Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Addicted Fan

Solicitation and covers for Giles # 2.

https://www.newsarama.com/37777-roma...r-giles-2.html

Romance For Ripper In BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: GILES #2

By Chris Arrant, Editor December 13, 2017

The solo adventures of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Rupert Giles continues in March, and Newsarama has the first look at that issue's solicitation.

Here is the solicitation for Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #2 - look for Dark Horse's full March 2018 solicits later this month.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #2

On sale March 28, 2018
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

High school life is a rough go for Rupert Giles**–as if being a grown man living inside a teenage body wasn’t hard enough. Crushing on each other, Giles and his mysterious new friend, Roux, navigate around the bullies in the hallways while they investigate the school-wide threat and missing staff and students—which they are certain is connected to some kind of demon .
. .
Writers: Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander
Penciller: Jon Lam
Inker: Jon Lam
Colorist: Dan Jackson
Cover Artist: Steve Morris
Variant cover: Arielle Jovellanos

Old 01-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Addicted Fan

Joss Whedon & Erika Alexander interview with CBR about Giles miniseries.

https://www.cbr.com/giles-joss-whedo...der-interview/

Joss Whedon & Erika Alexander Send Buffy’s Giles Back to School

Jordan Commandeur CBR Exclusives

CBR sits down with writers Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander to talk the new Giles series, featuring the Watcher as a teen high school student.

The majority of movie-going audiences know Joss Whedon from the superhero blockbusters he has directed, namely The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Justice League, which he took over after Zack Snyder left the production due to a personal tragedy. Yet the properties which first made him famous — Firefly/Serenity and Buffy the Vampire Slayer — have sizeable fanbases, with cult followings still rabid for anything new.

The primary source of new material for those shows have been series from Dark Horse Comics, specifically Buffy comic books. While the TV show had a companion comic from 1998-2003, after the show finished its seven season run, the story continued in a pivotal series aptly titled Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight. This ongoing was popular enough to lead to Season Nine, Ten and Eleven, as well as various miniseries and graphic novels. Whedon was the writer or co-writer for most of Season Eight and the start of Nine, but has been absent from the Buffy comics since. That is, until now.

Buffy fans, rejoice. Whedon is back to co-write a miniseries about one of the core members of the Scooby Gang, Rupert Giles, played in live-action by Anthony Stewart Head. And Whedon has brought along another creative you may recognize from film and TV, Erika Alexander. As an actress, Alexander is best known for her role as Max on the Emmy-winning sitcom Living Single, but her more recent credits include the acclaimed film Get Out and the television series Bosch. Alexander also has comic book experience, as the co-writer of Dark Horse’s Concrete Park. Whedon and Alexander have cooked up a plot that involves Giles’ adult mind in a teen body, heading to high school in Los Angeles. Sounds fun, right?

CBR had a chance to pick the brains of both Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander about the four-issue Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles series, scheduled to debut with issue #1 on Feb. 28, with art by Jon Lam and Dan Jackson. We get the down low on Giles’ new status quo, his co-star Roux, which other Buffyverse characters we may see, and even managed to sneak in a question about that long-proposed Ripper TV show.

CBR: Joss, you killed Giles because you didn’t feel he worked in the comic book format. Did you have plans to resurrect him and send him to high school when you decided to kill him off?

Joss Whedon: I wouldn’t say he didn’t work — just, Buffy didn’t need a mentor (actually she did, but there is a time in your life where you have to walk through the world without them) and I needed a resonant moment. I remember telling Tony at Comic-Con… he was sad, but he got it. The bringing him back as a 12 year old came later. I liked the idea that Angel’s next arc was redemptive, but that the results were not what he expected. And then it was straight-up whimsy, which the books have exploited hilariously and poignantly.

I couldn’t bear the thought of him not having an arc of his own, and I thought throwing him into the American public school system would be the source of both fish-out-of-water hijinks and a chance to talk about something that’s important to me.

How much does the inner city Los Angeles setting of the series shape the story?

Erika Alexander: Los Angeles is a big part of this series. And why not, LA is a gorgeous, roaming, stucco, cement butterfly that provides a big canvas for us to play with. It’s also its own character in this mystery. Its sprawling highways help guide us to fun, new characters with their own quirks and mythologies.

Giles, on the other hand, is a fish-out-of-water in a double bind, because he’s locked in his teenage self, undercover, in a city high school battling a strange “virus.” Joss wanted Giles to explore rich, thorny issues like class, gender, race and privilege. The types of issues that someone raised in the city can’t escape. City kids also have to deal with puberty, college applications, the prom and constantly being bombarded with traffic, ads, branding and noise campaigns ad nauseam. It’s all competing for their mind space, a total energy vampire. The landscape adds an element of pressure and overwhelm that seems to suffocate individuality and breed conformity. It’s ironic that many students who grow up in these environments turn out to be great individualists and iconoclasts. So, after the initial shock, Giles will use his migrant abilities to adapt and fit right in.

What can you share about Giles’ “mysterious new friend” Roux?

Alexander: Roux is a student attending Living Legend Academy and Charter School and she’s got a secret. Well, she’s got lots of secrets. As a self-proclaimed “Watcher” she spends her day guarding her ward and she’s a bit of a busy body, so she’ll clash with Giles’ investigation. Roux has survived a tragic, complicated past and now she spends her time ruminating on how to survive the future and can she get a date to the prom. In that way Giles and Roux are two of a kind.

Will other main Buffyverse characters appear in this series?

Alexander: Yes, beautiful Willow will make a cameo. She’s Giles confidante and connection to his other life. She reminds him that while sailing the ocean he should be careful not to fall over the edge.

Artist Jon Lam is a newcomer to the Buffyverse. What made him the right fit for this series?

Alexander: Jon’s work rocks and he has a beautiful sense and sensibility for story. That’s a killer recipe.

Do you think about Anthony Stewart Head when you write young Giles?

Alexander: I do. As Giles, Anthony did a wonderful portrayal and he is beloved, but I for this project think of Joss more. I mean, isn’t he the original template for the character Giles? Joss’ dry sense of humor, quick intelligence, shyness, and self-deprecating existential battles are charming and make a rich palette for my ear. So, that’s a lot of who this young Giles is now.

Is adult Giles in his teenage body a spin on when adult Giles reverted back to his teenage self in the show in “Band Candy”?

Alexander: Joss would have to answer that, but that’s a great guess.

Whedon: Not really. Giles in “Band Candy” was a teen in an adult body. Here he’s the opposite, a 50-something guy in an even younger teen’s body. The fun here is, his mind knows way too much, but his hormonal little body is calling way more of the shots than he’s been used to for a while. When we’re out of that phase we think we remember it, but the physical and mental taffy-stretching-machine of adolescence is something you have to be feeling to truly understand. We make it an origin story after the fact: how I came to be me. During… well, it is an origin story, but it’s the falling-in-a-vat-of-radioactive-acid kind.

In terms of look and personality, Giles would probably be considered a nerd in school. Any possibility of a story about bullying? I imagine that his knowledge and experience would make him the wrong kid to pick on.

Alexander: Hey, maybe you should write this series, because you’re right on time! [Laughs] Yes, bullying does come up in this high school, as it would any. But our Giles is uniquely armed to handle it. Imagine, you get to go back to school as your young self with your adult mind? Boo-yah! Now deja vu becomes foresight. Dude, it’s Freaky Friday meets the Matrix with an 8-Ball. Sweet.

Being a big fan of classic rock and a guitarist, what’s the likelihood of Giles starting a garage band in high school?

Alexander: The 8-Ball says, “Not so likely,” at least in this iteration. But a Giles Playlist is embedded in this series, so that’s something.

Whedon: I thought no one did that any more, but my son’s in a band and he and his friends are voraciously listening to all the old stuff. So, I guess it’s a real possibility. Of course, Giles would be insufferably exacting and his band mates would constantly be quitting.

Is there any possibility of that Ripper spinoff series still happening?

Alexander: Joss, are you listening? We’re all hoping. Ruminating.

Whedon: I will never give up hope on that one. And Tony seems to be getting younger in real life, too…

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #1 is scheduled for release on Feb. 28.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:44 PM
Addicted Fan

April 2018 Solicitation for Buffy S11 Giles # 3
https://www.newsarama.com/38207-roux...y-giles-3.html

ROUX Tells RIPPER Her Secrets In BUFFY: GILES #3

By Chris Arrant, Editor January 17, 2018

Dark Horse has shared the advance solicitation for April 25's Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #3.

Look for the full Dark Horse April 2018 solicitations later this month on Newsarama.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #3 (of 4)

Joss Whedon (W), Erika Alexander (W), Jon Lam (A), Dan Jackson (C), Steve Morris (Cover), Arielle Jovellanos (Variant cover)

On sale Apr 25
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Miniseries

Love is complicated. For a guy and a girl, both aware the other is keeping secrets, they shouldn’t even consider love. But for Giles and Roux there hasn’t been a choice: uneasy allies, they’ve been falling in love while working together against a demon. But “trying” to trust one another isn’t working anymore. Roux will finally tell Giles her secrets . . . or he may have to kill her.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The new series sounds awesome!! And I love the drawing of young Giles!
Old 02-01-2018, 06:14 AM
Addicted Fan

Corinna Bechko full Slayalive Q/A for Angel S11 # 12 finally is up.

Spoilers Q&A for Angel Season 11 Finale with Corinna Bechko
Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy S11 Giles # 1.

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-giles-1/

EXCLUSIVE: The Teacher Becomes the Student in Giles #1

CBR Staff CBR Exclusives

Rupert Giles returns to high school, but as a student instead of a teacher! Dark Horse Comics' Giles #1 by Joss Whedon, Erika Alexander & Jon Lam

Watcher and former mentor to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He died and was resurrected as a pre-teen child. Now Rupert Giles steps into the spotlight to face his greatest challenge: High School!

When teachers start to go missing at an inner-city Los Angeles high school, potentially by mystical influences, Giles takes it upon himself to investigate. Not as teacher, but as a student!

CBR has your exclusive first look at Dark Horse Comics’ Giles #1, written by Joss Whedon & Erika Alexander, with art by Jon Lam. In stores February 28th, 2018.

GILES #1

•Joss Whedon & Erika Alexander (w) • Jon Lam (a)
•Cover: Steve Morris

•From Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander comes a series that returns Buffy’s Rupert Giles to high school! But this time–as a grown man living in a teenage body–Giles will be a student instead of a teacher. At an inner-city LA-area school, when a mystical influence is detected and teachers start to go missing, Giles enrolls to investigate. What he finds is more than vampires and demons; something unusual and frightening is happening here. If Giles can get through one day as a student, he’ll have a chance to find out who, what, and where–but high school is still hell, y’all.

•In Shops: February 28th, 2018
•SRP: $3.99

Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 AM
Addicted Fan

Covers and solicitation for Buffy S11 #4.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...overs-giles-4/

Exclusive First Look at Covers for Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #4

Posted by Dan Wickline February 13, 2018

Dark Horse has sent us an exclusive first look at the cover and variant cover for Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #4, the final issue of the miniseries written by Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander with art by Jon Lam. The cover is by Steve Morris while the variant is by Arielle Jovellanos.

The series has the de-aged Giles enrolling in a public school to investigate why teachers are mysteriously disappearing. Harkening back to the series original roots as a show set in a high school, Giles explores a very different school system from what he was used to at Sunnydale High. And while there he has discovered a mysterious girl named Roux and a demon under the school… definitely public school. Final issue of the miniseries.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #4 (of 4)

Joss Whedon (W), Erika Alexander (W), Jon Lam (A), Dan Jackson (C), Steve Morris (Cover), Arielle Jovellanos (Variant cover)

On sale May 16 FC, 32 pages $3.99 Miniseries

Teen-aged Rupert Giles made his return to high school and in the process uncovered a demon underneath the school, and a very-attractive-yet-mysterious girl, Roux. As he prepares for the final showdown with the demon, Giles is troubled by revelations about Roux, and her extracurricular activities that aren’t the most savory.

. .
Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffy Season 12 Announced.

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...n-gage-jeanty/

EXCLUSIVE: Joss Whedon Returns to Buffy for Dark Horse’s Season 12

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is back for Season 12 with a four-issue miniseries from Joss Whedon, Christos Gage and Georges Jeanty

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is back for a twelfth season, and so is creator Joss Whedon.

Dubbed Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 12: The Reckoning, Dark Horse Comics’ latest Buffyverse series will be co-written by Whedon and longtime Buffy writer Christos Gage, while Georges Jeanty returns to illustrate the characters’ adventures once again. This will be Whedon’s first time tackling a specific arc since 2011’s Buffy: Season Nine, while Gage previously worked on Buffy: Season 11; Jeanty’s last fulltime Buffy gig was on Season 8.

Picking up after the world-altering finale from Buffy Season 11, the series’ synopsis indicates that the Scooby Gang have had an uncharacteristically laid back year away from fighting the forces of evil. However, when Xander and Dawn’s housewarming is gatecrashed by some familiar faces, Buffy and her crew will reach for their stakes once again. Forced to battle with a legion of demons, Wolfram Hart and a vampire from the future called Harth, Buffy will apparently find herself trapped in a time warp that could end the Slayers forever.

With alternate futures clearly playing a big part, The Reckoning will once again bring back future Slayer Fray, who first appeared in 2001’s self-titled spin-off. The Reckoning will see the return of Faith and Angel, as well as fan-favorite Illyria, though whether they help or hinder the cause remains to be seen.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 12: The Reckoning #1 goes on sale on June 20 and will be available with three variant covers from artists Stephanie Hans, Georges Jeanty with Karl Story and Dan Jackson, and Karl Moline, which you can see for yourself in the gallery below.

The first issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 12: The Reckoning will be able to pre-order from comic book shops in March.

Here's the link to the slidshow of all three covers.

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...nty/#gallery=1

1)Season 12 is a four issue miniseries that launches in June(June 20th)
2)Joss is co-writing with Christos Gage.Georges Jeanty is on art.
3)Wolfram & Hart and Harth from Fray are the big bads
4)Angel,Faith,Illyria and Fray are all involved.

ETA

I think the baby is Xander and Dawn's.

ETA 2

Dark Horse just confirmed.Season 12 is the final season of Buffy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DarkHorse...94443505913856

Diana Diana
@DMN1984
1h
Replying to @CBR @Christosgage and 3 others

Exciting news! There seems to have been indications in the initial publication that this would be a “4 issue mini.” Can @Christosgage @CBR @DarkHorseComics confirm if that was a typo and if so how many issues we can anticipate? Thanks!
View conversation ·

Christos Gage Christos Gage
@Christosgage
30m
Replying to @DMN1984 @CBR @DarkHorseComics

That's for Dark Horse to respond to, I don't know what I can say and what I can't!

View conversation

Dark Horse Comics Dark Horse Comics
@DarkHorseComics
27m
Replying to @Christosgage @DMN1984 @CBR

Four issues currently planned!
View conversation ·

Nicolás Briozzo
@Nico_Briozzo
25m

Replying to @DarkHorseComics @Christosgage and 2 others

Why so few?? ������������������������

View conversation ·

Dark Horse Comics
Dark Horse Comics
@DarkHorseComics Replying to @Nico_Briozzo @Christosgage and 2 others

We'll issue our own announcement soon, but in short, this is planned to be the finale season. We plan to do more Buffy adventures in the future, but this is the last in the "season" structure.

11:29 AM - 21 Feb 2018

They may do more Buffy comics in the future(I expect limited series stuff like The High School Years for example) but this is the last season.

ETA 3

Another tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/DarkHorse...6328416257?p=v

Dark Horse Comics Dark Horse Comics
@DarkHorseComics
16m

Replying to @DMN1984 @Nico_Briozzo and 2 others

Angel and Faith are coming back into the Buffy story with this season, which is the last "season" structure for these comics, yes. More to come when we have details to share.

View conversation ·

Last edited by comic fan; 02-21-2018 at 01:12 PM
Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Addicted Fan

A tweet from Christos Gage about Connor and Gunn showing up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosg...9888780288?p=v

Editor's Note Comics Editor's Note Comics
@EdsNoteComics
38m
Replying to @Christosgage

@Christosgage since this looks the end, I'll petition for Gunn and Connor to come back.

View conversation

Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @EdsNoteComics

Appreciate the sentiment, but the four issues are SUPER packed as it is, so don't get your hopes up...though I won't close the door completely. (Still writing.)

12:16 PM - 21 Feb 2018

Here are the other two covers brought over from Bleeding Cool News

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...ason-12-comic/

A couple of more tweets form Gage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosgage?p=s

Aaron Morris Aaron Morris
@aarmor212
1h
Replying to @CBR @joss and 3 others

Best. News. Wondering if we'll get more of an indication why Willow went Dark in the future with the return of Harth and Fray?
View conversation ·

Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @aarmor212 @CBR @DarkHorseComics

Yes, that will be explained. Or as Joss puts it, "Why was [future] Willow so sad?"

2:54 PM - 21 Feb 2018

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosg...1483372544?p=v

Dan D Vale Dan D Vale
@dano_roma
3h

Replying to @Christosgage @EdsNoteComics

At least a mention for his son and one of his closest friends seems right. Rather they not be forgotten like it seemed during the whole Twilight thing.

View conversation ·

Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @dano_roma @EdsNoteComics

They're in my mind, and Angel's too. Remains to be seen if they are directly mentioned, but I will try!

2:56 PM - 21 Feb 2018

ETA

Another comment from Gage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosg...0263864320?p=v

James Marsters News➕
@jamie_marsters
44m

With 'alternate futures' playing a big part in the #Buffy comics final season 12, what alternate futures would you like to see? Personally, I'm hoping to see #Spuffy AND #Bangel fans get their happy endings! @joss @Christosgage @KabaLounge @BuffyTVS pic.twitter.com/10fXotHShV

View photo ·

Christina L. Christina L.
@Pnksno20
40m
Replying to @jamie_marsters @joss and 3 others

I want #Spuffy to have a happy ending, but if both fandoms can somehow have a nice ending that would be awesome.

View conversation ·

Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @Pnksno20 @jamie_marsters and 3 others

Lots of polyamory fans out there...hey, anything could happen!

5:30 PM - 21 Feb 2018

Last edited by comic fan; 02-21-2018 at 07:08 PM
Old 02-22-2018, 06:01 PM
Addicted Fan

Another Dark Horse tweet.

https://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/...41985095712769

Dark Horse Comics‏Verified account
@DarkHorseComics

Follow Follow @DarkHorseComics

ICYMI: We can now announce Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 12: The Reckoning, beginning this June! The final season, but not the final adventures of Buffy & the Scoobies, never fear. DETAILS: http://bit.ly/buffysn12
Variant cover art: Kevin Moline

More from Dark Horse on twitter about Buffyverse comcis post season 12.

https://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/...59347236712448

Dark Horse Comics‏Verified account
@DarkHorseComics

Follow Follow @DarkHorseComics

Replying to @timheyltjes @HandlerLyon

There have been many miniseries that are Buffy canon but not strictly in the season format, such as the Willow and Spike spinoffs. Further comics will be more along these lines, still canon, and yes, Joss will continue to be involved in all Buffy comics.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Addicted Fan

An early version of Stephanie Hans Buffy S12 # 1 cover.

https://twitter.com/HansStephanie/st...90097984425984
Old 03-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Addicted Fan

The cover for the second season 10 HC Edtions

The Season 10 Thread 2 - Discussion, Speculation and News - Page 53

Old 03-16-2018, 07:06 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview Pages for Buffy S11 Giles # 2.

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-giles-2/

EXCLUSIVE: Giles #2 (Preview)

Joss Whedon! Erika Alexander!

High school life is a rough go for Rupert Giles**-as if being a grown man living inside a teenage body wasn’t hard enough. Crushing on each other, Giles and his mysterious new friend, Roux, navigate around the bullies in the hallways while they investigate the school-wide threat and missing staff and students–which they are certain is connected to some kind of demon . . .

Old 03-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Addicted Fan

A New Christos Gage tweet about Season 12.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosg...0014124032?p=v

HandlerLyon
@HandlerLyon

@Christosgage As it's the last season of Buffy, do you or @joss have intentions or concerns about satisfying shippers?

@Christosgage
42m

Replying to @HandlerLyon @joss

No, when you start writing to please anyone as opposed to what you think the best story is, it never produces good material.

ETA

Another tweet from Gage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosg...0014124032?p=v

Bonna Bonna
@bonnaleah
1h

Replying to @Christosgage @HandlerLyon @joss

That's pretty funny considering all the spuffy pandering.

View conversation

@Christosgage
19m

Replying to @bonnaleah @HandlerLyon

What you see as pandering, the people making it thought made for the best story. Not saying that means it's "right" or "best" or whatever. You're free to feel it's bad. But writing just to please anyone - fans, the network, your Mom - never works out well.

View conversation
·

ETA 2

More from Gage

https://mobile.twitter.com/Christosg...7443190784?p=v

cheryl cheryl
@scittycat
9m

I have been a huge fan of yours since Angel but the direction of Buffy without her Angel is wrong. Goes against the series.

View conversation

Christos Gage
Christos Gage
@Christosgage Replying to @scittycat

Your support is appreciated! We're all just trying to tell the best stories we can. I was recently talking with Joss about how much I love "I Will Remember You." I love Buffy/Angel stories, I love Buffy/Spike stories, I love Buffy her own badass self stories.

10:21 AM - 18 Mar 2018
·

cheryl cheryl
@scittycat
23s

yep, there's no one like Buffy and there's also nothing like B/A, it's kept us here for YEARS. YW, you were brilliant on Angel

View conversation ·

Last edited by comic fan; 03-18-2018 at 10:30 AM
Old 03-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Addicted Fan

This is interesting.Joss tweeted that he going back and looking at old Buffy episodes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joss/stat...62115209588736

Joss Whedon
@joss

Going through old episodes of Buffy, I’m struck by two things: The first is how weirdly topicaI I wish this show hadn’t become #Parkland #heroes #MarchForOurLives pic.twitter.com/1u1RBMBseq

https://mobile.twitter.com/joss/stat...63757770403840

Joss Whedon
@joss

The second thing: HOW RIDICULOUSLY GREAT @SarahMGellar IS pic.twitter.com/4gUa6I7Ek0

3:37 PM - 19 Mar 2018

Refresher for his Season 12 work?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread