Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Elite Fan

Angel episode discussion 2x08: The Shroud of Rahmon

The episode starts out with Wesley being interrogated by police officers. A body has been found without a head & a female officer may die. Wesley is acting a bit mental, babbling incoherently. The police officers ask Wesley to tell them what happened. He answers: "it all went horribly wrong." He then recounts what happened. Gunn's cousin is in trouble. He's supposed to be a driver for a job that seems too big for him to get involved in. Angel poses as someone involved in the job, Gunn poses as his cousin & they go to do the job- rob a shroud from a museum. Meanwhile, Cordelia & Wesley figure out what the job is- it's to steal this shroud that makes people go insane. They go to the museum to stop the stealers. They are too late & get caught up in the insanity. Meanwhile, Kate gets tipped off about the job &, hearing Angel's involved, goes to the museum to stop Angel. Angel & co. steal the shroud. Things get a little heavy, a guard involved in the heist gets his head knocked off & then Kate shows up. Angel is a little insane & bites Kate. She falls to the ground. Cops break in & Wesley gets taken in because he is found hovering over Kate. The robbers have gotten away. With the full force of the shroud upon them, they bicker & fight among themselves, but Angel gets a hold of himself long enough to burn the shroud. Wesley is back at the police station rehashing what he knows about what went on. The officers don't buy his limited involvement & almost arrest him, but in comes Kate, who has survived, & tells them to let Wesley go. Later, alone, Kate remembers the incident. Angel chows down on her neck, but whispers in her ear to pretend she's dead so the demonic robbers don't kill her. At the end, Angel sits down after a long day at work, remembering his little snack with fondness.

------
From Buffyworld.com
Old 11-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

THE SHROUD OF RAHMON

The Good;
Very little, like Angel's Ja'Don impression and some nice Kate stuff but that's about all.
The Bad;
Cordy's hair is awful, she looks like Courtney Cox after a bad perm. The rest of the episode is pretty awful, the whole Wes interrogated by the cops technique really not working at all. If the Shroud is so powerful and destructive how could it have survived for so long?
Best line:
Angel " I could use a sweater, something dark"
Jeez, how did they get away with that?
The twisting of the guard's neck. The story of the city's population going insane with mother's killing their children is also horrible.
Apocalypses: 4
Angel Cliches
Damsel in distress; 17
Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
In disguise;
As Jay-Don so 7
DB get's his shirt off; 10
Cordy's tattoo;3
Cheap Angel;
Fang Gang in bondage: Wes handcuffed
Cordy: 5
Angel: 8
Wes: 3

Fang gang knocked out:
Cordy: 10
Angel: 12
Wes: 5
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Kills:
Cordy: 5 vamps, 1½ demons
Angel; 17 vamps, 18 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 1/2 a demon
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 5 vamps+ 1 demon.
Fang Gang go evil:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 6

Characters killed: the corrupt security guard
Recurring characters killed;
4;
Total number of Angel Investigations:
4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Angel Investigations shot:Angel by Kate
Angel: 10
Packing heat;
Wes; 2
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast
Angel: 1;Buffy
Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:
Kate finally get's what she always wanted deep down, Angel bites her under the influence of the shroud and she appears to orgasm against her will as a result just as Buffy did in Graduation Day pt2. Afterwards she seems almost bent to his will, finally able to forgive him for what's happened to her father and letting Wesley go. Apparently the things bringing in the chicks are 'the dough and the ride'. Wes says he's 'Good with the ladies himself'
Captain Subtext;
Angel mistakes Kate for Darla. Hmmmm? Kate also has a pic of her dad on her desk. Where's her mum? Gunn refers to vamps killing his sister.
Know the face, different character; 2
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Buffy characters on Angel; 13
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master
Questions and observations;
Angel is a Chow Yun Fat fan, again weird when he was supposed to be a street tramp when he was at the height of his fame (Hard Boiled). If Wes wasn't under arrest before, why was he at the police station? We have the first appearance the tranquliser guns. Noted character actor Tony Todd (Candyman, Babylon 5, Night of the Living Dead etc) appears here almost unrecognisable as one of the demons. Is the head of the robbery gang human or demon? Jay-Don ran with the Rat-Pack as apparently Angel did during his Manilow phase according to 'The House Always Wins'. Kate is the first human Angel has fed on since Buffy in Graduation Day pt2.
Marks out of 10; 3/10, in my honest opinion the worst episode of Angel EVER!
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I'm not sure what to make of this episode. A LOT was going on and the whole heist thing made me anxious. Especially when the shroud started making them all go crazy. My heart stopped when Angel, under the influence of the shroud, started to bite Kate. My relief when it turned out he managed to snap out of it for a moment just to tell her to act dead. I was terrified he had accidentally turned her or something. And again relief when Angel finally knew how to destroy the shroud by setting it on fire. I did enjoy when Angel pretended to be Ja'Don, all loud and colourful 'cause that was so not him lol. And I did like Wesley and Angel's reaction to Cordy's new hair. Besides that, not one of my favourite episodes.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not a great episode, but Angel's undercover performance was good and it did have Tony Todd.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Angel was fun undercover.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by fanforum~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 06:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Indeed. As Bones showed, Boreanaz is in his element when he's allowed to let his hair down and have some fun. It's a pity they didn't allow him to do that more often on Angel.
Old 11-30-2023, 03:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

He really is.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by fanforum~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread