Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Officially Canceled 24 Season 8 Final season No spoilers allowed (see first post )

Edit on March 29 : Please with all the news articles and information /interviews do not post anything about the ending, that may be hinted at in the coming weeks . I myself will use extreme caution in posting interviews news items . We all want to enjoy and be surprised, as the final countdown of 24 begins officially tonight .

Thank you all in advance for understanding

24: DAY EIGHT” WILL BE THE AWARD-WINNING SERIES’ FINAL SEASON

Two-Hour Series Finale Airs Monday, May 24, on FOX

In a joint decision made by 24’s star and executive producer Kiefer Sutherland, executive producer and showrunner Howard Gordon, Twentieth Century Fox Television, Imagine Entertainment and Fox Broadcasting Company, it was determined that the acclaimed series will end its remarkable eight-season run. Jack Bauer’s last day on FOX will conclude when the final two hours of “Day Eight” air Monday, May 24 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). As the countdown to the series’ climactic conclusion races on, the final 11 hours will air uninterrupted Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Multiple award-winning series star Kiefer Sutherland reflected on the show’s run: “This has been the role of a lifetime, and I will never be able to fully express my appreciation to everyone who made it possible. While the end of the series is bittersweet, we always wanted 24 to finish on a high note, so the decision to make the eighth season our last was one we all agreed upon. This feels like the culmination of all our efforts from the writers to the actors to our fantastic crew and everyone at Fox. Looking ahead to the future, Howard Gordon and I are excited about the opportunity to create the feature film version of 24. But when all is said and done, it is the loyal worldwide fan base that made it possible for me to have the experience of playing the role of Jack Bauer, and for that I am eternally grateful.”

Executive producer and showrunner Howard Gordon said, “Kiefer and I have loved every minute of making 24, but we all believe that now is the right time to call it a day. I echo his sentiments of gratitude toward the show’s amazing creative team, as well as the studio and network who have always believed in us and shown us unbelievable support.”

“24 is so much more than just a TV show – it has redefined the drama genre and created one of the most admired action icons in television history,” said Peter Rice, Chairman, Entertainment, Fox Networks Group. Kevin Reilly, President, Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company added, “We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series and will be forever thankful to Kiefer, the producers, the cast and crew for everything they’ve put into 24 over the years. It’s truly been an amazing and unforgettable eight days.”

“We are so grateful to Kiefer and Howard who have really poured their hearts and souls into making this show over the past eight seasons,” commented Gary Newman and Dana Walden, Chairmen, Twentieth Century Fox Television. “To everyone who contributed to this iconic series over its amazing run, we want to extend our heartfelt appreciation for your incredible work.”

Added Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer, “I’m so proud to have been a part of 24, which has become such a cultural phenomenon. And to Kiefer and Howard and everyone who has worked on the show, many thanks.”

Now in its eighth season with Kiefer Sutherland starring as the heroic Jack Bauer, the inventive and suspenseful 24 has been nominated for a total of 68 Emmy Awards, winning for Outstanding Drama Series in 2006. Over the course of seven seasons, Sutherland garnered seven Emmy nominations and one win for Outstanding Lead Actor – Drama Series. While the series gained global recognition, Sutherland’s portrayal of the legendary character penetrated the American psyche like no other dramatic television character to become part of the English lexicon.

Premiering November 6, 2001, 24 employed a pioneering split-screen, fast-paced format with complex interweaving storylines as viewers followed anti-terrorism agent Jack Bauer through 24 pulse-pounding episodes, each covering one hour and presented in real time. Subsequent seasons combined the show’s unique and trend-setting format while delivering compelling new elements and attracting talented actors and guest stars, including the Emmy Award-winning Cherry Jones (President Allison Taylor). The series also currently stars Mary Lynn Rajskub (Chloe O’Brian), Anil Kapoor (Omar Hassan), Annie Wersching (Renee Walker), Katee Sackhoff (Dana Walsh), Mykelti Williamson (Brian Hastings), Freddie Prinze Jr. (Cole Ortiz), Chris Diamantopoulos (Rob Weiss) and John Boyd (Arlo Glass).

The first six seasons were set in Los Angeles, and following the strike-induced delay of Season Seven, “24: Redemption,” a two-hour film bridging Seasons Six and Seven, was set in Africa. Washington, D.C. was the setting for Season Seven, and the final season of 24 finds Jack Bauer thwarting a terrorist attack in New York.

At the conclusion of Season Eight, 24 will have a produced a total of 194 episodes (including “24: Redemption”), making it one of the longest-running action television shows in history.

Tune in Monday, March 29 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) for the next all-new installment of 24 and Monday, April 5 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) for a special two-hour episode.

Created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran, 24 is a production of 20th Century Fox Television and Imagine Television in association with Teakwood Lane Productions. Howard Gordon, Evan Katz, David Fury, Manny Coto, Brannon Braga, Brad Turner, Alex Gansa, Kiefer Sutherland and Brian Grazer are executive producers, while Chip Johannessen and Patrick Harbinson serve as co-executive producers. Brad Turner will direct the series finale.

Last edited by Logan; 03-29-2010 at 12:33 PM Reason: edited offical press release
Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I hope it's not true
Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Elite Fan

I saw this earlier today. How reliable are they? I'm really hoping they are wrong, I won't have anything to watch without 24

Vicky
Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucas4life (View Post)
I saw this earlier today. How reliable are they? I'm really hoping they are wrong, I won't have anything to watch without 24
Seriously?

I hope they are not right
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

24's Final Countdown Begins
March 10, 2010 07:30 PM EST

The news that Fox’s 24 will most likely conclude at the end of this eighth season comes as no shock to the show’s creative team or star Kiefer Sutherland. Two months ago at Fox’s Television Critics Association presentation, the show’s longtime creator, Howard Gordon, told me, “We always thought this could be the end. In year’s past, barring disaster, we knew there would be future seasons. This is the first time there’s really been no substantive negotiations about a ninth year. Kiefer’s contract is up. Mine is up. Some writers are already leaving to do other shows. So to me, it’s more possible than ever that this is the end.”

One of the series’ most popular alums, actor Gregory Itzin, who reprises his role as disgraced President Charles Logan next month, had heard season eight would likely be the last, which is why producers scrambled to bring him back.

“This has been a rumor that’s been circulating,” confirms Gregory, praising the series’ longevity. “Any show that lasts eight seasons is amazing. It all started with a gimmick and who would imagine that the gimmick would have as much life as it is has? Every year, even I asked, ‘How are they going to throw the entire world into jeopardy this time?’ It’s quite a salute to the writers and Kiefer for their unflagging energy and devotion.”

Gregory suspects the loss of a perennial ratings winner could hurt Fox. “I suppose it will be a bit of a blow,” says Gregory. “It’s been a revenue stream and a source of employment for a great number of really good actors.”

But Fox the network's loss will likely be Twentieth Century Fox the movie studio’s gain, as Gordon told me he would aim to bring Jack Bauer to the big screen within 18 months of the series’ conclusion. “I think the fans could wait a year or a year and a half for the movie, but not much longer than that,” said the exec, confirming that “Kiefer has had the conversation with (Twentieth Century Fox)” about headlining the film.

One ticket holder in line will be Gregory, who would be honored to play Logan again in the 24 movie. “I think it’s a good thing,” says Gregory, noting however that the show’s 24-hour premise would have to be altered. “No one has talked to me about it, but you can’t shoot a 24-hour movie, can you?” (Though Kevin Costner has tried.)

So how will Jack’s final season conclude? Not with a cliffhanger, assured Gordon. “You can’t do that,” he said, hinting that Jack may even get a peaceful respite with his daughter in Los Angeles before being summoned back to action on the big screen.

“In my mind, I always thought Jack was too scarred and broken and had been through too much to live happily ever after, but last season Jack forgave himself,” reminded Gordon. “That being said, there is a fragility and vulnerability to the character, and this season Jack goes to dark places he’s never gone to. So even if the (series presents) a happily-ever-after, I’m not sure Jack could ever live happily ever after.”

Fortunately, Los Angeles is packed with therapists accustomed to dealing with strong personalities – including plenty of big-screen action stars.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Don't like the news
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
MST Manager

Utter devastation if this is true.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I know, 24 is to great
Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

today this little tidbit

24 crew member: NBC head huge fan and trying to acquire 24 in a profitable way
Posted by Tariq Gamei at Friday, March 12, 2010
Labels: 24

from the twitter of a crew member

NBC's Angela Bromstad is a major league 24 fan and is extremely motivated to find a way to get 24 on NBC

Twitter

Frankly If Fox sees a very very strong interest by another major network then ,my own 24 fan opion, is Fox would keep it rather then let another network profit from 24 ...
Old 03-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

24 on NBC
Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes they would dump Heroes :

If NBC shows huge interest,just not sure where they have the money .

Frankly I don't understand why Fox can't negotiate #1 with Kiefer to lower his pay for one final season . #2 That cost cutting of his huge pay,alone would save Fox a lot of money on 24 costs .

Edit More News official not just a tweet about NBC interest

Exclusive: NBC may make time for '24'
by Michael Ausiello
Categories: 24, News, Scoop
Fox24 may live to see another day after all

Multiple sources confirm to me exclusively that 20th Century Fox has approached NBC about picking up the series should Fox opt to cancel it — and the Peacock is considering it. “There’s definitely some interest,” says an insider close to the talks.

Earlier this week, reports surfaced that 20th (a.k.a. the studio) and Fox (a.k.a. the network) are nearing a mutual decision to end the serial thriller after eight seasons due to declining ratings and rising costs.
A move to NBC — while still considered somewhat of a long shot given the hefty price tag — would likely delay 20th’s plans to launch a Jack Bauer film franchise. From a production standpoint, 24 execs have long maintained that it would ne next to impossible to make a movie while the series was still on the air.
Reps for 20th and NBC declined to comment.
Tvbythenumbers has a different spin and says this Ausiello news was old and possible Fox can make a deal with NBC and make up the $$$ on DVD sales

Posted on 12 March 2010 by Robert Seidman

Days ago both Michael Schneider at Variety and Josef Adalian at The Wrap reported Fox would likely dump 24, and that it was being shopped to NBC. More than a week ago James Hibberd talked to Angela Bromstad and quoted her on NBC’s interest in 24.
But those days ago and week+ ago reports be damned. It’s Friday March 12, and today that whole story is Michael Ausiello’s EXCLUSIVE. What a douche nozzle he can be.
It sure seems to me that there’s no new news here. Fox was already shopping it to NBC and NBC was already at least interested enough to discuss it. I remain doubtful that Fox will strike a deal with NBC. The reason Fox isn’t interested in it itself is because of increasing costs and diminishing ratings. NBC needs to find its own hits rather than riding someone else’s long-in-tooth retreads into the ground.
However, it’s possible Fox (the studio) could cut NBC a sweetheart of a deal that changes my thinking. One additional reason Fox (the broadcast network) wasn’t interested is it needs that slot after House to try to launch a new series (I think it was Adalian who reported that — it might have been Schneider or Hibberd, too, but it definitely wasn’t Ausiello).
That makes some sense, and 24 was still a relatively strong DVD seller last season. I don’t see Fox offering it to NBC for dimes on the dollar, but I could see Fox at least discounting it a bit hoping to make it back up in DVD, syndication and any international licensing.

ohhhhh things are getting interesting ........

Last edited by Logan; 03-12-2010 at 08:50 PM
Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm kind of happy now
Old 03-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Part-Time Fan

(The following is my rant)

What really grinds my gear aside from the possible "cancellation" is that so-called "fans" are actually wanting 24 to pack it in (and egging it on), bunch of of

And worse of all, these people often claim to be "long time fans"...

I watched 24 when it first broadcast on air back then, and Fox at the time was shifting its schedule left and right. It wasn't until season 2 which 24 had a fixed time slot (Tuesday 9:00pm) after American Idol (this continued until end of season 3).Come to think of it, aside from season 6, I really has no problem with the plot or characters etc and still enjoying each season, not to mention as a long time fan, I still want the show to continue.

It still baffling that why people claim to be "fans" and keep on bashing the show at the same time.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I never bashed the show but I do believe Season 1-5 will always be the best but all the episodes are still great and I want the show to continue.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Which Shows Need to End?

* Mar 16, 2010 01:33 PM ET
* by Gina DiNunno
Which Shows Need to End? - TVGuide.com Asks | TVGuide.com

The Simpsons, 24

TV networks always have one or two shows that overstay their welcome, and we want to know which series you think should be cut loose.

Maybe the animated world of The Simpsons is getting a bit stale after 20 seasons, or Project Runway's recycled challenges are starting to lose your interest. Perhaps you're tired of networks resurrecting hand-me-down shows from their competitors. (We're looking at you, 24.) Or how about Two and a Half Men, now that it's become Two and Three-Quarter Men?

Report: NBC eyes 24 pick-up

So, you tell us: Which shows should be laid to rest even if their ratings remain strong? Or are you happy with television's long-running series?

Share your picks and your reasons why in the comments below, and check back to see if your choices m