Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Doing a Newsroom rewatch this weekend!
Did you watched it? I have a need to watch The West Wing these days, too bad it's not on Netflix

Quote:
and honestly, it's the best one. The American one could have been great because they had all the Mexican-US border to work with and that changes the dynamic, as well as the partnership, and the politics and all quite a bit, but it was too focused on twists and turns and not on the characters enough. And the lead actress kinda sucked, unlike the original, who was brilliant.
Yes,most of the time the original is the best.Not always of cours, but yeah. And yes,I absolutely love the actress she's amazing!

Quote:
The Brit/French version is not too bad but well, when you know the end already, they haven't changed enough to make it a must watch. The actress is pretty good, although French (I know, I should be supporting my countrymen but ) and the Brit cop is our buddy Stannis Baratheon! so the acting is good

If I find a place to watch it I will, even just for compare

And I just finished watching The Crown,I loved it! Can't wait for the second season
Old 04-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Elite Fan

April is here and with April come new shows... Well not really, just the Handmaid's tale (I'm scared) and American Gods (also scared but less so) and a bunch of boring shows returning

Since BOTH the last season of Orphan Black and GoT are coming late this year (June! Mother****ers!) I'll have to do something.

Quote:
Did you watched it? I have a need to watch The West Wing these days, too bad it's not on Netflix
Yup. Started my rewatch. I needed a show that wasn't depressing and since Netflix (13 Reasons Why) and HBO (Big Little Lies) are not helping in that department I had to look elsewhere. I'm done with Grace and Frankie so

Quote:
Yes,most of the time the original is the best.Not always of cours, but yeah. And yes,I absolutely love the actress she's amazing!
Most of the time but not always. Case in point: Humans, the Brit "remake" of the original Swedish show Real Humans is much better than the original. They took the concept, themes and some of the storylines in season 1 and expanded and developed them beautifully.

Quote:
And I just finished watching The Crown,I loved it! Can't wait for the second season
It was very good. And well acted. I must say I was weary because well, royalty shows tend to turn into soap real quick (like Victoria for example), despite good performances but obviously they wanted to do something and do it right so kudos to them. I wonder if Queen Elizabeth checked that one

Quote:
Brought to you by the creators of straight-baiting
ah all those bro-dudes watching the show because "hey, lesbians!" must have been in for quite a shock

Quote:
And I've never had a better dinner, considering I didn't have to digest ink.
And you can totally gloat about it

Quote:
I wanted Flint to be hugged (and kissed and wrapped in a blanket, and fed cookies) for so long, I'm in heaven it happened. The infamous pirate captain Flint was unmade by the power of love!
Well, only fair since he was also made by it.

Quote:
But the pessimist in me (yes, I do mean pessimist, i.e. the person who even in the best possible circumstances always sees the possibility of it all going to hell in a matter of seconds)
Pfff trust me, I'm way worse. I started pessimisting at age 4

Quote:
I mean, if he'd simply just died in a battle for his ideals, or in any other similar way, without the possibility of his reunion with Thomas being ever presented to us, I would be OK with it. Well, not completely OK, but you get my point. A classic tragic ending for a tragic hero. But I don't find this Atonement-like version to be more *poetic*, as some people do. It's just cruel, as I said)
I don't either. I mean dying for what you believe in, when you are ready to die for your beliefs, is one thing. But a fake-out bittersweet "happy ending" would be just BS

Quote:
On a side note, how many days (hours?) will it take Flint to come up with an escape plan? Or is it better to leave it to Thomas to persuade the owner of the camp to reform the camp in such a way that nobody will have to stay there without them choosing so?
Yeah I give them a month

Quote:
("A story is true. A story is untrue. As time extends, it matters less and less. The stories we want to believe... those are the ones that survive, despite upheaval and transition and progress. Those are the stories that shape history")
it's so Inception, isn't it? I love it!
In the end, that's pretty much what legends, and even History, are, right?

Quote:
Loved Jack!
I didn't care about him much in the beginning, even though he often cracked me up, but he really grew on me over the seasons, and this season he's something else. Not to mention that he is his best self when he listens to Max!
I must say I was mildly surprised that they didn't end his storyline like the real Jack but I liked that they didn't.

Quote:
Loved that last shot of Max, being the real power behind the scenes.
She's always been way too smart not to be pulling everyone strings in the end. Once she got her heart removed from the equation (thank you Eleanor ), she was a force to be reckoned with.

Quote:
And she didn't have to sacrifice an important part of herself to achieve this.
I think she kinda did in a way.

Quote:
I feel her anger towards Silver for undermining her entirely. But at the same time I understand his desire to end the war and the suffering. That's a conflict I can live with. And in the end he will always feel her resentment for what he's done, so.
If we just go by what little we know in TI, I'm guessing that wasn't their last fight about anything

Quote:
I wish that kiss was longer, I'm shallow as that *sorrynotsorry*
I guess that's why the gods invented slow motion

Quote:
All in all, it feels so great to have a finale that gives room for hope for all the characters, even though their future is hanging upon them
and that's why I was surprised, pleasantly so, that they didn't go there for the historical characters. They already had too many deaths. At least they ended on some hope.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Extreme Fan

Is Big Little Lies good? Saw few clips and it looks like such an obvious Emmy-bait attempt.
Just like that Feud show. Gosh, Susan Sarandon and second actress can barely move their faces, let alone act.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:02 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Is Big Little Lies good? Saw few clips and it looks like such an obvious Emmy-bait attempt.
It's a very very obvious Emmy bait for Nicole Kidman. Unsurprisingly, she's a producer and SO MANY of her scenes are just the same thing over and over.
It's watchable though. The big mystery turns out to be so ****ing predictable I actually wrote the whole ending down on a piece of paper during episode 2, for my sister to read after the finale (I predicted everything, down to the actual crime scene) but the characters are interesting and most of the performances are good.

Quote:
Just like that Feud show. Gosh, Susan Sarandon and second actress can barely move their faces, let alone act.
Objection. To all three actually. "Second actress" is extremely talented, as is Sarandon. They could act any actress on tv right now, with a bag over their head

Old 04-06-2017, 05:50 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
It's a very very obvious Emmy bait for Nicole Kidman. Unsurprisingly, she's a producer and SO MANY of her scenes are just the same thing over and over.
It's watchable though. The big mystery turns out to be so ****ing predictable I actually wrote the whole ending down on a piece of paper during episode 2, for my sister to read after the finale (I predicted everything, down to the actual crime scene) but the characters are interesting and most of the performances are good.

Objection. To all three actually. "Second actress" is extremely talented, as is Sarandon. They could act any actress on tv right now, with a bag over their head
the comment about you predicting everything We were planning to watch it at some point, but considering we have so many things to watch...not sure we'd have the time.

13 Reasons why looks way more interesting though. It hits close to home for us both, but after watching the pilot we really want to know how it develops. Can't wait for GoT either.

Bones ended last week. Watched it for 12 years. It was about time and it's better to go off the air when you're still giving the viewers great episodes, but I'll miss it. The ending was perfect though. It gave the viewers closure, while they also showed us that the characters will continue to work together. Their friendships remain intact and the same, etc. I hate endings where ''best friends'' all move away...in different directions..losing contact in the process such good friends they were.

Thankfully Grey's Anatomy is still on. The show that will never have its series finale thankfully Plus all of the other shows we're still watching, but Bones & Grey's were/are the two longest running series we are still watching. Criminal Minds aswell, but we're waiting for it to end so we can binge watch all seasons. Just like Homeland.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:10 AM
Extreme Fan

I love Susan Sarandon for a long time, but she is NOT good in Feud and Jessica Lange is not a good Joan Crawfard at all. It looks like they are not having it and don't even bother about acting. It's like they are there only because Ryan Murphy promised them Emmy's.
Big Little Lies looks like The Night Of aka another glorified HBO soap opera. I just read spoilers and yeah... very predictable. Hopefully Emmy will see through such an obvious Emmy bait attempt, but if that terrible movie with Kidman and Clive Owen got tons of nominations, I'm not sure about it.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Dedicated Fan

First things first, this is so beautiful:

Quote:
ah all those bro-dudes watching the show because "hey, lesbians!" must have been in for quite a shock
Sorry for quoting tumblr so often, I just need to share all the goodies, and there are plenty:

Quote:
Black Sails S1: Ti****s for the male gaze!
Black Sails S4: Cuddles for the male gays!
Quote:
Black Sails fandom, after James/Thomas reunion: OMG could this show be any more gay?!
Black Sails: Yup.
I swear, there are actual comments like "I didn't remember/never thought Flint was gay?!", "So you're telling me Flint's whole war was all for his gay lover Thomas??" ("Flint wasn't gay in real life" is my favorite). Duuuude, did you skip... the entire show? Although, I shouldn't be surprised, as I know a girl whose boyfriend fast-forwarded all the London scenes because they were "too boring".
I'm gonna drink their tears for breakfast!

So many people cling to this idea that Silver killed Flint, as if it's so original and *deep* and somehow makes them so much more clever for having picked up on a certain ambiguity than the people who takes the happy-ish ending at face value.
In pretty much every interview I've read with the creators they talk about Flint/Thomas reunion with such certainty, mentioning the ambiguity only once, leaving it to the viewers to decide. And they talk about how they planned Tomas's return right from the start and about "no body, no death" rule. Doesn't that rule apply to Flint himself? It worked several times on the show, I don't see the reason why they would change their modus operandi all of a sudden.

Also there's a theory of the plantation representing Hades (and Flint reuniting with Thomas in afterlife, 'cause it's so original for LGBT characters to deserve happiness only after death ): entering the gates no one can leave, paying a toll, being judged by the 3 Fates and taken down the river to the Elysian Fields.

Even if you don't take into account the fact that the show never visualized afterlife (the scenes with ghost Miranda were about Flint's state of mind, when he was mourning her and thinking about ending his own life) and that this version of afterlife looks exactly the same as a real plantation from the opening scene, wouldn't it be better to take a step back and see that the whole sequence represents exactly what Silver is telling: Flint dies, James McGraw is reborn. Isn't it symbolic enough?

And for a show that likes its stories coming full circle sooo much, isn't it more logic and poetic (and humane?) to have this (gay) version of Odyssey, which was there right from the very start, get its end?

Odysseus, on his journey home to Ithaca, was visited by a ghost. The ghost tells him that once he reaches his home, once he slays all his enemies and sets his house in order, he must do one last thing before he can rest. The ghost tells him to pick up an oar and walk inland. And keep walking until somebody mistakes that oar for a shovel. For that would be the place that no man had ever been troubled by the sea. And that's where he'd find peace. In the end, that's all I want. To walk away from the sea and find some peace.

I don't know who I'm arguing here with, people are just driving me mad

Quote:
In the end, that's pretty much what legends, and even History, are, right?
I love this post (I want to mary it), and the creators retweeted it (so I feel kinda validated lol):

Quote:
A story is true, a story is untrue. As time extends, it matters less and less. The stories we want to believe, those are the ones that survive. —

The writers gave us this quote at the same time as an “open ending.” Combined with the themes of this show I choose to believe that what’s important is not the story they tell, but the story we remember. The story we believe. And they gave us other themes, too - themes of love, of representation of marginalised characters, and an ending for several of them that was unambiguously happy. This quote, and the entire show, is also clearly a criticism on a bigoted civilisation: civilisation wants to believe that pirates are monsters, that people who are different are monsters, and that’s why those versions of their stories survive. Black Sails is such a meta show, so aware of the contemporary issues it addresses. Out of the two “options” - the one where marginalised characters who have suffered too much finally get a shot at happiness and love and are portrayed, through this love, as human and not as monsters, and the one where those same marginalised characters, treated as monsters by both historical and contemporary civilisations simply because they are different, are punished for their differences with meaningless death, - the one we believe says more about us than it does about the story itself. Civilisation tells the story that serves its narratives, its values. Which version we believe, which version we tell, says a lot about our values - and helps us spread those, against the grain of pessimism and bigotry. Considering the themes of the show,I am pretty sure I know which version would align us with the message the writers have been trying to send. And even if I’m wrong - considering the state of the world right now, where stories about people who are different have the biggest chance they’ve ever had to not be deformed into monstrosity by a bigoted majority, it does not matter what story the writers have been trying to tell. It matters which one we tell. I know which one I believe. I know which one I want to make sure will be remembered. I know which one I want to make sure survives. And like the quote above says - the story that survives, ultimately becomes true. Let’s make it the hopeful one, shall we?
Flint's speech to Silver (about the world of shadows with dragons in the dark) is about every outcast, every marginalized minority in the world, and is echoing in some way the speech in the opening scene:
"I would argue justice demands we do better than that, that a civilization is judged not by who it excludes, but by how it treats the excluded."

So the ambiguity of the ending is the ultimate test of viewer's own humanity.

Speaking of freedom in the darkness, it's interesting that in the end he's embracing and kissing Thomas in broad daylight, not paying attention to the people around them. Imagine how proud it makes Thomas feel (with his desire to "see the yoke of shame lifted from [a person's] shoulders")

Also, there's interesting post about the plantation owner. that gives me a little comfort regarding their stay there.

Quote:
I must say I was mildly surprised that they didn't end his storyline like the real Jack but I liked that they didn't.
Yeah, everybody was convinced he's a goner, so it really was a pleasant surprise. And they hinted at his historical fate with the introduction of Mary Reed, so.
Jack being obsessed with his legacy and not being satisfied with his flag that will become one of the symbols of piracy is gold
Tumblr one more time:
Quote:
New aesthetic: toby schmitz dressed in his jack rackham outfit beating the absolute crap out of johnny depp and telling him he was funny 15 years ago

Quote:
I think she kinda did in a way.
Over the course of the show, sure. I meant their agreement with Grandma Guthrie.

Oh boy, 5 days since the finale aired, and I'm still riding high and don't feel like watching anything else. Including Homeland for the time being, especially after Monday's events
Spoiler:

Aaaaand a quote from Steinberg/Levine:

Quote:
What’s next for you?
Steinberg: One of the pilots Robert is writing is another big canvas period drama.
Levine: It’s a period that, like Black Sails, people have a passing familiarity with, but it’s crusted over with crude stories and preconceptions. Once again, the impulse is to strip all that away and present the story anew.

OK, I've really outdone myself with this essay. (someone send help).

Last edited by PetiteFleur; 04-07-2017 at 12:42 PM
Old 04-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I love Susan Sarandon for a long time, but she is NOT good in Feud and Jessica Lange is not a good Joan Crawfard at all. It looks like they are not having it and don't even bother about acting. It's like they are there only because Ryan Murphy promised them Emmy's.
I don't know how much you've seen but I didn't even want to watch it and it was the acting that kept me in it. I think being familiar with Crawford and Davis helps appreciate the performances but besides that, I just disagree. Sarandon especially is brilliant. And I doubt she'll win an Emmy and she knows it too.
Not that she should care

Have you ever watched The Strain? I'm trying season 1 and so far, I'm bored out of my skull so I was wondering if it was worth sticking with it.

Quote:
("Flint wasn't gay in real life" is my favorite)
I've seen that one many many times. Like, dude, first he didn't have a "real life". He's a character who never appears in a book you have never read so sit down and stfu. Also, I have read it many times and I don't recall anyone mentioning Flint's love or sex life so... you lose. STFU.

Quote:
Sorry for quoting tumblr so often, I just need to share all the goodies, and there are plenty:
The only issue I have with tumblr is the lack of proper search and the mob mentality but there are good things to be found there.

Quote:
And they talk about how they planned Tomas's return right from the start and about "no body, no death" rule. Doesn't that rule apply to Flint himself?
Heh exactly. You have to think within the show's world, people! There have been enough on screen deaths that were rooted in certainty, and *enough* non-deaths (I mean... Billy Bones, anyone??) to make it a rule. #NoBodyNoDeath

Quote:
It worked several times on the show, I don't see the reason why they would change their modus operandi all of a sudden.
And they may have taken creative license but they remained very committed to TI as a source. There is never even the implication that Silver killed Flint. Hell, if he had, he'd have bragged about it ,and I wouldn't even have believed him

Quote:
wouldn't it be better to take a step back and see that the whole sequence represents exactly what Silver is telling: Flint dies, James McGraw is reborn. Isn't it symbolic enough?
That's exactly how I saw it. Flint only ever existed because of Thomas's "death". There is nothing to sustain his existence, or even the need for his continuing existence at the end.

Quote:
And for a show that likes its stories coming full circle sooo much, isn't it more logic and poetic (and humane?) to have this (gay) version of Odyssey, which was there right from the very start, get its end?
because the Odyssey wasn't gay enough already?

Quote:
I don't know who I'm arguing here with, people are just driving me mad
Slay them with the truth, Anna and honestly there is nothing quite as fun as shattering prejudice and small-mindedness with argument. I have had many good times with Jehovah's Witnesses. I may be the only person that had Jehovah's Witnesses avoiding her home but it's been fun.

Quote:
So the ambiguity of the ending is the ultimate test of viewer's own humanity.
And oh brother, that explains a lot about how so many people see it, doesn't it?

Quote:
Speaking of freedom in the darkness, it's interesting that in the end he's embracing and kissing Thomas in broad daylight, not paying attention to the people around them.
Isn't it kinda pathetic that it's still a test hundreds of years later?

Quote:
Yeah, everybody was convinced he's a goner, so it really was a pleasant surprise.
and they spent so much time building on his relationship, and devotion, to Ann, it would have been kinda sad ending it with her telling him off for ending without a fight.

Quote:
Oh boy, 5 days since the finale aired, and I'm still riding high and don't feel like watching anything else. Including Homeland for the time being, especially after Monday's events
I can't blame you. I've stayed away from it for very much the same reason.
As for the events in question, I tend to agree with you. I find it very convenient that all this takes place in Europe only, never the US for example, and I definitely wouldn't put it past certain people to be pulling the strings. Tbh, I'm still not even sure about 9/11

Quote:
OK, I've really outdone myself with this essay. (someone send help).
You don't need it, you're doing fine

Old 04-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Okay, I watched first 3 episodes and it's brilliant. Susan completely stole the show and I still think Lang is a miscast. First of all, she is way older than Joan was when they were filming this movie and it even that's not the main problem... Looks like Ryan just can't step out of his comfort zone, casting actors he worked with on other projects.
Their feud seems very stupid a lot of times. They explained why it originally hapenned when Bette started stealing her projects and they should've explored it more cuz most of the time it looks like they hate each other for no reason.
Second season is about Lady Diana and her ugly husband, third one should be about Madonna and Gaga.
Susan should go for supporting actress. Kidman will probably take the best one either way. Big Little Lies was a hit by HBO standarts and she will probably lobby hard. Supporting actress will be easier to get.
Haven't seen this strain show. I loathe most FX shows tbh. So try hard.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Okay, I watched first 3 episodes and it's brilliant
and it's not like I wanted to like it, I thought the idea was silly and I was worried it was going to be some catfight show but it's not and I was honestly shocked by that. Well, I didn't think Sarandon or Lange would play in a catfight show but Murphy, I had my doubts about.

Quote:
Susan completely stole the show and I still think Lang is a miscast.
Interestingly enough, Davis was the one who picked Sarandon to play her... in the 80ies when they were talking about making a biopic from her memoirs so I guess she already knew she'd be awesome.

Quote:
First of all, she is way older than Joan was when they were filming this movie and it even that's not the main problem... Looks like Ryan just can't step out of his comfort zone, casting actors he worked with on other projects.
I think he just wanted to work with someone who could bring something more human to the character than what Crawford was showing even to her friends. She was a very damaged woman who was hiding her insecurities behind a ton of makeup and an impeccable facade... and bitchiness. I think another actress might have made a caricature out of her (no offense to Dunaway in Mommy Dearest)

Quote:
Their feud seems very stupid a lot of times. They explained why it originally hapenned when Bette started stealing her projects and they should've explored it more cuz most of the time it looks like they hate each other for no reason.
There's more on that later. I think they "hated" each other because they were two sides of the Hollywood coin. Crawford was the glamour girl who just wanted to be the center of attention and to be adored by the critics and audiences. Davis was an actress who resented the attention and wasn't afraid to make the tough choices and to be ugly or even hated if that meant the character was realistic.

Crawford hated that Davis didn't give a **** about Hollywood and still got the attention and the awards. Davis had nothing but contempt for Crawford for being a beauty queen who couldn't accept that her time had gone.

Quote:
Second season is about Lady Diana and her ugly husband, third one should be about Madonna and Gaga.
I'm already skipping season 2 because I don't care one bit about the royals and their love/hate/mediawhoring, and because I don't believe that story can be told honestly. It's too soon and without any honest word from either side about it, I don't see what they're going to base it on... gossip?

Quote:
Susan should go for supporting actress. Kidman will probably take the best one either way. Big Little Lies was a hit by HBO standarts and she will probably lobby hard.
Is there a supporting category for minis? I thought it was everyone in the same category. Anyway, Kidman is not a shoe-in. She sucked in that show and it was so obvious Emmy baiting, I doubt anybody will be fooled.
But I don't think Sarandon can win. Not after the idiotic social media backlash concerning her (misguided) Trump/Clinton quote.

Quote:
Haven't seen this strain show. I loathe most FX shows tbh. So try hard.
Yeah I kept going a while but I don't think it's for me. It's really boring. It's like a more boring version of TWD, only with less characters and less interesting villains.

And now that you mention it, I think Feud is the first show on FX I have watched in years.

Now I'm looking forward to American Gods (just to see if it's going to be the train wreck I fear but hopefully not) and I may check The Handmaid's Tale later this month, although the 30-something cast doesn't inspire any confidence.

Any new shows you're looking forward to?

(On that note: **** HBO! June, really?? And OB too??! I thought at least I wouldn't have to watch the last season of my two favorite shows at the same time! Mofos! )

Old 04-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Extreme Fan

I thought it was bad because of few scenes I watched. Reminded me of when I didn't like OB promos and I assumed show is bad/cheap looking.
Quote:
Interestingly enough, Davis was the one who picked Sarandon to play her... in the 80ies when they were talking about making a biopic from her memoirs so I guess she already knew she'd be awesome.
I'm not sure of how she wiould've played younger Davis. Davis was more "messy" (in a good way) and Sarandon is more classy, even in movies like Bull Durham.
Quote:
I think another actress might have made a caricature out of her (no offense to Dunaway in Mommy Dearest)
Just like Zeta Jones did of whoever she played.
Quote:
There's more on that later. I think they "hated" each other because they were two sides of the Hollywood coin. Crawford was the glamour girl who just wanted to be the center of attention and to be adored by the critics and audiences. Davis was an actress who resented the attention and wasn't afraid to make the tough choices and to be ugly or even hated if that meant the character was realistic.

Crawford hated that Davis didn't give a **** about Hollywood and still got the attention and the awards. Davis had nothing but contempt for Crawford for being a beauty queen who couldn't accept that her time had gone.
Crawford hate still looks very strange. I understand the idea behind it, but it's very unclear why she keep on hating her when she clearly won in that situation (having a big movie after Baby Jane). Well, maybe if she is as evil as people say she was, but they are not portraying her as that.
Quote:
I'm already skipping season 2 because I don't care one bit about the royals and their love/hate/mediawhoring, and because I don't believe that story can be told honestly. It's too soon and without any honest word from either side about it, I don't see what they're going to base it on... gossip?
From what I've read, there is a lot of fanfiction season too. Joan brother died a year before he did in this show and so on.
Quote:
Is there a supporting category for minis? I thought it was everyone in the same category. Anyway, Kidman is not a shoe-in. She sucked in that show and it was so obvious Emmy baiting, I doubt anybody will be fooled.
But I don't think Sarandon can win. Not after the idiotic social media backlash concerning her (misguided) Trump/Clinton quote.
They were fooled by Gaga just last year. Nicole has star-power, already lobbying hard (saying things like "I never had such a good/challenging job before" and all that blah) and it's from HBO. I don't think much people cared for Sarandon quote, she was supporting Bernie.

I only look forward to OB and OITNB. Have you seen Legion on FX? Based on Marvel comics, I heard good reviews.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:19 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
and it's not like I wanted to like it, I thought the idea was silly and I was worried it was going to be some catfight show but it's not and I was honestly shocked by that. Well, I didn't think Sarandon or Lange would play in a catfight show but Murphy, I had my doubts about.

I think he just wanted to work with someone who could bring something more human to the character than what Crawford was showing even to her friends. She was a very damaged woman who was hiding her insecurities behind a ton of makeup and an impeccable facade... and bitchiness. I think another actress might have made a caricature out of her (no offense to Dunaway in Mommy Dearest)

Yeah I kept going a while but I don't think it's for me. It's really boring. It's like a more boring version of TWD, only with less characters and less interesting villains.

And now that you mention it, I think Feud is the first show on FX I have watched in years.

Now I'm looking forward to American Gods (just to see if it's going to be the train wreck I fear but hopefully not) and I may check The Handmaid's Tale later this month, although the 30-something cast doesn't inspire any confidence.

Any new shows you're looking forward to?

(On that note: **** HBO! June, really?? And OB too??! I thought at least I wouldn't have to watch the last season of my two favorite shows at the same time! Mofos! )
GoT still has one more season after the coming one iirc But yeah, S7 can't get here fast enough. I wonder what S7 is going to show us. Is it going to be the fight for the throne, or the white walkers entering Castle Black and then southwards? They can't possibly do both in the final season (6 episodes iirc), so I guess one of them is going to happen this season. My guess is that it will be the fight for the throne. When that battle is nearly done they get the news about the white walkers (and the season ends there). Just my prediction.

When all is said and done I wonder who survives though. I'm pretty sure Sansa will survive everything, because she learned a lot and already survived quite a bit. Dany's luck will run out one day tbh and I think Snow will go down fighting aswell. Arya is not going to survive either, but not sure about that one. Sometimes I hate GoT....it's so often so hard to make predictions.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Have you ever watched The Strain? I'm trying season 1 and so far, I'm bored out of my skull so I was wondering if it was worth sticking with it.
After the Black Sails finale I found myself in need of Rupert Penry-Jones' smiling face on my screen
(I mean, come on:

I honestly don't know who would have been better in this part )
so I was meaning to ask about The Strain as well, but then I saw a clip of his character on youtube and, oh well, I guess I'll pass on that one

Quote:
I've seen that one many many times. Like, dude, first he didn't have a "real life". He's a character who never appears in a book you have never read so sit down and stfu. Also, I have read it many times and I don't recall anyone mentioning Flint's love or sex life so... you lose. STFU.
And even if it was mentioned, we know how history treats queer people (including in fiction).

Speaking of historical accuracy, I also saw comments about how Anne is not a believable character, because pirates would never accept a woman becoming one of them Dude, did they ban wikipedia where you come from? Because even I, who was never ever interested in pirate stories before (I actually fell asleep during the first POTC movie and never bothered to watch the rest of them ), somehow knew about Anne Bonny and Mary Read.

Also, this is the best (unintentional) advertisement:

Quote:
And they may have taken creative license but they remained very committed to TI as a source. There is never even the implication that Silver killed Flint. Hell, if he had, he'd have bragged about it ,and I wouldn't even have believed him
And one more thing: I'm pretty sure Madi is not a person who would think ignorance is a bliss, and if Silver's people were able to verify that Thomas was at that place, I believe Madi's people would be able to verify that Flint was there as well. And we know that she stayed with him.
And why the **** wouldn't Jack just tell Grandma Guthrie if Flint was dead for real?!

Quote:
because the Odyssey wasn't gay enough already?
Lol yeah, I should have specify that I meant Odysseus/Penelope

Quote:
Slay them with the truth, Anna and honestly there is nothing quite as fun as shattering prejudice and small-mindedness with argument. I have had many good times with Jehovah's Witnesses. I may be the only person that had Jehovah's Witnesses avoiding her home but it's been fun.
I'm afraid I'm not that patient and... strong, honestly.
I've been listening to Fathoms Deep podcast (they have also interviewed the creators and the cast), I don't agree with them on everything, but their analysis of themes, structure, etc. is pretty thorough (and it's helpful, as I'm not good at it at all), and I realized the decision to stop taking my meds was totally premature after I'd had a breakdown over someone else's post about them, that even after people had pointed out all the inconsistencies in their theory of Silver killing Flint and the plantation representing Hades (there's a good post about it, btw), they still haven't changed their mind and think that Flint dying and reuniting with Thomas in afterlife is "a much better and more honorable end for him than being imprisoned in a labor camp".
I realize that my reaction to this is completely irrational and extreme, and I shouldn't let other people's opinions affect me this way, but I just can't grasp the idea, in what world being killed by the closest friend in the woods, having been betrayed by him in fact, and having lost everything Flint had been fighting for is a more HONORABLE end than being reunited with the love of his life IN REAL LIFE (which does not prevent them from having an eternity in afterlife later lol).
Homophobic reactions to the finale are expected, sadly. But so-called allies and their inability to see what a harmful message it is to deny gay characters a chance of having a simple life together and small mercies just boggle my mind.

They'll be interviewing Jon Steinberg later, and I'm just afraid he'll be too polite to strongly object to this theory, and... Ugh. When is my turn to find peace

Another thing that made me cringe while I was listening to them is when they called Miranda sleeping with the pastor in 1x06 a "hostile act" on her part, as if he's some innocent victim in this situation. I don't remember specifically, but they said something along the lines, that she first talked about "lifting the yoke of shame from his shoulders" and then shamed him for his desire to sleep with her, and that it makes her a hypocrite. And I feel like they missed the whole point of the scene. She never wanted to free him from his shame, she was totally screwing him over, calling him out on his hypocrisy, and boy, didn't she have every right to do that to the whole civilization and to this pastor in particular (he had people spying on her, ffs!).
My perspective on this matter might be influenced by the fact that we have a law in our country that puts people in prison, no less, for "insulting religious feelings" (which of course has nothing to do with protecting religious freedom, but is used to punish certain people for political reasons, Pussy Riot is the main example), but I really hate when "religious feelings" are put above anything else, as if a religious person is somehow more 'pure' and more deserving of sympathy. I can't say that I consider myself an atheist, but I'm definitely not religious and really not good at debating any religious issues, but wouldn't Jesus himself object to such treatment?

Quote:
Isn't it kinda pathetic that it's still a test hundreds of years later?
Yeah. This is what I don't get. A typical homophobe starts to panic even over the idea of 2 men being in love, screaming "why do you shove it in my face, I don't need to know about your sex life!!". Honey, gay people don't want to share the details of their sex life with you either, it's you who always brings it up. Nobody forces you to think about it, all that is asked of you is not being an a****le and to treat other people like... people.
On the other hand, I sometimes wish they were more explicit with James/Thomas, just to scare more homophobes off. I saw a comment yesterday, some guy said that he viewed the love between them as more of a brotherly type, and that the kiss most probably was a one time thing.
And Thomas wasn't even subtle about his, ahem, brotherly feelings
(caption:
James, literally just existing
*Thomas, breathing heavily in the background*
)

I do believe though that things are getting better in general, slower than we would like it (and not everywhere and not for everyone ), but still.

Quote:
and they spent so much time building on his relationship, and devotion, to Ann, it would have been kinda sad ending it with her telling him off for ending without a fight.
Now we can safely assume that the story about Anne's reaction to his death is just that: a story.
And it's kinda based on other people's perception of him, he's still an outsider among a group of outsiders, because he's not that typical manly man (and I actually like that about him), and that explains his desire to attach himself to other male figures whom he finds stronger, which he's overcome, luckily, and in the end it's his partnership with women that leads to his success.
I love this parallel sfm, I was so proud of Jack in that moment

Btw I can't believe some people read the finale as Anne ultimately choosing Jack over Max (romantically). Like, did they miss the part where she told him they would always be partners, but she could never be his wife? Their bond is strong enough without it being romantic in nature, and it's so ****ing beautiful and important. Same with Flint/Miranda for me.

Quote:
I can't blame you. I've stayed away from it for very much the same reason.
For me, it's not even the plot of the show, but the general mood, when none of the characters seem to be able to catch a break, it's endless misery almost all the time without any resolution. Yeah, I love the show but it can wait.

Quote:
As for the events in question, I tend to agree with you. I find it very convenient that all this takes place in Europe only, never the US for example, and I definitely wouldn't put it past certain people to be pulling the strings. Tbh, I'm still not even sure about 9/11
Ugh. What makes our situation a bit different is that no one have claimed responsibility yet, which is pretty telling, and it's a horrifying thought. I try not to think about it at all.

Quote:
You don't need it, you're doing fine
I wish My obsession with the show started as some kind of distraction, and now I need a distraction from a distraction, as I can't bring myself to think about anything else. Like I literally start to watch some other show and stop half-way through the ep, because it's not Black Sails It ruined TV for me! And I honestly couldn't ever imagined I would love any male character so f much.

I've been rewatching some parts of s1, and realized (and coincidentally someone else pointed out) that when Flint talks how civilization makes monsters of them, he doesn't only mean for being pirates or for not fitting in some box withing the civilized world, it's also about how he and Miranda were blamed for what happened to Thomas. And I just... I'm not smart enough for you, show! There's layers upon layers upon layers there.
There are also some insane "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story" parallels, that I just want to lie down in a corner and cry for the rest of my life.

Last edited by PetiteFleur; 04-14-2017 at 02:19 AM
Old 04-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
After the Black Sails finale I found myself in need of Rupert Penry-Jones' smiling face on my screen
you have such a man crush, it's cute

Quote:
so I was meaning to ask about The Strain as well, but then I saw a clip of his character on youtube and, oh well, I guess I'll pass on that one
Pass. Run in fact
And those have to be the worst characters I've ever seen. I'm not even getting into the female characters because it's just too pathetic

Quote:
Also, this is the best (unintentional) advertisement:
I love the assumption here. As if the show was ever a "mostly male audience show". Just because you deluded yourself into thinking it was a dude show that was going to fulfill your alpha make fantasies doesn't make it true. Sorry couch potatoes, but you still have TWD.
Also, can someone explain to me why a "mostly male audience show" would mean "black empowerment" was not welcome? Kinda betraying yourself, here, white dude.

Quote:
Speaking of historical accuracy, I also saw comments about how Anne is not a believable character, because pirates would never accept a woman becoming one of them Dude, did they ban wikipedia where you come from?
And there were others. I also read something like "pirates would never accept gay dudes because regardless of who they were, they were still living by the social and religious moral norms of their time" really?? You mean besides the thieving, killing, raping and screwing around? They were really Christians at heart?

Quote:
And why the **** wouldn't Jack just tell Grandma Guthrie if Flint was dead for real?!
Yeah that would make no sense. Especially not for him.

Quote:
Lol yeah, I should have specify that I meant Odysseus/Penelope

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm not that patient and... strong, honestly.
It's fun though

Quote:
I realize that my reaction to this is completely irrational and extreme, and I shouldn't let other people's opinions affect me this way, but I just can't grasp the idea, in what world being killed by the closest friend in the woods, having been betrayed by him in fact, and having lost everything Flint had been fighting for is a more HONORABLE end than being reunited with the love of his life IN REAL LIFE (which does not prevent them from having an eternity in afterlife later lol).
Because they just don't grasp Flint for who he is. ALL he is. They just think of him as a tragic hero who would rather die than keep living after victory eluded him. They don't see who he is. And they don't get what his motivations were. And worse of all, they don't get his love for Thomas was the driving force behind everything else. Worst part is, I don't even think they would get it if Thomas was a woman.

Quote:
Homophobic reactions to the finale are expected, sadly. But so-called allies and their inability to see what a harmful message it is to deny gay characters a chance of having a simple life together and small mercies just boggle my mind.
It's the lack of empathy that kills me. Is it really that hard to put yourself into someone's shoes for one minute and see things from another perspective? All I see everywhere is that there are "gays everywhere on tv" but the truth is, for less than 5% of characters, they still represent over 30% of character deaths every season. how's that ratio making sense?

Quote:
And I feel like they missed the whole point of the scene. She never wanted to free him from his shame, she was totally screwing him over, calling him out on his hypocrisy, and boy, didn't she have every right to do that to the whole civilization and to this pastor in particular (he had people spying on her, ffs!).
Yeah it was totally the other way around. But she's a woman so she can't use sex to make a point, can she? Women are soft

Quote:
but I really hate when "religious feelings" are put above anything else, as if a religious person is somehow more 'pure' and more deserving of sympathy.
Yeah like every time some bigot is treating LGBT people like crap in some corner of the deep South in the US, and they're called on it, it's an infringement on their "freedom of religion" If you didn't define your religion solely as the right to bully everyone who is not following it, your "freedom" wouldn't be infringed upon

Quote:
I can't say that I consider myself an atheist, but I'm definitely not religious and really not good at debating any religious issues, but wouldn't Jesus himself object to such treatment?
People who are calling themselves religious and using their religion to throw their weight around and bully others only care about the Old Testament.
That's what makes it so much fun taking the Jehovah's Witnesses for a spin but yeah, to answer your question, he certainly would have. In fact, Jesus was as lefty as they come. He was against organized religion and the oppression of religious structures on the people. He was for hating the sin and loving the sinner, and he was always on the side of the disenfranchised.

Quote:
Honey, gay people don't want to share the details of their sex life with you either, it's you who always brings it up. Nobody forces you to think about it, all that is asked of you is not being an a****le and to treat other people like... people.
I know, right? I once got blocked by a homophobe on twitter after I asked him "do you usually think about two people ****ing when you see them in the street? And you don't think maybe the problem is with you, not them?"

Quote:
I saw a comment yesterday, some guy said that he viewed the love between them as more of a brotherly type, and that the kiss most probably was a one time thing.
seriously, the power of denial

Quote:
I do believe though that things are getting better in general, slower than we would like it (and not everywhere and not for everyone ), but still.
Yeah I saw that. Sometimes you have to wonder what the UN is for. But I'm with you. Things are and will keep getting better. They can't put the toothpaste back in the tube now. The flaring of homophobic oppression is further proof that things are getting better. It's a last ditch effort by people who know their time is past.

Quote:
he's still an outsider among a group of outsiders, because he's not that typical manly man (and I actually like that about him), and that explains his desire to attach himself to other male figures whom he finds stronger, which he's overcome, luckily, and in the end it's his partnership with women that leads to his success.
He really is an interesting, and unusual character (and so much for the dude show that some were obviously expecting)

Quote:
Their bond is strong enough without it being romantic in nature, and it's so ****ing beautiful and important.
Talk about people living out of the norm. It's like it's harder for a modern audience to accept that two people can be just as close as lovers without being lovers.

Quote:
I wish My obsession with the show started as some kind of distraction, and now I need a distraction from a distraction, as I can't bring myself to think about anything else.
nah, you just need a rewatch

Quote:
And I just... I'm not smart enough for you, show! There's layers upon layers upon layers there.
Heh, hence the rewatch! Seriously though, don't you love a show that has real meaning, beyond the words, that reveals itself over time?

Quote:
There are also some insane "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story" parallels, that I just want to lie down in a corner and cry for the rest of my life.
Don't! Come here and discuss!

Last edited by Gelfling; 04-14-2017 at 06:27 PM
Old 04-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Elite Fan

ok so I'm going to double post (Mods do whatever they want? ) because otherwise it'll be a mess. Bear with me.

Anna, you're down the line

Quote:
I thought it was bad because of few scenes I watched. Reminded me of when I didn't like OB promos and I assumed show is bad/cheap looking.
Yeah the trailers were terrible, I agree. I guess they were trying to make it look like AHS

Quote:
I'm not sure of how she wiould've played younger Davis. Davis was more "messy" (in a good way) and Sarandon is more classy, even in movies like Bull Durham.
Heh that's a good point.

Quote:
Just like Zeta Jones did of whoever she played.
Olivia de Havilland. Yeah I don't know what she was doing, but it wasn't working at all

Quote:
Crawford hate still looks very strange. I understand the idea behind it, but it's very unclear why she keep on hating her when she clearly won in that situation (having a big movie after Baby Jane). Well, maybe if she is as evil as people say she was, but they are not portraying her as that.
Insecurity. That's what drove her whole life, professional and personal. She was throwing herself at men, because that's the only way she thought she could be loved. I know it sounds odd but it's common about people who were abused as children, especially repeatedly.

And her relationship with her mom, or lack of relationship, defined her. Even all the adoration from the press, from the fans, all her marriages, and her kids, were never enough to make up for the fact her mom didn't love her. I guess that was also something she was jealous of in Davis

Quote:
From what I've read, there is a lot of fanfiction season too. Joan brother died a year before he did in this show and so on.
They re-arranged some stuff chronologically but the blackmail was real. Well, as always it's according to third parties. But with the Charles and Diana thing, there's no way they're going to get anyone on the record.

Quote:
They were fooled by Gaga just last year.
yeah

Quote:
Nicole has star-power, already lobbying hard (saying things like "I never had such a good/challenging job before" and all that blah) and it's from HBO.
She may be lobbying a little too hard. Desperate lobbying isn't always winning. Plus the fact she had a producer credit in the show and her scenes were redundant, to say the least (her character's part was much smaller in the book), made it all look a little too contrived. We'll see

Quote:
I don't think much people cared for Sarandon quote, she was supporting Bernie.
Well I wouldn't have thought so either but damn, she took so much hate for it!
When she was promoting Feud, she was asked about it every damn time, and she is still taking crap for it on Twitter. Move the **** on, people, she didn't vote for Trump and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, she lives in NY so let's not pretend she got him elected

Quote:
I only look forward to OB and OITNB. Have you seen Legion on FX? Based on Marvel comics, I heard good reviews.
I have and it's pathetic. I guess it's for the Mr Robot crowd and the lead (who was already terrible in Downton Abbey, so that's saying a lot ) is ridiculous. But to some people, having a hard part and playing it well are the same thing I guess.

Quote:
GoT still has one more season after the coming one iirc
WHUUUUUUT??? Oh that explains a lot. I thought it was the last season and then the teaser shows Daenerys in Dragonstone and I was like "wtf is she stopping there for?"

Quote:
s it going to be the fight for the throne, or the white walkers entering Castle Black and then southwards?
Nah the white will be the last season. I think this season is going to settle scores. I'd be really shocked if Cersei survived this one but maybe...

Quote:
My guess is that it will be the fight for the throne. When that battle is nearly done they get the news about the white walkers (and the season ends there). Just my prediction.
Yeah that's my take as well. I'm thinking the battle for King's Landing is going to take a while and then just when things look up, here comes Johnny

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Sansa will survive everything, because she learned a lot and already survived quite a bit.
Ugh. I wish she'd die already.

Quote:
Dany's luck will run out one day tbh
Don't think it will. Well, I think she's facing a lonely life but I don't think she'll die before the end, if at all

Quote:
and I think Snow will go down fighting aswell
Hope so but I doubt it. I think Tyrion, Daenerys and Jon Snow will be left standing. Cersei and Jaime, I'm less sure of. Arya will probably disappear after she kills Cersei.

Quote:
Sometimes I hate GoT....it's so often so hard to make predictions.
tht's what I love about it