Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Angel Comics - Season 6 Thread #6

Time for a new comics thread! Thanks comic_fan for keeping us up to date!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Tftnt!
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Tftnt!
Emily
Barstool Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Addicted Fan

No problem on the updates.

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’: Rebekah Isaacs draws out Season 10 interview with Hero Complex,

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’: Rebekah Isaacs draws out Season 10 | Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture – Los Angeles Times

'Buffy the Vampire Slayer’: Rebekah Isaacs draws out Season 10

Buffy returns to slaying for the 10th season when “Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1″ hits stands on March 19. Joss Whedon’s creation has continued to survive and thrive in the pages of the Dark Horse comic — now 11 years after the show’s last air date — and will be written by Christos Gage and drawn by Rebekah Isaacs in this newest iteration.

Buffy once again helped save the world in Season 9 and will face another new menace while dealing with the remnants of zompires (a zombie-vampire hybrid that Buffy helped create — it’s a long story) in the new season. Isaacs, who was the artist on last season’s spinoff “Angel & Faith,” has taken her pencil to heroic titles such as “Ms. Marvel,” “DV8,” “Sheena” and “Captain America & The Falcon.” Hero Complex caught up with the Savannah College of Art and Design grad and Dahlonega, Ga., native who now lives in New York to discuss the pressures of representing Sunnydale stalwarts.

Hero Complex: What was your level of fandom for “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” before you began working on the comic book?

Rebekah Issacs: I had happily devoured many of Joss’ other projects, especially “Firefly” and “Dollhouse,” but I’d only started watching “Buffy” at the insistence of a mega-fan friend a few months before I heard about the job. Honestly, I was sort of stuck towards the end of Season 1 and it was slow going for me. So I’m glad that the invitation to audition for the book gave me a push to keep going because I really got hooked in Season 2.

HC: You’re now the shepherd of the look of the Buffyverse. Is it fair to say that you feel a sense of duty to keep up the legacy?

RI: Definitely! It both keeps me bolstered and keeps me awake at night. Having started in more mainstream superhero-type comics, I have to say that “Buffy” fans are some of the most dedicated and passionate fans out there, especially considering the show ended more than 10 years ago and they’ve had only the comics to keep the story alive — which I’d like to think speaks volumes about the level of quality that Dark Horse has maintained in the series. It’s not just another licensed tie-in comic, and I take it as seriously as if I was working on the show itself. I definitely feel the pressure, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It feels awesome to be working on something that matters to so many people.

HC: Who are your artistic influences?

RI: A childhood entertainment diet of almost entirely Disney animation still influences me the most today. Also John Singer Sargent, Mucha and Ryoichi Ikegami.

HC: Have you talked much to Joss Whedon, and did he give you any advice?

RI: I haven’t been able to meet Joss in person yet, but he very kindly sent me an email welcoming me to the book when I got the “Angel & Faith” job. No advice in particular, just encouragement and generally being an awesome and funny dude. Most of the feedback on designs and art goes through the editors so that we all stay on the same page.

HC: Any favorite characters? Either to draw or just in the series in general?

RI: Giles for both. I don’t know if I can say anything specific about drawing him without spoiling Season 8 and 9, though.

HC: What did you like about “Angel & Faith,” and going into “Buffy,” what do you expect to be the obstacles?

RI: Story-wise, I loved “Angel & Faith’s” dynamic. It is so awesome to see a male-female team that can be emotionally close, trust one another, depend on each other, without being the others’ love interest. Artistically, drawing London was so fun. Not being a local made me prone to regional inconsistencies, but I enjoyed it the whole way. I love the mash-up of different architectural styles and time periods.

With “Buffy,” the greatest challenge will be getting all of those characters on the page at one time. And managing to fit them into some very tiny San Francisco apartments. Luckily they get to stretch their legs in a big city-wide fight scene in the first arc.

HC: In Season 10, Buffy seems to be taking another turn as she regroups and takes out the remaining zompires. Any hints about what’s to come?

RI: A very unexpected character from the Scoobies’ past makes an appearance early in the first issue. And it’s not a flashback. Also, zompires are a walk in the park compared with what the Vampyr book has in store for Buffy next.

– Jevon Phillips
comic fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Addicted Fan

First advanced review for Buffy S10 # 1

Season 10 of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' shows heroine back on right track - Chicago Geek Culture | Examiner.com

Season 10 of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' shows heroine back on right track

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 #1

Rating:4 out of 5 stars

March 10, 2014

Since Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued in comics, the quality of the stories have been mixed, especially since creator Joss Whedon left the actual writing duties for Marvel Land. Season Eight was decent overall with the shock of Angel being the big bad that eventually kills Giles in the heartbreaking finale. Season Nine had some fine moments but was bogged down with superfluous characters. Writer Andrew Chambliss sometimes seemed overwhelmed by the weight of the project. The sister series, "Angel & Faith", was fantastic the whole way through, with the title characters wanting to bring back the former watch and father figure for their own reasons. Christos Gage reached some excellent emotional peaks with Faith and really expounded on the softer side of the character.

With the series going into double digits, Dark Horse Comics apparently saw things similarly as Gage moves over the flagship book, bringing his "A&F" cohort, artist Rebekah Isaacs. The first storyline, "New Rules", is certainly apt as the return of magic to the world hasn't exactly turned things back to normal. There's actually a whole new set of complications. This first issue sets up some lofty expectations as a bevy of characters largely absent from last season (or more) are re-introduced into Buffy's world. There's a sense, much like in the last season of the television series, that there will be a concerted effort to take the series back to its roots. With coming home, though, sometimes things aren't exactly how you remembered. Things inherently change.

Isaacs's pencils are marked improvement for these characters over Georges Jeanty (whose skills are much better in translating "Serenity" to print, for some reason) With the opening salvo of Season Ten fired, Gage and Isaacs are wasting no time in showing that they can handle the pressure of ushering "Buffy" and friends into the next era.

Issue #1 of Season 10 comes out Mar 19 from Dark Horse Comics.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Addicted Fan

New Scott Allie interview.I'm only including the Buffy parts.Plus lots of new covers.

Exclusive Dark Horse Women Creators Characters In Comics | The Mary Sue

'Buffy the Vampire Slayer’: Rebekah Isaacs draws out Season 10

Buffy returns to slaying for the 10th season when “Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1″ hits stands on March 19. Joss Whedon’s creation has continued to survive and thrive in the pages of the Dark Horse comic — now 11 years after the show’s last air date — and will be written by Christos Gage and drawn by Rebekah Isaacs in this newest iteration.

Buffy once again helped save the world in Season 9 and will face another new menace while dealing with the remnants of zompires (a zombie-vampire hybrid that Buffy helped create — it’s a long story) in the new season. Isaacs, who was the artist on last season’s spinoff “Angel & Faith,” has taken her pencil to heroic titles such as “Ms. Marvel,” “DV8,” “Sheena” and “Captain America & The Falcon.” Hero Complex caught up with the Savannah College of Art and Design grad and Dahlonega, Ga., native who now lives in New York to discuss the pressures of representing Sunnydale stalwarts.

Hero Complex: What was your level of fandom for “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” before you began working on the comic book?

Rebekah Issacs: I had happily devoured many of Joss’ other projects, especially “Firefly” and “Dollhouse,” but I’d only started watching “Buffy” at the insistence of a mega-fan friend a few months before I heard about the job. Honestly, I was sort of stuck towards the end of Season 1 and it was slow going for me. So I’m glad that the invitation to audition for the book gave me a push to keep going because I really got hooked in Season 2.

HC: You’re now the shepherd of the look of the Buffyverse. Is it fair to say that you feel a sense of duty to keep up the legacy?

RI: Definitely! It both keeps me bolstered and keeps me awake at night. Having started in more mainstream superhero-type comics, I have to say that “Buffy” fans are some of the most dedicated and passionate fans out there, especially considering the show ended more than 10 years ago and they’ve had only the comics to keep the story alive — which I’d like to think speaks volumes about the level of quality that Dark Horse has maintained in the series. It’s not just another licensed tie-in comic, and I take it as seriously as if I was working on the show itself. I definitely feel the pressure, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It feels awesome to be working on something that matters to so many people.

HC: Who are your artistic influences?

RI: A childhood entertainment diet of almost entirely Disney animation still influences me the most today. Also John Singer Sargent, Mucha and Ryoichi Ikegami.

HC: Have you talked much to Joss Whedon, and did he give you any advice?

RI: I haven’t been able to meet Joss in person yet, but he very kindly sent me an email welcoming me to the book when I got the “Angel & Faith” job. No advice in particular, just encouragement and generally being an awesome and funny dude. Most of the feedback on designs and art goes through the editors so that we all stay on the same page.

HC: Any favorite characters? Either to draw or just in the series in general?

RI: Giles for both. I don’t know if I can say anything specific about drawing him without spoiling Season 8 and 9, though.

HC: What did you like about “Angel & Faith,” and going into “Buffy,” what do you expect to be the obstacles?

RI: Story-wise, I loved “Angel & Faith’s” dynamic. It is so awesome to see a male-female team that can be emotionally close, trust one another, depend on each other, without being the others’ love interest. Artistically, drawing London was so fun. Not being a local made me prone to regional inconsistencies, but I enjoyed it the whole way. I love the mash-up of different architectural styles and time periods.

With “Buffy,” the greatest challenge will be getting all of those characters on the page at one time. And managing to fit them into some very tiny San Francisco apartments. Luckily they get to stretch their legs in a big city-wide fight scene in the first arc.

HC: In Season 10, Buffy seems to be taking another turn as she regroups and takes out the remaining zompires. Any hints about what’s to come?

RI: A very unexpected character from the Scoobies’ past makes an appearance early in the first issue. And it’s not a flashback. Also, zompires are a walk in the park compared with what the Vampyr book has in store for Buffy next.

– Jevon Phillips

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 10) #5
Art by Steve Morris

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 10) #5 Variant
Art by Rebekah Issacs

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 10) #6
Art by Steve Morris

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 10) #6 Variant
Art by Chris Samnee with Jordie Bellaire

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 10) #7 Variant
Art by Rebekah Issacs with Dan Jackson

Angel & Faith (Season 10) #4
Art by Scott Fischer

Angel & Faith (Season 10) #4 Variant
Art by Chris Samnee

Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the news!
I love that Xander/Spike picture Spike wears only one sock
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for that.
Emily
Old 03-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Thanks for the updates
Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Addicted Fan

Buffy S10 # 1 ECCCC variant.

http://www.comicosity.com/dark-horse...ariant-covers/

Dark Horse Reveals ECCC Variant Covers

Published by Aaron Long on March 13, 2014

Dark Horse Comics has revealed exclusive Emerald City Comic-Con variant covers.

Official Press Release

MILWAUKIE, OR, MARCH 13—As the pop culture world gears up for Seattle’s Emerald City Comicon, Dark Horse announces not one, not two, not even three, but four variant covers for this year’s show!

The first few months of 2014 will see some of Dark Horse’s biggest launches of the year, and we have chosen to celebrate with Emerald City variants for Serenity #1, Buffy #1, Veil #1, and a very special variant of Witcher #1.

First up is Veil, the much-talked-about new, original series by Greg Rucka and Toni Fejzula. For this year’s show, Dark Horse has tapped J. H. Williams III to create the variant cover. Limited to 500 copies, Veil #1 is sure to go quickly, especially with writer Greg Rucka in attendance!

Next, we have the hotly anticipated Season 10 premiere of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with a variant cover by Season 9 cover artist Phil Noto, limited to 1,000 copies. Look for interior artist Rebekah Isaacs at this year’s show!

Another one for Joss Whedon fans: Dark Horse brings Jenny Frison on for a special cover of Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1, featuring none other than the lovely Inara! A few lucky fans may even get actress Morena Baccarin herself to sign their copies!

Last, and certainly not least, legendary artist Stan Sakai has done a special cover of the upcoming tie-in series The Witcher, a canonical entry in the world of the Witcher video games, which have collectively won over 250 awards and sold more than 5.5 million copies worldwide! All proceeds from the sale of this limited edition variant will benefit Stan and Sharon Sakai. Stan will be attending the show, in celebration of the thirtieth anniversary of his landmark series, Usagi Yojimbo!
Each variant-cover issue will cost five dollars and will be limited to ten copies per person, per day! A set quantity will be available at the show opening each day.

Hope to see you at this year’s Emerald City Comicon in Seattle, WA, on March 28–30!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Dark Horse June 2014 Solicitations and covers.

Dark Horse Comics JUNE 2014 Solicitations | Newsarama.com

Dark Horse Comics JUNE 2014 Solicitations

by Lucas Siegel, Site Editor
Date: 14 March 2014

New Players, New Rules, New Season!

Angel & Faith Season 10 #3

Victor Gischler(W), Will Conrad(A), Michelle Madsen(C), Scott Fischer(Cover), and Chris Samnee and Jordie Bellaire (Variant cover)

On sale June 4
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing

Angel has found everyone is going to the same person in London’s Magic Town for advice—and it’s decidedly not him. But she is someone Angel can take partial credit for . . . And the pixie menaces have stepped up their muscle with another lady from Angel’s past. Meanwhile, Faith is screwing up. Again.

• Season 10 has just begun—don’t miss a second!

•Will Conrad (Serenity) returns to the Whedonverse!

•Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #4

Christos Gage(W), Nicholas Brendon(W), Rebekah Isaacs(A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson(C/Variant cover), and Steve Morris(Cover)

On sale June 18
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing

Getting help from Dracula seemed like a good idea, until he stole the Vampyr book—and Xander! Now Buffy, Spike, Dawn, Willow, and Giles must save Xander and retrieve the book before it’s too late. Dracula has already begun to study how the lack of magical rules can work in his favor . . .

•The team from Angel & Faith takes over Buffy!

•Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

Nicholas Brendon (Xander) joins Season 10!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for that. It looks good.
Emily
Old 03-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Addicted Fan

First look at the Buffy Season 10 Vol 1:New Rules trade paperback cover.

Buffy: Season Ten Volume 1 : New Rules: Christos Gage, Joss Whedon, Rebekah Isaacs: 9781616554903: Amazon.com: Books
Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Addicted Fan

EXCLUSIVE: Buffy's James Marsters on his new Spike graphic novel (plus a 4-page preview!) | Blastr

EXCLUSIVE: Buffy's James Marsters on his new Spike graphic novel (plus a 4-page preview!)

Dan Roth
Tuesday, March 18, 2014

It's been a little while since James Marsters threw on the long black trench and played everyone's actual favorite vampire of all time, Spike. But he's returning to the role this year in a whole new way, and we've got an exclusive look.

Since Dark Horse has found its footing (and a steady audience) with its official Buffy comic continuation, it's branching out, and one of the biggest ways it's doing that is by giving some of the actors a crack at writing the characters who made them famous.

James Marsters has been carrying around his Spike graphic novel idea for a while. Thankfully, its day is finally about to come. We got in touch with James to ask him about what it was like getting back into the Buffy world, about the stories he still wants to tell, and with whom he might tell them. Also, we tried to make him mock fellow writer-turned-scribe Nicholas Brendon. Keep reading and you'll see how that turned out.

And make sure you check out the four-page preview in the gallery below, too!

So, I’ve heard you pitched the Spike comic over the phone to Scott Allie while you were at a con with Georges Jeanty. Do you remember how you pitched it to him, and what sold him on the idea?

I remember seeing Georges at a Buffy panel at the San Diego Comic Con. I told him about a story that had been kicking around my noggin for a while. I was interested in the period of Spike's 'life' after he wins back his soul, but before he figures out what to do with it. I thought about Spike trying to find something to eat, a place to sleep, and clothes for himself now that his conscience wouldn't allow him to hurt, maim or kill. I knew in my gut that there was no way in hell he'd get a job. In the first scene, he almost loses a fight because his old boots are falling apart.

I thought it might be funny and poignant to see him try to navigate this new situation, especially if he failed most of the time. He also might be tempted to play the hero. After his disasterous break with Buffy, he might try to find female companionship.

So I wrote a story where Spike is homeless and starving to death. He meets a sweet lady, but doesn't tell her that he's a vampire. A Big Bad comes to town, and he tries to save the town. He fails on both fronts. The monster turns out to be much tougher than he looked and kicks Spike's ass. He beats him down like a rag doll. The sweet lady finds out Spike's secret and runs away in horror.

The story, though, is a happy one. Spike makes a small step toward redemption. He finds a way to get a new pair of boots without killing anyone, stealing them, or getting a damn job.

Georges thought it might make a good comic and put me in touch with Scott Allie at Dark Horse. It's hitting the stands soon, and it looks great. It totally and unequivocally rocks! I say that with all appropriate modesty.

Conversely, how much control did you have over Spike when Buffy and Angel were still on the air? Did you ever put your foot down when a script contained something you thought that Spike wouldn’t say or do?

I had no control whatsoever over Joss Whedon. He, and the other writers on Buffy, were the chefs. I was merely a waiter. I don't discount my part. Being an honest actor is not simple. It takes courage. It's a lot of work. Nonetheless, they cooked the dish. I served.

So I guess the next logical question is, have you talked to Joss to let him know that Spike is finally and officially yours to control completely? And is he mad about it?

I sent the script to Joss and got his highest compliment. Silence. It's a much better reaction than him writting to me to tell me all the ways that the story sucks and how to fix it. I assume he's pleased with it, or at least not too pissed off by it. Otherwise, believe me, he'd let me know.

What’s your writing process like? Do you hunker down on your own, or have you talked with other people about this story as you write it?

The story leapt out of me over the course of a week. It had been bottled up in my head for so long that it had no shyness about coming out. Then I showed it to all of the original Buffy writers to get their input. They are now my good friends, and were all very kind and creative.

I remember David descriping the concept of the "Themeny," the enemy who also embodies the theme. That was gold.

Are there any stories you want to write for Spike that you think you could never get away with?

I am at heart a subversive artist, so I am always trying to come up with stories that I could never get away with, and then telling those stories, anyway. Scott at Dark Horse says he's open to me doing more of these in the future, so I'm brainstorming with David Fury these days about more ways to put Spike through the grinder. David says that writing and producing the new 24 is fun and all, but he misses the days where he could create demons, rip people's heads off and send them to hell. David is a hoot.

You’re an unabashed fan of Shakespeare. Let’s imagine for a moment that Shakespeare is a vampire and is still alive. What do you think the bard would be writing about now?

I think the closest thing we have to Shakespeare today is Martin Scorsese. The Wolf of Wall Street, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull are like Titus Andronicus, or Pericles. Hugo was like a Tempest or a The Winter's Tale. If Shakespeare were around today and were a vampire, he would go to Martin's house, rip his throat out and take over his niche.

Joss is doing that little Avengers project. If you could be involved, is there a character in that world you’d want to take a crack at playing?

If Joss wanted to make me an Avenger, I would hope that he would make me Deathcry.

Nick Brendon has also entered the fold and is writing some of the Buffy comic. Throw down the gauntlet. Taunt him like a pro wrestler. Make him feel small and helpless.

I heard Nick Brendon is also writing a comic. I say good luck to him. He's a good man. It will no doubt be hilarious. No, I'm not going to bait him for your pleasure. You sick-o.

You try to make a guy attack a former colleague one time ... and finally, as you know Syfy makes really classy movies like Sharknado, and Sharktopus, and Ghost Shark. If you were given the chance to make your own Syfy movie, what would you call it?

My Syfy movie would be called "Sharkactor." It would be about a shark who goes around trying to convince people that he's actually a squid, or a bass. In the end he discovers that all along he was really just trying to find himself.

Spike: Into the Light, written by James Marsters and drawn by Derlis Santacruz, will be available this summer, July 16, 2014.

Also reminder:Buffy Season 10 launches tomorrow with Buffy # 1.

ETA

Potentially big spoiler for Buffy S10 # 1.

https://twitter.com/emmacaulfield/st...25231497326593

emma caulfieldVerified account‏@emmacaulfield ·
So this is happening. Wednesday #Buffy Season 10 & Anya's back! (sort of!) http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/22-5...e-Morris-cover

Lisa Douville ‏@mrsmeklar · 40m
@emmacaulfield How do you feel about this?

emma caulfield ‏@emmacaulfield · 38m
@mrsmeklar It's cool. I'm sure they will do something fun with her.
1:52 PM - 18 Mar 2014 · Details

So Anya is back somehow or sort of?

ETA 2

Second advanced review for Buffy # 1.

http://www.newsarama.com/20604-best-...tart-more.html

Best Shots Advance Reviews: BUFFY Season 10's Perfect Start, More

by David Pepose, Best Shots Team Lead
Date: 18 March 2014

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #1
Written by Christos Gage
Art by Rebekah Isaacs and Dan Jackson
Lettering by Richard Starkins and Jimmy Betancourt
Published by Dark Horse Comics
Review by Michael Moccio
‘Rama Rating: 10 out of 10

This might be nostalgia talking, but Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs kill it with the first issue of Season 10, proving definitively that the series is in good hands. All right, it’s definitely not nostalgia — these two put together an issue that echoes the wit of the original series and begins what seems to be another incredible installment in the Buffy franchise. Even though the Scooby Gang deals with cleaning up Santa Rosita of the zombie vampires (“zompires”) and the repercussions of brining magic back, the creative team still brings that all-important enjoyment of Buffy to the table to create a stellar first issue. Each of the characters we know, love, and have so many opinions about feel completely true to their characters, despite this new setting, new creative team, and new rules of the world.

The overall story of the issue serves as a great entry point into the new season. Gage starts at a high tension point in the narrative as the Scooby Gang continues to evacuate Santa Rosita. This immediately engages readers, especially because the Scoobies are doing what they do best by fighting the good fight and we can’t help but root for them. Though some past details will be fuzzy for casual readers of past seasons or new readers jumping on from the television series, the strength of the issue will keep them entertained and engaged enough to get hooked.

Arguably, the most important aspect of Buffy is the dialogue between characters. Dark Horse Editor-in-Chief Scott Allie has gone on record before, most recently at the past NYCC, that “Buffy can’t have bad dialogue,” even with a good story. As the editor of the issue, Allie should be rest assured that Gage has successfully carried on the tradition of witty and fun back-and-forth between the core characters. Everyone gets a chance to shine during the issue: from Andrew, to Buffy, to Dawn, and Faith — there’s at least one quip that makes readers smile. Gage’s real talent, however, is framing the dialogue so that it doesn’t feel forced, particularly with Buffy’s internal exposition.

It might seem strange for people who don’t know her to see Buffy wondering about Dawn and Xander’s relationship during an intense getaway scene, but because Buffy draws a comparison between their relationship and her divorced parents’, Gage lets readers know exactly why Buffy is thinking what she’s thinking. It’s this ability that allows Gage to seamlessly integrate those bits of dialogue that make these characters human and relatable, despite the fact that they’re doing things in situations none of us as readers would ever be in. While Gage has hiccups with the dialogue at points — “downright Shakespearean” sounded strange, and “what the Friar Tuck” just didn’t seem to fit Spike at all — he, overall, nails it so consistently that his success far outweighs his small mistakes.

Gage should count himself lucky to be collaborating with Isaacs, whose visual style capitalizes on Gage’s ability to write great dialogue. These characters look like their real-life counterparts, which is one of the hardest feats to accomplish while illustrating books such as Buffy. Paired with her ability to draw dynamic fight sequences, Isaacs art is stellar and striking. Her breakdowns and sense of time are her greatest strengths: as she cuts to different characters with dialogue, she elevates Gage’s writing to the next level. Her breakdowns echo the editorial style seen in the television show, both of which depend on proper timing and succeed in delivering the greatest punch with the dialogue.

The climax of the issue matches any of the most heartfelt scenes of the entire Buffy canon, and shows the creative synergy between Gage and Isaacs. Buffy finally reunites with an old friend, and it couldn’t have been better. It’s Isaacs illustrations that make the scene as powerful as it is: as they fight towards each other, leading to hugs and tears, readers will finally get the emotional gratification they’ve been waiting for — and it feels so good.

There’s so much going right in this issue that the small and subtle imperfections are completely eclipsed by the sheer enjoyment fans of the series will experience with this issue. By the end, anyone who was on the fence about Season 10 should be convinced that it’s going to be one hell of a ride. Between the humor that comes from the strong cast of characters, to Gage’s on-point writing, to Isaacs’ superb art, and Allie’s experience in keeping true to the Buffy mythos while still allowing creative teams to be unique, this entire team promises what looks to be another fantastic addition to the series.

Leyki has her spoiler review of the issue up too.

http://leykimayri.wordpress.com/2014...-rules-part-1/

Last edited by comic fan; 03-18-2014 at 06:10 PM
Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the information.
Emily
Reply   Post New Thread