Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

 
 
Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2017, 11:16 PM
  #61
Extreme Fan
 
ERussia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
ok so I'm going to double post (Mods do whatever they want? ) because otherwise it'll be a mess. Bear with me.

Anna, you're down the line


Yeah the trailers were terrible, I agree. I guess they were trying to make it look like AHS


Heh that's a good point.


Olivia de Havilland. Yeah I don't know what she was doing, but it wasn't working at all


Insecurity. That's what drove her whole life, professional and personal. She was throwing herself at men, because that's the only way she thought she could be loved. I know it sounds odd but it's common about people who were abused as children, especially repeatedly.

And her relationship with her mom, or lack of relationship, defined her. Even all the adoration from the press, from the fans, all her marriages, and her kids, were never enough to make up for the fact her mom didn't love her. I guess that was also something she was jealous of in Davis


They re-arranged some stuff chronologically but the blackmail was real. Well, as always it's according to third parties. But with the Charles and Diana thing, there's no way they're going to get anyone on the record.


yeah


She may be lobbying a little too hard. Desperate lobbying isn't always winning. Plus the fact she had a producer credit in the show and her scenes were redundant, to say the least (her character's part was much smaller in the book), made it all look a little too contrived. We'll see


Well I wouldn't have thought so either but damn, she took so much hate for it!
When she was promoting Feud, she was asked about it every damn time, and she is still taking crap for it on Twitter. Move the **** on, people, she didn't vote for Trump and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, she lives in NY so let's not pretend she got him elected


I have and it's pathetic. I guess it's for the Mr Robot crowd and the lead (who was already terrible in Downton Abbey, so that's saying a lot ) is ridiculous. But to some people, having a hard part and playing it well are the same thing I guess.
Olivia de Havilland is still alive btw and won Oldie of the year in 2016. I'm surpised that I never heard about her despite being into awards/charts type of things and she has 2 Oscars. It makes me think about how important something is now, but in few years everything will forget about it. Either way KZT did her no justice, lol.
I heard something about Joan and knew about Baby Jane movie, but nothing about her other projects. I did know who Davis is, thanks to Vogue song, though.
Spoiler:

She will probably be fuming about it tbh.
I know people like Joan in real life. They trying to hurt other people because of their own problems and if they are rich enough they can pretty much do anything they want. Guess, money truly can't buy you happiness.
Kidman is having a good year, she'll have 4 movies in Cannes and considering her role in Aquamen (what does she thinking?) they might as well award her because DC movie will probably ruin her career.
Agreee about Dan Stevens. I don't think he is a good actor at all.
I also thought that next GOT season is the last.
ERussia is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:10 PM
  #62
Dedicated Fan
 
PetiteFleur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
you have such a man crush, it's cute
Yeah, that was unexpected but the guy is cute, what's wrong with that? (don't tell me I'm alone in this?)
I actually do wonder if it's the actor or the character Probably both, because Thomas is a sweet angel (and their love is most pure and it's the only thing that can save the world
Spoiler:

OK I'll shut up now), and RPJ is a perfect casting choice.
Btw, I like this post about Thomas, kinda what I thought about when I saw some people calling him a "bland character".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Just because you deluded yourself into thinking it was a dude show that was going to fulfill your alpha make fantasies doesn't make it true.
But... but... it's a pirate show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Because they just don't grasp Flint for who he is. ALL he is. They just think of him as a tragic hero who would rather die than keep living after victory eluded him. They don't see who he is. And they don't get what his motivations were. And worse of all, they don't get his love for Thomas was the driving force behind everything else. Worst part is, I don't even think they would get it if Thomas was a woman.
But that's the thing, he doesn't even die willingly because he lost everything, if we go along with this theory, he's just killed by a person whom he trusted the most, so that this person can get his chance to stop the war and live peacefully with the woman he loves. What's so honorable in that?!
And IGN called reuniting with Thomas a consolation prize for Flint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Yeah it was totally the other way around. But she's a woman so she can't use sex to make a point, can she? Women are soft
They kinda agreed in the end that it was intentional on her part, but still thought it was a bad thing to do.

To be fair, I quite like this podcast, and really recommend it, because there're a lot of great insights there, they really understand the show's themes much better than most of the reviewers, and that's what make it worse when they miss the point.
Another thing that annoyed me is their interpretation of the iconic straightbaiting scene in S1. Their take on it is that it was a conscious decision on Flint's part not to go 'there' despite his attraction to Eleanor at that moment, as it would complicate things between them. And that is heteronormativity at its finest for you, because they started their podcast after they had watched the first three seasons, so they knew both Flint's backstory and the way their relationship developed over the course of the show.
I can understand that you can see the scene this way when you first watch it (although I didn't), because it was deliberately made to look like some typical *sexual tension* scene in order to play with viewers expectations. But upon rewatch? Nah.
Full disclosure: I personally read Flint as gay, not bi (and you've probably already guessed as I always call him a gay character just wanted to clarify that I don't use 'gay' as an umbrella term as some people do), even though I understand the concern re: bi erasure, but this is not the case here. Human sexuality is not as cut and dry as some people want it to be, and his relationship with Miranda post-London is about comforting more than anything. I'm head-banging against my desk every time I read that their miserable sex scene is a confirmation of Flint's sexual attraction to women. Like, did you even see his face there? As for their time in London, again, it's not like gay people never have sexual relationships with the people of opposite sex (even when not forced), and societal norms and expectations along with the ability (or lack thereof) to discover oneself should always be kept in mind. It's 1700s we're talking about, people!
It's kinda the same with Anne, actually. Her arc in s2 is her realizing she's gay, not bi.
Anyway, the creators called them both gay a few times, so it's not even an argument, it's just irritating sometimes to read comments that if a person had previously have relationships with the opposite sex that are meaningful then they're not gay. Way to oversimplify things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
but yeah, to answer your question, he certainly would have. In fact, Jesus was as lefty as they come. He was against organized religion and the oppression of religious structures on the people. He was for hating the sin and loving the sinner, and he was always on the side of the disenfranchised.
And every time I read something about him, it's making my head spin what a glaring gap there is between what he taught people and what religion is about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I know, right? I once got blocked by a homophobe on twitter after I asked him "do you usually think about two people ****ing when you see them in the street? And you don't think maybe the problem is with you, not them?"
I've said the same to a few people myself, and it's always amusing to watch their reaction, as if their brain fails to process what I mean and at the same time they're deeply offended by it.

But seriously, I don't get what's their problem with James/Thomas relationship, their scenes were the most chaste in the whole show, and the show is actually criticized for that, considering that the main conflict revolves around the love between them, along with the lack of other mlm characters (with some people going as far as declaring the show an utter failure for "telling, not showing" while having "Know no shame" as a main theme).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Yeah I saw that. Sometimes you have to wonder what the UN is for.
I'm not even sure that they really can change anything in this situation, especially in that region. I mean, all the economic sanctions imposed against our government officials over the past few years don't seem to bother them that much (there was a law passed recently that exempt them from taxes ), it's only regular folks who suffer, and who cares about them, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
But I'm with you. Things are and will keep getting better. They can't put the toothpaste back in the tube now. The flaring of homophobic oppression is further proof that things are getting better. It's a last ditch effort by people who know their time is past.
I personally don't think I'll be a witness of this change for the better in our country, not in my lifetime (hell, I don't even know what to expect in the near future economically and politically, and that's actually one of the reasons I've been depressed), but I can't stand the thought that it will always be this way, so yeah, someday people will live and love freely and openly even here. Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Talk about people living out of the norm. It's like it's harder for a modern audience to accept that two people can be just as close as lovers without being lovers.
Let me just quote Jon Steinberg:
Quote:
In terms of Rackham and Bonny, I think that was another thing that I assumed for a long time could never go away. That they were essentially, you know, that they were married. You know not legally, but they were functionally married. And then this story happened in Season 2 with Bonny, that I think with like with a gun to my head of things that I’m proud of with the show, probably at the top is this story of this woman coming out and understanding that she’s gay. Especially given the life she’s led, that was something we had to fight for. I think it was something that people were really weirded out by like “wait a minute, she kicks ass and she’s awesome why is she in a dress?” And so when we got to a point where it was like… I think she’s gay? Like I don’t think this is something we want to be wishy-washy about. It required getting over that hump with Rackham of Well like what am I going to do with this relationship? I don’t want to split them up? And I think it became something way more interesting, it became I think what they probably…yeah they’re twins essentially. I mean I think they are in the mythological sense they’re the twins in the story who are essentially two halves of the same person.
It's from his previous interview for Fathoms Deep (someone else transcribed it, it's not me to be thankful to )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
nah, you just need a rewatch
I persuaded a friend of mine to start watching it, so I'm rewatching some episodes as well and then we're discussing it, she started S2 yesterday and already guessed that Thomas might be gay because of that other officer's comment that Thomas probably wouldn't mind if James slept with Miranda, I'm shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Heh, hence the rewatch! Seriously though, don't you love a show that has real meaning, beyond the words, that reveals itself over time?
It's killing me, and I don't even mind (I don't know what to do with my life anyway )
Can you believe Flint said this in 2x08??
‘I always thought this journey would end in battle. A fight to preserve the things we held dear. I understood that. I was ready for that. Now, as it turns out, something else lies at the end of this road. Judgment. Not of Nassau, but of me and the man that I’ve become.
They knew it all along!
I love this comment from tumblr:
Spoiler:


There are of course other shows that have great long arcs and require your attention to lots of little details (off the top of my head, Person of Interest), but with Black Sails it's "entirely something else". And it affects you so profoundly on an emotional level, that rare shows are able to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Don't! Come here and discuss!
I honestly don't know what else I can say about it, someone posted a gifset on tumblr with the quotes from Hamilton over the screenshots from Black Sails (btw, having characters with the same last name helps as well ), and I was just floored with the awesomeness of it.
Like you have these two people (granted, one historical figure, one fictional) who struggle with the society judging them for being of 'low birth' and who work their asses off to succeed in life, who have amazing rhetorical skills and who are ultimately pursuing the same goal, i.e. the independence from England, a chance of starting fresh in the New World, and then you have this theme of power of storytelling, and what history will make of you (and who will tell your story), and I'm just at a loss for words.

Aaaaand I'm dead:

__________________
Anna
My FF handle was a joke (now I hate it).
PetiteFleur is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 11:21 PM
  #63
Elite Fan

 
Gelfling's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 47,219
I know I'm the only one watching Doctor Who but DAMN! It's so good to be back! I'm sad that it's probably the last one but I've enjoyed the season premiere (after over a year!) and I needed a show that didn't take itself too seriously so

Anyway.

Quote:
Olivia de Havilland is still alive btw and won Oldie of the year in 2016. I'm surpised that I never heard about her despite being into awards/charts type of things and she has 2 Oscars
Pretty unremarkable movies but yeah she did win twice. She's mostly remembered for Gone With The Wind though.

Quote:
It makes me think about how important something is now, but in few years everything will forget about it
Not everything is meant to become legend, it's true.

Quote:
Either way KZT did her no justice, lol.
Especially since De Havilland never talked in that breathy Maryline wannabe voice.

Quote:
I heard something about Joan and knew about Baby Jane movie, but nothing about her other projects. I did know who Davis is, thanks to Vogue song, though.
hey there's no bad way to know about Bette Davis. She even got a song in the 80ies. A bad 80ies one but it was a hit



Quote:
I know people like Joan in real life. They trying to hurt other people because of their own problems and if they are rich enough they can pretty much do anything they want. Guess, money truly can't buy you happiness.
No, it can't. And a lot of people who are collecting money like they're trying to break a record are really just little kids who were never loved and are using money to take some kind of revenge on the world (*cough* Trump *cough*). Ofc that never makes up for the love and being a ****head with lots of money is not going to get you any love either

Quote:
Kidman is having a good year, she'll have 4 movies in Cannes and considering her role in Aquamen (what does she thinking?) they might as well award her because DC movie will probably ruin her career.
I don't think there's much to her career left to ruin and the fact she's so desperately campaigning for one poor Emmy shows she knows it too.
Those Cannes movies are mostly hype material though and I suspect Elle Fanning will get the most of the hype (since she's the lead in two of them ) but I'm looking forward to the Gaiman adaptation.
I don't know what to make of the one with Alicia Silverstone and Colin Farrell though... Is it a has-been cast revenge?

Quote:
I also thought that next GOT season is the last.
Are you worried too now?
Somehow I almost wish it was GoT's last season and that OB was the one getting an extra season ( I'm still not dealing with the reality it's coming to an end)


Quote:
Yeah, that was unexpected but the guy is cute, what's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong at all with crushes of any kind especially when they're well deserved

Quote:
I actually do wonder if it's the actor or the character Probably both, because Thomas is a sweet angel (and their love is most pure and it's the only thing that can save the world
I honestly think the character wouldn't have worked at all with a lesser actor. It's a part that needed a deft touch to be able to bring so much in so little screentime. And it was well needed for the romance to work.

Quote:
But... but... it's a pirate show!
well it used to be! Now it's a free-for-all humanity lovefest and who the **** wants that?

Quote:
And IGN called reuniting with Thomas a consolation prize for Flint.
A short lived one if they also go with the theory that he died
Also, if true love is a consolation prize, I think most people want to lose now.

Quote:
Their take on it is that it was a conscious decision on Flint's part not to go 'there' despite his attraction to Eleanor at that moment, as it would complicate things between them. And that is heteronormativity at its finest for you
indeed. And even back then, that's not how I saw it at all. But really, after knowing about Flint and Thomas...

Quote:
Full disclosure: I personally read Flint as gay, not bi
Me too. Although I know sexuality is a spectrum and even someone who's never shown the slightest interest in women can fall in love with one, it's not the case here, he's gay. Or better yet, Thomassexual

Quote:
I'm head-banging against my desk every time I read that their miserable sex scene is a confirmation of Flint's sexual attraction to women.
I saw it as an attempt by two people to connect. And again, just like some degree of experimentation in college doesn't make anyone "gay", a guy who's into men having sex with a woman, or several women, doesn't make him straight or even bi.

Quote:
Anyway, the creators called them both gay a few times, so it's not even an argument, it's just irritating sometimes to read comments that if a person had previously have relationships with the opposite sex that are meaningful then they're not gay. Way to oversimplify things.
They're trying to rationalize their fears. It's human but it is annoying.
Just about as annoying as all these people identifying as gay, who just assume that bisexual means you don't have the balls to be gay.

Quote:
And every time I read something about him, it's making my head spin what a glaring gap there is between what he taught people and what religion is about now.
I'd rather believe there are no Gods because if there are, and they are at all interested in what's going on with us, they are probably weeping.

Quote:
their scenes were the most chaste in the whole show, and the show is actually criticized for that, considering that the main conflict revolves around the love between them, along with the lack of other mlm characters (with some people going as far as declaring the show an utter failure for "telling, not showing" while having "Know no shame" as a main theme).
Considering how berserk everyone went just from the implication, I can understand the lack of on screen sex or even sexual intimacy. Although I do think we'll get there eventually, and we'll get there faster if tv shows stop being so scared of losing the dudebro audience.

Quote:
I mean, all the economic sanctions imposed against our government officials over the past few years don't seem to bother them that much (there was a law passed recently that exempt them from taxes ), it's only regular folks who suffer, and who cares about them, eh?
For sure. Look at Cuba. The only people who suffered from the sanctions for decades were the ones already suffering from the oppression of their government. Double down and for what?

Quote:
I personally don't think I'll be a witness of this change for the better in our country, not in my lifetime (hell, I don't even know what to expect in the near future economically and politically, and that's actually one of the reasons I've been depressed), but I can't stand the thought that it will always be this way, so yeah, someday people will live and love freely and openly even here. Someday.
One day at a time, friend. Changes don't happen suddenly. Looking too far into the uncertain future is the best way to crumble. Dark times always seem to be enduring until someone shines a light. It happened many times through history. Have faith.

Quote:
I persuaded a friend of mine to start watching it, so I'm rewatching some episodes as well and then we're discussing it, she started S2 yesterday and already guessed that Thomas might be gay because of that other officer's comment that Thomas probably wouldn't mind if James slept with Miranda, I'm shocked!
is your friend Kalinda?

Quote:
‘I always thought this journey would end in battle. A fight to preserve the things we held dear. I understood that. I was ready for that. Now, as it turns out, something else lies at the end of this road. Judgment. Not of Nassau, but of me and the man that I’ve become.’
They knew it all along!
There are very few shows that seem to have been planned for years ahead, at least in some aspects. A lot of writers pretend to have plans but it's obvious they are lying (*cough* King Robert *cough*). Black Sails and Orphan Black are the only two shows I can think of where the truth is self evident.

Quote:
There are of course other shows that have great long arcs and require your attention to lots of little details (off the top of my head, Person of Interest), but with Black Sails it's "entirely something else". And it affects you so profoundly on an emotional level, that rare shows are able to do.
Good point. Plus PoI was never given the leeway they wanted and then they got the axe for network politics so they could never achieve what Black Sails did. They knew where they wanted to go with the character's journey and they knew how much time they had to do it.

Quote:
and I'm just at a loss for words.
Pfff words will come
__________________
Carla
~~~~~

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Gelfling is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 AM
  #64
Extreme Fan
 
ERussia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Not everything is meant to become legend, it's true.
Well, some movies are just not that big to remember. Spotlight and Moonlight, for example, barely gross anything and I doubt they will be remembered (even when they are both important movie), while La La Land will probably end up as classic, so will Emma Stone.
Quote:
I don't think there's much to her career left to ruin and the fact she's so desperately campaigning for one poor Emmy shows she knows it too.
She was never huge to start with tbh, but yeah. She even starred in Joel Schumacher movie WITH Nicholas Cage. Like, gurl, what are you thinking? Maybe she finally understood that it's better on cable, than on bad try hard blockbusters?
Quote:
I don't know what to make of the one with Alicia Silverstone and Colin Farrell though... Is it a has-been cast revenge?
More like barely beens, lol. Colin is actually a very good actor, just not lucky or smart, lol. He was in that Harry Potter spinoff and some Lobster movie, which was really acclaimed. Alicia can always lie about how B&R ruined her career, which is partly true. Clooney was able to get back on track (I think B&R was the reason he stayed on ER for few more years) and Chris O'donnell has a long running tv show, her career was doomed. Though, only Clueless was big, while her other movies pre B&R also flopped.
Quote:
Those Cannes movies are mostly hype material though and I suspect Elle Fanning will get the most of the hype (since she's the lead in two of them ) but I'm looking forward to the Gaiman adaptation.
Or Kirsten Dunst... Or Coppola... They last collab wasn't actually sucessful. Though, I enjoyed it.
That video about Davis is really strange.
ERussia is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 AM
  #65
Elite Fan

 
Gelfling's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 47,219
Quote:
Well, some movies are just not that big to remember.
True. Although it was different back in the days.

Quote:
Spotlight and Moonlight, for example, barely gross anything and I doubt they will be remembered (even when they are both important movie), while La La Land will probably end up as classic, so will Emma Stone.
I'm the wrong person to ask because I hated La La Land and I didn't think much of Spotlight and Moonlight. I think they all missed the mark but La La Land wasn't even close to having a mark to miss whereas Spotlight and Moonlight could have been truly great movies but they were too emotionally disconnected from their topics.

I like Emma Stone. I just wish she'd won for Birdman instead. I think she'll have a bigger career but I don't know if La La Land will ever amount to more than instant hype. I think that in 5 years, most people will go "meh yeah saw it, didn't get what the hoopla was all about"

Quote:
She was never huge to start with tbh, but yeah.
She had a moment after she divorced Cruise and won the Oscar but then she got her face butchered and she can barely crack an expression now.

Quote:
Like, gurl, what are you thinking? Maybe she finally understood that it's better on cable, than on bad try hard blockbusters?
Yeah I think that's it.

Quote:
More like barely beens, lol. Colin is actually a very good actor, just not lucky or smart, lol.
I can't say he's impressed me but he was alright in The Lobster. He also had his 15 mn but they've come and gone.

Quote:
He was in that Harry Potter spinoff and some Lobster movie, which was really acclaimed.
The Harry Potter prequel thing was a disaster. I don't know what possessed him, especially since he's not going to be in the next movies. The Lobster was pretty much the antithesis of that and I was SHOCKED to see it nominated for an Oscar for best original script because he didn't get anything else and it was such a small movie, I doubt they had FYC money.

Quote:
Or Kirsten Dunst... Or Coppola... They last collab wasn't actually sucessful. Though, I enjoyed it.
It was a huge bomb at Cannes. Critics were booing but I think it's a Cannes thing.

Quote:
That video about Davis is really strange.
80ies videos still freak me out. Have you ever seen the video for Total Eclipse of the Heart? they was trippin'!

__________________
Carla
~~~~~

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Gelfling is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 03:20 AM
  #66
Extreme Fan
 
ERussia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
True. Although it was different back in the days.
I think it's because of TV. Even if movie flopped in cinemas, millions have seen it on television. Nowadays they only show movies on cable and barely anyone is watching it. Now, a flop is a flop. No one will bother seeing a flop movie they never heard of on streaming platforms.
Quote:
I like Emma Stone. I just wish she'd won for Birdman instead. I think she'll have a bigger career but I don't know if La La Land will ever amount to more than instant hype. I think that in 5 years, most people will go "meh yeah saw it, didn't get what the hoopla was all about"
I'm not sure. Let's be honest, most movies and shows that are remembered are mostly generic. Were Friends the best TV show of 90s? Not even the day they aired (Aired the same day as Seinfiled and ER). And I'm not even talking about other channels. Yet it considered as classic and one of the best shows ever, why? Generic, light hearted and white. La La Land will be remembered, IMO.
Quote:
She had a moment after she divorced Cruise and won the Oscar but then she got her face butchered and she can barely crack an expression now.
LMAO at butchered face. Well, I meant star as a "movie draw". But she is obviously very well known, but she is more of Anglelina Jolie tabloid type of star. I like Angelina and applaud her charity work, but she is def not known for her movies. I feel the same about Kidman, even when she has a lot of good roles.
Quote:
The Harry Potter prequel thing was a disaster. I don't know what possessed him, especially since he's not going to be in the next movies. The Lobster was pretty much the antithesis of that and I was SHOCKED to see it nominated for an Oscar for best original script because he didn't get anything else and it was such a small movie, I doubt they had FYC money.
I hate the lead guy. I'm surprised it was a thing. But reviews were okayish and it was a big hit, so...
Quote:
It was a huge bomb at Cannes. Critics were booing but I think it's a Cannes thing.
Just to be clear we are both talking about Marie Antoinette? I just read about it and actually only few people booed it, media just jumped on it.
This movie reminded me of Mona Lisa smile. I enjoyed both, they were not as bad as some people act they are.
ERussia is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 03:59 AM
  #67
Supreme Fan

 
Alwayshappy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,237
This weekend we binge watched S1 of Thirteen Reasons Why. Only need to watch the last two episodes. Damn, this show is good. It's so emotional, well written and acted. There's buzz about a S2, but depending on where S1 closes off...I'm not sure I'd want one, because nothing can top this season imo.
__________________
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | The Good Wife | Charmed | Veronica Mars | Damages | Brothers & Sisters | The Newsroom | One Tree Hill | Game of Thrones | Bones | The Closer | How to get away with Murder | Fringe | The OC | Desperate Housewives | Homeland | Pretty Little Liars | & more |
Xbox One Tag: Alwayshappyz | Wii U tag: Alwayshappyz
Alwayshappy is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 AM
  #68
Dedicated Fan
 
PetiteFleur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I honestly think the character wouldn't have worked at all with a lesser actor. It's a part that needed a deft touch to be able to bring so much in so little screentime. And it was well needed for the romance to work.
I don't remember last time (if ever) any "love story" shook me this much to the core, as James/Thomas did. I'm forever grateful to the writers and the actors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
well it used to be! Now it's a free-for-all humanity lovefest and who the **** wants that?
The ending of Black Sails was in Treasure Island all along



God, I hate tumblr, they make me cry and laugh at the same time all the time.

Spoiler:

"They ran away together into the sunset" - "It was 2 in the afternoon" - "It was beautiful" (the source of the awesomeness)

But there are also many great thoughtful posts, and I started to take notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
A short lived one if they also go with the theory that he died
Also, if true love is a consolation prize, I think most people want to lose now.
Well, the IGN reviewer sticks with the reunion being real, but they still need to watch the show before writing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
indeed. And even back then, that's not how I saw it at all. But really, after knowing about Flint and Thomas...
Not the way I saw it either, but that's probably because I almost never notice any hints, or *tension*, or subtext at first glance, as if I'm averted to all things to do with romance, I don't know what's wrong with me
But seriously, it feels sometimes like people watch some scenes and don't make connection with what happened before or what happens next (and that is what so ****ing shocking in this case with Fathoms Deep, as they're pretty good at connecting the tiniest details). He had an argument with Miranda, after which he's so broken he's willing to drink himself to oblivion, because HE would agree with Miranda that this path [Flint] is on doesn't lead where he thinks it does. And then there's this person who he shares the vision for Nassau, who is saying to him that he's probably the only one who can realize this plan, he almost can't believe what he's hearing. Attraction, seriously, people? Are you mad? It doesn't even have anything to do with his sexuality, can you look at a bigger picture here?

And it's the same with Flint/Miranda. You're totally right, it's 100% how I saw it too, an attempt to connect. But for some people it's like: They have sex? That's it, they want each other. And they completely ignore what they're both saying in the next scene.
She's so desperate to feel alive again, and he's so desperate to give it to her (out of guilt? in return for her taking care about him? none of these things and all of them?), and they couldn't be farther apart from each other than in this moment, although they love each other deeply.
Someone wrote this about them and it's so true: "They share rage that would burn down the world and the calmness to be found in a cup of tea and a book." She made a home for him, and she is his home, and after her death it's as if he's lost his soul. There's nothing left to connect him with this world, his eyes are completely glazy. And I'm making myself cry again, and I'm not joking! I'm ruined over Miranda, too, James.

Up until recently I didn't quite understand what ghost Miranda meant when she said "You resented me because we were so close... and I threw it all away. If you join me now, what if I resented you for the same reason?"
But rewatching does help When they arrived to Charlestown, he told her that he would "retire to the interior" with her. And she'd already saw the clock and made a connection, but she kept it to herself, knowing what would happen otherwise, until James agreed to stand trial and most likely to be hanged. And I initially thought that what made her finally speak up is that Peter Ashe demanded Flint to sacrifice himself, but now I've realized that it's also because Flint was ready to give up the idea of living peacefully with her.
And again I'm like... Why, show, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
They're trying to rationalize their fears. It's human but it is annoying.
Just about as annoying as all these people identifying as gay, who just assume that bisexual means you don't have the balls to be gay.
What's interesting is that this is usually said about bi men, while with women it's almost always "oh, she just hasn't met the right man". As if a relationship with a man is the only reasonable choice both for bi men and women. I wonder why (I don't)
But yeah, the world would be a much better place if we all just stopped telling other people what they feel/think/identify as and left it to them to decide for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Considering how berserk everyone went just from the implication, I can understand the lack of on screen sex or even sexual intimacy. Although I do think we'll get there eventually, and we'll get there faster if tv shows stop being so scared of losing the dudebro audience.
In some post-S2 interview RPJ said he originally had an impression that his character would have a bigger role in the story and that some scenes were cut after TPTB freaked out. He also seemed pretty pissed about the double standard in how male same-sex relationships are portrayed compared to the female ones.
(Straight people, see? That's what being a great ally looks like!)
Fans now joke that what it took him to fly to South Africa to do a 2-minute scene for Black Sails is the producers simply mentioning that James and Thomas would make out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
One day at a time, friend. Changes don't happen suddenly. Looking too far into the uncertain future is the best way to crumble. Dark times always seem to be enduring until someone shines a light. It happened many times through history. Have faith.
Thanks, buddy I'm trying to, it's just sometimes not very healthy to live in this constant state of uncertainty, and there seem to be no generation of people in our country who had a life that would even vaguely look like some kind of stability, hence our unwillingness to make any steps to changes, among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
is your friend Kalinda?
I'm pleading the fifth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
There are very few shows that seem to have been planned for years ahead, at least in some aspects.
And Black Sails writers were able and willing to adapt the story they initially had had in mind when an opportunity presented itself to explore some other things.
Case in point: Max/Anne, as well as Max's whole arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
A lot of writers pretend to have plans but it's obvious they are lying (*cough* King Robert *cough*).
Have I told you that I didn't watch the finale and don't have a slightest idea what happened? I know Diane slapped Alicia, and that's it, I don't know the reason why she did it and, frankly, don't care. I stopped watching some time in season 5, probably after 5x05, then watched 2 episodes when Will died and 2 last Kalinda eps, and never even bothered to read a summary for the rest of the show. (It sounds like I'm proud of myself, doesn't it? )
It's pretty telling that at first it was a 6-year plan that they claimed they always had had in mind, then it suddenly became a 7-year plan. Dude, make up your mind. You once said that you only had a clear vision for the first 13 episodes. (and it shoooooows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Good point. Plus PoI was never given the leeway they wanted and then they got the axe for network politics so they could never achieve what Black Sails did. They knew where they wanted to go with the character's journey and they knew how much time they had to do it.
The finale season felt rushed, but I still liked it. Although I'm not over Root dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Pfff words will come
Talk to me! Tell me what you think and how you feel about it
__________________
Anna
My FF handle was a joke (now I hate it).
PetiteFleur is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 AM
  #69
Extreme Fan
 
ERussia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,286
Forget to mention that Total eclipse of the heart video is indeed strange.
Just checked black sails ratings and they kinda dropped hard. Is it because of that Gay story yall talking about? I think it was there from the start and I don't think many cis males watched this show to start with. Either way, it was a good show from what I've seen.
I heard polarizing reviews about 13 reasons why. People saying that this show is making suicide "cool". I kinda want to watch because of Kate Walsh, but I'm not a fan of school dramas and it looks Shondish.
ERussia is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 AM
  #70
Dedicated Fan
 
PetiteFleur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERussia (View Post)
Just checked black sails ratings and they kinda dropped hard. Is it because of that Gay story yall talking about? I think it was there from the start and I don't think many cis males watched this show to start with. Either way, it was a good show from what I've seen.
It was there right from the start hiding in the plain sight I.e. everybody was led to believe that the back story of the main character was about his affair with a wife of his best friend from the past. Cis males watched it and loved it, because pirates! Violence! A&Ts!
And then BOOM, The Big Reveal happened in 2x05 and everyone was losing their s**t, because how can you do that to their precious alpha male fantasy!
And even though Flint's lover was mentioned one way or another throughout the rest of the show, they still pretended they were shocked when his gayness was addressed again in the finale.

It's a great show and everybody should watch it.
__________________
Anna
My FF handle was a joke (now I hate it).
PetiteFleur is offline  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 AM
  #71
Extreme Fan
 
ERussia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,286
Finished The Feud... It could've been so much better.
As I already said, most ot time their Feud came out as childish and pointless and it was like that till the very end. They should've explored the reason why this feud actually started (when Bette was stealing Joan roles because of her youth) and actually it would've been much better if the whole show was about it, but in that case they would've to cast younger actresses that won't guarantees Emmys.
Eh. But I'd rather see Jessica winning Emmy than Kidman.
ERussia is offline  
Old 04-27-2017, 03:39 AM
  #72
Supreme Fan

 
Alwayshappy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,237
After finishing S4 of McLeods Daugthers (32 episodes seasons..) we decided to pause that one for a while. Watched the first two seasons of The Last Ship after that (waiting for S3 to arrive next month, so we can be up to date when S4 starts) and 4-5 days ago we started with Lost S1. Almost done with it. Tried to watch it earlier (together), but the plot felt so slow, so I got bored. Which is weird, because I've already seen the entire series....just watching it now, cause Jos hasn't seen it yet. This time we both love it though. Guess you have to be in the right mind-set!

Of course there are still the weekly shows aswell sometimes I'm surprised we still have a life
__________________
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | The Good Wife | Charmed | Veronica Mars | Damages | Brothers & Sisters | The Newsroom | One Tree Hill | Game of Thrones | Bones | The Closer | How to get away with Murder | Fringe | The OC | Desperate Housewives | Homeland | Pretty Little Liars | & more |
Xbox One Tag: Alwayshappyz | Wii U tag: Alwayshappyz
Alwayshappy is offline  
Old 04-28-2017, 05:32 PM
  #73
Elite Fan

 
Gelfling's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 47,219
sorry I disappeared on you. Real life got in a way in a big way.

Quote:
As I already said, most ot time their Feud came out as childish and pointless and it was like that till the very end.
Well, it kinda was childish and pointless. It was just two very different people pitted against each other by the media and the studios.
They were both insecure for different reasons and they took it out on each other because they each represented what the other felt she lacked.

Quote:
They should've explored the reason why this feud actually started (when Bette was stealing Joan roles because of her youth) and actually it would've been much better if the whole show was about it, but in that case they would've to cast younger actresses that won't guarantees Emmys.
I definitely won't begrudge a show giving older amazing actresses good parts and how it started isn't as important as how it was manipulated imo. It was mostly a show about Hollywood's misogyny and ageism.

Quote:
Eh. But I'd rather see Jessica winning Emmy than Kidman.
Ditto.

Quote:
This weekend we binge watched S1 of Thirteen Reasons Why. Only need to watch the last two episodes. Damn, this show is good. It's so emotional, well written and acted.
I liked some of it but the tone just felt odd to me. That girl really didn't sound like someone who was going to kill herself She was too flippant most of the time.
I wasn't surprised to find out the author of the book was a big fan of My So-Called Life but the narrative doesn't work for a suicide note situation imo.
Also it was clear he wanted the event to happen in the 90ies, with the tapes, the stalker's camera with the clicking noise etc. Everything was too 20th century and all the social media thing seemed tacked on.

Quote:
I heard polarizing reviews about 13 reasons why. People saying that this show is making suicide "cool". I kinda want to watch because of Kate Walsh, but I'm not a fan of school dramas and it looks Shondish.
It's not Shondish in the least and I wouldn't really call it a school drama even though a lot happens in school and most of the characters are teenagers. It's not a CW show at any rate. But yeah I don't know. Didn't blow me away. It was a decent watch but not a must-watch.

Quote:
Were Friends the best TV show of 90s? Not even the day they aired (Aired the same day as Seinfiled and ER). And I'm not even talking about other channels. Yet it considered as classic and one of the best shows ever, why?
Because people are morons and they feel represented?

Quote:
I like Angelina and applaud her charity work, but she is def not known for her movies.
Now true, I agree. She's not bad though. But yeah she's not getting great parts

Quote:
I hate the lead guy. I'm surprised it was a thing. But reviews were okayish and it was a big hit, so...
Yeah I saw it and honestly the lead characters get the movie stolen from under them by some random chubby guy who kills it. They are so wooden and boringly cute, they are totally forgettable.

Quote:
Just to be clear we are both talking about Marie Antoinette? I just read about it and actually only few people booed it, media just jumped on it.
yes we were.

Quote:
Just checked black sails ratings and they kinda dropped hard. Is it because of that Gay story yall talking about? I think it was there from the start and I don't think many cis males watched this show to start with
Heh oh yes they were and they were maaaaaad after season 2

Quote:
"They ran away together into the sunset" - "It was 2 in the afternoon" - "It was beautiful"


Quote:
Not the way I saw it either, but that's probably because I almost never notice any hints, or *tension*, or subtext at first glance, as if I'm averted to all things to do with romance, I don't know what's wrong with me
I think you've been burned by the pseudo 'romance" BS on tv. It happens

Quote:
But seriously, it feels sometimes like people watch some scenes and don't make connection with what happened before or what happens next
Only sometimes?

Quote:
Someone wrote this about them and it's so true: "They share rage that would burn down the world and the calmness to be found in a cup of tea and a book." She made a home for him, and she is his home, and after her death it's as if he's lost his soul.
that's exactly it. She created this safe haven for him, in the middle of all the madness, and when she's gone, he loses what anchored him to this world.

Quote:
And again I'm like... Why, show, why?
Because Flint needed it. As sad as it was, he needed to lose it all to go as far as he had to go in the end. He wouldn't have done it if he still had anything to lose.

Quote:
What's interesting is that this is usually said about bi men, while with women it's almost always "oh, she just hasn't met the right man". As if a relationship with a man is the only reasonable choice both for bi men and women. I wonder why (I don't)
And then if a bi woman marries a man, it's like she's a traitor to the cause. Or if a bi man marries a woman, it's like "oh he just wants kids the easy way but he'll keep screwing guys on the side". I mean... seriously people!

Quote:
He also seemed pretty pissed about the double standard in how male same-sex relationships are portrayed compared to the female ones.
Well yeah because lesbians are girl on girl porn and gay guys are just gross

Quote:
Fans now joke that what it took him to fly to South Africa to do a 2-minute scene for Black Sails is the producers simply mentioning that James and Thomas would make out again.


Quote:
I'm trying to, it's just sometimes not very healthy to live in this constant state of uncertainty, and there seem to be no generation of people in our country who had a life that would even vaguely look like some kind of stability, hence our unwillingness to make any steps to changes, among other things.
I get it and I know it's hard to have faith in humanity when you see all the evil we are capable of but change comes in tiny steps, even in huge countries.

Quote:
And Black Sails writers were able and willing to adapt the story they initially had had in mind when an opportunity presented itself to explore some other things.
Case in point: Max/Anne, as well as Max's whole arc.
I really like that they did. Their journeys felt very organic, more so than Silver's for instance.

Quote:
Have I told you that I didn't watch the finale and don't have a slightest idea what happened? I know Diane slapped Alicia, and that's it, I don't know the reason why she did it and, frankly, don't care.
You mean the pretense They just wanted a "symmetry" and they had no idea how to do it so they pulled some ridiculous stunt to get there. I just enjoy that slap so much though

Quote:
The finale season felt rushed, but I still liked it. Although I'm not over Root dying
Ugh I am still mad at it! It felt so... useless?

Quote:
Talk to me! Tell me what you think and how you feel about it
no tonight. I had a long week and my bed is calling my name but this weekend
__________________
Carla
~~~~~

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Gelfling is offline  
Old 04-29-2017, 08:29 AM
  #74
Extreme Fan
 
ERussia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Well, it kinda was childish and pointless. It was just two very different people pitted against each other by the media and the studios.
But it wasn't. Bette started stealing Joan roles because of her youth. And when somebody is stealing your roles it's normal to hate her/him. But they barely mentioned it. They could've made 2-3 more episodes about their youth.
Quote:
I definitely won't begrudge a show giving older amazing actresses good parts and how it started isn't as important as how it was manipulated imo. It was mostly a show about Hollywood's misogyny and ageism.
Yeah, for some reason it reminded me of "he kills people because his mother hated him" or something. They were grown up people, not some kids. And that dream sequence... I wasn't satisfied.
Quote:
It's not Shondish in the least and I wouldn't really call it a school drama even though a lot happens in school and most of the characters are teenagers. It's not a CW show at any rate. But yeah I don't know. Didn't blow me away. It was a decent watch but not a must-watch.
Netflix is the new HBO. Pretty much any Netflix show will have good reviews despite being completely generic. Actors look completely basic and I don't think I'll ever watch this.
They also have a new show called "Dear White People", lol.
ERussia is offline  
Old 04-30-2017, 10:41 AM
  #75
Elite Fan

 
Gelfling's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 47,219
Quote:
But it wasn't. Bette started stealing Joan roles because of her youth
Heh I don't know where you read that but Davis was 2 years younger than Crawford so it's not as if she swooped in. She started making movies later because she got her start in the theatre and Crawford came up in movies at a younger age but they were the same age.

Quote:
And when somebody is stealing your roles it's normal to hate her/him. But they barely mentioned it
Because it's not true at all . Davis and Crawford were very different actresses and they were under contract with different studios until Crawford switched to Warner and that was well after Davis was established.
Even then they were never considered for the same parts because they had very different styles. The only time they both got in the same vicinity for a part was when Davis passed on Mildred Pierce and the part went to Crawford who proceeded to win an Oscar for it, and it was only because Michael Curtiz loved working with Davis and Warner gave it to Crawford to piss off Davis who was getting "too picky" for his taste.

Some people say it started with Crawford eclipsing Davis's big breakout movie with the news of her divorce from Fairbanks. Other say it all started with a guy Davis had a crush on and Crawford proceeded to get married to.
Whatever got it to a boil, it was never really the problem. What created their enmity was that they were very different sides of the same coin: Hollywood actresses and they had different personalities and a knack for taking shots at others and what kept it fed was that Warner used it to try and control them.

Quote:
They could've made 2-3 more episodes about their youth.
It would have been nice from a biopic point of view, for sure, but I guess it would have been too complicated. They would have needed other actresses to play them young, who could act and look the parts. And it would have been too distracting from a narrative point of view, imo. And since the show was really about sexism and ageism, that would have been out of topic I guess.

Quote:
Yeah, for some reason it reminded me of "he kills people because his mother hated him" or something.
Well, they both grew up in fatherless homes, very poor. I don't know how much of our lives is influenced by our childhoods but I'm pretty sure that we are more than a little defined by our relationships to our parents, especially when they are lacking or traumatic.

Quote:
And that dream sequence... I wasn't satisfied.
I hate dream sequences. Really, I do so I wasn't happy with it either. I guess it was their way of giving the characters closure by making them say what they both wished the other would have said earlier but it didn't work for me, although it gave both of them a great opportunity for a home run performance.

Quote:
Netflix is the new HBO. Pretty much any Netflix show will have good reviews despite being completely generic
They're doing a looooot of craps lately though. But then they're doing what people want to watch so I guess that explains why they're successful
And ironically enough, it's the most generic crap that gets them the most success. I mean... Stranger Things? and then The OA goes almost completely under the radar

Quote:
They also have a new show called "Dear White People", lol.
I only saw one episode but actually it's not bad. I thought it was going to be a train wreck but they're playing well with the ambiguity of both sides of the race conflict in the US.

Tonight, American Gods start and I'm both worried and excited
Verdict tomorrow.
__________________
Carla
~~~~~

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Gelfling is offline  
 

Bookmarks


Forum Affiliates
FYeah Cary Agos
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2018.

Copyright © 1998-2018, Fan Forum.