Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-17-2017, 08:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
He is a man
True and he has a lot of producer friends

Quote:
and Friends are like the biggest show ever.
which has been over forever though and it doesn't seem to be working for Schwimmer and whats-his-face who was playing the moron and they have aged better than Perry

Quote:
But it's not like Grey's is any better, yet it still on air. Why?
Waaaaaaay more shippers and shipping available. That's the one way to go if you want to keep an ABC lady show on the air

Quote:
It's true. And these type of people is also the one who scream "racism!!!1", "anti-feminist" first.
Sometimes there's cause to scream about a show but a lot of times, it's the tumblr mob getting worked up. And then when stuff is really objectionable, nobody is taken seriously

Quote:
SO true. Shonda is all about cheap explosions/guns/omg moments. And it's not like she is main Grey's writer, she barely wrote 30 episodes of like 300.
She's still the showrunner though. So she calls the shots especially for the big plays like explosions, character deaths and biiiiiig dramaaaaaa

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I'm making my own reality. I don't know what you look like either
The stories we want to believe...
And also boo, I'm pretty sure I tweeted my pic once
Btw, I've been meaning to ask, are you on Facebook? PM me, I want us to be proper friends (I don't post much, but just in case)

Quote:
... and yet they want to ignore the possibility of a happy ending for him?
Liz said a few times that she hates happy endings Apparently it's cathartic* for her that a character who have been through hell and lost everything and everyone is betrayed and killed by a person closest to him in the end.
(* an actual word she used describing the effect this dark version of a resolution to the darkness/light conflict have on her)
Also, even if we forget about Flint's fate, what about Silver? I might not be his biggest fan, but are we to believe that he's OK with killing his best friend? (while he wasn't even able to kill Billy, who he was friends with for what? 3 minutes?). Even if they gonna defend his decision that he's just a flawed character in a difficult situation (Flint killed Gates after all), he ***ing lied to Madi about it! Pretending that all he cares about is that she's alive, no matter what she might think of him.

Quote:
Because they want the conclusion to be concluding things. They want their feelings vindicated so they say that to him, hoping they get the thumbs up.
I'm laughing hard because it actually can be said about me as well, only I'm on an opposite side of the argument. When I watched the finale the idea that Silver could be lying crossed my mind, but I dismissed it because it's too cruel (and kinda contradictory to some points the show itself made throughout its course) and some details just didn't add up. But then lots of people started to actively push this theory as somehow being more sophisticated and deep, and I was in agony, desperately trying to find vindication in the creators interviews And I feel that I did, even while they said it's up for the viewers (Steinberg blatantly said in a couple of them that Flint dying in Savannah was one of the things that felt important to them in canon, so Silver sending him there "out of mercy" was a way to respect canon, but spin it so that it makes sense emotionally. They also liked the idea that "it turns into loneliness later on, presumably when Thomas dies of old age". But more importantly, they retweeted that post about how the version of the ending you prefer speaks more about you). So, guilty as charged
But then again, I don't interview the writer, pretending to speak for the fandom telling him how much the Freedom in the Dark speech and the ending in general meant to people and how much tweets and emails they'd got about it, and also saying multiple times on twitter how they "love all of the variations of the beautiful ending" and " beautiful levels of conversation" and then... totally dismissing the opportunity to actually discuss different versions of the ending. They never even mentioned Thomas in their podcasts after the finale (they've had S4 wrap, the series round table with a few other people who reviewed the show, and now JS interview), not once! Completely ignoring what it means for Flint to be reunited with him after he had waged a ***king war in his name! As if it somehow diminishes all the tragedies that's happened over the past ten years, as if it's all sunshine and rainbows from now on. They made a good point that Silver was lying to himself if he truly believed that all the horrors of Flint's life could be *unmade* by the simple act of reuniting with Thomas, human psychology doesn't work like that. But that is not the proof that he lied about the whole situation

Btw, there's a great post about all the foreshadowing of Flint's end: https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackSails/...dowing_flints/

Quote:
So they have this idea that the show is about who's good and who's not and at this point, they pick a side.
It's ***ing ironic given that the show itself made a point how these characters are neither monsters nor heroes That was literally the central theme of the show!

Quote:
And yet, her own character develops through that supporting role. Even though there is so much we don't know about her, and her past, this connection is what makes her so vital to the show.
And the tragedy of her story is that she dies the moment she decides to *put herself back in the narrative* (*wink*wink*). I guess it really hits too close to home for me that despite spending so much time in isolation and feeling so alone and almost reaching her breaking point she still has the strength to turn her face to the sun and smile, and enjoy these little things. To me, it's the real act of heroism.

Quote:
most people have these bizarre misconceptions about same sex relationships that somehow they are about imitating traditional gender-based relationships
I'll forever lol at this:

Quote:
Nobody is the aggressor and it's all the more important in a relationship between men because again, misconceptions, and you wouldn't want anyone to believe Flint is being forced into something he doesn't want. It's very clear at this point that they are both willing and reaching for each other.
Black Sails is all about deconstructing misconceptions, isn't it?
You have this masculine protagonist who kills a dude with his bare hands, who's determined to reach his goal no matter what, but who feels so deeply, who rages and who weeps, and who can be vulnerable. And he's a total softy around Thomas. I feel that in their dynamic Thomas is the one who leads and Flint follows (in every sense possible). It's even obvious in their finale scene, it's funny how pre-S4 idea of alive Thomas was that he would be the one who needs support, pale and thin and weak, when in reality it's Flint who's clinging to him all crushed and Thomas does the comforting. That's what homophobes hate/fear, right? That a masculine guy can be treated *like a woman*.

Quote:
I feel I need to rewatch, not the whole season maybe, but the finale, to think about things we discussed
OK, but there's no need to dig too deep For me it's just fun to notice these little details both in Hamilton and Black Sails, like e.g. this theme of fleeting time ("you write like you're running out of time" in Hamilton; sand-glass on Flint's flag and an infamous clock from Thomas' study). And the idea of "reclamation" of the past by telling the stories of those who were silenced by the victors.

Quote:
although he is a cop's son and well, that kid's disappearance when he was young, informed his life more than he'd wanted
Good point. They at least showed why that insult would hurt him, unlike with Wolfgang and "nazi". I mean, I get that it's a collective trauma the Germans are dealing with, but they never showed it personally effects him (or does my memory fail me? ). All the other things are tied with characters' personal arcs.
I guess I probably shouldn't have said I hate-watched it, I tend to exaggerate when I'm bitter. I obviously enjoyed most of the storylines. But then some things are really bugging me, for example can we please stop having bi/pan characters say that they "fall in love with the person, not their genitals". Again, I understand the meaning behind it (I don't distinguish. Italian, Mexican, Thai, why does one choose one food over the other? ), but the phrasing only makes it look like straight and gay people are not open-minded enough (although I'd say it's true about some people who identify as straight ), and it perpetuates this idea that same sex relationships are all about sex. (And I'm perfectly aware that equal amount of problematic ™ things is said by the other party, and that too should stop)

Quote:
never! I've enjoyed our talks way too much and you are entitled to act out
I'm glad we've cleared up where we stand in our relationship.

Quote:
EXACTLY! Thank you! Damn, I don't know how many times I've posted this on imdb and other places. It's about the journey, not about the question.
It's funny but that's exactly what I hated about Lost IDK, they put so many puzzles and mystery in there only to let the audience know in the end that they never meant to explain anything, we should have just enjoyed the ride! The show probably wasn't for me anyway, I watched the last couple of seasons half asleep.

Quote:
Hell, we don't even know if she ever had a father. For all we know, she could have been born to one of these teenagers her "aunt" was using to make babies for rich Americans and because she was "blind", she was set aside.
Noooow I really feel stupid, this idea never crossed my mind Oh wow, I probably need a rewatch, I missed a lot of details.

Quote:
Most people just assume that she's lying because of the books found under her bed. Why? IF her story is true, wouldn't it be natural for her to buy books about angels and anything Homer related and other dimensions?
Yeah. Also, some people think that FBI guy might have something to do with it, I myself don't think so, but it is suspicious he was in the house when nobody was there.

Quote:
I get that but there is more to any person than who they are attracted to. There are many ways you can relate to any given characters that are not about who they sleep with.
I agree, but I don't think it's necessarily about identifying with the character, not directly anyway, more like sympathizing with a member of the family And probably validation, given that up until very recently such characters were either reduced to a punchline, or a villain, or it ended tragically. And even now, I almost don't watch shows made in our country but I have yet to see a queer character who is written like a normal human being (also, not only in subtext). And when media is the only place where most straight people can "meet" queer people, it's a pretty big deal.
But I can see both points, really, as I have never rolled my eyes harder than when I saw someone asking if it'd be enough to understand the dynamic between Root and Shaw if they watched a compilation of only their scenes together or something. No, honey, it most definitely would not. You don't want to watch a show with great arcs, themes and characters, your choice (it's more than 100 eps after all), but you won't be able to understand their relationship in all its glory and what it means for both of them if you don't know who they are and where they're coming from and don't see their relationship with other characters and people in general.
Or Homeland. I hope I won't spoil too much (I still haven't seen the last 2 eps myself), but they killed off one of the characters in the finale, and fans started the "campaign" on twitter #No*SaidCharacter*#NoHomeland. Like, really? I totally get the frustration with the endless misery, but this? Can't relate, sorry.

I have another question. If I decide to watch Doctor Who, but I don't want to watch all seasons, which one should I start with?

Last edited by PetiteFleur; 05-19-2017 at 03:34 AM
Old 05-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
True and he has a lot of producer friends

which has been over forever though and it doesn't seem to be working for Schwimmer and whats-his-face who was playing the moron and they have aged better than Perry

Waaaaaaay more shippers and shipping available. That's the one way to go if you want to keep an ABC lady show on the air

Sometimes there's cause to scream about a show but a lot of times, it's the tumblr mob getting worked up. And then when stuff is really objectionable, nobody is taken seriously

She's still the showrunner though. So she calls the shots especially for the big plays like explosions, character deaths and biiiiiig dramaaaaaa
LeBlanc is actually doing TV show "Episodes" which was renewed for 5th season and Shwimmer was in OLJ show. I think they both are actually doing better than Perry, but Perry was the only marketable one, IMO.
And there is pretty much no couples on Grey's. Derek is dead, Callie left, etc. Speaking about Grey's, ew, that finale was something. Another CGI scene at the end with a lot of helicopters.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Supreme Fan

Liked the finale, thought it didn't feel like a season finale. Had more of a mid season finale vibe. There were some inconsistencies, but overall it was a strong episode. Loved Meredith. She was so sweet to Nathan. I don't like that they are apparantly hooking up Jackson and Maggie. Saw it coming episodes ago, but still.

And agreed about the couples. There are barely any longtime couples left. Good thing the show has so many characters. Most characters are likeable and yet flawed, so relatable. That's the reason why the show is still going strong. Besides...you cannot compare a series with 20 episodes to a show that's reaching 300 episodes next season

Agreed about the last scene. That was super obvious. But again, I don't mind really. Maybe we should talk about the actual series instead of just talking about the CGI? Would make it more fun for me to post in this thread, you know?
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Extreme Fan

Well, bad CGI is the only interesting thing about show, tbh.
Stephanie didn't die despite being in the middle of explosion that ruined half hospital. Ben becoming a firefighter... Eh.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
LeBlanc is actually doing TV show "Episodes" which was renewed for 5th season
That's literally his first tv show since the massive failure of his Friends spinoff and besides that he's done a B movie and a few episodes of Lisa Kudrow's web series. So in 11 years, I wouldn't say his career has been booming.
And I've tried Episodes. He basically plays himself in one of those comedies that HBO will never cancel because it costs nothing

Same for Schwimmer. Before his supporting role in the OJ show, he's been doing third tier guest stars... and a voice in all the Madagascar movies
Not exactly A-lister material.

Quote:
I think they both are actually doing better than Perry, but Perry was the only marketable one, IMO.
And he was thought of as hot at some point

Quote:
And there is pretty much no couples on Grey's. Derek is dead, Callie left, etc. Speaking about Grey's, ew, that finale was something. Another CGI scene at the end with a lot of helicopters.
Apocalypse Now style?

Quote:
Stephanie didn't die despite being in the middle of explosion that ruined half hospital.
maybe next year, they'll reveal she has super powers and she's headlining a new spinoff where she fights crime with other superheroes. Shonda HAS to be so jealous of all the MCU shows

Quote:
And also boo, I'm pretty sure I tweeted my pic once
I haven't been on twitter in months. Basically since Trump got elected. I had already lost interest because most of the people I followed and found interesting are gone and the only thing left is bitching and fangirling over shows I don't care about but Trump was the last straw. I'm staying in my bubble.

Quote:
Btw, I've been meaning to ask, are you on Facebook? PM me, I want us to be proper friends (I don't post much, but just in case)
I am one of the 0.2% of people who don't have a Facebook page. I really should get one, if only for work but I have a philosophical opposition to FB.
And aren't we proper friends already? What do I need to do?

Quote:
Liz said a few times that she hates happy endings Apparently it's cathartic* for her that a character who have been through hell and lost everything and everyone is betrayed and killed by a person closest to him in the end.
I'm not a fan of gratuitous happy endings, especially in shows that have been very tragic all along but if they make it happen organically, I'm all for it. And in this case, they pulled it off. But then I guess they knew people wanted tragedy because they left it "open".

Quote:
(* an actual word she used describing the effect this dark version of a resolution to the darkness/light conflict have on her)
I don't agree on the perspective or the use of the word actually

Quote:
Also, even if we forget about Flint's fate, what about Silver? I might not be his biggest fan, but are we to believe that he's OK with killing his best friend?
You know, that's what bums me the most about people who takes the ending like that. In TI, Silver is a bastard, ok, sure. But I don't see him acting like that in the show, not after all that happened, especially since he has a way out that doesn't include killing Flint.

Quote:
I'm laughing hard because it actually can be said about me as well, only I'm on an opposite side of the argument.
BUT we know you're on the side of the argument that the writers favor

Quote:
But more importantly, they retweeted that post about how the version of the ending you prefer speaks more about you). So, guilty as charged
guilty of being a decent human being. Shame on you

Quote:
But then again, I don't interview the writer, pretending to speak for the fandom
That's exactly my point. Going on and on about your own version of things in your podcast, feeling like you're vindicated by whatever retweets or comments or whatever (although you only hear from people who agree with you since the other have given up on you already), is one thing. Trying to shove your theory as "basically the truth" in the writer's face when he just told you that it's up to who is watching and his perspective might not be yours...

Quote:
They made a good point that Silver was lying to himself if he truly believed that all the horrors of Flint's life could be *unmade* by the simple act of reuniting with Thomas, human psychology doesn't work like that. But that is not the proof that he lied about the whole situation
It's true that it doesn't work like that but speaking from experience, love is transformative and a lot of what happened in his life had to do with losing that one love so reuniting with him, when he thought it was not even possible, might make up for a lot. Long story short: a little sunshine can make up for a lot of rain.

Quote:
Btw, there's a great post about all the foreshadowing of Flint's end: https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackSails/...dowing_flints/
Wow. Very interesting post, with a lot of great points and very well articulated too. I'm sure detractors probably stopped reading after the first paragraph but whatever, we're not there to convince them, are we?

Quote:
I guess it really hits too close to home for me that despite spending so much time in isolation and feeling so alone and almost reaching her breaking point she still has the strength to turn her face to the sun and smile, and enjoy these little things. To me, it's the real act of heroism.
she lives for the little things, hoping to get to the point where the world makes sense again.

Quote:
I'll forever lol at this:
OMG this is so awesome! I should show it to my Mom because she's still a bit confused about it. Well, she's 70 but still, it shouldn't be so hard, should it?

Quote:
Black Sails is all about deconstructing misconceptions, isn't it?
Interesting point of view. I never thought about it but it is in many ways.

Quote:
It's even obvious in their finale scene, it's funny how pre-S4 idea of alive Thomas was that he would be the one who needs support, pale and thin and weak, when in reality it's Flint who's clinging to him all crushed and Thomas does the comforting. That's what homophobes hate/fear, right? That a masculine guy can be treated *like a woman*.
that's exactly right. They're so blinded by their gender preconceptions that they just refuse to consider they've been wrong all this time about it and anything that challenges them, like gay men (especially the one who don't look or act like their idea of gay men) or trans, and even lesbians who are not acting like porn lesbians.

Quote:
For me it's just fun to notice these little details both in Hamilton and Black Sails, like e.g. this theme of fleeting time
So true! I guess that also comes from writing thoroughly human stories about long-gone historical figures. Things like that, like time running out of time, are not things we like to think about regarding our own lives. But when you think about people who lived short lives who still managed to define or redefine their time periods, you can't help but have that perspective. Because we are all running out time, it's part of our fleeting human nature. For some of us, it's a blind spot, for others, it's a motivation.
And ofc for men like Hamilton and Flint, that would be the latter.

Quote:
And the idea of "reclamation" of the past by telling the stories of those who were silenced by the victors.
It's crazy how little I knew about Hamilton. Of all the Founding Fathers, he's the one I knew nothing about. I guess that nobody will forget him now
And I love the way Black Sails has integrated fictional characters so flawlessly into actual piracy history that even though you know who's real and who's not, you still have to think about it while watching the show because Flint feels more real than any of the real characters.

I find that Hamilton and Flint have a lot in common. Especially in what appears to be their main motivation: to shape their world in a way that makes it better and freer than the one they are coming from. They seem determined to leave a legacy of freedom behind them, at all cost. And it's quite possibly because of the losses they suffered. Hamilton with his mother and Flint with Thomas.

There is a lot to say about the role of women in both Hamilton and Black Sails too and in both stories that could have been total sausage fests

Quote:
Good point. They at least showed why that insult would hurt him, unlike with Wolfgang and "nazi". I mean, I get that it's a collective trauma the Germans are dealing with, but they never showed it personally effects him (or does my memory fail me? ).
No it never showed up and well, he has enough to deal with, with his father's abuse and his criminal family but I think it is something all Germans have to contend with, even the Jewish ones, ironically.

Quote:
I guess I probably shouldn't have said I hate-watched it, I tend to exaggerate when I'm bitter.
me too and I'm a Southerner so it comes natural in any occasion

Quote:
I obviously enjoyed most of the storylines. But then some things are really bugging me, for example can we please stop having bi/pan characters say that they "fall in love with the person, not their genitals". Again, I understand the meaning behind it (I don't distinguish. Italian, Mexican, Thai, why does one choose one food over the other? ), but the phrasing only makes it look like straight and gay people are not open-minded enough
I get it but I think it's more a knee-jerk reaction to biphobia (a lot of which comes from within the gay community btw) than a comment about gay or straight people. It's just a "hey I'm different I get it but that doesn't mean I'm a ****"

Quote:
and it perpetuates this idea that same sex relationships are all about sex
I think the genitals here were just to indicate gender differentiation but I see your point. On the other hand, I don't know how many times I've seen comments on Afterellen and other "LGBT safe" sites that bi people, especially women are just really straight women who are in it for the sex or closeted gay women who can't deal with the sex so it's not just what straight people think about gay people.

Quote:
I'm glad we've cleared up where we stand in our relationship.
Even though we are not "proper friends yet"

Quote:
It's funny but that's exactly what I hated about Lost IDK, they put so many puzzles and mystery in there only to let the audience know in the end that they never meant to explain anything, we should have just enjoyed the ride!
but in their case what they meant was "ok we had no intention of ever resolving all these puzzles because we're not smart enough to do that anyway but you don't care because you enjoyed the brain tease, right? RIGHT?!"

Quote:
The show probably wasn't for me anyway, I watched the last couple of seasons half asleep.
It's funny because I'm pretty sure the writers wrote the last couple of season half asleep or half drunk

Quote:
Noooow I really feel stupid, this idea never crossed my mind
you don't have to feel stupid because I spent way too much time thinking about that show
I just can't help myself, especially with shows that have a lot of symbolism and play with metaphor and mythology a lot. I can't resist those

Quote:
Yeah. Also, some people think that FBI guy might have something to do with it, I myself don't think so, but it is suspicious he was in the house when nobody was there.
He is definitely not kosher. He doesn't seem very shocked by her story either, which is odd considering... it's a big crazy story.

Quote:
And probably validation, given that up until very recently such characters were either reduced to a punchline, or a villain, or it ended tragically.
Which is unfortunately still the case for 80% of these characters

Quote:
And when media is the only place where most straight people can "meet" queer people, it's a pretty big deal.
"Meet" queer people, knowing they're queer people because I don't believe anyone could have lived without meeting at least one but they probably didn't know it.

And yeah it is a pretty big deal. Representation has grown, and it's a good thing. Still have a problem with someone asking if a show is "lesbian enough" to deserve checking out though because a) I still don't know what "lesbian enough" means, and b) if the lead is a lesbian and you're looking for characters you can relate to, it should be enough already.

Quote:
I have never rolled my eyes harder than when I saw someone asking if it'd be enough to understand the dynamic between Root and Shaw if they watched a compilation of only their scenes together or something. No, honey, it most definitely would not. You don't want to watch a show with great arcs, themes and characters, your choice
their relationship comes from many places, not just a few scenes where they flirted and shared physical intimacy.

Quote:
Or Homeland. I hope I won't spoil too much (I still haven't seen the last 2 eps myself), but they killed off one of the characters in the finale, and fans started the "campaign" on twitter #No*SaidCharacter*#NoHomeland. Like, really? I totally get the frustration with the endless misery, but this? Can't relate, sorry.
It reminds me of the 100 Lexa nightmare. And I get it, really I do, but that thing went very far and a lot of ugly things were said that definitely doesn't get LGBT allies in our corner.

Quote:
I have another question. If I decide to watch Doctor Who, but I don't want to watch all seasons, which one should I start with?
OOoOOOOH boy did you come to the right person for this
I actually started watching in the middle and then backtracked so I'd recommend starting with season 5 episode 1 The Eleventh Hour, like I did
There is a complex reasoning for this and it's not because I don't like David Tennant but long story short: the show kinda gets a reboot at this point and you won't get as lost as you would trying any other season before that.
Give it a couple of episodes and see how you like it.

If you keep watching, you'll need to go back at some point to catch River Song's first episodes aka Silence in the Library but you can do that at any time since the episode takes place in her future anyway (it's a time travel thing and I don't want to spoil you )

Why the decision to start now?

I should really stop and go to bed now

Old 05-20-2017, 01:59 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERussia (View Post)
Well, bad CGI is the only interesting thing about show, tbh.
Stephanie didn't die despite being in the middle of explosion that ruined half hospital. Ben becoming a firefighter... Eh.
Really, if I were you and really disliked everything about the show, except for the bad CGI, I'd just stop watching to save myself a lot of frustration I don't have the time to watch things that I don't even enjoy, life is too short for that But same goes for me though Better off talking about Grey's on another board who have more people that still enjoy the show

And I must have missed that Ben is a firefighter now. He just showed them where he last saw Stephanie. Then again, with the firefighter spin-off coming it could just be that they're bringing Ben to that show, so perhaps you're right. But I didn't get the impression from just the last episode.

Lol @Carla, that Stephanie & Marvel joke too bad they won't have the chance, since the actress left the show in the season finale

Jos and I are already on S4 of Lost. Forgot how much I enjoy the show. Saw ''the constant'' yesterday, one of their best episodes ever imo.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:57 AM
Extreme Fan

Ben will obviously become a firefighter cuz they need someone from the main show to connect it with spinoff.
Quote:
Haven't seen it.
And, as Gelfling already said, if you don't have money, just don't show it. Owen could just met his sister in hospital, what was the point of this cheap scene? If it looks so bad now, imagine how badly it will age? No wonder Grey's repeats are flopping.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I don't have the time to watch things that I don't even enjoy, life is too short for that
True. Ofc that explains why I'm watching almost nothing

Quote:
Then again, with the firefighter spin-off coming
How can there be a firefighter spinoff if nobody is a firefighter? Shonda is jealous of Dick Wolfe too I guess?

Quote:
Ben will obviously become a firefighter cuz they need someone from the main show to connect it with spinoff.
Yeah that's because it's not a spinoff really.

Quote:
Lol @Carla, that Stephanie & Marvel joke too bad they won't have the chance, since the actress left the show in the season finale
Ack! That would have made a more successful spin-off probably

Quote:
Jos and I are already on S4 of Lost. Forgot how much I enjoy the show. Saw ''the constant'' yesterday, one of their best episodes ever imo.
I think I had given up in S4 but I remember that episode.

Quote:
If it looks so bad now, imagine how badly it will age?
That's a good point. People get more and more demanding about SFX quality already because technology is evolving and most movies and even video games are so good in that area, it makes tv look ridiculous but it'll be even worse 5 years from now.

Speaking of which, trailers are out for Star Trek Discovery and everybody seems to be happy with how it looks but since the trailer is probably a collage of all the big budget scenes in the whole season, I think they should hold their enthusiasm

BUT STNG, just like the Xfiles and the Twilight Zone, is among one of the most loved and rewatched scifi show and the budget was very low, with almost no SFX or pretty bad ones, and they're very old so I guess when you don't make a big deal out of the effects, and focus on the important things, people tend to be more forgiving in the long run.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Extreme Fan

I keep on hearing this every year, about how good CGI is now, but it always age badly. I was recently rewatching 2008 Hulk and it looks awful. Worse than 2003 movie, which I actually liked unlike most people.
Wow, STD (Wow such an afwul abbreviation for a show) is real? Looks okay, but a lot of dislikes for some reason.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Extreme Fan

The heavily hyped return of “Twin Peaks” on Showtime didn’t draw much of an audience Sunday, with scarcely more than half a million people tuning in to the two-hour premiere.

The premiere, which came nearly 26 years after the show last aired on ABC, drew just 506,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating among adults 18-49. It finished well out of the Top 25 original shows on cable for the day. Both its premium cable competitors, “The Leftovers” on HBO (0.3, 770,000) and “American Gods” on Starz (0.3, 631,000) drew somewhat larger audiences — as did the likes of “Keeping Up with the Karadashians” (0.6, 1.33 million) and “Naked and Afraid” (0.6, 1.99 million).

Kinda funny.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I keep on hearing this every year, about how good CGI is now, but it always age badly. I was recently rewatching 2008 Hulk and it looks awful. Worse than 2003 movie, which I actually liked unlike most people.
The Ed Norton one? Or the Eric Bana?

Quote:
Wow, STD (Wow such an afwul abbreviation for a show) is real? Looks okay, but a lot of dislikes for some reason.
yeah I know, right? They didn't think that title through
Well, they knew it was going to get a lot of smack. The old guard of trekkies are already ****ing mad about the teenager-oriented movies so they are worried about this one (and even more since Fuller bailed on it). And the "hey look at me, I'm a star trek fan! Captain Kirk is so hot!" millennials who only know the latest movies are just mad that they won't see their hotties in the show so basically everyone is preemptively mad.

Personally, I'll check it out but mostly out of curiosity and for some of the cast. Fuller wanted a female captain but ofc CBS wanted a dude and they end up with Jason Isaacs? seriously? They should have stuck with Michelle Yeoh. Oh well. In the meantime, the special effects are worrying me but if the script is good, sure I'll watch.

Quote:
The heavily hyped return of “Twin Peaks” on Showtime didn’t draw much of an audience Sunday, with scarcely more than half a million people tuning in to the two-hour premiere.
oh lordy. Wow that's a big kick in the pants. I doubt it will curb all the ridiculous "return" "reboot" "requel" () wave that tv has got going because it's mostly out of desperation and they don't care about the actual ratings but maybe they won't try with shows that have been canceled in the middle of their second season?

Quote:
The premiere, which came nearly 26 years after the show last aired on ABC, drew just 506,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating among adults 18-49.
I think that's the best part. They were actually expecting young demos to tune in for the return of a show they only know from memes and jokes?

I saw today that Falling Water and the OA were both renewed for a second season, proving that there is still a place for WTF tv shows out there and I wasn't expecting it so for WTF tv

Speaking of which, anyone watching or watched Black Mirror? This show is freaking me out!

Old 05-24-2017, 04:00 AM
Supreme Fan

Not me Carla. The only thing I'm watching atm is Lost. Started with S5 already. No clue what we're gonna be watching after that. We'll probably continue with McLeod's Daugthers. Or dive ourselves into the Marvel shows. We still have a few episodes of Chicago Fire/PD/Med/Justice to watch tho. We kinda neglected those shows as soon as we got into Lost. I heard Chicago Justice was cancelled. Can't say I'm sad or surprised about it. There was nothing interesting about the characters (maybe 1-2 characters had some story, but that's it) and it just felt off. We enjoy Chicago Med the most.

Summers are a weird thing for me. On the one hand I hate them, cause most of my favorite tv shows are off, but on the other hand it gives me plenty of time to try out new stuff/rewatch stuff/catch up on some shows, which is kinda nice. Plus there are a few nice summer shows out there. Is it GoT time already? Pretty please?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
The Ed Norton one? Or the Eric Bana?
Bana 2003 and Norton 2008.
2003 >>>> 2008.
Quote:
Well, they knew it was going to get a lot of smack. The old guard of trekkies are already ****ing mad about the teenager-oriented movies so they are worried about this one (and even more since Fuller bailed on it). And the "hey look at me, I'm a star trek fan! Captain Kirk is so hot!" millennials who only know the latest movies are just mad that they won't see their hotties in the show so basically everyone is preemptively mad.

Personally, I'll check it out but mostly out of curiosity and for some of the cast. Fuller wanted a female captain but ofc CBS wanted a dude and they end up with Jason Isaacs? seriously? They should have stuck with Michelle Yeoh. Oh well. In the meantime, the special effects are worrying me but if the script is good, sure I'll watch.
Eh, never get the fuss about ST. Also, all movies kinda flop, how they keep on making new ones? Merchandise?
Quote:
oh lordy. Wow that's a big kick in the pants. I doubt it will curb all the ridiculous "return" "reboot" "requel" () wave that tv has got going because it's mostly out of desperation and they don't care about the actual ratings but maybe they won't try with shows that have been canceled in the middle of their second season?
Yeah, I can uderstand shows that have 4-5+ popular seasons, but shows with 1.5? So much for it having a cult following.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Not me Carla. The only thing I'm watching atm is Lost. Started with S5 already. No clue what we're gonna be watching after that. We'll probably continue with McLeod's Daugthers. Or dive ourselves into the Marvel shows.
Which Marvel shows?

Quote:
I heard Chicago Justice was cancelled.
I just read that. I guess that was one too many. They should have stopped at 3.

Quote:
On the one hand I hate them, cause most of my favorite tv shows are off, but on the other hand it gives me plenty of time to try out new stuff/rewatch stuff/catch up on some shows, which is kinda nice.
It used to be when all my favorite shows were on but I still have one season of Orphan Black and GoT so it'll be alright

Quote:
Is it GoT time already? Pretty please?
Almost 2 months to go!

Quote:
Bana 2003 and Norton 2008.
2003 >>>> 2008.
Yeah I agree. The Norton one could have fixed the issues with the other one but it was way way worse.

Quote:
Eh, never get the fuss about ST. Also, all movies kinda flop, how they keep on making new ones? Merchandise?
Nah. They make hype. That's all it is now. They don't even need the actual movies. They announce a new one, get a billion press mentions and social media activity out of it. Shares go up. By the time the movie flunks the box office, they already made their money.

I read that the character played by TGW Alum Sonequa Martin-Green is actually still the lead, despite Jason Isaacs character being shoe-horned in so my hope is a bit revived.

As for the fuss about ST, well it goes back a long long way and it crosses many tv eras so it's hard to explain out of context

Quote:
Yeah, I can uderstand shows that have 4-5+ popular seasons, but shows with 1.5? So much for it having a cult following.
Yep. Same as before. Hype. They got about a year of hype out of Twin Peaks. The media got very excited for some reason. Probably because that gives them something to talk about instead of having to blind report on shows they haven't seen yet? or maybe because they have this idea that it has a "cult following" and they were hoping to look cool? I don't know.

Also "cult following" is a media trap. They always think that it means millions of people are fans. It doesn't. It means the few thousands of people who are fans, are rabid fans. Nielsen doesn't care about how much people are loving a show, they just want to see how many are watching.

Have you watched trailers and spoiler about OB btw? I'm so worried about getting spoiled, I'm staying far away from everything