Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
OB 5x02 left me bald.
finally saw it tonight and my hands were hurting from tensing.
Poor MK. I hope Ferdinand gets what he deserves
(And Helena is really scaring me now )

Quote:
Well, either way Netflix know their ratings and I'm sure if Sense8 was profitable they won't cancel it, but sadly it wasn't.
But that's my point. It's like saying "well this restaurant that only serves caviar, lobster and truffle for free could have been a success but obviously if it didn't, it's because it wasn't good enough"
There is no ****ing way that a show costing 100 millions a season is going to be profitable, even if it was pay per view. They knew it before they started it and they didn't give a **** about the people watching, they just were doing an Emmy grab. It didn't work so now they're flushing it down regardless of the audience they had and since the numbers are nowhere to be found, assuming that nobody was watching is just speculation too.

Quote:
actually heard about Get Down, lol. Obviously 120 million were just too much for it.
I don't think they started out wanting to spend so much on it but Luhrman went a bit crazy and there were huge delays.

Quote:
The Crown got a lot of nominations, but I'm not sure it's a big enough hit to sustain such a big budget also.
Yeah and they'll probably get zero awards anyway. They don't care about nominations. They want to be crowned but the tv industry is not about to reward Netflix for ****ing with their business

Quote:
Speaking about Marvel shows, they look okay tbh. Yes, I felt like first season of DD is a bit cheap, but second one and other shows looked good.
They look like crap tv, imo. The set shoots are very obvious and the direction is bland and boring. Even the crap Ben Affleck movie was doing a better job at picturing DD's powers. They are not even trying.

Quote:
OITNB really cost 60 millions per episode? Even if all actresses are getting 1 million per episode it's still too much considering how cheap indoor locations are.
I know, right? I don't get where that number is coming from. I'm sure s1 was cheaper and actresses got money out of the popularity of the show (as they should, after all, a lot of them got award nominations) but still, that's

Quote:
Suddenly, Piper and Dolphine are not annoying anymore. I don't know how to explain it.
I'll try but I'm a bit weary

Quote:
First things first, Louise Barnes interview is up!
Now I have to download it so I can listen in the subway

Quote:
I could listen to her for hours It's funny, I totally read a couple of things that she talks about differently, but it's still interesting to hear about her process.
I don't know what's next for her but I can't wait to find out.

Quote:
Not in this country But yeah, Europe or the US would be nice.
Well, your 60ies are still ahead of you

Quote:
Well, I don't get the concept of shipping actual pairings either
It only leads to heartache anyway

Quote:
But I'm not sure I can call myself a shipper, IDK, for me Flint's reunion with Thomas was just about him getting his peace in the end
More about the character than about the pairing, I get it

Quote:
But there's lots of crap, and people enjoy it as well
Music, like television is about 90% crap at least but the trick is to know enough that you find what you like

Quote:
Oh, I just remembered that I didn't see the finale of Pushing Daisies. I know it's not actually a finale, just the last aired episode, but still.
Took me years! I couldn't let go and I didn't even like s2 as much as I did s1 but still, I couldn't.

And speaking of PD, I saw the American Gods season finale and it's heading into Mr Robot territory with big reveals that made you go "wait... I wasn't supposed to know this all along already?" but I'll keep watching for Gillian and Cheno, who had great scenes in the finale.

Quote:
Same for me. I think there were some moments that made me go hmmm, but no, still don't see it that way.
Yeah the actresses commented on it because they were asked, ofc but they said that would be incestuous on too many levels

Quote:
Oh pity. Is it DA level of soapy?
Mostly no because there are no professional victims like Bates but I really hate villains with no motivations who just literally exist to make the protagonists life miserable. Mostly it's bad writing on a human level but also it makes them way too predictable and you can see the plot 3 episodes ahead.
Great acting from the leads though

Quote:
Re: Doctor Who, I kinda stalled mid-S7, I wasn't ready to say goodbye to Amy&Rory even though I knew it was coming, and then I realized it's the last Matt Smith's episodes as well, and I'm just really sad. Excited about Capaldi, ofc, but still sad.
I KNOOOOOW! I was watching s7 with Joana and she's really looking forward to Capaldi but I had to stop at Angels in Manhattan! Rewatching made me all sad again. Amy & Rory (even though I like the next companion)
And ofc then the end of 11 You never forget your first Doctor

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 06-20-2017, 04:46 AM
Supreme Fan

TCA Awards 2017 Nominees: ‘This Is Us’ ‘Atlanta’ ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ | TVLine

TCA Award nominations are in. It's not the Emmy's, but still
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Elite Fan

An amazingly boring tv season gets the awards they deserve, I guess.

Unsurprisingly, The OA is a no-show but then Netflix didn't promote it at all so

Not sure about the Handmaid's Tale getting noms for anything. The only good parts of the show are almost verbatim from the book and every time they went off the book, it was unrealistic, boring, out of character or all of the above.

And I see that CBS must be beating themselves up for opening All Access with TGF instead of Discovery like they wanted to

Old 06-21-2017, 01:25 AM
Extreme Fan

A lot of people dislike MK death, but I liked it. It was the only way a boring clone like her could end up being memorable. She went with a bang. Yeah, he really killed her in a super cruel way, but yeah...
What I don't like is how Helena growth was nearly "cancelled" with this episode, but I don't think they meant her to be a full time good girl or something. She killed people left and right, even if she was zombified, there is like no return. But I can see how people found it dissapointing.
Kidnapkira is getting on my last nerves. I can understand her, kinda, but she has that spoiled kid aura and I just don't like her. Bish, they planned it to save you AND MK is dead because of you. Well, not really, but you got my point. We don't need typical mother/daughter conflict during the last and most important season.
Speaking about Netflix, I think they just had a lot of bad decisions regarding investments in their shows and some shows were cancelled because of it. Sense8 was a clear niche show and Marko Polo was a clear flop no one will care about, etc. They just can't renew flop shows anymore. They also produce too much new content, IMO. Settle down, Netflix. I don't think they need so many shows to keep themselves afloat, even during OITNB/HC/Marvel free months.
The OA not being nominated is not shocking. It was neither a big hit, nor really acclaimed. Poor TGF though.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
A lot of people dislike MK death, but I liked it.
I "liked it" too. People always seem to use the term "gratuitous" way too much. Just like "jumping the shark"
It was violent and gruesome but it wasn't gratuitous and the irony that she died because that a**hole had beef with Rachel 2.0 was just too good. She was there for a specific reason and she had no reason to stick around so at least they gave her a good end.

Quote:
It was the only way a boring clone like her could end up being memorable. She went with a bang. Yeah, he really killed her in a super cruel way, but yeah...
And you know he will pay for it so there's that to look forward to.

Quote:
What I don't like is how Helena growth was nearly "cancelled" with this episode, but I don't think they meant her to be a full time good girl or something.
I don't really see it as a step back. A lot of people do, I know, but there's always been something very primal about Helena. When she was killing for the Neos, she was doing it because she felt she was atoning for her nature but since then she's been taking care of her tribe. Now she protects her children and it's pretty much the same Helena. She's not been raised with boundaries so she'll do to whatever extremes she feels are necessary to protect her own.

Quote:
Kidnapkira is getting on my last nerves. I can understand her, kinda, but she has that spoiled kid aura and I just don't like her. Bish, they planned it to save you AND MK is dead because of you. Well, not really, but you got my point. We don't need typical mother/daughter conflict during the last and most important season.
Well, it's not exactly the typical mother/daughter conflict and I guess it still plays into the idea of Helena and Sarah as mirror twins.
Helena protecting her kids by going wild again and fleeing, and Sarah having to stay and face the music, instead of running like she usually does.
I think it's more about Sarah's growth than about Kira.

Quote:
They also produce too much new content, IMO. Settle down, Netflix. I don't think they need so many shows to keep themselves afloat, even during OITNB/HC/Marvel free months.
They are doing it because they can. Not because they need them. They are flaunting it. They have so much money and they can do whatever they want. They're like kids who are buying all the candy just to show they can afford it and then throw half of it in the trash because they can't eat everything. It doesn't matter either way as long as they showed the other kids they are better than them.

Quote:
The OA not being nominated is not shocking. It was neither a big hit, nor really acclaimed.
here we go again. What's a hit on Netflix? Are we counting how many times morons tweeted about it? Because yeah it's definitely not a show for the tumblr/twitter masses.

Quote:
Poor TGF though.
Why poor? They really weren't good enough for any kind of special recognition, nor original enough to get any special treatment.
They got renewed, which is the best they could hope for considering their numbers and the fact it's just really another season of TGW.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
I "liked it" too. People always seem to use the term "gratuitous" way too much. Just like "jumping the shark"
It was violent and gruesome but it wasn't gratuitous and the irony that she died because that a**hole had beef with Rachel 2.0 was just too good. She was there for a specific reason and she had no reason to stick around so at least they gave her a good end.

And you know he will pay for it so there's that to look forward to.

I don't really see it as a step back. A lot of people do, I know, but there's always been something very primal about Helena. When she was killing for the Neos, she was doing it because she felt she was atoning for her nature but since then she's been taking care of her tribe. Now she protects her children and it's pretty much the same Helena. She's not been raised with boundaries so she'll do to whatever extremes she feels are necessary to protect her own.

Well, it's not exactly the typical mother/daughter conflict and I guess it still plays into the idea of Helena and Sarah as mirror twins.
Helena protecting her kids by going wild again and fleeing, and Sarah having to stay and face the music, instead of running like she usually does.
I think it's more about Sarah's growth than about Kira.

They are doing it because they can. Not because they need them. They are flaunting it. They have so much money and they can do whatever they want. They're like kids who are buying all the candy just to show they can afford it and then throw half of it in the trash because they can't eat everything. It doesn't matter either way as long as they showed the other kids they are better than them.

here we go again. What's a hit on Netflix? Are we counting how many times morons tweeted about it? Because yeah it's definitely not a show for the tumblr/twitter masses.

Why poor? They really weren't good enough for any kind of special recognition, nor original enough to get any special treatment.
They got renewed, which is the best they could hope for considering their numbers and the fact it's just really another season of TGW.
I don't really understand what she was going to do if her plan to run away with Kira succeed. It's like a plot with no "underneath", lol.
Helena/Sarah comparison is interesting, but it would've been better if Helena became calm and Sarah wild. Ofcourse Helena is trying to save her babies, who thought she won't?
It's Helena we are talking about.
Ferdinand dissapointed me. I like the actor, he was even good in OUAT, which means a lot AND I feel like he is good guy after all, but looks like he isn't.
Netflix need to release one show per month to keep audience afloat. I read interesting article about it, but can't find it now. They have few big hits but between them they need some shows that will keep their numbers and subscribers won't leave between these big hits hiatuses. Well, you don't really need an article to understand this. But that's why they keep pulling tons of shows cuz not every one will stick around.
I suggested AO is not a big hit cuz I haven't seen much hype tbh. I'm planning to watch it later this month, looks interesting.
TGF is def better than half of shows they nominated, let's be honest. No numbers, but the fact that renewal came before finale and it will be back with more episodes make me think it was a success. If it wasn't profitable they will either announce renewal after STD () or/and won't increase episodes count.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Supreme Fan

Ahh, I cannot believe that next week will mark the end of Pretty Little Liars The show is horrible if you hate plot-holes, but it was my guilty pleasure for 7 years. By now it's like the only show I can watch on my own. Jos hates it. The complete series releases on dvd on Monday (ofc already pre-ordered!), which is strange, since the finale airs on Tuesday in the USA. Not often they release it so quick after the finale. God, I don't want it to end. I love the humour, the addiction and the chemistry between the leads. I hope they move on to better stuff, they deserve it! Really, really want to know who A.D. is
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Ahh, I cannot believe that next week will mark the end of Pretty Little Liars
I didn't even know it was still on

Quote:
The show is horrible if you hate plot-holes, but it was my guilty pleasure for 7 years.
That's what a true guilty pleasure is

Oh I tried, well am trying, OITNB but daaaamn the first half of the season is horrible! It's like they are spending more time trying to fill the screen with the cheap extractresses they hired last season and flashbacks about just anything as long as they don't feature the expensive cast than about developing a story! I'll keep trying because you said it was getting better but daaamn

Quote:
I don't really understand what she was going to do if her plan to run away with Kira succeed. It's like a plot with no "underneath", lol.
yeah that didn't seem like a very viable plan for anyone

Quote:
Helena/Sarah comparison is interesting, but it would've been better if Helena became calm and Sarah wild. Ofcourse Helena is trying to save her babies, who thought she won't?
Well we haven't seen the last of Sarah yet so maybe it'll end that way

Quote:
Ferdinand dissapointed me. I like the actor, he was even good in OUAT, which means a lot AND I feel like he is good guy after all, but looks like he isn't.
I love James Frain! He is so weird and he can play anything, evil or good, or both so you never really know where his characters are going to land. Ferdinand already disappointed me when he betrayed the Sestras last season, for Rachel but yeah that was a last blow, no pun intended. Now I want him to die, preferably at the hands of Rachel but maybe it'll be the other way around because there is no way Rachel ends the season alive.

Quote:
Well, you don't really need an article to understand this. But that's why they keep pulling tons of shows cuz not every one will stick around.
I get that they need to keep the interest alive but they're going all over the place now and they don't want to be known as the next FOX. People need to believe the shows they are watching will keep going, even the ones they are binging in a few days (hell, especially those! ) or they just will stop getting invested.

Quote:
I suggested AO is not a big hit cuz I haven't seen much hype tbh. I'm planning to watch it later this month, looks interesting.
There hasn't been any hype at all, you're right. And I blame it on Netflix. They have hyped boring shows like Stranger Things TO DEATH this season and the OA was pretty much "the mysterious show with no synopsis" until it was released, and even after. I was surprised they even renewed it but most people I know who tried it have been hooked so maybe it did enough for them to renew.

Quote:
TGF is def better than half of shows they nominated, let's be honest.
Definitely better than network family soap dramas for sure.

Quote:
If it wasn't profitable they will either announce renewal after STD () or/and won't increase episodes count.
STD. Never fails to crack me up. But yeah I think they renewed because it was going ok but they also weren't blown away or they would have promo'ed the hell out of their numbers. Maybe they didn't want to admit failure and they are giving All Access longer to develop... which is not the worst idea in the world, you know? Now they expect everything to be an instant hit.

When the Xfiles started, it was a B show with a ridiculous budget, aired on Geek Night in the late slot. 4 years later, they were knee deep in Emmys and awards and they were moved to Primetime Sunday nights. Sometimes you need to let it happen.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 PM
Extreme Fan

Teen dramas always overstay their welcome, aren't they? It's so funny watching 30 year olds acting they are 17, though. And PLL did a time-jump, but still. It's pretty much a typical ABC tv show, about ordinary people living lives of spies/secret agents.
Sad you don't enjoy OITNB. I may overstimate season a bit, after reading people complaints/problems with it, I've missed.
Well, Stranger Things have "cute" teenagers and known lead actress. It's also by far more accessible. I saw some attractive people in The OA cast, but isn't lead actor an old guy? This is also important. It never had a chance to be as big as 13RW or Stranger Things.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERussia (View Post)
Teen dramas always overstay their welcome, aren't they? It's so funny watching 30 year olds acting they are 17, though. And PLL did a time-jump, but still. It's pretty much a typical ABC tv show, about ordinary people living lives of spies/secret agents.
Sad you don't enjoy OITNB. I may overstimate season a bit, after reading people complaints/problems with it, I've missed.
Well, Stranger Things have "cute" teenagers and known lead actress. It's also by far more accessible. I saw some attractive people in The OA cast, but isn't lead actor an old guy? This is also important. It never had a chance to be as big as 13RW or Stranger Things.
Since when is PLL about a bunch of spies/secret agents? I must have missed the hints I agree that a lot of teen shows go on too long, but I don't mind the age difference actors have compared to the characters. And there are some teen shows I'm glad they run as long as they did. One Tree Hill, PLL, Everwood, Gossip Girl as biggest examples. I'm still sad Veronica Mars ended so fast. Talk about quality.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Teen dramas always overstay their welcome, aren't they?
generally speaking, yes. Look at the CW line up

Quote:
It's so funny watching 30 year olds acting they are 17
I don't know. I was already alive back when the 30 year old cast of the original 90210 was trying to pass as highschoolers so my references are old screwed up

Quote:
And PLL did a time-jump, but still. It's pretty much a typical ABC tv show, about ordinary people living lives of spies/secret agents.
I think I tried a couple of episodes back when it was all the rage but it's clearly not for me

Quote:
Doesn't matter if you enjoyed it, right?
I'm sorry to say the only episodes I have enjoyed almost consistently were the last two of the season but that may have something to do with them trying to wrap things up and the actual cast getting some interesting scenes.

Quote:
Well, Stranger Things have "cute" teenagers and known lead actress.
Ugh. She's honestly horrible in that show. I can't believe she actually got a SAG on the back of these kids (who are way way better than her for the most part) but she's really not the lead either...

Quote:
It's also by far more accessible.
To say the very least. And not because the OA is off-the-wall insane but more because Stranger Things is so boring, you could fall asleep and wake up two episodes later and you wouldn't have missed a thing, which is what people seem to like nowadays because they can tweet at the same time or something.

And look, it's watchable if you don't mind emotionally manipulative by-the-numbers scripts that sound like a mashup of 20 things you have seen before, but it was way overhyped. Also, I live in the 80ies so I guess I wasn't so terribly impressed by every damn musical and "cultural" reference.

Speaking of overhype, I saw Wonder Woman

Quote:
I saw some attractive people in The OA cast
Heh did you? I didn't really notice. I mean, Brit Marling is a good looking woman but she really doesn't play off her looks, especially in that one and the rest of the cast is not showcased that way.

Quote:
but isn't lead actor an old guy?
Nope. What gave you that impression? The lead character (and a very strong emphasis on lead here because the whole story is her narrative and the rest of the cast is supporting) is Brit Marling, who also co-wrote the script.

Quote:
This is also important. It never had a chance to be as big as 13RW or Stranger Things.
Well, the lead is a young woman who isn't a doctor, a lawyer or a cop, and who isn't looking for love in a romcom setting so right there, the other shows had a leg up on it but the story is also weird and intense and you really have to pay attention so for sure, the teenage shows were going to be more visible.

Still, I'm glad they renewed even though, judging by recent events, I doubt it gets another season since Netflix is looking more and more like it's going to head the CW way, which makes sense since teenagers are the perfect target: they are easily satisfied and they have unfettered access to their parents money for entertainment.

Quote:
And there are some teen shows I'm glad they run as long as they did. One Tree Hill, PLL, Everwood, Gossip Girl as biggest examples.
Tried them all. Didn't watch any so I guess they really aren't for me. Well, my teenage years are far behind me

Quote:
I'm still sad Veronica Mars ended so fast. Talk about quality.
Season 1 was pretty good. After that, it was pretty terrible though. They completely changed the tone, loaded the show with love triangles and girly stuff and made it all about her loser boyfriends. What a waste.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Ugh. She's honestly horrible in that show. I can't believe she actually got a SAG on the back of these kids (who are way way better than her for the most part) but she's really not the lead either...
Never liked her, she also looks like Portman and Kira, and I never could tell them apart.
I know Winona is older, but still.
Quote:
To say the very least. And not because the OA is off-the-wall insane but more because Stranger Things is so boring, you could fall asleep and wake up two episodes later and you wouldn't have missed a thing, which is what people seem to like nowadays because they can tweet at the same time or something.

And look, it's watchable if you don't mind emotionally manipulative by-the-numbers scripts that sound like a mashup of 20 things you have seen before, but it was way overhyped. Also, I live in the 80ies so I guess I wasn't so terribly impressed by every damn musical and "cultural" reference.

Speaking of overhype, I saw Wonder Woman
Yeah, it just give people good ol' vibes, I guess. What about WW? I heard she is good, but it's not surprising it's overhyped, cuz last DC movies were so bad, even a so so movie will stand out.
Quote:
Heh did you? I didn't really notice. I mean, Brit Marling is a good looking woman but she really doesn't play off her looks, especially in that one and the rest of the cast is not showcased that way.
Well, her and Patrick Gibson. 2 is not enough? Lol.
Quote:
Well, the lead is a young woman who isn't a doctor, a lawyer or a cop, and who isn't looking for love in a romcom setting so right there, the other shows had a leg up on it but the story is also weird and intense and you really have to pay attention so for sure, the teenage shows were going to be more visible.

Still, I'm glad they renewed even though, judging by recent events, I doubt it gets another season since Netflix is looking more and more like it's going to head the CW way, which makes sense since teenagers are the perfect target: they are easily satisfied and they have unfettered access to their parents money for entertainment.
Netflix shows are getting acclaim unlike CW, though. But yeah, I didn't think they'll go 13RW route few years ago, so who knows what's next. OITNB and HC are not getting any awards anymore, so maybe they awards days are over.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:07 PM
Extreme Fan

OB 5x03 was very good.
Another reminder that Alison is the best character.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:24 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)

Tried them all. Didn't watch any so I guess they really aren't for me. Well, my teenage years are far behind me

Season 1 was pretty good. After that, it was pretty terrible though. They completely changed the tone, loaded the show with love triangles and girly stuff and made it all about her loser boyfriends. What a waste.
I think it makes a difference that I started watching all of those when I was still a teenager myself (except for PLL), so I grew up with most of them. I'm not sure I would have tried them right now if I didn't know them already. I get what you mean about Veronica Mars. I still enjoyed it, but I see what you mean
Old 06-26-2017, 03:37 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Since when is PLL about a bunch of spies/secret agents?
I said "living lives", not them being spies. They def not living lives of normal teenagers.