Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-15-2017, 05:48 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardengrill (View Post)
I watched yesterday the first episode of Big Little Lies (I haven't seen an episode of a tv show in ages, by the way, I watched this one because if was for free on HBO )

Have you guys seen it?
Have the first 3 episodes ready to watch. Need to get up to date with our other weekly shows though. Only 4 episodes behind atm tho. Bones, This is Us, Chicago Justice & Once Upon a Time. After that we'll start with at least the first episode of Big Little Lies. We like that it's a mini series, so it won't take us a lot of time to watch and it's supposed to be really good.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 AM
Extreme Fan

Now, but she will appear in DD 3rd season, from what I've heard.
X-Men franchise was always super messy. 3rd movie flopped and got bad reviews, but they still did that awful Wolverine movie for some reason. First Class was bad IMO, but it kinda revived the interest in X-Men and they decided not to reboot original franchise, which wasn't a wise desicion, even though, I respected them for it.
Second Wolverine was good until the very end... That adamantium robot killed the whole movie, lol. Overall I like most X-Men movies sans first Wolverine, X3 and Apocalypse.
What I liked about Body Of Proof is that they didn't try to ship lead male and female characters. While Dana was obviously older, the guy they casted was looking the same age is her and I was surprised they didn't go there. 3rd season was bad though. Too over the top.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I watched yesterday the first episode of Big Little Lies (I haven't seen an episode of a tv show in ages, by the way, I watched this one because if was for free on HBO )
I haven't yet because I have a severe Nicole Kidman allergy but my sister has been watching it and she said it was pretty good

Quote:
We like that it's a mini series, so it won't take us a lot of time to watch and it's supposed to be really good.
I like that it's a mini because they could get a (mostly) great cast for it and because they won't drag the story over 6 seasons only to let it hang when they're finally canceled

Quote:
Now, but she will appear in DD 3rd season, from what I've heard.
Well that was obvious frm the way they left things. On the other hand, that means I'll have to watch DD again

Quote:
X-Men franchise was always super messy. 3rd movie flopped and got bad reviews, but they still did that awful Wolverine movie for some reason.
Because they made the whole damn franchise about that one character on the suggestion of Jackman's agent

Quote:
First Class was bad IMO,
It was tragically mediocre.

Quote:
and they decided not to reboot original franchise, which wasn't a wise desicion, even though, I respected them for it.
Give them time. As soon as the pretty boy bunch they cast for First Class gets too old, they'll reboot the other one with a fresh batch of CW bimbos and gym hunks.

Quote:
Second Wolverine was good until the very end... That adamantium robot killed the whole movie, lol. Overall I like most X-Men movies sans first Wolverine, X3 and Apocalypse.
Apocalypse was even worse than the others. Everybody puts it on Bryan Singer but considering he was the one who made the first two great, he's probably just doing what Fox wants.

Quote:
What I liked about Body Of Proof is that they didn't try to ship lead male and female characters.
Oh yeah well, until season 3 when they tried to "fix" the low ratings by doing exactly that with a new male character
Why do they do that? If you're doing something different, stick to it. When has changing everything in desperation work for any show that was on the bubble?

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 03-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Extreme Fan

I never got the fuss about First Class. Even mine friends who are not comic book movies fans (they shaded Avengers, how could they? lol) liked it. It really felt like a movie for kids... They were lucky they got some good actors, because the story, CGI and absolutely everything was awful.
I heard a lot of bad stories about Bryan Singer being attractive to very young boys and from his casting choices... I beleive them. Talentless twinks everywhere. That Magneto wife and daughter death scene though... Worse than Man of Steel Superman father death scene.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I haven't yet because I have a severe Nicole Kidman allergy but my sister has been watching it and she said it was pretty good
I'm not a big fan of hers either, but I like her there,I saw only one episode though. Sadly I don't have HBO. But I'm going to catch up on some others shows,I finally bought a Netflix access so
Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of hers either, but I like her there,I saw only one episode though.
My sister said she was not that important so I wouldn't have to get anti-histamine shots or anything

Quote:
Sadly I don't have HBO. But I'm going to catch up on some others shows,I finally bought a Netflix access so
Heh I don't even own a tv

Hey more casting news on Star Trek Discovery! Jason Isaacs as the Captain (well, they're ****ed now ) and Sonequa Martin-Green (from TGW!) as some officer
Lots of pretty girls in that Star Trek for some reason. But hey I'll check it for Michelle Yeoh

Quote:
I never got the fuss about First Class. Even mine friends who are not comic book movies fans (they shaded Avengers, how could they? lol) liked it. It really felt like a movie for kids... They were lucky they got some good actors, because the story, CGI and absolutely everything was awful.
The high profile actors were all that people needed to like it and I'll disagree on the talent. Especially McAvoy. Ugh. And even Jennifer Lawrence seems to be phoning it in. Poor Mystique. Such an interesting character. Oh well.

Quote:
I heard a lot of bad stories about Bryan Singer being attractive to very young boys and from his casting choices... I beleive them.
yeah I read that gossip too. I tend not to believe the pedo BS that comes from all corners whenever a gay man is getting too high profile.
And even directors like him have little to say about casting. He probably was consulted but the studio calls the shots, especially when it's about casting pretty boys. The first Xmen had serious actors who did the characters justice. And he was the director too.

Quote:
That Magneto wife and daughter death scene though... Worse than Man of Steel Superman father death scene.
Ugh. So so bad. Cliché and melodrama. My favorite cocktail

Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Her movie with Miles Teller about her dead child was very good though.
Well, I never heard such stories about Neil Patrick or other actors, but surely you can say anything about anyone, but I really doubt studio pushed him to cast unknown actors. McAvoy was kinda happening and so was Lawrence, but actors who played Nightcrawler and Havoc? Why will studio push them on him? I hope that rumors ain't true, for the sake of young actors, but I tend to believe them.
I actually like McAvoy as Xavier and Fassbender as Magneto. I like Lawrence but she is not fierce Mystique from comics, though she wasn't in the script also. All Apocalypse actors were awful though. But it's not like original actors were amazing, they were just okay for the most part. Though, it was mostly script that didn't give them a chance to shine.
Yep, that scene still makes me laugh. First of all, they both got killed by one bullet. Secondly, magneto can freaking fly. Take them to the hospital! Stop crying.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Her movie with Miles Teller about her dead child was very good though.
The play was awesome. The movie would have been better with a different cast though. But then I guess I was spoiled with the play. No way a Hollywood cast could top those performances.

Quote:
Well, I never heard such stories about Neil Patrick or other actors, but surely you can say anything about anyone, but I really doubt studio pushed him to cast unknown actors.
Sure, why not? They were loading the posters with pretty. Doesn't mean they had to be famous

Quote:
McAvoy was kinda happening
He was not found in the least impressive in his previous 3 or 4 lead roles after King of Scotland but he had been "happening" for a long time already.

Quote:
but actors who played Nightcrawler and Havoc? Why will studio push them on him?
To load the trailers with pretty boys for the girlies, why else? It's not as if these crappy parts were going to attract heavy weight actors. They were basically extras in the McAvoy/Fassbender bromance show
And they look just like the characters in the comics. Neither are exactly the Vin Diesel type.

Quote:
I hope that rumors ain't true, for the sake of young actors, but I tend to believe them.
but based on what?

Quote:
I actually like McAvoy as Xavier and Fassbender as Magneto.
It helps not to know the characters from the comics I guess. Xavier alternates between some arrogant pretty boy douchebag and a whiny jerk passing for a leader (which are pretty much both McAvoy's default acting positions) and Magneto is the Perma-frown angry dude. Meh.

Quote:
I like Lawrence but she is not fierce Mystique from comics, though she wasn't in the script also.
She was just a throwaway character until they realized they had struck gold casting her while she was becoming the hottest young actress in the world. Then they showed her SO MUCH MORE... but they never really did the work to make the character interesting

Quote:
All Apocalypse actors were awful though.
That's not true, and that's what makes it worse.
Oscar Isaac is a great actor but Apocalypse was just so ****ing boring and lame, even Meryl Streep couldn't have done anything with it. And they kept asking him to "make him bigger" which really ends up in a pantomime rather than a performance
Now, the youngins were absolutely lame. Even Sophie Turner who is passable in GoT was terrible.
And I'm not even getting into what they did to poor Psylocke. After months of hyping Olivia Munn's casting... and giving her nothing to do. Ugh.

Quote:
Yep, that scene still makes me laugh. First of all, they both got killed by one bullet. Secondly, magneto can freaking fly. Take them to the hospital! Stop crying.
yeah no. All he can do is REVENGE, MOFOS!

Old 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm not sure teenage girls will lust over some twinks, though, they lust over bands like one direction, so, why not?
Why do I believe them? Well, intuition. But I'm not gonna say my friends or other people he is child molester, until there is proof.
Lawrence becoming big surely had an impact on the whole trilogy. They wouldn't use her as much and maybe Apocalypse would've been better. Oscar Isaac is good, but he really is small for Apocalypse. Though, outfit designs were awful all together. Apocalypse in movies was just nothing compared to comics one and while it can be applied to many marvel movies, including Avengers, most of villains at least felt massive.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm not sure teenage girls will lust over some twinks
well, they're all over so I'm guessing it's not because of gay directors

Quote:
Lawrence becoming big surely had an impact on the whole trilogy. They wouldn't use her as much and maybe Apocalypse would've been better.
Age of Apocalypse was one of the best multibooks crossover in Marvel History but they just couldn't do it right on film because it was relying too much on background between characters, time travel and alternate realities, and you know... on the characters having actual personality, personal history etc, which are areas where even Magneto and Xavier are limited. It would have taken several movies and hours of complex storytelling to do it right. Instead they did what they always do: picked a popular villain for the hype, picked a few cameos for costumes and abilities to look cool in the trailers, and half-assed it (what's the half of half-ass? quarter-ass? )

Quote:
Apocalypse in movies was just nothing compared to comics one and while it can be applied to many marvel movies, including Avengers, most of villains at least felt massive.
true. And ironically, the same was true about the Sentinels. Some of the biggest and scariest "villains" in the Xmen universe and they were just a pretense for another half ass time travel story in a movie

I now have tried Iron Fist. well, I'm not shocked but it turned out to be even worse than I would have thought.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
My sister said she was not that important so I wouldn't have to get anti-histamine shots or anything

Heh I don't even own a tv
Me neither I'm watching on my laptop So far I've seen the first episode of The Crown, I'm on the second season of Grace and Frankie and started watching a danish tv series Rita. Have you seen any of those?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Phoenix and Apocalypse sagas deserve trilogies, not solo movies. They are just too big and complicated for one movie. That's what I like about MCU movies, they just don't do something, they are building up to it and taking their time. And even then, sometimes it feels like it's too fast...
I have to disagree about sentinels, they were amazing in DOFP. They were a real deal, unlike original trilogy where they were used as some training program.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Phoenix and Apocalypse sagas deserve trilogies, not solo movies. They are just too big and complicated for one movie.
I know, right??

Quote:
I have to disagree about sentinels, they were amazing in DOFP. They were a real deal, unlike original trilogy where they were used as some training program.
Oh I wasn't talking about them in the original movies but in the comic books.
I liked them in DOFP. Well, I liked the scenes they were involved in. I just meant that they should have been way more important to the script. As it was, they were just an excuse for some time travel BS to get Wolverine into a First Class cast movie

Quote:
Me neither I'm watching on my laptop
Right? I don't even get tvs anymore!

Quote:
So far I've seen the first episode of The Crown, I'm on the second season of Grace and Frankie and started watching a danish tv series Rita. Have you seen any of those?
I have watched The Crown and I liked it. I was worried it was going to be some kind of sensationalist biopic mini but it's interesting and they're not going for the cheap shots. The cast is very good too.

I love love love Grace and Frankie. I didn't think I'd enjoy it so much but season 2 is even better than S1. I saw a trailer for S3 and I can't wait

I have seen Rita but I read good things so I'll check it out.

Right now I'm catching up on Falling Water. It's a USA Network show so I avoided it when it aired but it turns out it's a really intense and well written show so I'm trying to make it last.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 PM
Extreme Fan

I think they missed opportunity to use Sentinels in the very first movie. In comics Magneto and Charles were like Malcolm X and MLK (I read about it, I'm not that smart, lol) and while being different they have the same enemy. In movies Magneto was that crazy killer from the very start and we haven't seen why. Using sentinels to kill mutants would've been by far better and smarter than creating a machine that will make everyone a mutant, lol. But after first movie it was just too late to use them.
But, considering small budget, I'm sure that sentinels would've looked so dated by now, soooo maybe it was a good choice not to use them?
Btw, what do you think about Batman 90's movies (including 1989 one) and Spider Man original triliogy?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I think they missed opportunity to use Sentinels in the very first movie.
I don't think they had the budget for that in the first movie

Quote:
In comics Magneto and Charles were like Malcolm X and MLK (I read about it, I'm not that smart, lol)
yes you are but yeah I agree they have the same kind of dynamic. A lot of the original Xmen storyline was created at the time of the struggle for civil rights. Stan Lee often said that's how the idea of mutants rights came up, and then it evolved with other civil rights struggles, like Genosha in the 80ies was inspired by the Apartheid and then later on gay rights came into play as well.

Quote:
In movies Magneto was that crazy killer from the very start and we haven't seen why.
Apparently Singer wanted to bridge the gap between the concentration camp scene at the beginning of the first movie and later years with other scenes but the studio thought it was too confusing and they should get into the action faster. I guess thats what they clumsily attempted in First Class?

Quote:
Using sentinels to kill mutants would've been by far better and smarter than creating a machine that will make everyone a mutant, lol.
Yeah but I guess they wanted to show Magneto's bitterness had evolved past the point of madness already. Which lacked proper background if you hadn't read the comics, I agree

Quote:
Btw, what do you think about Batman 90's movies (including 1989 one) and Spider Man original triliogy?
well... Burton's Batman movies were appropriately cartoonish but not comicky enough. I get what he wanted to do and that he was more familiar with the cartoons and the tv show than with the comics but it did a lot of harm to the Batman franchise, honestly. But then I was never a fan of DC comics.

After that, they just went from bad to worse. Poor Clooney is so embarrassed by that movie

As for Spiderman, even as a kid, I was bored to tears by the comics (no, seriously, I cried ). Geeky kid turns secret superheroes and has trouble balancing his secret identity with his mundane teenage life of trying to get the girl? Yawn. I guess I was missing the appropriate Y chromosome to identify with that due
So yeah I wasn't a fan either. I despise Sam Raimi so I wasn't surprised that his movies were so cartoonish and infantile. I don't really think they improved on them with the first reboot and I doubt the second one will be any better.

Wow. Two reboots in 15 years. Maybe they should just give up