Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 AM
Addicted Fan

First advanced review for Buffy # 5.

Comic Review: Buffy Season 11 #5 - Wicked Horror

Comic Review: Buffy Season 11 #5

By Nat Brehmer
- March 19, 2017

cannot express how great it is to have Georges Jeanty back on Buffy, even if it’s for a single issue. This is not to take away anything from the work Rebekah Isaacs has done over the course of her already impressive tenure on the title. But Jeanty was the artist who launched this whole thing alongside Joss Whedon with Season Eight. He was the mainstay artist all the way through to the end of Season Nine. He was the artist I most identified with Buffy’s transition to comics.

While I’m not saying that something’s been missing, things did feel different in his absence. Having him back is like going home again. One issue with Jeanty and I’m completely revitalized and rejuvenated for whatever Rebekah Isaacs or any of the other possible fill-in artists have in store for the rest of the season.

As for the issue itself, it’s very strong. The central theme is Buffy’s assurance of her place as a force to be reckoned with and taken seriously inside the compound. At the same time, she’s trying to prove to her superiors that she is serious about doing her job and enforcing the rules of the Free Zone. She puts a stop to riots and attempts to stop escapes as well, all to impress the people she knows are watching her closely.

Of course, she’s doing all this to earn their trust so that she can find a way to escape that will actually work. Buffy’s never been about self-preservation, though. She’s literally sacrificed herself to save the world. So my guess is that if she’s going to find a way to get out, she’s going to find a way to get others out as well.

There’s a great moment, though, when Buffy sees how far the other guards are willing to go to keep the peace. Buffy has put a stop to things like riots and she’s done it with force and with appealing to the demons’ common sense. But when the others see a demon trying to escape, they shoot him without thinking twice. That’s the length they’re willing to go to. They know that Buffy’s not about that. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some kind of test coming up, for them to see how far Buffy is willing to go to prove her loyalty and do her job.

I also enjoy how Willow-centric this issue is. Not that she’s been resigned to a background role—that did happen a bit in seasons nine and ten, but not so much here—but now we’re beginning to really see how Willow is dealing with the Free Zone and how she’s helping the Wiccans who have been affected by the outcry against magic.

It will be interesting to see how long the story will continue with Buffy, Willow and Spike living inside of the encampment. It could be resolved in the next issue, but that feels unlikely. There’s clearly more story to tell inside the prison-like Free Zone. While I wouldn’t expect it to last the whole season, it doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon. So I’m looking forward to seeing where that storyline goes next.

WICKED RATING: 8/10
Old 03-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Addicted Fan

Finally posting some thoughts on last month's and this month's season 11 comics.I'll do Angel # 2 and 3 today(they'll be brief).Then I'll do Buffy # 4 and 5 when I have issue 5 later this week(probably the weekend).

Angel #2

I'll admit,I'm not really into this season of Angel so far.The time travel storyline just isn't as much of interest to me.I found Angel # 2,Part 2 of "Out Of The Past" to be on the dull side although there were little moments with past Illyria and present Illyria that were interesting.I just had a ehh reaction to this issue.

Angel # 3

My reaction to Part 3 of "Out Of Time" was pretty much the same as issue 2 of Angel Season 11.I did find it kinda of interesting the idea of past and present Illyria fighting each other.

The bit connecting back with Giles's aunts in the present was probably the most interesting part and the idea that time is being altered by Angel and Illyria's/Fred's trip into the past.

The cliffhanger with Illyria having to kill her past self and what that will change is also a good cliffhanger..

I think my problems are again,that I'm just not getting into the story very well.

Maybe when we move out of this time period that will change.But for now,I'm just not enjoying Angel season 11 that much.It feels like and this may just be me, thqt this series exist just because Dark Horse feels a obligation to have a Angel related series going each season now.

Angel & Faith season 9 and even 10 felt like they had a real purpose from the start and a real purpose under the season umbrella.Angel season 11 IMO atleast so far does not.Again,maybe that will change as the story continues.Right this second it feels more like a story designed to keep Angel out of the Buffy side of season 11.To me,that's disappointing especially since we now know Faith is going to be showing up in Buffy.

I rather have no season 11 Angel title and just have Angel appear in a issue or two of Buffy and participate in a much more interesting storyline.Then create a dull story that already feels like it's going to cover previous themes already covered in previous Angel stories(that's the vibe I'm getting so far with this time travel story.I may be wrong that it plays out in a predictable way).Basically I rather have less Angel involved in a better storyline then more Angel in a dull story.

We'll see how the rest of this season plays out.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:59 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 6.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 #6 :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics

Preview Pages for Angel # 4.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3000...el-Season-11-4

Both issues are out April 19th.

I'll try and post my thoughts on Buffy # 4-5,this weekend.I wanted to post them the week I posted my thoughts on the last two issues of Angel but I developed pneumonia and was pretty much out of commission the past two weeks.

Last edited by comic fan; 04-12-2017 at 05:23 AM
Old 04-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Addicted Fan

Finally posting my thoughts on Buffy # 4-5.These are very belated.I meant to post them the weekend when I posted my thoughts on Angel # 2-3(and I was late even then) but then I got really sick.I had pneumonia and for the most part,out of it for a couple weeks.

So now I'm well and finally posting some thoughts with issue # 6 coming out this week.

These will be short.

I didn't care much for Buffy # 4.The writing was fine and the premise makes sense but I will just freely admit that the spuffy aspects just totally took me out the issue.That's totally my prejudice.Again,there isn't anything wrong with the issue itself or it's premise.But this was was one of those times where the spuffy elements just overshadowed my enjoyment.I like the action sequences(I've never had any issues with Georges Jeanty's art and thought it was nice to have him return for a bit).I thought it was nice catching up with Dawn.But honestly that's all I got.The whole issue just reminded me too much of Buffy feeding herself to Angel in GD Part 2 but applied to spuffy.I know the circumstances are different but it just completely took me out of the issue.

Buffy # 5 I enjoyed much more than issue 4.I don't really have much to add other than I really liked the issue and how it drives the overall story of the season forward.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Dark Horse July 2017 Solicitations.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04...iac-starforce/

Angel Season 11 #7

Featuring Angelus and Darla!

Corinna Bechko (W), Zé Carlos (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Stephanie Hans (Variant cover)

On sale July 19
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

On a ship filled with zombies, pirates, and a plague of zombie-creating beetles, Angel is torn between saving his past evil self—to save his own future—and making sure that the ship he is on never reaches land.

“If the past is haunting Angel, there’s no telling where this story can go, but I’m eager to see where. The story is intriguing and the art top notch.”—SciFiPulse

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 #9

Christos Gage (W), Georges Jeanty (P/Variant cover), Dexter Vines (I/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale July 19
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

The great escape is underway as Buffy, Faith, and Willow infiltrate headquarters at the Safe Zone. Everything and everyone they expected to stop their mission is in the way. The question is, can two powerless girls and one Slayer succeed with these ridiculous odds? Elsewhere: unexpected vampire complications . . .

• Featuring everyone’s favorite “bad” Slayer, Faith Lehane!

“Any Buffy fan is going to be stoked about this new series, Season 11, and a new story arc of awesomeness!”—ComicWow!TV

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus: Season 8 Volume 1 TP

Joss Whedon (W), Brian K. Vaughan (W), Drew Goddard (W), Jeph Loeb (W), Georges Jeanty (P), Karl Moline (P), Paul Lee (P), Cliff Richards (P), Andy Owens (I), Dave Stewart (C), Michelle Madsen (C), and Jo Chen (Cover)

On sale Sept 13
FC, 592 pages
$24.99
TP, 6” x 9”

Series creator Joss Whedon brought Buffy the Vampire Slayer back to life with this comics-only follow-up to Season 7 of the television show. Aptly named Season 8, these comics are the official sequel to Buffy and continue where the live-action series left off with the Slayer, her friends, and their ongoing challenge to fight the forces of darkness. This oversized omnibus edition is one of two volumes that will contain the entirety of Season 8. Contains Buffy Season 8 Library Edition Volumes 1–2 (excluding sketchbook materials), all series covers (Buffy Season 8 #1–#20), the Willow one-shot Goddesses and Monsters, and the “Always Darkest” short from MySpace Dark Horse Presents #24.

• A New York Times bestseller!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Big Bads & Monsters Adult Coloring Book TP

Karl Moline (A/Cover), Georges Jeanty (A), Pablo Churin (A), Yishan Li (A), Newsha Ghasemi (A), Stephen Byrne (A), and others

On sale Sept 6
b&w, 96 pages
$14.99
TP, 10” x 10”

Demons, horror, and fantasy fill these original illustrations based on Joss Whedon’s cult-classic television series. Inside this volume focused on their greatest foes, you’ll find heroes Buffy, Willow, Xander, and Giles fighting to save the world from the likes of the Master, Angelus, Spike, Drusilla, and other supernatural beasts and beings. Features forty-five original black-and-white illustrations.

• Celebrating the twentieth anniversary of Joss Whedon’s cult-classic television series!

Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Addicted Fan

First advanced review for Buffy # 6.

Comic Review: Buffy Season 11 #6 - Wicked Horror

Comic Review: Buffy Season 11 #6

By Nat Brehmer
April 18, 2017

Finally, Buffy Season 11 has started rolling out some of the details for the endgame of this season. At the very least, we begin to find out some crucial details about what people are planning on the outside, what the prison colony is really for, and what the overall stakes are. And the stakes, of course, are the most important thing now that we are already halfway through the season.

The issue is divided up pretty well between our three current leads. It’s been interesting to have a more narrow character focus. Season eight was obviously overstuffed with characters, but seasons nine and ten didn’t actually do all that much to lighten the load. Now, with Buffy, Willow and Spike being trapped inside the prison colony. Focusing on these three characters has allowed us to go deeper with them—which is always what Buffy has excelled at.

This issue does that very well. Spike is not as much in the forefront, but Buffy obviously is. She’s now on a mission to get to the bottom of whatever’s going on because she is hell bent on getting her people out of there. She’s furthering the plot, for the most part, but in a way that feels organic. She’s at the end of her rope and she knows that the other guards will figure out her allegiances. She’s running out of time and the issue does a great job at conveying her sense of desperation.

Willow, meanwhile, is dealing with an arguably more complicated dilemma. She’s been a leader to the Wiccan community that’s become trapped inside the Safe Zone. But it’s become so unsafe that the other Wiccans are asking Willow to siphon away their power so that they can get out. This is such a great plot point because it puts Willow into such an uncomfortable position. This is against everything she believes in, but she’s doing it to keep her people safe.

Spike sticks to the background a bit, but he plays a very supportive role. He understands what Buffy’s doing, understands the stakes of it, he’s willing to die to keep her safe which is a very Spike thing to do. He’s always been the realest in these situations though, so it is definitely in keeping with his character for him to be the one to suggest that they might not make it out of this and that things ultimately might not work out. But that’s still a long road of character development from the old days where he would constantly be telling everyone that they were definitely going to die.

It’s nice to have Rebekah Isaacs back on art duties after a hiatus featuring Georges Jeanty. He defined this series when it began with season eight, but Rebekah has come to define it in its current incarnation.

This is definitely a strong issue character-wise and I’m happy to see that the plot is picking up and becoming more clearly defined.

WICKED RATING: 7.5/10
Old 04-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Addicted Fan

Full Chirstos Gage Slayalive Q/A for Buffy # 6

Spoilers Q&A with Christos Gage for Buffy Season 11 #6
Old 04-29-2017, 08:22 AM
Addicted Fan

Rebekah Isaacs Slayalive Q/A for Buffy # 6.

Spoilers Q&A with Rebekah Isaacs for Buffy Season 11 #6

Sorry this is late bringing over but a week and a half after recovering from pneumonia and I'm sick again.Not pneumonia this time but still,since last weekend,have felt pretty crappy.It's why I haven't posted any thoughts yet on the latest issues for Buffy and Angel.Today is the first day I'm feeling just slightly better and not running a fever.

Will have some thoughts on the latest issues when I'm more better.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Addicted Fan

Georges Jeanty posted a pencil page for issue 9

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTl3mz9Bz6I/

Old 05-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Addicted Fan

I got the free comic book issue of Buffy today at my shop for Free Comic Book Day.I still don't feel great but wanted to get out there to get the various free comics today.

The Buffy story(the issue also includes a Plants vs Zombies story) was a nice little tale.Basically Xander and Buffy are visting the local comic shop when Buffy has to stop the vampire who gets away in the preview pages.The vamp is at the shop and attacking the owner because the owner got rid of the vamps pull box because you know,he's kind of dead.

The vamp end up killing himself trying to escape Buffy when he runs out the front door into broad daylight and burns up.

A little girl who Buffy helped reach a comic on a upper shelf witnesses the whole thing and at the end of the story aks her mother why she didn't tell her superheroes were real(referring to Buffy).

Again,nice little story with some fun moments.Like Xander recomending to Buffy to try a X-Men comic and that she would probably like the character,Shadowcat.

Joss ofcourse wrote the X-Men comics and Shadowcat is his favorite X-Men character and helped inspire his creation of Buffy.

The stuff with the little girl was also cute.

I'll have my thoughts on the latest season 11 issues of Buffy and Angel soon.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Addicted Fan

Angel # 5 Preview pages.

DARLA Returns In ANGEL SEASON 11 #5 Preview

DARLA Returns In ANGEL SEASON 11 #5 Preview

By Newsarama Staff May 8, 2017

An old face, in an older time, returns in a preview of May 24's Angel Season 11 #5.

Angel Season 11 #5

Writer: Corinna Bechko
Artist: Ze Carlos
Colorist: Michelle Madsen
Cover Artist: Scott Fischer

Chasing the moment in the past that will bring disaster to the future, Illyria transports Angel and Fred to a new time period . . . One where the pair will have to strive to avoid Angelus, Darla, and pirates on the high seas as they search for a precious artifact that could lead to saving the future!

Publication Date: May 24, 2017
Format: FC, 32 pages; Ongoing
Price: $3.99

Old 05-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffy # 7 Preview Pages

The Comic Slayer

Old 05-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Addicted Fan

First review and spoilerish for this week's Buffy # 7.Angel # 5 is also out this week.

Comic Review: Buffy Season 11 #7 - Wicked Horror

Comic Review: Buffy Season 11 #7

ByNat Brehmer
-
May 22, 2017

In this issue, the season does the unthinkable by finally getting out of the Safe Zone—but in typical Buffy fashion, it doesn’t come without a huge cost. Be warned, there’s no way to discuss this issue without digging into spoiler territory. Having said that, here’s the main conflict of issue #7:

There’s a way out of the Safe Zone, and it’s just as terrible as you would expect from the kind of people who would make something like a supernatural internment camp to begin with. To get out of the Zone, you have to give up whatever supernatural energy you have inside of you. They spin this, of course, as “the thing that makes you a threat.”

For Buffy and Willow, that means completely changing their lifestyle, giving up the thing that makes them special. Buffy’s proven time and again in the comics that she does not want to give up her power the way that she did in the early years of the show. For Willow, it arguably means even more. In season nine, she did take a huge loss to her power and had to really fight to get it back.

Now she has a whole coven depending on her, she has people who look up to her and who she’s trying to protect. It’s almost shocking to see Willow telling people to give up their power so that they can be free. But Rebekah Isaacs completely conveys the clear pain that Willow is going through when she’s telling them that.

For Spike, though, something like this means death. With all of that supernatural energy removed, Spike’s just a corpse. There are several different kinds of demons that would not survive if they couldn’t be supernatural because their anatomy just wouldn’t work. The government insists that they’re “working on a solution” for that, but that’s all we get. I have no doubt that that will come into play later.

Another character who makes an unexpected appearance in this issue is Riley, along with his wife Sam. His conversation with Buffy is interesting because Riley is obviously siding with the government again. He’s doing what he’s told. He’s raising questions, but he believes he’s seeing the big picture and is trying to help. This is so frustrating, even if it’s completely in character for him. So that’s actually a nice touch, narratively.

There’s a great mix to the way the story is being handled in general, in that the plot is definitely starting to heat up, but things are still unfolding gradually. I’ll be interested to catch up with characters like Dawn, Xander and Giles again because we haven’t seen them in a few issues. They obviously haven’t gotten much focus when the action’s been contained to the inside.

After undergoing some major changes in this issue, I’m excited—and nervous—to see how things will go for Buffy and Willow on the outside.

WICKED RATING: 7/10
Old 05-24-2017, 06:04 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffy Season 11 Comics for August 2017.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05...s-august-2017/

Angel Season 11 #8

Corinna Bechko (W), Zé Carlos (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Stephanie Hans (Variant cover)

On sale Aug 30

FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

Their escape from a ship full of pirate zombies leaves Angel and Fred on an uninhabited island. Knowing that their dead shipmates are not far behind, they seek refuge further inland, only to find they aren’t actually alone . . .

“Corinna Bechko, one of the best writers in comics these days, takes over as the scribe of this series and begins with things deliciously dark.”—SciFiPulse

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 #10

Christos Gage (W), Megan Levens (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Aug 30

FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

Despite not knowing who their Big Bad is, Buffy and the Scoobies know where the fruits of his or her evil labors are—and they’re going in to destroy those fruits . . . er, maybe. Hopefully, along the way, they’ll figure out who—or what—is behind the plot to remove magic from the world in time to save magical beings everywhere!

Note,they have the wrong cover up for the Buffy # 10 variant which is why I didn't post it.They have the variant cover of issue 8
Old 06-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Angel # 6 and Buffy # 8

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06...-duty-zombies/

ANGEL SEASON 11 #6

Writer: Corinna Bechko Artist: Ze Carlos Colorist: Michelle Madsen Cover Artist: Scott Fischer

Aboard a ship in the middle of the ocean, Angel has not succeeded in avoiding his past self, Angelus. He must escape Angelus, keep Fred safe, and also determine what must be done with the jewel-like beetle that has ties to the future. When the beetle turns out to be something stranger than anyone could have imagined, Angel’s focus turns to survival rather than saving the future

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 11 #8

Writer: Christos Gage Artist: Rebekah Isaacs Colorist: Dan Jackson Cover Artist: Steve Morris

Out in the real world without their magic, Buffy and Willow are facing challenges in a new way. As normal girls, getting back into the Safe Zone to release the residents feels impossible—but they aren’t alone. The Scoobies are reunited and have some special backup!

Closed Thread   Post New Thread