Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Elite Fan

Angel episode discussion 2x05: Dear Boy

The line between dreams and reality begins to mess as Angel is more and more consumed by dreams of Darla. So much so that he confesses to Cordelia and Wesley about the dreams. On a job, Angel sees Darla, only the person who looks so much like Darla can go into the sunlight. Wesley & Cordelia believe it isn't Darla, but Angel's convinced it's her- the woman had Darla's scent. Angel goes to stalk Darla, who is posing as a human. Let me explain this: Wolfram & Hart kill a couple & hire an actor to play the husband & then have Darla pose as the wife. When Angel is stalking Darla, they have a vamp kill the actor and then Darla plays the saint- that he her husband was dead, that Angel killed him & that Angel had been stalking her for weeks calling her "Darla". Of course, Kate goes off & tries to arrest Angel. Later, Wesley, Gunn, and Cordelia convince Kate that, duh, if the owners of the house we're still alive Angel couldn't have gotten into the house uninvited. Meanwhile, Angel kidnaps Darla & takes her to an underground watertank for a little chat. She plays the part for a while, & then puts down the front when Angel transforms into vamp face & kisses her. Angel gets a hold of himself, & tries to tell Darla that now that she has a soul all her memories of massacring will haunt her. She says that all Angel has to do to is let her give him a moment of true happiness and they'll be happy together again. Angel tells her that sex with her wouldn't revert him back to his former self because he doesn't, & has never, loved her- because he didn't have a soul before. Darla tries to convince him that his darkness is innate & that his dark side wants out. The sun rises, Darla taunts Angel with the nasty things he said in his sleep. He gets angry & grabs her by the neck, she pulls out a cross and puts it on his chest. She says: "No matter how good a boy you are God doesn't want you." They let go of the strongholds & Darla says: "But I still do" & walks off into the daylight.

----------
From Buffyworld.com
Old 05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

God. I love this episode a lot.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Master Fan

i loved the hair sniffage and touching even if it feaked cordy out

also love cordy's pet me i/m a whore outfit and when the client came in (that whole scene just had me rolling

HAROLD: I really need some help. They say he handles things. You know, unusual things. I'd like to see him right away.
CORDELIA: And he wants to see you, just as soon as he returns from an important case. Why don't I take a preliminary report and give you a list of our convenient payment plans.
HAROLD: Well, it's my wife, Claire, she's really a lovely...
WESLEY: Go on, it's all right.
HAROLD: She gets abducted by aliens, on a regular basis.
WESLEY: Aliens?
CORDELIA: From outer space?
HAROLD: It's more common than people realize - one minute she's there and the next - she always comes back in a day or so.
WESLEY: What is it you'd like us to do, Mr. Jeakins?
HAROLD: I trust Claire - but I found this receipt from the Franklin Hotel, weekend before last when she was supposed to be in the Trifid Nebula!
CORDELIA: I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this.
HAROLD: I mean if it's not aliens... (sees angel) Is that? (Wes nods and got to say i love the proud look on wes' face here)
CORDELIA: Mr. Jeakins, say hello to your new best friend.
HAROLD: Do you think my wife's cheating on me?
ANGEL: (keeps walking) Probably.
CORDELIA: Oh, he really likes you, he's jumping right in.
HAROLD: He's taking...? He didn't seem that...
WESLEY: Oh, he's aneccentric,(wes walking him out) all the great ones are. Sherlock Holmes, Phillip Marlowe...
HAROLD: Those are fictional characters.
WESLEY: Yes, right you are! Which gives Angel rather a leg up when you come to think of it.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

DEAR BOY
The Good;
All the Angel and Darla stuff and the Kate stuff. Love the cheating wife subplot too.
The Bad;
?
Best line:
"God doesn't want you, but I do"
Jeez, how did they get away with that?
Awful scene between Darla and Angelus whilst driving Dru mad. She is a virgin and a saint, how different her life could have been. Darla grabbing/killing the actor.
Apocalypses: 4
Angel Cliches
Damsel in distress; 17
Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
In disguise;
Whilst surveiling the cheating wife in the hotel so 6
DB get's his shirt off; 10
Cordy's tattoo;3
Cheap Angel; AI jump at the chance of a paying client Cordy noting he has Mastercard etc. Angel asks Wes if he has any money he can lend him for Caritas
Fang Gang in bondage:
Cordy: 5
Angel: 8
Wes: 2

Fang gang knocked out:
Cordy: 10
Angel: 12
Wes: 5
Doyle; 1
Kills: one demon for Gunn
Cordy: 5 vamps, 1½ demons
Angel; 17 vamps, 18 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 1/2 a demon
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 5 vamps + 1 demon.
Fang Gang go evil:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang:
Angel: 6

Characters killed: 3, the actor, the Lord and the Streetwalker
Recurring characters killed;
4;
Total number of Angel Investigations:
4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Angel Investigations shot: Angel shot by the cops who respond to the call
Angel: 9,
Packing heat; we have the first appearance the tranquliser guns.
Wes; 4
Doyle; 2
Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast
Angel: 1;Buffy
Wes; 1 bleached blonde according to Angel and to the amazement of Cordy

Kinky dinky:
Angel forces himself on Darla but being Darla she revels in it. "You're hurting me, I like it". Angel tells Darla she can 'Scream all she wants'. Darla says she's pretty familar with the international sign for 'enough' whilst Angel says what they did together 'blew the top of my head off'. Angel has 'a thing for convents', hmmm? The nuns or the teenage schoolgirls in uniforms? Darla kills the streetwalker even though she was one herself. Angel smells Cordy's hair, the first hint of Cangel. When Angel refers to his love Cordy thinks he's talking about Buffy. Cordy's 'Pet me I'm a whore' outfit certainly fits the bill. Angel observes that Wes has recently had sex with a bleach blonde, probably the girl from 'Judgement', much to Cordelia's incredulity. Buffy the cheerleader gave Angel a happiness Darla couldn't give, maybe Darla should get the costume and some pompoms?
Captain Subtext;
In fanfic the bleach blonde Wes had sex with is often Spike. Lorne refers to his bartender Ramon as a 'treasure'.
Know the face, different character; 2
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Buffy characters on Angel; Dru for the first time 12
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru
Questions and observations;
Angel is 247 years old and now a coffee addict contrary to what was stated in The Prom. Great ep, the renewal of the Angel/Darla relationship and it's terrific on all levels, great things to come. Angel seems to have established a reputation as a PI for the superanatural, AI's spying on the cheating wife is quite professional with listening devices, mini-camera's, the works. In the Buffyverse there appear to be no aliens (what about the Queller demon from season 5?). Kate is now a pariah in the LAPD but is still loved by her friends and colleagues. Lorne is back for the first time in a while. Some great satire on Hollywood actors. Gunn has a long and colourful record with LAPD.
Marks out of 10; 9/10
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Part-Time Fan

DEAR BOY
The Good;
All the Angel and Darla stuff and the Kate stuff. Love the cheating wife subplot too.
The Bad;
?
Best line:
"God doesn't want you, but I do"
Jeez, how did they get away with that?
Awful scene between Darla and Angelus whilst driving Dru mad. She is a virgin and a saint, how different her life could have been. Darla grabbing/killing the actor.
Apocalypses: 4
Angel Cliches
Damsel in distress; 17
Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
In disguise;
Whilst surveiling the cheating wife in the hotel so 6
DB get's his shirt off; 10
Cordy's tattoo;3
Cheap Angel; AI jump at the chance of a paying client Cordy noting he has Mastercard etc. Angel asks Wes if he has any money he can lend him for Caritas
Fang Gang in bondage:
Cordy: 5
Angel: 8
Wes: 2

Fang gang knocked out:
Cordy: 10
Angel: 12
Wes: 5
Doyle; 1
Kills: one demon for Gunn
Cordy: 5 vamps, 1½ demons
Angel; 17 vamps, 18 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 1/2 a demon
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 5 vamps + 1 demon.
Fang Gang go evil:
Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang:
Angel: 6

Characters killed: 3, the actor, the Lord and the Streetwalker
Recurring characters killed;
4;
Total number of Angel Investigations:
4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Angel Investigations shot: Angel shot by the cops who respond to the call
Angel: 9,
Packing heat; we have the first appearance the tranquliser guns.
Wes; 4
Doyle; 2
Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast
Angel: 1;Buffy
Wes; 1 bleached blonde according to Angel and to the amazement of Cordy

Kinky dinky:
Angel forces himself on Darla but being Darla she revels in it. "You're hurting me, I like it". Angel tells Darla she can 'Scream all she wants'. Darla says she's pretty familar with the international sign for 'enough' whilst Angel says what they did together 'blew the top of my head off'. Angel has 'a thing for convents', hmmm? The nuns or the teenage schoolgirls in uniforms? Darla kills the streetwalker even though she was one herself. Angel smells Cordy's hair, the first hint of Cangel. When Angel refers to his love Cordy thinks he's talking about Buffy. Cordy's 'Pet me I'm a whore' outfit certainly fits the bill. Angel observes that Wes has recently had sex with a bleach blonde, probably the girl from 'Judgement', much to Cordelia's incredulity. Buffy the cheerleader gave Angel a happiness Darla couldn't give, maybe Darla should get the costume and some pompoms?
Captain Subtext;
In fanfic the bleach blonde Wes had sex with is often Spike. Lorne refers to his bartender Ramon as a 'treasure'.
Know the face, different character; 2
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Buffy characters on Angel; Dru for the first time 12
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru
Questions and observations;
Angel is 247 years old and now a coffee addict contrary to what was stated in The Prom. Great ep, the renewal of the Angel/Darla relationship and it's terrific on all levels, great things to come. Angel seems to have established a reputation as a PI for the superanatural, AI's spying on the cheating wife is quite professional with listening devices, mini-camera's, the works. In the Buffyverse there appear to be no aliens (what about the Queller demon from season 5?). Kate is now a pariah in the LAPD but is still loved by her friends and colleagues. Lorne is back for the first time in a while. Some great satire on Hollywood actors. Gunn has a long and colourful record with LAPD.
Marks out of 10; 9/10
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Well that was dark and twisted. I think Wesley summed it up pretty good at the end. Angel has a lot of dark forces against him and it's gonna be quite the challenge to overcome them. I love how Angel says bring it on though.

I thought Darla was still a vampire, but she's somehow posing as a human and able to go into the light? Bit confused on that. So was Drusilla already a bit off before Angelus made her crazy and into a vampire?

Kate is starting to annoy me a little. I get that from what she sees and her vendetta against Angel already, it didn't look good on him, but why couldn't she have at least accepted that the photo Wesley showed her of Darla is the same woman she thought was the victim? She thinks Angel killed Darla's (or whatever name Darla used as a human I forget) 'husband' but a) she should be able to find out the guy wasn't Darla's husband and b) she has no evidence to suggest Angel actually killed him. She just wants it to be him because of her vendetta.
Reply   Post New Thread