 PM
New Fan

episode 20

One of the best episodes of the entire season. If I wasn't sad about angel being cancelled before I certainly am now. David Boreanaz Rocks!
Martina Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Addicted Fan

ugh, i wish the preview hadn't told us that one of angel's inner circle was going to die. it's going to be hard enough to deal with the death of a character, but now we have to worry for the next week about which character that will be. i'm going to end up mourning for every one for the next week!! i really cannot believe this series is coming to an end. it's just wrong.

"For your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?"
**Carrie** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love this episode. This episode was really good.

I love the part where Spike was like.. "intercouses? Oh, OH, you mean communication."

LMAO!

I am sad that next week is the end!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread